Question about heels in Japan

yozz

Some time ago I was in Japan and I noticed that most women who wear stiletto heels don't have their feet straight. If you look from behind you see something like I / I / That is: the right foot is about 30 degrees from vertical. It is nearly always the right foot. Then a few weeks ago I walked through Amsterdam and I saw a women who was walking just like this (but now with the left foot). Then I checked, and YES, she looked Japanese. Does anybody know the reason of this? I asked my Japanese hosts but they were very unclear (as usual when you ask a question about something that they consider as a japanese imperfection). Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

My understanding of it is that the Japanese have calcium deficiencies due to their diets during pregnancy and growing up. They eat a lot of fish, rice and veggies, but almost no meat or milk. This leads to the bowed legs you often see on Japanese women (men wear pants most of the time so you wouldn't see it on them). When I am there I notice a lot of women with their toes turned out instead of straight. CJ

In addition, I also have heard that in Japan, babies are carried in a sling on their mother's backs. As they grow, their legs tend to wrap around the mother's waist and grow with a slight bow caused by the babies gripping with their legs?? Sounds plausible to to me.

Could be that that is the answer. It is rather amazing though, because one wonders how they can walk like that in high stiletto heels. But because it is fashion they have to wear them. The Japanese are very fashion minded. My guess is that many must have terrible problems with their ankles. It is a pity, because it doesn't look nearly as elegant as it could. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. Next time I go to Japan, I will try to take some. Y.

There are a quite a few ideas about this. Most are probably urban myths

e.g. young girls are encouraged to do it to mimic Manga cartoon depictions of feminine beauty.

Heres another one - it's the way they sit! - with video accompaniment:-

Always High-Heel Responsibly

There are a quite a few ideas about this. Most are probably urban myths

e.g. young girls are encouraged to do it to mimic Manga cartoon depictions of feminine beauty.

Heres another one - it's the way they sit! - with video accompaniment:-

This is what I meant, but she doesn't have heels that are very high and also she

isn't that much off-center. What I saw in the Ginza was to a level that you wonder

how they don't fall.

In general for non-japanese it doesn't look like Japanese women walk very elegantly

to start with. They are more shuffling their feet. This has to do with the type of

slippers they wear inside, but also, as far as I can tell, with the historical reason of

having to look submissive in a very hierarchical society with a lot of little men with

short tempers and a one meter razorblade (the samurai).

To the Japanese it looks normal of course.

Y.

If you visit Waikiki in Hawaii, the young Japanese male tourists all seem to wear flip-flops which they drag along the pavement. Not very elegant. Not too many heels in Waikiki, but you do see a few spectacular ones (on girls) in the evening sometimes.