Heel Tip Pin Sizes

Hi I guess this would be a trivia question to the pros, but I don't know it. I heard that there were 3 standard pin sizes: 120 and 115 are the ones I know of, but I've encountered a smaller size, and do not know what it is. Does anyone know what that smaller size is? Also it seems to me (and I'm just taking a guess), that the sizes are expressed in thousandths of an inch, but please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I've seen some for sale on Evilbay, and searched with Google. IIRC there are many sizes. (I'll see if I can find a source ... click here.)

I would have thought, there would be at least one 'tip' expert here? I've tried walking distance in boots with plastic tips, and the tips don't last. [As girls keep telling me, high heeled shoes/boots are NOT walking attire!:silly: ]

I've recently had my 4" walking ankle boots re-tipped with steel. They seem to be lasting significantly longer, but they are noisey. Good for me in some respects as I love the 'clip-clop' sound, but they aren't discreet.

Long-term I need to find an inexpensive source of these tips, as paying £5/$10 a week for replacements, isn't realistic. Anyone?

I've seen some for sale on Evilbay, and searched with Google. IIRC there are many sizes. (I'll see if I can find a source ... click here.)

I would have thought, there would be at least one 'tip' expert here? I've tried walking distance in boots with plastic tips, and the tips don't last. [As girls keep telling me, high heeled shoes/boots are NOT walking attire!:silly: ]

I've recently had my 4" walking ankle boots re-tipped with steel. They seem to be lasting significantly longer, but they are noisey. Good for me in some respects as I love the 'clip-clop' sound, but they aren't discreet.

Long-term I need to find an inexpensive source of these tips, as paying £5/$10 a week for replacements, isn't realistic. Anyone?

Noisey? ;) I'll bet they're pure hell on the flooring!

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 3 months later...

there are in general 5 heel tip sizes

101. 110. 115. 120. 125 pins

115 & 125 pin sizes where used mainly up until about 3-4 years ago when the 120 pin took over & is pretty much the universal size off today ( 2008 ). I am currently buying in heels with 120 pins in their thousands as apposed to 115 & 125 which I am buying in 10 or 100's at a time.

the 101 & 110 pins are the dark horses of the bunch used in very fine stiletto designs as they fit a much slimmer tube, but can appear in all variety off shoes & catch you out at any time. there are other sizes out there & some clever skills are needed to maintain these shoes.

Finally you pay your money you get what you pay for, replacement heels can be brought very cheaply on the internet, BUT you will be replacing them far quicker, potentially giving you grief along the way.

I would well advice ESPECIALLY if your doing these yourselves to spend a little more on your heel tips!

Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.