It's the pumps!

pumpedup

I've been frequenting this website for about a year now. I've seen quite a few posts, and seen quite a few avatars. It seems that we're all in pretty much agreement about what type of women's shoe we love the most. It's gotta be the pumps! It's not the slides, the wedges, the flats, the mules, the sandals, or anything like that. Boots can be lumped into the equation, too. Going further, it seems that closed-toe pumps are the prefered pump. Some like peep-toe, some like d'orsay pumps, but the closed-toe pump is king (or queen in this case.) Do we like them 4" and higher? Do we like them 4" and lower? Do we like kitten heel pumps? Do we like stilettos? Do we like platform pumps? Do we like fetish pumps? Do we like career pumps that you see in Macy's or Dillard's? Do we like bridal shoes? Well, i believe we like all of the above. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Are there some with a different opinion, that you like a wedge, or a flat, or a slide, or a mule, or a sandal? How about boots? Do you like stiletto boots, or low heel boots? Booties? Boots with a tall shaft? As for myself, I prefer pumps. I don't care if they're low heel, or high heel. I don't really like the platform pumps, for some reason. I don't really care for d'orsay pumps, or peep-toe pumps, either. I prefer them to be closed-toe, and pretty. I don't like an ugly pump like ones with chunky heels, unless they're very unusual, like one is saw on the Macy's web site the other day. It was made by Steve Madden, if i remember right, and it was hot pink. Anyway, that's a rarity for me. I usually like them with a thin heel. I love the ones with an ankle strap. I have put some Steve Madden "Steven" Mary Jane pumps on layaway at TJ Maxx, with two straps going over the foot. I also like flats, to some extent. I could wear some that would be fashionable. Boots are also very fashionable. I prefer them with a tall shaft, or even a bootie. As long as they are heeled boots. I don't like boots that have no heel. so, does anyone else have any likes and dislikes about which kinda shoe they really like more than others?

To me, it's the boot. The taller the shaft the better, the thinner the heel, also the better, but only up to about 5 inches. After that the shape of the shoe tends to be distorted to my point of view, of course. Leather is excellent but patent is even finer. Flats, uggg!!!

It's all about the heel!

Depends on the mood. I have just about every style you could imagine. From boots to pumps. Nothing lower than 3" heels. I guess you could say my favorites are mary janes and d-orsey cut with 4" to 5" heels. Next would be my 3 1/2" blade heel Bakers ankle boots cause I can wear them all day and then my TommyHill knee high 4"stacked heel boots etc etc.

real men wear heels

Back in my twenties, I felt the same way: I wanted to see closed pumps, no sides of feet, no toes. Since then, I have broadened my preferences (and my wardrobe) to include d'orsay ankle straps and peep toes. But pumps are still first with me, and always will be.

I would plump for boots over pumps, my preference being for a black 4" stiletto. Ankle or knee height. Not too pointy either. That said, there are some lovely pumps out there at the moment. My buying and wearing habits just haven't progressed into that arena yet. I have been sorely tempted though. There is a siren-call coming out of every branch of New Look at the moment. How long will I be able to resist it? :santa_hat:

Always High-Heel Responsibly

Well, I cut my teeth on my late mother's pumps when I was 13 and to this day, it remains my favorite shoe style which I've always loved. To me, nothing, and I do mean n-o-t-h-i-n-g says "sex appeal" like a pair of black leather pumps! WHOO-HOO!!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Pumps are definitely special. The distinctive shape, the rise of the arch and the curves of the shoe around the foot all make for a classic look. Some guys can wear a pump and look great and on a woman, pumps are virtually always stunning. That said, I don't think pumps work on me -- I'm just the wrong shape. This is one of the reasons I don't think women have anything to fear from us guys "stealing their limelight" by wearing heels. Women will always be women and they're just prettier than we are.

Have a happy time!

Pumps are definitely special. The distinctive shape, the rise of the arch and the curves of the shoe around the foot all make for a classic look. Some guys can wear a pump and look great and on a woman, pumps are virtually always stunning.

That said, I don't think pumps work on me -- I'm just the wrong shape. This is one of the reasons I don't think women have anything to fear from us guys "stealing their limelight" by wearing heels. Women will always be women and they're just prettier than we are.

I have to dissagree with you. Alot of women are out of shape and cannot walk well in any heel. Many have poor dress/presention skills. With care, most guys here can pull off the heel look.

totter along into history

Well, I cut my teeth on my late mother's pumps when I was 13 and to this day, it remains my favorite shoe style which I've always loved. To me, nothing, and I do mean n-o-t-h-i-n-g says "sex appeal" like a pair of black leather pumps! WHOO-HOO!!

I couldn't agree more. The ones in your avatar can be considered "reference" shoes for me.

In my case, it is an interesting study. If any major component is changed, the interest is lost. e.g.

1) Closed back to sling back or open back

2) Open instep to covered instep (no boots!), but straps are ok.

3) Stiletto heel to block heel or other designs

4) Heel too far back (it needs to land no further back than the highest point)

5) Hiding them under ground-dragging pants. Haven't they gone away yet?

I've decided that "peep-toes" are ok, for the most part. However, not so much that it becomes a sandal.

Am I picky or what? I'm just glad that "plain" black is the most common color. :santa_hat:

I couldn't agree more. The ones in your avatar can be considered "reference" shoes for me.

In my case, it is an interesting study. If any major component is changed, the interest is lost. e.g.

1) Closed back to sling back or open back

2) Open instep to covered instep (no boots!), but straps are ok.

3) Stiletto heel to block heel or other designs

4) Heel too far back (it needs to land no further back than the highest point)

5) Hiding them under ground-dragging pants. Haven't they gone away yet?

I've decided that "peep-toes" are ok, for the most part. However, not so much that it becomes a sandal.

Am I picky or what? I'm just glad that "plain" black is the most common color. :santa_hat:

Great minds think alike, my friend. And no, you're not picky. I'm also a strict traditionalist when it comes to pumps. No buckles, bows, straps or other needless adornments, no peep toes, no scalloped sides, nothing that takes away from the clean, simple yet gorgeous lines of a plain pump, the most luscious shoe around. By the by, I'm sad to say that ground dragging pants and jeans are still very much in vogue. UGH!

P.S.

As an anime fan, I found your avatar most interesting. Would that happen to be Sylia Stingray from Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040?

I too am pretty much a plain high stiletto heeled pump aficionado, although a strategically placed slim Mary Jane buckled strap, certain ornamentations and treatments on or for the toe box can enhance the over all look. Once I saw and really!, really!!, really!!! ... wanted to buy a pair of high heeled pumps, but couldn't right then, so they became a sorely missed opportunity. They were a pair of black patent 14cm high stiletto heeled pumps with the short length pointed toe box treated with 6 pleats that folded toward the point. These pleats were centered across the A-line vamp cut design radiating out from a .5cm margin with 3 of the pleats symmetrically placed on each side of each shoe. The pleats were spaced about .6cm apart at the vamp margin and the spacing widened as much as 1.2cm as they approached the side of the toe box to the sole. The closed pointed area of the toe box was left without any other enhancement than the mirror-like smoothness of the glossy patent leather. The stiletto heel had the shape of a tall stemmed champagne glass that was centered on the whole heel of the foot. I haven't seen even a close match to this pump in any store or advertized in any of the fashion media since then, so it lives in my memory as a fantasized dream. Someday, maybe some entrepreneurish shoe company will again market such a vision of excellence, should they happen to receive inspiration from this posting (hint!). I hope they would be so kind to let me have the chance in helping with the designs to create again the allurance of the vision I had beheld, as they say "once upon a time". (Sigh!) Thanks for taking your time in this shared memory.

As an anime fan, I found your avatar most interesting. Would that happen to be Sylia Stingray from Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040?

Yes, it is Sylia. I found the picture as fan art somewhere, but it was black and white only. I tried to color it as best I could. It's too bad the original was relatively small. Sylia is one of the best dressed anime characters around...

Though I kept the shoes red on my avatar as that was the color she would wear with this outfit, I also made a black shoe version (attached). I'm still debating which color is best?

Back to the topic, I should also mention that square toes are not good, but they typically aren't seen with stilettos anyway. I prefer a pointed toe (as long as it isn't overdone), but don't mind a more rounded toe.

As for heel height, 3" can be enough, depending on the design. I would prefer to see a 3" heel further forward than a "cheating heel" as I call them when they are set so far back.

post-909-133522851812_thumb.jpg

Yes, it is Sylia. I found the picture as fan art somewhere, but it was black and white only. I tried to color it as best I could. It's too bad the original was relatively small. Sylia is one of the best dressed anime characters around...

Though I kept the shoes red on my avatar as that was the color she would wear with this outfit, I also made a black shoe version (attached). I'm still debating which color is best?

A-HA! Knew it! By the by, stick with red as it matches up well with Sylia's outfit.

Back to the topic, I should also mention that square toes are not good, but they typically aren't seen with stilettos anyway. I prefer a pointed toe (as long as it isn't overdone), but don't mind a more rounded toe.

Square toes were all the rage with pumps (even moreso with boots) back in the late 90's into the early 00's, saw plenty of examples in the stores, even had a couple of pairs from Payless, but I guess the style just plain died out. Actually, I didn't think square toes were that bad, I liked them in fact, for sure, they provided more in the way of comfort than even round toes.

I kinda liked the square toe pumps. I have a pair, but the new rounded toe pumps are far superior. Round toe pumps like the Jessica Simpson "Henri" pump, and the Steve Madden "Luvvy" pump are so feminine and sweet looking! They feel so great on the feet, compared to pointed toes that get narrower and narrower until your toes are almost meshed together.

On a woman, my choice would be either (a) a slingback court (pump) with a pointed toe, preferably with open sides and no ankle strap; or (:santa_hat: a sandal in much the same style but fully open at the toe. In both cases, with a 'proper' stiletto heel (slender, curvy and not set too far back), 4.5 - 5.5" high, depending upon the wearer and occasion. If I was in heels (i.e. I could physically wear them and they were acceptable fashion for men), I would favour a fairly plain high ankle boot with side zip, pointed toe and 4.5 - 5" stiletto heel. In other words, something that takes an accepted male boot style into (literally) higher realms. A boot (or loafer) will always be 'original male equipment' whereas a normal pump/court appears essentially female regardless of its heel.

Hi Puffer, Don't worry about what you may feel is acceptable for men as it depends on the whole outfit. You can't easily just stick high heels on a man who is just wearing drab mens clothes and expect it to look good. This forum ought to be more concerned with our looks from the ankles up if we want to wear higher heels. PS. Pumps are superb. I have loads !

You won't get me wearing flat shoes...I really can't do it.

Hi Puffer,

Don't worry about what you may feel is acceptable for men as it depends on the whole outfit. You can't easily just stick high heels on a man who is just wearing drab mens clothes and expect it to look good. This forum ought to be more concerned with our looks from the ankles up if we want to wear higher heels.

PS. Pumps are superb. I have loads !

You make a good point, mikeheel, although many posters on this board demonstrate that they can look good in heels with little or no alteration to their normal male attire, drab or otherwise.

However, my point was that I would not feel able to wear 'proper' heels in public unless and until they became generally accepted as a male fashion. A cowardly cop out, maybe, but that is the reality, for me and many other men. I can still admire and imagine, though!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I too am pretty much a plain high stiletto heeled pump aficionado, although a strategically placed slim Mary Jane buckled strap, certain ornamentations and treatments on or for the toe box can enhance the over all look.

Once I saw and really!, really!!, really!!! ... wanted to buy a pair of high heeled pumps, but couldn't right then, so they became a sorely missed opportunity. They were a pair of black patent 14cm high stiletto heeled pumps with the short length pointed toe box treated with 6 pleats that folded toward the point. These pleats were centered across the A-line vamp cut design radiating out from a .5cm margin with 3 of the pleats symmetrically placed on each side of each shoe. The pleats were spaced about .6cm apart at the vamp margin and the spacing widened as much as 1.2cm as they approached the side of the toe box to the sole. The closed pointed area of the toe box was left without any other enhancement than the mirror-like smoothness of the glossy patent leather. The stiletto heel had the shape of a tall stemmed champagne glass that was centered on the whole heel of the foot.

I haven't seen even a close match to this pump in any store or advertized in any of the fashion media since then, so it lives in my memory as a fantasized dream. Someday, maybe some entrepreneurish shoe company will again market such a vision of excellence, should they happen to receive inspiration from this posting (hint!). I hope they would be so kind to let me have the chance in helping with the designs to create again the allurance of the vision I had beheld, as they say "once upon a time". (Sigh!)

Thanks for taking your time in this shared memory.

I've found some heels that are close to those I've mentioned. They are the Rockstud Platform Pumps by Valentino. I haven't found the patent leather version, these have a bit of a platform, and the stiletto heel is positioned toward the back of the heel which is kind of discouraging, but the toe box is the closest replica I've seen. Hopefully, I can communicate with Valentino and get the high stiletto patent leather pumps I have been searching for.

For me the classic stiletto pump is my dream shoe. Clearly a Lamborghini among footwear. Why would I drive uhh... wear anything else. The stiletto pump is all in it's line and curves. And I do occasionally wear them. My black patent 5 inch stilettos.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

For me, I like pumps with a round toe and at least something of a platform. These kind of pumps look good and are quite comfortable to walk in. As to the issue of slingbacks, I like them as long as they are closed toe style.