Steel or Plastic heel tips?

I think that those signs are intended to address issues of health and decorum. I have never seen anyone with any kind of footwear actually refused service or asked to leave. But I have seen and heard of individuals without footwear or shirts refused service; also, to a lesser extent, those who are merely wearing flip-flops or "thongs", which are really a rather flimsy excuse for footwear. Hawaii is the only place I've been where they have had widespread acceptance, but most other places rather frown on them.

Now I won't bother to go into the issues of why bare feet are unacceptable, especially in food establishments; and in like manner, I think that the no shirt rule is also rather self-explanitory. :w00t2: Again, Hawaii is the only place where I have seen bare-breasted women in public, and while I am not personally offended, I do think it in poor taste. Even nursing mothers would be well-advised to seek some sort of privacy.;-)

Yes, GNH, I understand the practice and can see that the rule (whether for shirts or footwear) is essentially one of decorum/decency and comfort. I'm not so clear on the question of 'health' however, if that is indeed the right word; please explain. Clearly, a sweaty or dirty body is an unpleasant presence in an establishment selling or serving open food etc and, if tolerated at all, ought to be covered. But bare feet in sandals - where is the special hazard to the public (as distinct from the 'owner') that is any different from that posed by e.g. unwashed hands? And why not insist on masks, hair-nets etc also? Perhaps the 'health' issue is really one of 'safety' of the customer, e.g. if he drops hot food or cutlery on his bare tootsies; am I right?

I don't know about the US, but flip-flops and similar very open sandals are worn almost everywhere in the UK by women whenever the weather allows (and often when it doesn't). A dressy version would be perfectly acceptable in even the smartest restaurant etc. Boys and men wear them too in the summer, as casual rather than dressy footwear, but that could include a restaurant visit unless the establishment had a dress code dictating style (rather than health/safety) limitations. (I don't particularly favour flip-flops and other very casual footwear being worn, by either sex, usually as a convenient 'cop out' (= sloppy) when more stylish footwear would often be better, but I can see their appeal - and I wear them myself.)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puffer, this thread is so not about flip flops and hygiene.

Can we go back soon please?.

:w00t2:

Sorry - I was sent off at a tangent by earlier posters' comments. Maybe a subject for discussion elswehere? ;-)

Well, for spike heels, wouldn't steel last longer than plastic? I'm fortunate in that I've yet to repalce any of mine, but if I had to, I'd go with steel.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Well, for spike heels, wouldn't steel last longer than plastic? I'm fortunate in that I've yet to repalce any of mine, but if I had to, I'd go with steel.

Steel does indeed last much longer. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have a pair of 4" oxfords that has Plastic tips, I wore them to the cinema and was fine with it. I had them retipped and still wore them to the cinema and to be honest I proly got a few look but no comments or anything. It was psychologically harder to wear the steel tips in public as I knew they wold be louder and get attention and I couldnt park anywhere near the entrance and had to walk the entire length of the carpark... Now the thing with me is I am not a slim or slender person and although I have been losing weight I am still a ladies size 28 (was a 36). I dont know if weight makes the heels louder but it does seem it lol. Andi

Smile and the whole world smiles with you, Fart and your on your own!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose plastic tips cause less damage to floors but then I quite like the damage metal tips cause.

Even when it's to busted tiles?

I like heels, but not the noise.

I'll stick with leather heels. I don't mind a hard composite cap to lessen the heel wear and provide some good traction, especially as these are easily replaced, increasing the life of the shoe.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

About the slippage factor while walking with metal tipped heels on very hard glossy smooth surfaces. However, before I present my point, I prefer metal tips for stilettos because of their better durability than plastic and the noteable attention grabbing feature leaves no doubt you are heeling. I have a few metal tipped stiletto heels from manufactures outside of the U. S. Most of my plastic tipped heels were processed within the U. S. Makes me wonder if the plastics are being used to make me replace them sooner. I am grateful that some pairs even have two extra plastic tips inside the shoebox the heels come in, so manufacturers are aware of the regular use span of plastic tips is short for stiletto heels. Whether in flats or heels, metal appliques or tips on the bottom of heels or soles, such as tap shoes or high heels, have the tendency to be as slippery as being on smooth ice. So, extra care has to be taken in the stride and step placement, while walking. Even plastic tips can slip in these conditions. From personal experience in shopping malls, airports, and other places of business, when I was least expecting it, my stilettos have slipped. So far, nothing major like a complete prone position has happened, because I was able to stay some what in control, but it was very unnerving and embarrassing for a few moments. About a year back, I took a pair of my worn stilettos to have the tips replaced and the cobbler put a hard rubber tip on, instead of the plastic. The rubber tips were about an eighth of an inch higher than new plastic tips and so much better in their support. Even though I miss the sound of the harder tips, the security I have enjoyed is well worth the difference. Obviously, as the plastic tips become worn down, I replace them with the rubber tips. The rubber tips seem to last a little longer than the plastic and they offer so much more in assurance.

About the slippage factor while walking with metal tipped heels on very hard glossy smooth surfaces. However, before I present my point, I prefer metal tips for stilettos because of their better durability than plastic and the noteable attention grabbing feature leaves no doubt you are heeling. I have a few metal tipped stiletto heels from manufactures outside of the U. S. Most of my plastic tipped heels were processed within the U. S. Makes me wonder if the plastics are being used to make me replace them sooner. I am grateful that some pairs even have two extra plastic tips inside the shoebox the heels come in, so manufacturers are aware of the regular use span of plastic tips is short for stiletto heels.

Whether in flats or heels, metal appliques or tips on the bottom of heels or soles, such as tap shoes or high heels, have the tendency to be as slippery as being on smooth ice. So, extra care has to be taken in the stride and step placement, while walking. Even plastic tips can slip in these conditions. From personal experience in shopping malls, airports, and other places of business, when I was least expecting it, my stilettos have slipped. So far, nothing major like a complete prone position has happened, because I was able to stay some what in control, but it was very unnerving and embarrassing for a few moments.

About a year back, I took a pair of my worn stilettos to have the tips replaced and the cobbler put a hard rubber tip on, instead of the plastic. The rubber tips were about an eighth of an inch higher than new plastic tips and so much better in their support. Even though I miss the sound of the harder tips, the security I have enjoyed is well worth the difference. Obviously, as the plastic tips become worn down, I replace them with the rubber tips. The rubber tips seem to last a little longer than the plastic and they offer so much more in assurance.

:clap:BRAVO on the rubber tips! ;-)

I very seriously doubt that the plastic tips are being deliberately mfgrd. for early wear. Somewhere on this forum a study (disscussion) was done on the amount of damage that stilettoes do on aircraft flooring. Even though I have built aircraft (C-130s; C-141s; C-5A); I was greatly astonished to discover the amount of pressure a 120 lb. woman can excert on a high heel with, say, 1/4 sq inch stiletto tips. Let me tell you, they are well-named and fall just short of the real thing! So if all that pressure is going out through the heel tip, just what do you suppose is happening to the tip itself? Therefore, almost any material you care to name short of a high tensil steel is going to wear. That's part of the price of wearing high fashion heels. :w00t2:

However, in view of the damage that heels do to any kind of flooring, I am very negative on steel tips. With plastic, leather, or rubber, at least the floors stand some sort of chance.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Most of my new heels have plastic come with heel tips when I get them. when they need to be replaced, I replace them with rubber tips because I like to wear them around our house and they are much easier on our hardwood floors.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My personal choice is plastic or rubber. I have several pairs with all metal heels. So those are what they are. The hardwood floors are much better off with the softer tips and metal tips on a wet or snow covered slate walkway is a broken ankle waiting to happen. I am not a fair weather heeler and plastic or rubber is much better in the outdoor world. Jen J.

Just back from the Scottish outback, and have read this thread right through. It's steel tips for me. I find plastic tips are lethal on wet cobbles and here in Edinburgh, there are miles of cobbled streets. Steel tips are much better on wet cobbles - not perfect, but better. It annoys me that whenever I buy new shoes, the heels have plastic tips. I bought a quantity of steel tips some time ago and replace them myself. All you need is a pair of Mole Grips and considerable strength plus a small hammer. If I can find the on-line contact for steels heel tips, I will post it here. It is also steel tips for me on ice as they bite into the ice and slide only slowly whereas plastic and rubber slide without warning often causing the wearer to fall heavily

I think steel tips might be better if you are going out and could change into them once you got to a club,restaurant,etc. where you'd be on even and hard surfaces the whole time. But, in general, like Jen J. says plastic or rubber tips are better for hardwood floors and, like Jen, I'm not a fair weather heeler either. Since we both live in the Upper Midwest we can vouch there is a lot of UNFAIR weather around here! You have to put snow treads on your heels in the winter here! HappyinHeels

Because heels for me are just something I like to do because it makes me happy, and because I have become a bit of a showoff, I like the attention that the steel heel gets... Also because I am a little bit cuddly I fond that the plastic tips don't last that long... Andi

Smile and the whole world smiles with you, Fart and your on your own!!!

• 2 months later...