Steel or Plastic heel tips?

What are your experiences of getting your shoes reheeled too - quality and costs...:santa_hat:

I find it's best to get the tips replaced earlier rather than later as it reduces the likelyhood of damage - peeling and scuffing of the lower part of the heel.

There's a place in town here thar will replace the tips and polish them for £10.00 per pair.

I don't know if that's an average price or not but I've no complaints as to the quality.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's about standard price. In terms of quality, it's alarming how disrespectful some cobblers are to a gorgeous pair of shoes. I found one cobbler on Holloway Road who was very accomodating given that I took all my extreme heels there... others however are not quite as happy for the work and look at me as if I'm a prostitute just because I own 6" heels.

Sounds a bit like paying for ink cartridges for printers, before you know it, you can get a new pair (or printer for that matter) for the price! Not that an excuse to buy shoes is needed eh? So are they able to sort the peeling bits or hence the reason to replace them before its too late!

That's about standard price.

In terms of quality, it's alarming how disrespectful some cobblers are to a gorgeous pair of shoes. I found one cobbler on Holloway Road who was very accomodating given that I took all my extreme heels there... others however are not quite as happy for the work and look at me as if I'm a prostitute just because I own 6" heels.

I think I know the shop you mentioned.

Not far from Islington tube station.

I don't remember the name. I went through and looked in the workshop there. They certainly are craftsmen. I seem to remember the boss being a little old Italian guy?.

others however are not quite as happy for the work and look at me as if I'm a prostitute just because I own 6" heels.

See, people like that give us a bad reputation. Whatever he thinks, its all cobblers to me! You do get the usual ones too here like Timpsons or your run of the mill keycutter etc, obviously dont take pay as much care and attention as they would or should. If its anything like the keys they have cut, I am feeling somewhat weary that soon, I will be able to open my door with a heel than a key!

The one I was thinking of is quite a bit nearer to the Archway end. Really tiny place by the overland station there. I don't live in the Islington area anymore so stopped going there. I moved over to Totteridge over a year ago and am yet to find a local cobbler who takes pride in his work. I went to one in Southgate a month ago only to find that he'd ignored my request for metal tips and had also used plastic tips that were too big for the heel and had roughly tried to grind them down to size, but didn't do it enough so they were still too big!

I think I know the shop you mentioned.

Not far from Islington tube station.

I don't remember the name. I went through and looked in the workshop there. They certainly are craftsmen. I seem to remember the boss being a little old Italian guy?.

Apparently, Italians are very good shoe repairers. So I have heard.

Very intresting thread,

Thank you for the intresting communication between MetalTips, Amanda and Cinnamon.

I just like it, also the advice.

As Cinnamon mentioned the High Heels from the 40's and 50's are great....

I also love the sound of metal heels.... Like in a church, when you here that sound you have to look at her.... As earlier in another forum I should go to her and give her a compliment.

I have a pair of ancle boots with metal heel...I love it.

FL

FoxyLady

Can't say I've seen it before but there does seem to be more of a trend for heel type designs as in the back of the foot bit. The name escapes me. Re Italians, I put my finger to any italian designers or brands. Only the popular Jimmy Choos, Ginas and Blahniks. I think there was a Choos inside Selfridges London too? Imagine diamond tipped heels for total resilience, imagine the damage you'd do to all that marble! Shuffles away innocently... :santa_hat:

You should see what I did to the Lake district, dont believe them when they say the gorges were formed by ice and rivers! :w00t2: I guess it would be a waste if no one could appreciate the rock at the end of each tip. Eat your heart out those celebs who put rocks in teeth or mobile phones - you read it here first!

Re Italians, I put my finger to any italian designers or brands.

Ooops, should have read "I can't put" :santa_hat:

How about the concept of exchanging really expensive shoes in wedding vows? Contentious?

If you insist Cinnamon. I will be the one with the bandaged and bloodied hands as somehow you and AS fail to fully observe the rules. Right or left hand Red does not mean any heel! :santa_hat:

Sorry MT, I had to read this thread a couple of times.... Twister....Doughhhh...

Don't forget I can play aswell, not as good as the Ladies.... but it will work...

FL

FoxyLady