Steel or Plastic heel tips?

I really can't see why people would want to wear shoes with plastic heel tips. They wear out so quickly and they just don't sound right either. I suppose plastic tips cause less damage to floors but then I quite like the damage metal tips cause. Which do you prefer and why?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you Amanda on the wear and sound, I heard that there was a certain health and safety issue with metal tips - apparently they dont absorb the shocks that plastic tips would. Not sure if its a myth or not but seems moreso when getting heels from abroad. Anyone heard similar?

Metal tips are more slippery I guess that's a health and safety issue. Also after after half a mile of pavement I can feel those metal tips connecting with my spine almost. But there are Taxies.:santa_hat:

On the slippery note, I notice that there seems to be an impetus to wear heels (boots - to keep feet warm?) in the winter when it has been snowing or icy. Yet seemingly get about fine if not better than the casual flat soled public. Is there a "method to the madness" as it were? :w00t2: Another plus point for the metal tip perchance? :santa_hat:

I'm with you Amanda on the metal tips. Last longer and sound amazing on concrete. I've also heard about the H&S issues with metal tips though in terms of the lack of shock absorption. I've heard that it's the knees that take the shock instead. Oh well, one has to suffer for art :santa_hat:

On the slippery note, I notice that there seems to be an impetus to wear heels (boots - to keep feet warm?) in the winter when it has been snowing or icy. Yet seemingly get about fine if not better than the casual flat soled public. Is there a "method to the madness" as it were? :w00t2: Another plus point for the metal tip perchance? :santa_hat:

Walking in ice and snow in stilettos is murder.

It's like wearing skates.

But then there are taxies.

Metal tips are worse in such conditions.

And there was I thinking they would be like ice-picks getting you by! It is good to hear women like the sound too, does it make you feel any different if you had an identical pair of heels but you had to alternate between metal and plastic. Would no noise really change it that much? Sorry about all the Q&A, I am genuinely interested if not fascinated by your views and love of heels from a female perspective on the basis that heels are sometimes worshipped by women a la heels and handbag moments. If you know about the Professor Brantano ads, you will know what I mean ( I hope!) I'll stick to this thread instead if it saves you jumping between two threads?

It is good to hear women like the sound too, does it make you feel any different if you had an identical pair of heels but you had to alternate between metal and plastic. Would no noise really change it that much?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

Sorry, will have a go at rewording a bit. As you and Cinnamon mentioned about the sound of metal heels vs plastic heels, does the sound or lack of change you and how you feel. Say you had two pairs of the identical style, one with metal and one with plastic, and you switched between each pair on alternate days, would you feel any different all because of the sound? Hope that is clearer.

Sorry, will have a go at rewording a bit.

As you and Cinnamon mentioned about the sound of metal heels vs plastic heels, does the sound or lack of change you and how you feel.

Say you had two pairs of the identical style, one with metal and one with plastic, and you switched between each pair on alternate days, would you feel any different all because of the sound? Hope that is clearer.

well all I can say is I love the percussive sound of metal tips, I never really analyzed it but thinking about it now I guess it makes me feel more powerful and in control, not exactly like gestapo but sort of..lol

I agree with the power element. The noise demands attention and announces one's presence.

Exactly, there's nothing like a metal tip scuff of a marble hotel lobby floor or cathedral to draw a few admiring glances.

I guess the same element you find in sharp suits and power dressing to a degree. Having said that, Cinnamon - your point about "demanding attention". Would you then think what people are looking at when they turn to look at you in a public area? I adore the sound too but I cant always find myself to look for that reason. Whats your view on things like ankle chains and also things that I have seen before - the shredded trouser hem. Fashion or faux pas? Thanks again for the insight and openness.

Metal tips - Do you find that you can't look because you're afraid of it being too apparent of how much you enjoy it? I love it when people look. I guess I'm just a bit of an exhibitionist really haha. Besides, it's empowering to know that you've made somebody weak at the knees simply by walking past :santa_hat: As for ankle chains and shredded hems... not really my thing to be honest. I, personally, am more of a traditional style person in terms of fashion insomuch that I take my inspiration from 40s-50s hollywood starlets and John Willie illustrations.

Cinnamon - Not so much about being to apparent, but understanding women's expectations in general about the desired effect. I know so far it is the view of you and Amanda but then thats why I am interested in your views and feelings. For instance, how do you feel about what I am asking? Open-minded or somewhat shocked or horrified? If I flip the scenario, perhaps some women prefer metal for long life and less maintenance but dont want the attention that the sound ...demands. I remember a night out in London once when returning home late, she started tip-toeing alongside me down a silent street. I think I may be more inclined to look next time Cinnamon, knowing that its "compulsory viewing". I have spotted a few shredded hems in my time, faux pas and laziness duly noted! :santa_hat:

I am interested in your views and feelings. For instance, how do you feel about what I am asking? Open-minded or somewhat shocked or horrified?

:santa_hat:

I love it, it's unusual, do ask away

My mistake there Cinnamon, I realised what I had said once I posted it! :w00t2: With my new found knowledge it may all end up in a book called Heels are from Mars AND Venus or something! :santa_hat: I have though realised your reference to the 1940s and 50s. The high of heel fashion and corsetry - Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn et al.

at the risk of upsetting a great thread, I shouldn't think there is a member of this board, wearer or admirer who doesn't love the sound of a metal tipped stiletto heel. I know it gets me every time. TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

The more the merrier TB2. It has been a pleasure getting an insight and opinion from a woman's perspective. I know how I feel about it and I admit I adore the sounds and elegance of it all. Apart from the heightened sense of hearing now, I will now also have Cinnamon's quote "it's empowering to know that you've made somebody weak at the knees simply by walking past" ingrained in my mind! :w00t2: Im also interested in a woman's preference in style, courts, knee boots, heel height kitten or otherwise and perhaps material. I know in my earlier "get to know you" posts, I was kind of anti-patent. I think its was all the squeeking or I think someone said once they sometimes stuck! :santa_hat: Is it that if material is nice, it makes the shoe regardless of heel height, but I know I will contradict myself as I adore high heels over kitten and suede is gorgeous.