21st century

shortskip

Hello everyone, and a peacefull and happy new year. I wear skirts, pantyhose and knee high boots. That's my favorites. BUT WHY? I think I like it much more than the stupid old men fashion that let me looks like a grey mouse. In many communities in the web I read always the same things - a man don't have to wear those things You must be a fool, if your wear those things you are so or so or so... I don't want to read this standards of closed eyes lookaround! WE ARE H U M A N in the 21st century, but a lot of people actes in stupid ways of thinking in black and white. I hope it'll be better and many of the guys in this community wrote the wright thoughts. My main interest is to be free and feel free and let everybody do also. We all have the same wright. But please remember that wearing some unusal things is not the important for us all. I think peace, water and food are more important for the whole world. I can't be really free when I also remember that there are so many people around the world, who haven't our luxus to wear what they want - they are often hungry. I'll say to focus the brain to our clothes is ok, but that's NOT most important. Sorry about my english but I hope you can follow the meaning best wishes to all of you shortskip

yes, I fully agree shortskip, it IS the 21st. century & people SHOULD have better things to think about than how we as MEN wish to dress (including what he wish to put on our FEET!!)

When you think about it, most people in the Western world still don't have that 21st century mentality and even if they did, it hasn't reached a level where most people can accept men's' choices of whatever footwear style they want.

While Unisex fashion is becoming broader each day, it still usually means that another piece of men's clothing has become fashionable female attire.

The truth is that human males are not expected to be the "beautiful sex" (as opposed to a lot of natures' creatures) so that’s why we don’t have the fashion choices women do.

Society today still dictates we men need practical clothing for work, for day to day functionality and as a way to identify our position in society (blue collar, white collar, a policeman, a judge etc), not to dazzle females and attract them like peacocks (that completely ended in the 19th century aka the Victorian era). It's sad that women are also brainwashed to think like that too, so much that most oppose the idea of men "borrowing" stuff from their side of the closet, just as they've been doing from ours for the past 60 years.

Just think how ridiculous it is that the most fashionable/attractive piece clothing a man can wear to attract a woman is a suit, most notably a tuxedo. Don’t get me wrong, I like wearing suits and tuxedos (who doesn’t want to feel like James Bond once in a while) but THAT'S BASICALLY IT.

Don't get me even started when it comes to men's shoes. We all know how "vast" our choices are when going to shop for shoes. We literally have hundreds of style of runners to choose from. Oh no! Let's buy those vintage style…runners.

But wait! How about those classy oxfords? They come in a mind blowing 2 colors!:w00t2:

To sum it up, in our best and most attractive attire, we men look like a bunch of Penguins while you can’t possibly say that women only have ONE set of attire to look their best in. How very sad.

At the present time, the best we can come to expect from Western society in general is a "whatever floats his boat" response, i.e. not real approval but more of a "none of my business" form of tolerance.

In order for heels to become fashionable for men a few things need to happen:

1- Short term: notable fashion designers decide to design heels for men, famous men start wearing heels (imagine Jonny Depp, Brad Pitt or Bono in heels. Al Gore in environmentally friendly wedges etc), Pop culture advertising that promotes that men wearing heels is cool, famous beautiful women dating men in heels (Angelina Jolie and her hubby walking the red carpet while both sporting a pair of Jimmy Choos).

2- Mid-long term: Educating children that men or women are not defined by the types of clothing they wear (my daddy wears higher and pointier shoes than mommy does and so does hers). Also, society will hopefully/eventually accept the fact that just as there are women who fashion wise are girly girls and others tom boys, the same thing exits in straight men.

Until these things happen, all we can do is to be comfortable with ourselves and wear our heels in a natural way that they would add to our general fashion look and not stand out as being completely out of place as to promote ridicule. If I'd see a guy wearing heels with an uncoordinated look, I'd probably be dismissive as well, just as I am when I see a woman who can't dress for s#@t, which unfortunately, is the case many times. Just go to the mall, sit on a bench and watch women for a few minutes. Soon enough you'd be thinking to yourself "the horror…….the terror…..:santa_hat: "

yes, Max, thats EXACTLY right! a lot of it IS nothing but brainwashing, pure & simple- men, being the "practical" genders that they are "supposed" to be apperently are NOT "supposed" to CARE about style of fashion as if by being "MEN" they show that they look @ THEIR clothing AS "practical" and NOTHING more, but this mentality of the MALE being NOT "flamboyant" in their "purpous" as how they SHOULD attract the female (or if GAY, male) its like the whole concept of fashion/style for MEN has been somehow TURNED AROUND so that the FEMALE should "always" be more "flamboyant" "showy" "attractive" & so on. NOT like most OTHER creatures in the ANIMAL "kingdom"

• 2 weeks later...

[i'm so sorry, using this forum... many thanks to all of these hundreds of people who have read my stupid thoughts. may be...I can't change the world...not the whole and also only one member of it... i'm sorry, when nobody can't understand my stupid comments... I think, i'm an allien...with all my seltsamen verhaltensweisen..my head is not clean,...but what is the exact clean terrain of beeing? what's the correct beeing ? To wear, what I want...that is one thing, what I can do...in some special way I know....the other people the round will laugh and will pack me in a bottle described "a lonley fool". but... they are not wrong...I'm lonely in panthyhose, with booted heels... o yeah... a man in the dust is also a lonley cowboy....lol -) have a nic day, wek...and what you ever want...DO IT! shortskip

be yourself, i always am....

i can sleep well that way....

i dress how i want , people look like it's the first time theyve seen a man with two heads, but next time they say, ok its him again and ignore everything and look for something else new and different....

Exactly. Well said thedesigner.

real men wear heels

[i'm so sorry, using this forum...

many thanks to all of these hundreds of people who have read my stupid thoughts. may be...I can't change the world...not the whole and also only one member of it... i'm sorry, when nobody can't understand my stupid comments... I think, i'm an allien...with all my seltsamen verhaltensweisen..my head is not clean,...but what is the exact clean terrain of beeing? what's the correct beeing ?

To wear, what I want...that is one thing, what I can do...in some special way I know....the other people the round will laugh and will pack me in a bottle described "a lonley fool". but... they are not wrong...I'm lonely in panthyhose, with booted heels... o yeah... a man in the dust is also a lonley cowboy....lol -) have a nic day, wek...and what you ever want...DO IT!

shortskip

I see no reason for you to be sorry. It sounds like you are struggling the same issues the rest of us are. We are all weighing issues such as the desire to be different, the sting of not being accepted for what we are, possible consequences of not being accepted (some real and some imaginary), what this means about our identity, how it affects personal relationships, on and on. . .

We all come up with our own answers, each from our own perspective. I see nothing "stupid" about anything you have posted.

Have a happy time!

Yes, no need to be sorry. It was a good expression of your view. If you take some extreme gender blurrers like the Thai ladyboys for example, these guys look just like women, in fact look "better" than most women. When faced with that kind of scenario, the normal order of soceity as in boy meets girl is short circuited. That's why I feel there's an inbuilt resistance to gender blurring. That and the tribal determination of many men to remain at the top of the pile. Not that I fear any consequences personally, but it's as well to understand the forces you are up against in changing acceptence of certain cultural behaviour. I was watching television at a friend's place recently with some young children, and an advert for some make up kit came on. I jokingly suggested that one young guy should have got that for his birthday. He immediately retorted in all seriousness "ewww no, that's for girls!" He was only just 4 years old so behaviour is programmed/brainwashed at a very early age. Another example I can remember from a few years back was where a young lad (maybe 5 ?) saw the 4 inch cowboy boots I was wearing in the street and said to his gran who was with him. "Granny, I want shoes like that." She immediately went into repetition mode to him. It wasn't loud, but I overheard it. "Oh those aren't for boys really, not for boys, those shoes aren't really for boys are they, John?"

sounds like granny wasnt too sure about the answer was she? maybe the worm is turning...i wonder if i will live to see it unfold? but then, who would have dreamed of the changes in the 60s and 70s in year,say,1957? most would have said "no way,jose". so dont give up hope,keep on wearing your heels,and damn the torpedoes!!!

The worm will only turn so far. It is better to be realistic in that, than hold out false hopes. If anything I think acceptance has turned back slightly since the year 2000. The turn of any century has always been the time of broadened horizons, and I think the millennium was even more so in that respect.

• 2 months later...

I will remain optomistic. I think we all agree that the trends are turning, but very slowly. With so many different people, views, opinions, stereotypes, and free spirits, there is a wide range of public opinion on human behavior and how it relates to fashion. I think I've mentioned before there was a time I would have been scared to wear high heels in public. Now, I'm mildly cautious. Yes, slowly but surely.;)