Do you drive when wearing heels

Guest Loveshiheels

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had any problems with it but I limit myself to 6" without platform. I have tried to drive with platforms too but you loose a lot of the feelings from the pedals so I don't like it. I have a pair of men shoes with rather pointy toes and they cause me bigger problems than high heels while the toe area goes up above the pedals themselves and stuck in wires or whatever Peugeot have put up there. Be aware that in some countries it is not legal to drive with heels higher than a certain height, ie 3".

I almost never wear men's shoes when driving. I wear 4" heels and up with no problems. (and I drive a standard, not an automatic) My wife does the same and has for years. It just takes a little practice like anything else. I don't consider it any less safe. People on phones, eating or putting on makeup while driving are far worse. CJ

The only thing I have found unsafe about driving in heels is the pesky scuff marks that you get on the outside of the right heel from resting your foot on the accelerator. Its more dangerous for the shoes, in my opinion.

Style is built from the ground up!

I'm with HAPPYFEAT on this one. I find the scuff marks on the shoes more frustrating than the driving part. Yes it takes practice like anything else, wether you are driving a standard or automatic. Just depends on which vehicle we take for me. My truck is standard and wife's car is auto. I feel that driving while on cell phone or reading or whatever people do while driving is much more dangerous than just driving while wearing heels is. Wolf

Driving with heels on is not really a problem; it just takes getting used to. My cars are only standard shift so to push the clutch down, sometimes you have to push sideways with the higher heel. Other than that, it's okay.

It's all about the heel!

The only thing I have found unsafe about driving in heels is the pesky scuff marks that you get on the outside of the right heel from resting your foot on the accelerator. Its more dangerous for the shoes, in my opinion.

I have seen clear plastic heat-shrink sleeves intended to protect heels from this very problem. You slip them over the heel and shrink them down with a heat gun. Clear heat-shrink tubing works too, although it can discolor a little.

Have a happy time!

I have seen clear plastic heat-shrink sleeves intended to protect heels from this very problem. You slip them over the heel and shrink them down with a heat gun. Clear heat-shrink tubing works too, although it can discolor a little.

I will look into that. I take it the shrink sleeves are permanent?

Style is built from the ground up!

Yes i do and what is so funny about it is that a lot of times g/f's of mine when they drive will take their heels off and when I ask them why they complain about being able to drive in them... Note also 99.9% of them have automatics lol I drive a stick and on average have 4" heel boots or wedge boots on and I have no problems... it just takes practice :santa_hat:

I will look into that. I take it the shrink sleeves are permanent?

Yes, they are intended to be permanent. Although they do no damage to the heel or heel cover -- unless you overdo it with the heat gun. The sleeves can be cut away carefully if you want to take them off.

I just did a search for these on the 'net but did not find anything. The heat-shrink tubing is probably the best way to go.

Have a happy time!

I have been driving in high heels for many years already. Lately in boots with with 8 cm. heels. But last summer I have been driving in Candies with 10 cm. heels. No problem at all. I feel very secure operating the pedals in heels (I drive a stick shift car). It's a great feeling !

love to watch them on cute girls, love to wear them myself

I will never drive a car wearing high heels. Technically it will not be a problem: readjusting the seat, slightly longer arms. I drive a compact car with manual tranny, I do not want to risk losing control over my pedals. A couple of times I nearly lost control over my clutch pedal thanks to a wet and slippery rubber sole of my male shoe. With the middle part of my foot I could operate the clutch. As far as I know it is not allowed here to drive wearing slipper-type of shoes; wearing high heels I am not sure. greetings Hans.

I drive with 4-5 inch heels as much as I can. I always have a couple of pair in the car that I switch into. I have no problem with the pedals. i agree that they do get scuffed - but I just buy pairs for the car. Bernheels

Driving in heels has never been a problem. It took a few minutes to make sure I had the geometry right (could find the pedals) but after that, I do it all the time. Whenever I travel I wear thigh boots with 5” stilettos with no platform. I have never worn platforms but I think they would be more of a challenge to driving than heels. I echo the comment from Happyfeet about the damage you get to the right heel.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 2 weeks later...

I think, aside from the damage to the heel and floor mats, that driving in heels is unnecessary and dangerous. It's no bother to keep some flat pumps somewhere handy. Mine fit under my seat.

hmm never had any problems in many years of heeled driving, including thru London, never thought of it an an issue. I put a rubber mat on top ofthe carpet to collect dirt etc so the carpet doesnt get worn. Have driven in 2" plats years ago, for that i needed to move the seat back....

I've been driving in heels for 20+ years...(Am I really THAT old!?!?!) and can honsetly say I've never had any type of incident because of high heels. Never. On the contrary, I have had a few close calls because of Sperry TopSiders getting hung up on pedals or slipping off the pedals. (Topsiders...Go figure...) I personally don't feel wearing heels while driving is anything to be more cautious about. The only exception is the possibility of being pulled over and questioned about the shoes by an officer... :santa_hat: But I also feel it's a matter of experience as well. When new to driving build your skills and confidence, just like wearing heels. Once you have a very good idea how to control a car THEN experiment with other footwear. I've worn everything from 3" pumps and boots to ballet and 7" heels. I even tried a couple times with 3 1/2" platforms with 7" heels...(Those are a different story altogether!!) The platforms change the feel of the pedals too much for me so they're out for driving...I might wear them from and back to the car somewhere but change to actually drive...Same with Ballets. FYI...I can honestly say I've driven nearly 750,000 miles in my life (a lot of those in heels...) The vehicles range from compact coupes to land-barge Lincoln Town Cars, and Chevy Crew-Cab Dually's to 26,000 GVWR trucks...And of course, can't forget motorcycles!!

"Heels aren't just for women anymore!!" Happy Heeling! Shoeiee

Like Shoeiee, I've driven for years wearing high heels and have never had an incident while wearing them. In fact, I don't believe I ever bothered to think about wheather or not I was driving in heels. I just got into the car and drove off, as naturally as if I were wearing Nikes.