An Interesting Experience at Payless

SandalFan

This evening, I decided to stop by Payless Shoe Source on my way home from work, to see what new styles they've got. Shortly after I began browsing the women's section, the clerk came around and asked me if I needed help finding anything. I politely declined her offer, and then she left.

A few minutes later, I decided to see what new hiking boots they were carrying for men. I found a pair I wanted, but decided to buy them later. I then went around to the next isle, to ask the clerk if they carry over-the-calf tube socks. Having only just seen me browsing the women's section, she picked a pair of disposable nylons out of a fitting box and asked if they were what I meant. I clarified my request by telling her that I was looking for men's tube socks, all the while mentally chuckling to myself.

I seldom browse women's shoes in person - once, maybe twice a year. I already know what size I wear, and if something I order online doesn't fit, I simply return it and order another size. My encounter with the clerk was only mildly awkward, but I did find it both interesting and encouraging that she appeared to think nothing of the possibility that I might want to try on a pair of women's shoes. To her, I was nothing more than a potential sale.

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

Would have been a perfect opertunity to have a little fun trying on heels, and then you could have came back and told us what a great experience you had. Sometimes I'll program that idea in my head and it makes it a lot more fun and comforting to go out in heels. The idea that I get to go home and come here and tell everybody what a great time I had heeling.

real men wear heels

I had a similar experience yesterday. Stopped in and the girl asked if I needed help finding my size. I told her no thanks and went to the aisle where Mesn 10 are on one side and Womens 10/11 are on the other. The clerk came over to "check the displays" at the end of the aisle where I was. I looked briefly at the mens shoes and then turned my attention to the womens shoes, especially the ones on sale. I didn't see anything I wanted to buy and as I was leaving she said to me "Oh, you didn't find anything you liked?" with an inflection in her voice and a direct gaze that said "no problem here". I just smiled and said "No, thanks anyway" and left. That was an opportunity to start a conversation that I may have to pursue in the future.

I'm noticing more and more that if I go into a shoe shop and ask to see something the assistant brings me the shoes and prepares them for me to try on without even asking.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I'm noticing more and more that if I go into a shoe shop and ask to see something the assistant brings me the shoes and prepares them for me to try on without even asking.

I get the same thing. I have had several sales people describe shoes to me, clearly indicating that they would look god on me, or mention what I could wear with it.

Although I have tried on shoes in a shoe store, here lately, I don't get the chance because my wife buys most of mine for me. In fact, I usually take more shoes back because I don't like the style than I keep.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Yes, but it doesn't mean my shoe closet is empty. On the contrary, I've way to many pairs and she keeps me busy returning the ones I don't like. :smile:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I recently went to a Payless shoe store and tried on a few pairs of heels. The clerk came around the corner just as I ws standing up and looking at the heel in the mirror. She told me that there was a sale buy one pair get the second pair half off. Then she proceeded to help me find a second pair to buy. I ended up leaving the 4 inch black pumps on and paid for my purchase and left he store. It was a great experience.

Guest Loveshiheels

Another guy dressed by his wife!

tut tut!

LOL

Whats wrong with that. I wish my ex would buy me heels. Then I would not of had to think of what I wanted for christmas each year.

I have noticed clerks becoming more helpful to male customers recently myself. When I started shopping for heels about 20 years ago, I would frequent Payless and other similar stores that have long since gone out of business, and though nobody would ever say anything, there was always the "long awkward silence." This was even when i was buying for a girlfriend. I would always think that they would have to be aware that I was not a size 6 or 7 in those situations. However, my best experience recently was in a discount department store. I was checking out with a pair of brown mules. When the clerk opened the box to make sure they were actually a pair, a couple of her friends walked by and started fawning over the shoes! They asked me where I found them and if they had them in their size. he clerk joined in and we had a great discussion about the styles, etc. After I checked out I went to the shoe department and helped them find the shoes and a few other pair. So, in my opinion in many of these stores, they shouldn't only view as as another sale, but as potentially hundreds of sales in the future.

Style is built from the ground up!

I have had several of the same expirences Happyfeat. The payless I live closest to always has a great selection. I know that there are about 3 other guys that live close to it since I have met them. The store manager is a wonderful woman that has agreed to order more large size shoes for us. The other ladies that work there have a ball when any of the 4 of us are in there since we actually ham it up when trying on shoes. The other place I go is a lingerie store that is about 50 miles away since I hate ordering shoes online. The woman there again is a jewel.....she has asked me on multiple occassions to stay and help out at the store. In exchange she orders shoes for me and if she has a pair in my size in stock I walk out in them. Some of the women I meet in both places can be downright rude. I have had one actually tell me that high heels are for women only....while standing in a pair of beat to hell flip-flops. The Lingerie store owner asked her why she wasn't wearing heels then.......I died laughing and the woman left the store in a huff. Most reactions are very positive and I am getting more use to wearing heels out in public. Though getting asked by 10 women where I got my shoes from is a bit startling too....haha. Last but not least for the Payless ladies.....the other 3 gentlemen and I got together and bought them all $500 gift certificates for Christmas to show our appriciation. Can't wait to walk in after the holidays and see what they have to say then.

• 3 months later...

I found two pairs of open toe ankle straps with about 5" high heels at my Payless. I tried them on in front of the female clerk. I had never seen her at the store before because she asked me if I was going to buy those shoes. I told her I would take both pairs and I would wear the ones I tried on out of the store. She was very nervous as she completed the sale. I smiled a big smile and said, "thank you, and have a nice day. I know I will." She said something and gave me a nervous smile as I walked away. I'll go back there another day and peruse the women's shoes while she's on duty and see if she remembers me and what her reaction is.

You should wear the shoes you bought... not only will it jog her memory, but if she's not there the clerk on duty will at least see you're serious about shopping for heels, assuming they've not seen you before. On more than one occasion for me, the sales clerk of a particular store would not even realize that I was wearing their own product. I usually get a kick (pun intended) out of showing them the bottom of a shoe or the insole, thus revealing their own brand.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

You should wear the shoes you bought... not only will it jog her memory, but if she's not there the clerk on duty will at least see you're serious about shopping for heels, assuming they've not seen you before.

On more than one occasion for me, the sales clerk of a particular store would not even realize that I was wearing their own product. I usually get a kick (pun intended) out of showing them the bottom of a shoe or the insole, thus revealing their own brand.

I am going back to that Payless Friday when I'm off work. I will wear one of those pairs into the store. If the same clerk isn't there, I'll tell the clerk on duty that I bought these shoes here, I love them so much, and I wanted to see what new high heels they have gotten in. I'll let everyone know what happens.:roll:

• 3 years later...

Not Heels, But a nice experience:

My wife recently bought us both a gym membership. Having not been to a gym in years I need a new pair of sneakers (trainers for you blokes across the pond).

I wanted to get a light weight pair of sneakers for riding the stationary bike and for general working out. I shopped the usual department stores and athletic shops first. Either did not find what I wanted or the price was way more than I was looking to spend.

Last stop on the way out of the mall, I tried Payless. Again all the men's sneakers were heavy and bulky. So I moved down the aisle a bit to the womens section. I found these in a size 12:

post-1115-133522980142_thumb.jpg

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat10266&skuId=094868050&productId=70001&lotId=094868&category=&catdisplayName=Womens

I tried them on and I loved them, pretty much decided to buy them. Just then a sales woman approached and asked if I needed help. I said, well being you asked, do you have these in a 12 wide? She looked at the box and said these were ladies size 12. She could not find a 12 wide, but offered me an 11 wide to try on. Of course being in sales, when I tried them on she said they looked really nice and comfortable on me.

She then left me with both pair to make up my mind. I decided the 12's were better, but I did like the wide.

When I got to the checkout counter, she asked how they felt. I said I did liked that they were not as heavy and bulky as the men's style.

Then I asked if she could check on her computer for the availability of a 12 wide. She found a pair in another Payless I often shop. She then called to verify they had them and had them hold the pair for me. Bonus time: she handed me a "reservation" slip, told me to take that with me, and it included a $4.00 off coupon. I thanked her, told her I really did appreciate her help.

When I walked into the second store, I told the sales girl I was there for a "hold". She said, "Oh, are you Gary?", and handed me the box from behind the counter.

I tried them on, loved the fit. Paid, thanked her and walked out very pleased.

Now I begin my quest to loose 50 pounds by year end. Wish me luck.

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

• 1 month later...

Latly I have been buying all of my high heels at Payless. This week I went there after supper wearing my Brash lumna 5" wedge heels. The sales assoc came over and made a remark about my heels and asked if i liked them and if they were comfortable that she wanted to get herself a pair. We looked over the different styles and i ended up getting a pair of 3" sandels. I did mention that I always send a reply about the great service that I recive. She said thank you and that they all know because my e-mails are posted at the three stores and they all figured that it was "Jerry". On one of my shoping trips I left a card with them telling that I work for a HVAC company and if they ever need anything call me. And they figured that i was the one that sent the e-mails. We talked about some other men that do buy shoes but that they dont try them on as they are for "there wife". She said its just silly we dont care. Its a lot easier to just be your self and a hole lot more Fun .

I have only had one bad experience at Payless and that was years and years ago. I go in now and try on a few pairs then I quite normally will walk out wearing a pair. Never get anything but great service and always a ton of help.

I go in now and try on a few pairs then I quite normally will walk out wearing a pair. Never get anything but great service and always a ton of help.

The last time I bought a pair at Payless, the young female clerk asked me if I wanted to wear them out of the store. I said yes and I did. She is always nice to me whenever I come in whether I buy something or not.