Help wanted with thesis 'Men in heels as mainstream fashion': (Female & Male input)

blestat

1.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel? a) Yes. :smile: No YES 2.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel in public? a) Yes. :wave: No YES 3.) Men, how often do you wear elevated heeled shoes in public? Please specify X number of times per week, month or year or never. Usually 2 to 3 times a week all day 4.) Men, if you wear elevated heeled shoes in public do you also wear other items of clothing that is 'socially determined to be ladies wear'? a) Yes always. :silly: Yes sometimes. c) Never only shoes. d) Not applicable. Yes sometimes 5.) Men, do your friends, family, work colleagues know of your wearing of elevated heeled footwear? a) Yes, I make no hiding of it. :o Some yes, but I'm careful who I share it with. c) No, this is not something I share with people outside such similar forums as HHPlace. d) Not applicable Some yes, but I'm careful who I share it with 6.) Men, if you do not share the knowledge that you wear elevated heeled footwear with friends, family, work colleagues, please can you provide the main reason why? Not acceptable in and around work 7.) Men, have you ever been to a 'Heelmeet' or similar arranged meeting? a) Yes. :) No. c) I would do if I could travel to such an event. I would do if I could travel to such an event 8.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how many other men were present also wearing elevated heeled footwear? (please refer to the last Heelmeet you were present at). n/a 9.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' in elevated heeled footwear what has been the general public response to your attire with respect to your footwear? a) Mainly positive. :) Mainly Negative. c) Indifferent/no reaction. n/a 10.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how has the number of men attending wearing elevated heeled footwear changed? a) Generally increased. :) Generally decreased. c) Increased more recently over the last 2 years. d) other, please specify. n/a 11.) Men, do you feel vunerable in your public surroundings wearing footwear with elevated heels? a) Yes. ;) No. c) Not applicable. At times yes but mostly no 12.) Men, have you ever received any public negativity when or for wearing footwear with elevated heels? a) Yes. B) No No 13.) Men, do you feel that an elevated heeled shoe could ever achieve unisex status as a mainstream fashion item? a) Yes. B) No. Yes 14.) Men, if the elevated heeled shoe ever became a unisex fashion item would it still hold the same appeal to you as the wearer? a) Yes. B) No. c) The same. Yes 15.) Sorry forgot, please could I you to specify your age and country of residence? 56, USA

1.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel? a) Yes. :smile: No

a)Yes

2.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel in public? a) Yes. :wave: No

a)Yes, First time this week!!!

3.) Men, how often do you wear elevated heeled shoes in public? Please specify X number of times per week, month or year or never.

So, far for this week, daily.

4.) Men, if you wear elevated heeled shoes in public do you also wear other items of clothing that is 'socially determined to be ladies wear'? a) Yes always. :silly: Yes sometimes. c) Never only shoes. d) Not applicable.

Yes sometimes.

5.) Men, do your friends, family, work colleagues know of your wearing of elevated heeled footwear? a) Yes, I make no hiding of it. :o Some yes, but I'm careful who I share it with. c) No, this is not something I share with people outside such similar forums as HHPlace. d) Not applicable

B

6.) Men, if you do not share the knowledge that you wear elevated heeled footwear with friends, family, work colleagues, please can you provide the main reason why?

Some member of family will not understand?

7.) Men, have you ever been to a 'Heelmeet' or similar arranged meeting? a) Yes. :) No. c) I would do if I could travel to such an event.

b)No

8.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how many other men were present also wearing elevated heeled footwear? (please refer to the last Heelmeet you were present at).

N/A

9.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' in elevated heeled footwear what has been the general public response to your attire with respect to your footwear? a) Mainly positive. :) Mainly Negative. c) Indifferent/no reaction.

N/A

10.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how has the number of men attending wearing elevated heeled footwear changed? a) Generally increased. :) Generally decreased. c) Increased more recently over the last 2 years. d) other, please specify.

N/A

11.) Men, do you feel vunerable in your public surroundings wearing footwear with elevated heels? a) Yes. ;) No. c) Not applicable.

Not yet, I'm a big guy with a bald head. Been told many of times from my wife that I look intimidating. Therefore, No!

12.) Men, have you ever received any public negativity when or for wearing footwear with elevated heels? a) Yes. B) No

No

13.) Men, do you feel that an elevated heeled shoe could ever achieve unisex status as a mainstream fashion item? a) Yes. B) No.

a)yes

14.) Men, if the elevated heeled shoe ever became a unisex fashion item would it still hold the same appeal to you as the wearer? a) Yes. B) No. c) The same.

a)yes

15.) Sorry forgot, please could I you to specify your age and country of residence?

33, USA

This looks to be very fascinating. Okay, here's my responses:

1.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel? Yes

2.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel in public? Yes

3.) Men, how often do you wear elevated heeled shoes in public? Please specify X number of times per week, month or year or never. two or three times per month

4.) Men, if you wear elevated heeled shoes in public do you also wear other items of clothing that is 'socially determined to be ladies wear'? Yes always. Does pantyhose count?

5.) Men, do your friends, family, work colleagues know of your wearing of elevated heeled footwear? Some yes, but I'm careful who I share it with

6.) Men, if you do not share the knowledge that you wear elevated heeled footwear with friends, family, work colleagues, please can you provide the main reason why? N/A

7.) Men, have you ever been to a 'Heelmeet' or similar arranged meeting? No

8.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how many other men were present also wearing elevated heeled footwear? (please refer to the last Heelmeet you were present at) N/A

9.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' in elevated heeled footwear what has been the general public response to your attire with respect to your footwear? N/A

10.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how has the number of men attending wearing elevated heeled footwear changed? N/A

11.) Men, do you feel vunerable in your public surroundings wearing footwear with elevated heels? No

12.) Men, have you ever received any public negativity when or for wearing footwear with elevated heels? No

13.) Men, do you feel that an elevated heeled shoe could ever achieve unisex status as a mainstream fashion item? No

14.) Men, if the elevated heeled shoe ever became a unisex fashion item would it still hold the same appeal to you as the wearer? The same

15.) Sorry forgot, please could I you to specify your age and country of residence? 49, United States

I hope this will be of use to you.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I don't know if I'm late, but here it goes. 1.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel? a) Yes. :smile: No Yes. 2.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel in public? a) Yes. :wave: No Yes 3.) Men, how often do you wear elevated heeled shoes in public? Please specify X number of times per week, month or year or never. In the last two months, once a month. 4.) Men, if you wear elevated heeled shoes in public do you also wear other items of clothing that is 'socially determined to be ladies wear'? a) Yes always. :silly: Yes sometimes. c) Never only shoes. d) Not applicable. Never, only shoes. 5.) Men, do your friends, family, work colleagues know of your wearing of elevated heeled footwear? a) Yes, I make no hiding of it. :o Some yes, but I'm careful who I share it with. c) No, this is not something I share with people outside such similar forums as HHPlace. d) Not applicable Some yes, but I'm careful who I share it. 6.) Men, if you do not share the knowledge that you wear elevated heeled footwear with friends, family, work colleagues, please can you provide the main reason why? I only share it with my wife and one girl friend. When in public, I'm in among people that don't know me. 7.) Men, have you ever been to a 'Heelmeet' or similar arranged meeting? a) Yes. :) No. c) I would do if I could travel to such an event. I would do if I could travel to such an event. 8.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how many other men were present also wearing elevated heeled footwear? (please refer to the last Heelmeet you were present at). I never went to one. 9.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' in elevated heeled footwear what has been the general public response to your attire with respect to your footwear? a) Mainly positive. :) Mainly Negative. c) Indifferent/no reaction. Same as question 8. 10.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how has the number of men attending wearing elevated heeled footwear changed? a) Generally increased. :) Generally decreased. c) Increased more recently over the last 2 years. d) other, please specify. Same as question 8. 11.) Men, do you feel vunerable in your public surroundings wearing footwear with elevated heels? a) Yes. ;) No. c) Not applicable. Yes. 12.) Men, have you ever received any public negativity when or for wearing footwear with elevated heels? a) Yes. B) No Yes. 13.) Men, do you feel that an elevated heeled shoe could ever achieve unisex status as a mainstream fashion item? a) Yes. B) No. Yes. 14.) Men, if the elevated heeled shoe ever became a unisex fashion item would it still hold the same appeal to you as the wearer? a) Yes. B) No. c) The same. Yes. 15.) Sorry forgot, please could I you to specify your age and country of residence? 31, Brazil.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

Before I respond, blestat, can I point out that although your definition of an ‘elevated heel’ is OK for your survey purposes, it does include the intentionally male shoe/boot with a modest Cuban or cowboy heel (of say 2” or so) which most people would not regard as indicating a wish to dress in a feminine manner, in public or otherwise. That wide definition is likely to affect any interpretation of answers to several of the questions.

In particular, Q4 rather suggests that any elevated shoe is something 'socially determined to be ladies wear' because you refer there to ‘other items’ of that kind. I feel that Q4 would have better read: Men, do you wear in public any item of clothing apart from shoes that is 'socially determined to be ladies wear'? a) Yes always. :smile: Yes sometimes. c) No. (And you might then have usefully added a further question to establish whether such ladies wear is always/sometimes/never worn in conjunction with elevated shoes.)

I hope you find that comment useful – or at least that you realise the possible limitations of the information given in answer to your existing questions.

Now to respond:

1. Yes (both male and female styles)

2. Yes (male styles only to date)

3. No real pattern but perhaps 10 -12 times a year

4. ©

5. (a) when wearing male styles; © as far as I know when wearing female styles in private

6. Unacceptability; wife has prejudices

7. (:wave: to date

8. N/a

9. N/a

10. N/a

11. (:silly:

12. (:o

13. (a) (and has already done so with essentially male styles)

14. (a)

15. 58; England

Hi Puffer, Yes your comments are useful, I see that I have fallen by my own preconceptions. Both of your points are very valid. Thank you very much for answering the questionaire. Dear All, I have had one response from the ladies questionaire (thank you to that person). Is it possible that I could encourage other female visitors to answer also? regards, b.

1.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel? a) Yes

2.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel in public? a) Yes

3.) Men, how often do you wear elevated heeled shoes in public? At least once a month.

4.) Men, if you wear elevated heeled shoes in public do you also wear other items of clothing that is 'socially determined to be ladies wear'? :santa_hat: Yes sometimes.

5.) Men, do your friends, family, work colleagues know of your wearing of elevated heeled footwear? :w00t2: Some yes, but I'm careful who I share it with.

6.) Men, if you do not share the knowledge that you wear elevated heeled footwear with friends, family, work colleagues, please can you provide the main reason why?

7.) Men, have you ever been to a 'Heelmeet' or similar arranged meeting? :nervous: No.

8.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how many other men were present also wearing elevated heeled footwear? (please refer to the last Heelmeet you were present at).

9.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' in elevated heeled footwear what has been the general public response to your attire with respect to your footwear? a) Mainly positive. :cheeky: Mainly Negative. c) Indifferent/no reaction.

10.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how has the number of men attending wearing elevated heeled footwear changed? a) Generally increased. :wavey: Generally decreased. c) Increased more recently over the last 2 years. d) other, please specify.

11.) Men, do you feel vunerable in your public surroundings wearing footwear with elevated heels? :smile: No

12.) Men, have you ever received any public negativity when or for wearing footwear with elevated heels? :smile: No

13.) Men, do you feel that an elevated heeled shoe could ever achieve unisex status as a mainstream fashion item? a) Yes

14.) Men, if the elevated heeled shoe ever became a unisex fashion item would it still hold the same appeal to you as the wearer? a) Yes

15.) Sorry forgot, please could I you to specify your age and country of residence? 55, USA

Please post the results!

It's all about the heel!

1.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel? a) Yes. :santa_hat: No Yes 2.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel in public? a) Yes. :w00t2: No Yes 3.) Men, how often do you wear elevated heeled shoes in public? Please specify X number of times per week, month or year or never. daily 4.) Men, if you wear elevated heeled shoes in public do you also wear other items of clothing that is 'socially determined to be ladies wear'? a) Yes always. :nervous: Yes sometimes. c) Never only shoes. d) Not applicable. No 5.) Men, do your friends, family, work colleagues know of your wearing of elevated heeled footwear? a) Yes, I make no hiding of it. :cheeky: Some yes, but I'm careful who I share it with. c) No, this is not something I share with people outside such similar forums as HHPlace. d) Not applicable YEs, no hiding 6.) Men, if you do not share the knowledge that you wear elevated heeled footwear with friends, family, work colleagues, please can you provide the main reason why? No reason to hide 7.) Men, have you ever been to a 'Heelmeet' or similar arranged meeting? a) Yes. :wavey: No. c) I would do if I could travel to such an event. No 8.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how many other men were present also wearing elevated heeled footwear? (please refer to the last Heelmeet you were present at). n.a. 9.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' in elevated heeled footwear what has been the general public response to your attire with respect to your footwear? a) Mainly positive. :smile: Mainly Negative. c) Indifferent/no reaction. n.a. 10.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how has the number of men attending wearing elevated heeled footwear changed? a) Generally increased. :smile: Generally decreased. c) Increased more recently over the last 2 years. d) other, please specify. n.a. 11.) Men, do you feel vunerable in your public surroundings wearing footwear with elevated heels? a) Yes. :) No. c) Not applicable. No 12.) Men, have you ever received any public negativity when or for wearing footwear with elevated heels? a) Yes. :) No No 13.) Men, do you feel that an elevated heeled shoe could ever achieve unisex status as a mainstream fashion item? a) Yes. :) No. Yes 14.) Men, if the elevated heeled shoe ever became a unisex fashion item would it still hold the same appeal to you as the wearer? a) Yes. B) No. c) The same. Yes 15.) Sorry forgot, please could I you to specify your age and country of residence? 39, Germany

good luck with yr thesis, a wkd idea.. lets us know the highlights ! My answers are below, but consider this: look in river island, zara, topshop and see there's a lot of crossover in clothing. Now look in uk shoeshops... gents shoes are so innately boring, black, brown, grey, white maybe... there's a start for you, let alone heel types !! I've worn womens shoes for a lnog time out of style preference having size 6 1/2 feet anyway. Heels started with platforms for men and stayedas heels ever since, as i also like the extra height - ah that's a question u missed off - whats ure height without heels (mine's 5' 8") and i was the shortest bar one in my class. Answers; 1/ yes 2/ yes 3/ daily 4/ yes earrings bracelets necklace foundation daily, more make up sometimes 5/ yes they know 6/ n/a 7/ no not yet but intend to 8 - 10/ n'a 11/ not where i normally go 12/ only young kids tittering 13/ yes, do it steadily with block heels slowly getting slimmer and higher. You could consider heeled trainers, ive got some womens ones. Consider this: five years ago the idea of men wearing cleanser and moisturiser was taboo... 14/ yes, it would make no difference, i wear heels as i like them not simply to be different, viz i wouldnt wear flats if men mainly wore heels 15/ real age 56, age i act and dress 35, england I wore 6" ladies boots with 2" platforms when platforms were the fashion in the 70s and nobody bothered, it seemed the higher you were, the more respect you got - and this openly on the tube for example. in the 60s winklepickers were fashionable ie pointy style and they were similarly admired the more outrageous they were.. my thesis is that men have become more introverted, preferring jewellery and a dangerous dog as a fashion statement.... yours in heels (or in yours in a couple of years time??)

my thesis is that men have become more introverted, preferring jewellery and a dangerous dog as a fashion statement....

thedesigner I agree with your thesis.

Q1). Ladies, in order please can you identify which kind of footwear you believe to be most attractive on the male sex?

a). Work or walking boot (Timberland, Catapillar etc)

:w00t2:. Uniform boot (Armed forces, incorporating DocMartens)

c). Standard traditional mens shoe (Brogue, Oxford, Monk (ok not a tie shoe))

d). Mocassin/Loafer

e). Cowboy boot or Biker boot

f). Sports trainer

g). Sandal/Thong/Flip-flop (no heel)

h). Italian styled mens shoe (more pointed toe than traditional mens)

i). Elevated heel shoe (be it block, cuban, stiletto, tie up, sandal, pump)

j). other please specify

i. Specifically Louboutins, Manolos, Dior, Choo, Prada, Kors, Gigi Favela.

Q2). Ladies, if you were to see a male wearing elevated heeled footwear what would your instinct reaction be? a) Positive. :nervous: Negative. c) Indifferent. (please elaborate on answer)My reaction as a gender-outlaw myself would be overwhelmingly positive.

Q3). Ladies, if you were to meet a male stranger wearing elevated heeled footwear, would you internally question his sexual orientation in a way that you may not question a man wearing other kinds of footwear? a) Yes. :cheeky: No. c). Not applicable No, it would not indicate any affectational orientation to me, if that is what you are referring to. I might question his gender orientation, depending on how he has accessorized... but not his affectational orientation.

Q4). Ladies, would you consider the same man when dressed in elevated heeled footwear to be? a) more attractive when wearing such footwear. or :wavey: less attractive. or c) Indifferent. Much more attractive. I would also find his lack of self-consciousness, his self-assuredness, and lack of conformity attractive. (I am not sexually attracted to males, so can't answer to that).

Q4). Ladies, would you consider a male wearing elevated footwear with no other female associated garments to be? a) more in touch with his feminine side than the 'average' male. :smile: less in touch or c) would not consider either. I would consider him more in touch with his aesthetic sensitivity regarding footwear. I would assume he is more in touch with women in terms of the potential aches and pains of working some heels. I would assume he is more in touch than most men with trends in footwear. So, yes, I guess I would see him as more of an ally to feminism, for example, than the average dullard.

Q5). Ladies, if elevated heeled footwear for men became mainstream fashion would you consider this a threat to your feminimity? a) Yes. :smile: No. c) Indifferent. I don't have much if any femininity- much less feminimity. (Lol.) I would not feel threatened in any way. I don't think femininity in women is based on masculinity. I doubt any woman, no matter how feminine, would feel her femininity depleted by anything.

Q6). Ladies, if you answered Q5 as (a), would you do anything about it? a) Yes. :) No. Please specificy (maybe to dress more effeminate, to ridicule the men in heels or another).

Q7). Ladies, if elevated heeled footwear was to be mainstream fashion, would there be any style of female heeled footwear that you would consider unacceptable for a male to wear? If so please could you specify what and why. No, when styled heeled footwear becomes mainstream, all fashion boundaries will be challenged and broken. After that, styles that are acceptable for men will be based on what is "in" that season, etc. Same as for women's fashion.

I would really appreciate your true/honest responses, please feel free to also provide real life experiences when answering the questionaire

Many thanks, and I apologise for any grammer/spelling mistakes.

No prob. Spell-check works wonders, btw. I would die without it.:santa_hat:

Kind regards, b.

1.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel? a) Yes. :santa_hat: No YES 2.) Men, have you ever worn footwear with an elevated heel in public? a) Yes. :w00t2: No YES 3.) Men, how often do you wear elevated heeled shoes in public? Please specify X number of times per week, month or year or never. 2x per month on average 4.) Men, if you wear elevated heeled shoes in public do you also wear other items of clothing that is 'socially determined to be ladies wear'? a) Yes always. :nervous: Yes sometimes. c) Never only shoes. d) Not applicable. C. Only shoes 5.) Men, do your friends, family, work colleagues know of your wearing of elevated heeled footwear? a) Yes, I make no hiding of it. :cheeky: Some yes, but I'm careful who I share it with. c) No, this is not something I share with people outside such similar forums as HHPlace. d) Not applicable B. I avoid certain circles. 6.) Men, if you do not share the knowledge that you wear elevated heeled footwear with friends, family, work colleagues, please can you provide the main reason why? 1) business interests and 2) request from wife 7.) Men, have you ever been to a 'Heelmeet' or similar arranged meeting? a) Yes. :wavey: No. c) I would do if I could travel to such an event. YES 8.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how many other men were present also wearing elevated heeled footwear? (please refer to the last Heelmeet you were present at). YES 9.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' in elevated heeled footwear what has been the general public response to your attire with respect to your footwear? a) Mainly positive. :smile: Mainly Negative. c) Indifferent/no reaction. C. 10.) Men, if you have attended a 'Heelmeet' how has the number of men attending wearing elevated heeled footwear changed? a) Generally increased. :smile: Generally decreased. c) Increased more recently over the last 2 years. d) other, please specify. Unaffeced 11.) Men, do you feel vunerable in your public surroundings wearing footwear with elevated heels? a) Yes. :) No. c) Not applicable. I need to be more aware. It is not vulnerability but it is related. 12.) Men, have you ever received any public negativity when or for wearing footwear with elevated heels? a) Yes. :) No a) once 13.) Men, do you feel that an elevated heeled shoe could ever achieve unisex status as a mainstream fashion item? a) Yes. :) No. a) why not 14.) Men, if the elevated heeled shoe ever became a unisex fashion item would it still hold the same appeal to you as the wearer? a) Yes. B) No. c) The same. c) for me it is totally detached from the gender issue 15.) Sorry forgot, please could I you to specify your age and country of residence? 33, Finland

What's all the fuss about?