Heel Tip Replacement Disaster -- Heelp!

I got some metal heel tips from stiletto-heel-tips.co.uk and was putting them on my 5 1/2" Pleaser Domina 2000 boots. I did the left one with no problems, but then I was trying to wiggle the right old tip free, it's metal shaft broke off inside the heel. Is there a way to remove it? Drilling it out seems unlikely, heating the heel to pull out the tube with shaft sounds like another disaster in the making. I probed the heel with a super magnet and it seems the internal metal tube is a few inches long. Is it hollow? Maybe I can just push the old tip up further. (I just checked the OK heel and the tube is hollow for a distance that should just about accomodate the new tip. Should I try that; if it fails, I'll have moved from a nearly impossible extraction to impossible? Any tips:smile: will be appreciated.

I drilled mine out when it happened to me and it worked out fine. It was also Pleasers but 5" Oxfords so I guess the construction is similar. Just try to make "center mark" with a proper tool to avoid the drill from flexing all over and eventually breaking the drill. Or take them to the cobbler. Heel tips I replace myself but soles and "toe points" I leave to the professionals. I was kinda nervous the first time what the guy should think when he saw the sz 14 stiletto boots but never a comment from him. Now we always have a long chat when I am in there but he haven't yet asked me if they are my boots or if I have a GF with very big feet. *S* Good luck in your work.

For as long as the pin is a little way up the tube, you could try using a self-tapping screw to grip the tube. Carefully pull out the whole tube. and then remove the screw. Tap a masonary nail through the tube to remove remains of pin. Re-insert tube and fit tip as normal. If pin is broken off flush, I have in the past been able to drive it further into the tube allowing a new pin sufficient room to do its job. If in doubt, get it done at a good cobblers.

totter along into history

Thanks for all the quick help. To everyone, there is no decent cobbler within 100 miles of here (at least that I've found). There are 2 within a reasonable drive of me: #1 has a reputation for taking months sometimes, losing shoes, and poor work; #2 I went to 3 times. Visit 1 he replaced heel tips and did a great job, second visit he did heels also and after I paid said "Big feet, huh?", undaunted the third time I went in, his daughter came out and tried to diplomatically tell me her old country father wouldn't fix my shoes anymore! Loriette's suggestion on removing the tube sounds good, I may try it if this happens again. (but the metal tips will probably outlast me) So, that leads me to admirer5577's suggestion. I do have available to me the means to hold the shoes, center punch, and drill straight. But, I figured, I should be able to drill whether the pin is flush or further in. I pounded it in and ended up with just enough clear length for the new tip. Job done successfully, and they sound great! Thank you everyone, emergency ended.

. . . undaunted the third time I went in, his daughter came out and tried to diplomatically tell me her old country father wouldn't fix my shoes anymore!

. . .

He'd better not complain about his business slowing down if he's chasing customers away!

Have a happy time!

He'd better not complain about his business slowing down if he's chasing customers away!

Unfortunately, he's one of 2 shoe repair shops in a 30 mile radius, and the other shop is run by buffoons. I'm sure neither shop is exactly making it in this world of plastics, unit bottoms, and a replace rather than repair society.

I suspect most of his business comes from selling and dyeing wedding shoes since he's located next to a bridal shop that appears to not have shoes.

Does anybody know any good Boston area shoe repair shops, or a place that works by mail?

...Does anybody know any good Boston area shoe repair shops, or a place that works by mail?

No, but I think yer on the right track with the mail-out notion. :smile: Try surfing the web on-line and see what you can find. I'll bet there's somebody around that has a web site.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Unfortunately, he's one of 2 shoe repair shops in a 30 mile radius, and the other shop is run by buffoons. I'm sure neither shop is exactly making it in this world of plastics, unit bottoms, and a replace rather than repair society.

I suspect most of his business comes from selling and dyeing wedding shoes since he's located next to a bridal shop that appears to not have shoes.

Does anybody know any good Boston area shoe repair shops, or a place that works by mail?

There are two shops I know of with in my area. One in Portland Maine hours drive and One in Hampton New Hampshire 15 minute drive.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I nearly couldn't fix 2 pairs of anne's boots after trying to remove the old heel pins with wire cutters, so I went and bought a GOOD QUALITY pair of pincers and with a good grip they pulled out fine. (But I would suggest that if you buy a pair of pincers, make sure the "cutting" edge on the outside/bottom of the tool is quite flat to get in tight between the old tip and the heel itself) John