Granny boot withquick laces and zipper. What the !@#$!!!

Do you like or dislike the high heel granny boot?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like or dislike the high heel granny boot?

Ok, a lot of us likes the look ( or mabye not, CAST YOUR VOTE!!!) of the granny boot and a few of us has a pair. I my self bought a pair from Newport News with a 4" chunky heel size 11W U.S. The cool thing was I liked the fact that it had a zipper on the side. Tie them up, adjust the fit to your liking and then unzip them. Now just like any other boot with a zipper quick on and off, with the look of a laced boot.

Posted Image

But enough about the cool stuff about this boot, here is the gripe. The last three sets of the eye hole are the quick lace type. You know the kind where you just wrap around a tab instead of going through the hole. Well.... they don't work worth a dang when you unzip the boot. The lace comes undone. :grin:

So now there goes the zipper concept of quick on and off. It's insert foot zip up boot (if needed) and tie them up. But what if you don't like the fit? You untie the lace and tie them up again. What were the designers :drinking: thinking!!! :smile: You could just leave the zipper alone but do you really want to tie them up when the convince of a zipper is looking right at your face?

Solution, most quick lace hooks that I know have a eye hole as well. But it's more meant to hold the hook to the boot and the holes are smaller than the eyes on the rest of the boot. I could buy the kit to replace the hooks with regular eyes, but since I wear pants the effort for the look is not worth it. The laces I have are small enough to pass through the hole easily, so I bent up the hooks with my fingers (pliers will work for those who are unable to easily bend the hooks) pass the lace through, bent the hooks back with my fingers, tied up the boot, adjusted the fit and wha la, done!! :grin: Now, why did I not think of this months ago??? :grin:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Speaking as an engineer, I would have used the hooks how they were intended, but bent them down to trap the laces or tied round each hook with a 1 1/2 loop to stop them coming off. I voted I liked the boots. With a suitable pair of trousers you just see the heel, and it's my sort of heel.

Speaking as an engineer, I would have used the hooks how they were intended, but bent them down to trap the laces or tied round each hook with a 1 1/2 loop to stop them coming off.

This would work as well, and I like it. :grin: But since the tabs are bendable, with my luck :smile: I bet over time the laces would work it's way out and ended up with a hand full of spaghetti. :grin::grin:

I voted I liked the boots. With a suitable pair of trousers you just see the heel, and it's my sort of heel.

I like the boots to, but they need to be altered a bit. I got skinny calves and most women’s boots that come off the shelf that fit my feet have a large calves :grin: compared to mine. So there is a little slack left and I don't get the snug fit that I want. This is another reasoned why to buy leather, there are a few shoe repair shops still in my area as well one that I know of where my GF lives. So some time I will get them altered.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I just bought a pair of granny boots on e-bay and they came with 6 pair of speed hooks and a side zipper. They were a real pain to put on and take off because the laces fell out of the hooks. Then I noticed the hooks had a hole like eyelets did so I laced the boots by running the lace through the hole in the speed hooks. The trick is to start the lace through the hole then use needle nose pliers to reach under the hook to pull the lace through the hole. The granny boots now fit fine and are easy to put on and take off.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

It looks like you have a traditional hook in those boots and because the hook is so small, you really have to pay attention when you are lacing the boots.

I have two links of boots I have repaired with these two kinds of lacers. These are not fashion boots, but I have used them for fashion boots when customers have requested a different kind of lacer.

The First Picture below, (they look like "-D") a D with a metal loop wrapped around it which has a hole in it which is then riveted to the boot. Many hiking boots have this kind. You can leave the lace in the loop, but you can loosen or tighten them easily. These speedlacers come in black, brass, nickel, and antique. I have a picture of a motorcyle boot that has them on...If you look at the left picture, you can see the "D-Ring" lacer better: http://hartlandshoes.us/framebts.jpg

*this is a motorcyle boot that I installed an inch build up on for a customer for medical reasons.

The next picture shows a kind of speed lace that you see on lots of hiking boots which is basically a metal loop that can be riveted onto the boot. (imagine " >o ") The ">" has a hole in it for a rivet and the "o" is where the lace goes through ... Right now I can only get them in Black. See the picture in the link below, it shows the style I am talking about. Look at the boot on right, you can see the lacers better. They extend beyond the edge of the leather, so the lace easily goes through it. http://hartlandshoes.us/BatesBts3.jpg

*this is an army boot that I resoled.

I hope that you can understand my illustrations, however crude, the pictures are better.

• 2 weeks later...