Airport Safe?

jagman

I don't know if this topic has been covered before. Heels and airports. Strangely the most carefree places that I feel are airports. People are distracted and will ignore you but you can also have captive audiences. Being comitted to wearing what ever you choose for hours on end, the negotiation of marble floors, carpets and walkways, walking down steep umbilicals, standing in queues, sitting crossed legged in cafe bars, climbing stairs, foot twirling while waiting at passport control or baggage reclaim. People who notice and have adverse reactions, you will never see again and those who admire will boost your morale no end. I love watching women having to remove their incredible footwear to get through security and they always try to get though the first time. I want some of that. I always try to set off the alarm to be forced to go back and shed my heels and put them through Xray. To see the jaded looks on the security guards but also the intruged looks on the public behind as you walk with stockinged feet through the scanner. Then to deliberatley get shod on the otherside while leaving your heels on the conveyor to the last moment. Knee high boots are the best for this, exposing the maximum nylon and taking the longest as you roll up your jeans. Has anyone got any stories and experiences in these electric enviroment?

So what's all the fuss about?

Traveled many times in airports. Most the time with heels in the carry-on to switch into after check-in and security. More recently, as my heel wearing has become more proficient, I've worn the heels from the parking - on the shuttle - through check-in and security, all without problem and never a direct comment, though an occasional look as the heels come off before security -I usually wear the 5 inch oxfords somewhat unobtrusively, with long jeans or slacks. That said, its a lot easier to manipulate the rigors of pre and post flight sans heels. As for inflight heels - the worst is the swelling of the foot that occurs with reduced cabin altitude and several hours seated. Heels are not the most comfortable shoe for flying. Still, I alway notice many women enduring the effort - to look nice for the business or personal contact awaiting them at their destination.

Wish I could, but I havnt. I've either traveled for work, which is not heel friendly, or with my b/f, who is also not a fan of me wearing heels in public. I would think TSA would be more comfortable with a guy wearing thin heels then with wedge heel shoes/boots. Remember Richard Reid?

(formerly known as "JimC")

I have often wondered if there are problems when there are pair(s) of heels in your luggage and/or pair(s) of heels in your carry-ons. I don't get to fly much, so when I do fly I would like to know. I have thought of wearing heels going through the processes of flying these days, but some times that can be an awfully long trek in some of the airports trying to meet your connecting flight, especially if you got to hurry with all your things.

I have often wondered if there are problems when there are pair(s) of heels in your luggage and/or pair(s) of heels in your carry-ons. .....

I always have some heels in my carry on because if my check in is lost, there is no way I can replace them quickly in the nearest shop.

I passed Heathrow on my to NYC last thursday and during transfer I had to pass yet another screener but didn't think much about it. On the other side my bag was lifted out and manually checked and then they asked who it belonged to. It turned out that I put had my tax-free gin inside it and you know what they think about liquids in the carry-on.

You have to remember they are professionals and don't say anything :smile: except you try to bring illegal stuff on board. And the screener normally just looks at the screen, not knowing if it belongs to a man or a woman. In my bag they found two knee high boots with 4½" & 2½" heels and two corsets, plus a few other things that will be used for Halloween partying. Not the baggage of average Joe. :wave:

This time I didn't travel in heels mostly because it is actually rather uncomfortable to sit still for 6-7 hours when your legs are so long in heels that you don't get much thigh support.

What shall I say with my nipple rings? Every X-ray scanner is showing them clearly. Last week my doctor insisted because of my type-1-diabetes on a general health check. No chance to hide them ...

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Hi folks, I have flown in heels the length of NZ, with up to 3 transfers from small aircraft to large. etc..in one trip. Security varies at different airports and in some cases you get away with a lot but I have only encountered problems associated with the shoes on my feet, no problems with luggage. The scanners do pick them up and going through the security checks is fun - approx half the time I just get told to go on through - they don't always want me take my heels off. I always wear pumps when flying because I like to kick them off and spin them around so the heel of my foot sits on the toe area of the shoe and my toes go up the hill to the heel - kind of like using them the other way round as a foot leaner.... if you get my drift. Small aircraft (Beechcraft/ Saabs) are pretty tricky because of the steps being small/ exposed and moving... the interior floor of the planes goes up and down quite a bit (ie it has slopes and bumps by design which are quite tricky in a high pair of stilettos etc.. The other nusiance is carrying a carry-on case etc in high heels is not easy - especially if you are walking a long way. It is just a nuisance, as carrying any bulky - or heavy object in a high pair of heels is. Lower heels are ok. rgds Heel-Lover

I fly a lot and wear heels almost always. The most annoying part indeed is to get them back on after a long (usually transatlantic) flight. I like my boots snug, and that becomes a problem with swollen feet. Security wise I have rarely had any problems. I've been questioned in Amman, Tel Aviv and Dallas about them, with the Israeli experience being the worst. The mideast is not the place to wear heels anyhow. Every now and they I have had to take my boots of for separate X-raying but no adverse comments. Other people in the security line are usually intelligent enough to mind their own business. Just the way it should be.

What's all the fuss about?

I always remove my heels during the flight and put them back on once the doors are opened. Its part of the fun to be the last out negotiating the steps and I've still got to wait for the baggage. Here's a thought. In an emergency, if forced to use the slide would you be clutching your stilletoes to your bosom as you jumped or insist on your rights as a heel wearing man and risk a loud "popping" sound? :-)

I travelled my Seychelles today dressed totally in black apart from the brilliant white shoes. The fun bit was in the exec. lounge waiting for 2 hours for a connecting flight. Got some really good stares from the "suits" especially as I had white lace kneehighs on. No problem with swelling anymore than if I was wearing a "normal" shoe.