Have High Heels Helped Your Career?

audreyk

Have High Heels Helped Your Career?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Have High Heels Helped Your Career?

• Yes! I don't get looked over for promotions.
    • Somewhat. They help make a positive impression.
    • Not noticeably.
    • It's only flats at my work.

I can't see that wearing heels has helped my career. I've pretty much always worn heels to work - there's a nice collection of them under my desk at the moment. But I don't see how that has done anything job wise. The main thing with me, because I'm not too tall, is they give me convidence more than anything, so that helps me. Part of my job is meeting people in and out of work and I'd never meet anyone for meetings like that without decent heels.

Out of curiosity, how come you have a collection of heels at your office? Do you wear flats to work, change into heels, a lunch time, change back into flats, come back to your desk, change back into heels, leave work, change back into flats?

I actually see other co-workers who have a collection of heels under their desk too but for me, whichever pair of boots I wear to work will stay on me all day and that is the same pair I wear home.

Hello Heidi They sort of accumulate over time. For instance we had a dreadful winter here. So I obviously wore boots to work, I'd take some shoes in may bag and change into them at work. I didn't want to wear wet slushy boots all day. The shoes would get left at work because I couldn't face taking them back in my bag I carry enough stuff as it is! This Thursday is a good example. It was throwing it down with rain so I wore some knee boots to work - I hate having to wear wet tights that have splash marks on them from cars or just mucky pavements. I got to work and just changed onto one of the pairs of shoes under the desk - easy! That said I came home in my shoes too so I've left the boots there now. Like you I only wear heels at work, I don't do this flattie /heels thing. I do drive in flatties now and then, which means there might be a pair or two of shoes left in the car too. My husband says that I have more shoes at work and in the car than he owns. Not quite true...but close.

Hello Heidi

They sort of accumulate over time. For instance we had a dreadful winter here. So I obviously wore boots to work, I'd take some shoes in may bag and change into them at work. I didn't want to wear wet slushy boots all day. The shoes would get left at work because I couldn't face taking them back in my bag I carry enough stuff as it is! This Thursday is a good example. It was throwing it down with rain so I wore some knee boots to work - I hate having to wear wet tights that have splash marks on them from cars or just mucky pavements. I got to work and just changed onto one of the pairs of shoes under the desk - easy! That said I came home in my shoes too so I've left the boots there now.

Like you I only wear heels at work, I don't do this flattie /heels thing. I do drive in flatties now and then, which means there might be a pair or two of shoes left in the car too.

My husband says that I have more shoes at work and in the car than he owns. Not quite true...but close.

That is very practical of you to have a good selection of shoes and boots at the office and in the car so you are ready for whatever weather you encounter. What is the most pairs of shoes you have worn one day at the office?

Strange as it may sound, I feel very naked without my heels on in a public place so at the office, my boots never come off. I know I am in the minority as the majority of women at the office seem to switch shoes, like yourself, very often.

Heidi You make it sound as if I'm organised. I'm afraid not. Most days I tend to wear the same shoes all day. If the mood takes me I might change at work. Another habit is if I have a new pair of shoes that I'm getting used to I'll wear them around the office. I'm probably just mad! Like you I wear heels in public including the office all the time I feel much better about myself when I do.

Heidi

You make it sound as if I'm organised. I'm afraid not. Most days I tend to wear the same shoes all day. If the mood takes me I might change at work.

People typically wear different outfits to work everyday but like you, if there is a certain pair of heels I like, I would wear that pair for quite a few days consecutively as well! In fact, the pair of boots I have on right now, a leather knee high pair of a 3.5" heel and a plush fur lining, I have worn for 4 out of the last 5 days at the office. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who wears a favorite pair to work for several days in a row :)

Is there a comfortable or favorite pair you have been wearing to the office lately Dolly?

People typically wear different outfits to work everyday but like you, if there is a certain pair of heels I like, I would wear that pair for quite a few days consecutively as well! In fact, the pair of boots I have on right now, a leather knee high pair of a 3.5" heel and a plush fur lining, I have worn for 4 out of the last 5 days at the office. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who wears a favorite pair to work for several days in a row :)

Is there a comfortable or favorite pair you have been wearing to the office lately Dolly?

Heidi

I tend to have a group of shoes for work thatIi sort of alternate. Thinking about it this week I went to work in some slingbacks, they are approaching about a 5" heel and have a platform. Wednesday turned into a shoes day - I went in these slingbacks but I had a business meeting so I decided to change into some black patents stilletoes again 5" platforms. I think black patent always looks good for business. I wasn't particulalry thinking of changing shoes again but when it came to leaving work it was teeming with rain and very windy - dreadful really. I decided to put on some old faithful platform ankle boots that had probably been in the office since teh winter - I was wearing a trouser suit so I neeeded some heels otherwise I would have to hold up my trousers all the way to the car ( 10+ mins). They are quite old and a bit tatty but fine for rubbish weather.

Yesterday and later today I'm just in the office so I've changed again to some very high (6") black patent platforms.

That was mny shoe week.

Dolly

Hello Dolly,

Thank you for sharing your very interesting fashion week at work adventures with us! Going through four pairs of heels over the course of such a short time does seem like putting on a fashion show although it sounds like you did not do it on purpose. Did you change to a different colour pair of nylons when you changed heels between days at work?

I am looking down at the pair of black knee high leather boots with 3" heel I have been wearing to work for two days straight and 3 out of the 5 weekdays this past week. I must be a fashion bore, shoe wise, compared to you. I changed my business suits and sometimes wore different colour pantyhose and socks, but that is mostly hidden by my boots.

Heidi

Heidi

I tend to have a group of shoes for work thatIi sort of alternate. Thinking about it this week I went to work in some slingbacks, they are approaching about a 5" heel and have a platform. Wednesday turned into a shoes day - I went in these slingbacks but I had a business meeting so I decided to change into some black patents stilletoes again 5" platforms. I think black patent always looks good for business. I wasn't particulalry thinking of changing shoes again but when it came to leaving work it was teeming with rain and very windy - dreadful really. I decided to put on some old faithful platform ankle boots that had probably been in the office since teh winter - I was wearing a trouser suit so I neeeded some heels otherwise I would have to hold up my trousers all the way to the car ( 10+ mins). They are quite old and a bit tatty but fine for rubbish weather.

Yesterday and later today I'm just in the office so I've changed again to some very high (6") black patent platforms.

That was mny shoe week.

Dolly

I founded 2 fathers of my 2 childs. The man like girls with High Heels very. This is career? I dont know. I dont work now only timewise as shoeseller, but to have nice shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's great having lots of shoes in one's office. I've got about three pairs to choose from under my desk. Plus some emergency ballet flats in a drawer somewhere. It's useful if you feel you need to freshen up or change the mood just to have a change of footwear. It helps me think too - if I'm stuck with a problem I'll put a fresh pair of shoes in and take a strut down to the cafeteria and get another coffee and by the time I've got back I've usually got some ideas. It's like starting afresh with a clean sheet of paper. Alexa

It’s good fun having different shoes under your desk, just for the pleasure of changing them over the course of the day. I even made a little display on a side table near my desk of a new pair a little while ago – just the shoes side by side with a desk lamp over them so that they looked like they were in the spotlight. It worked quite well and looked very sculptural. It’s great having sculpture you can wear!

I've no idea if it has helped my career, but it brightens up the office

Alexa

• 2 months later...

haha ..... I love your idea of having your heels at work next to your desk like sculptures Alexa! I now have one spare pair of high heeled boots at work. I wear a pair of fur lined knee high boots to work and in case they get too hot, I have a spare pair to change into. My spare pair has really high heels so if I want to look super tall for a presentation, I can wear that but change back into my more comfortable ones after the presentation.

I haven’t got any on display at the moment, as the pair I was using got a bit worn-in looking and wasn’t so shiny and pristine after a while. Plain black courts/pumps in shiny patent material with an elongated tapered heel look best for this sort of thing I feel. Especially if they’ve got contrast coloured lining. So next time I get a pair like this, I’ll use them as an ornament for a while before they get worn looking. ’Til then, I shall just have to show off what’s on my feet.

Alexa