Have High Heels Helped Your Career?

audreyk

Have High Heels Helped Your Career?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Have High Heels Helped Your Career?

• Yes! I don't get looked over for promotions.
    • Somewhat. They help make a positive impression.
    • Not noticeably.
    • It's only flats at my work.

I was just wondering how much of an affect high heels have had on your career. I work in a corporate type environment and most of the high level people all seem to be really tall. The regular rank and file people all seem to be shorter. I pretty much wear heels to work all the time so that people can look me in the eye, instead of at my hair, but I am still not as tall as most of the other men and women. I have thought about wearing a higher heel, like 4 or 5 inches, or one with a platform, but I'm worried that they'll seem inappropriate. I can't seem to find very many shoes with a 4" or higher heel that seem appropriate for work. I mostly shop at Nine West, Aldo, Steve Madden. So I'm stuck either being short or wearing shoes that are inappropriate.... :smile:

Does anyone wear 4" or 5" heels to work and do they seem to help or hurt your career?

Thanks!

Heels are not part of my dresscode, but I love to wear them if only so I can daydream about certain situations...has anyone read Enslaving Anna by Giselle Lorimer? Well anyway, I would never want a promotion,so if heels keeps it from me thats fine :smile:

I have not been an employee but I have been an employer. Addressing the topic of this thread, I would have to say, I hope not. Just as with many of the topics on this forum, the personal experiences toward this topic are going to be varied. In the environment I've always been accustomed to, my shoes are only a small part of how I present myself. This is particularly true in the business arena of which I was involved. (A short period after my husband passed away) The height of my heels wasn't relevant. They were always quite high. The "style" of my heels, attire, hair, jewelry, and most significantly my "mannerisms, were fundamental to how I was perceived. In my husband's family's company it was professionalism, not high heels, that brought the rewards. Susan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I totally agress in your poll, as i mentioned b4 in this forum. High heels should be office dresscode.

Alicia

I always wear heels to work (usually 5") - people know when I am coming to a meeting when they hear my heels on the floorboards. I'm not sure if they have helped my career but both the men and women notice my heels (since it does give me some extra height already being 5'10").

I love my heels!

Hi I agree with Susan it is your hard work and professionalism, not high heels that get you recognised---although I do always wear high heels 4.5" and 5" to work and feel it gives me a smart professional and feminine look and this does help. I believe people do notice your footwear and a pair sexy high heel does not hurt to be seen in. I just love heels too. Sarah G

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure if it has helped my career, but I'm just one of only two women in the office. Mainly dominated by male workforce. I do get quite a few guys take a quick glimpse at me because of my heel height. It feels good to be noticed though and that just makes me more confident. So look on guys!!! I love it.

"I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot"--Marilyn Monroe

• 1 month later...

I do not think they have helped or hurt my career. I dress professionally and I wear 4" to 5" heels everyday. I know some women frown on my choices but I kill them with kindness and overwhelm them with my skills and desire. What I have found is that so much depends on how you carry yourself and your skills. If you don't have skills, a pair of heels might get you noticed and some may favor you at work but in the end we are working harder, trying to do more with less people. So smile, work smart and look fabulous:smile:

• 1 month later...

I always wear heels and people always remark on them, and they have defo made a positive impression and people normally complement my fashion sense, but I don't think (or at least I hope) I haven't been promoted on the weight of the shoes I wear. I'd like to think me being good at my job helps :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...

Not sure, the boss has never said "your high heels helped get you over the line". What I do know is that while often where the higher end of the scale to work, I know some of the other women don't like it because they cannot or choose not to and know it gets the eye of the guys. I'm also happily spoken for so no competition . But I also dress the higher heel to be professional. 5" heels can very easily go slutty, especially with a pair of E's as I have on my chest. I normally where a business skirt suit, skirt length follows the seasons. As a property Manager I know I have to be careful with house inspections and heel damage so on the days I know I'm not going out I will go the full stiletto, but on those property days especially if I know they have floors that can be damaged or an uneven access I tone the heel height down and may go block'ish. I also keep a pair of generic lower block heels for the just in case in the car. I usually drive barefoot (and most of my heels have straps), but taking shoes off at the door doesn't cut it for me. Looks un professional. Although I know I may look a bit ou of place on rural properties, but I live on one. I think the domination look has helped with some tenants. Imagine walking in 5" heels with metal dips, wearing a dark suit (some cleavage), appropriate hair and a stern voice seems to have worked where others have failed. This is probably what got me the promotion. Could I have done it without, "the look" and heels, not sure I think not, the heels gives me that bit of confidence being taller. When don't have an official uniform, but boss has strict guidelines and pays the girls extra cash to cover the cost of our clothes as he knows it costs more. The extra money is not based on any particular rule, more you walk in wearing what you brought and show receipt and your pay gets a boost on pay day. He often makes a minor comment as legally he has to be careful but I know I get small positive comments like, smart suit, nice shoes and 100% of costs covered, so I believe I'm on a winner. Regards Shane

• 2 weeks later...

I am an artist , so I have more latitude with my clothes and shoes. I typically wear five inch heels , but never platforms and never too sexy stuff. I typically wear a dress or skirt to work. I am really slender so I go for the long tall thin look and tall heels is part of that look. I can't really wear any denim or shorts as that is considered picnic clothing not professional. The heels are my personal style and I spend plenty to get good ones that fit better and are well made so they are tolerable all day. A while back I did some sales work and that was when I learned the simple rule that the higher the heel the better the pay. An outfit well fitted paid off huge, a slutty outfit too short or tooo tight was bad news. You get lots of personal offers and no professional rewards. I was there simply to make money so I learned the system. wendy

Hi, I think you are buying your shoes from good fashion shops. Style is important and heel height. It is all about opinions. The classic court shoe or pump never goes amiss. A thicker 4 or 5 inch heel may look better for business than the classic stiletto. Knee or ankle boots can look very good as well. Sue ( Teeza)

• 1 month later...

Personally, I like to think I'm good at what I do. Whatever I wear, I get the job done to everyone's satisfaction. Having said that, I also think the way I dress and behave gets me noticed just a bit more. This bit more may have given me chances to show how good I really am. Chances I might not have got if I didn't get noticed. The way I dress makes me feel good and gives me confidence, which I believe radiates from me. I think this is what people pick up on in the first place and what gets me noticed and why people want to work with me. Not so much my skirts, high heels or the bit extra cleavage. I also know, from experience, that some women at some companies will never get the chance they deserve, no matter what they wear. The glass ceiling, it still exists. Some guys apparently still have trouble with women being as good or better. So, have my high heels helped my career? I think so, in a way. Maybe not just my high heels, but they are part of the whole package.

My personal opinion and expereince may I add is that it actually works against you (unless you work for a small business and the boss is extremely sleazy). What I mean is with discrimination laws etc in this country, all managers are scared of their own shadow. I have actually seen very pretty ladies come in for interviews etc (some in heels some not) who the boss has turned down. Sometimes its his subordinates who do the intervioews and turn them down. This, I have found out, is because if anything goes wrong or they end up not being as everyone expected, then it looks bad on the interviewers becasue it would seem they only hired her for no reason. But if its a 'plain jane' type, then there is no problem. therefore any doubt in the candidate can be exasserbated by her looks. I have also experienced these inverted politically correct aspects of work in my 10 years of working. It is a shame that even in this modern day, a woman who is comfortable with her attire will still be seen in negative light. In short, I would say heels have never helped my career. In fact i would say the opposite. But it does mean I can be proud that I have got to where I am because of hard work and putting in the hours. ukbabeinheels

• 2 months later...

Recently on a Australian TV current affairs show that did a story on why some get promoted/hired over others. The below is not the only reason, but when all else was equal these factors kicked in. The sex of the boss had some bearing on below which favoured more or less, but the result was similar - Both sexes,Taller people tend to suceed more than shorter - Both sexes, More attractive over less attractive - Both sexes, older workers who look aged and tied due to aging such as those with lots of badly sun damaged skin are less likely to be employed - Both sexes, naturally very pale skin. They suggested a light spray on tan if looking for work will assist take the sickly pale look away - Both sexes, Reasonable weight range, especially in warmer climates where its harder to hide under layers and more phsyical jobs - Women, Light use of makeup, excessive looks cheap, but none makes you look flat against those who do - Women, bigger but not huge boobs. This one I thought male bosses, but even women bosses Personally I feel my heels may have helped, but mainly because its the overall confident look and maybe giving the extra height. Not because I turned up in high heels only. I've never heard my previously female boss say those heels look nice. But I have heard her say X should get some shoes she can actually walk in.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, my heels helped me in my career. I,m working in sales and, from my experience, when you are nice dressed and you wear high heels , almost half of the business is done before customer find details. Specially if they are mens. But this come with a price, wearing daily 10cm high heels, pointy toes and sometimes smaller size than usually wear, i developed corns on my toes which sometimes are very painful. During the years i learned how not to show my pain to my customers even if i was in agony. That,s why i can wear a lot of unconfortable shoes w/o somebody to imagine about my corns and blisters. Everything is coming with a price, my price paid for my career is corns, blisters, curled toes. What did you think? It worth?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It's hard to tell. I'd really need a flat heeled control group to compare myself with. Certainly people at work notice my shoes and we have interesting conversations about them sometimes, so they're an icebreaker and get conversations started. Which certainly helps things along. Alexa

I work in a office-type environment and it's 'business dress' except for Friday, which is casual day. I wear high heels and it's kind of the status quo around here. if that makes any sense? Even on Friday's when it's casual, people still look a little preppy and we still wear heels, but maybe more fun-style. I believe it helps for sure. People judge people for a number of things and I think that a pair of high heels makes me look more powerful, sexy, seductive, submissive, etc... can be taken diff ways...

Does anyone ever Email anymore? Send me one! I like to chat!

While I am certain that heels are just a part of my work ensemble that includes smart skirts, blouses, sweaters, jackets or in some cases long white lab coats and safety goggles, I still opt to wear heels to work even though ballet flats would work just as well for my profession. I know for many professions though like the banking profession, sales, fashion, media, high heel sandals or pumps are standard attire.

• 7 months later...

Skirts, hosiery, and high heeled footwear are very simple elements which can be combined in a multitude of ways to accentuate the female form, presence, and countenance.

Boot me up, Boot me down

• 1 month later...

Maybe. I lost a leg a little while back and use crutches about 90% of the time. I have continued my love of heels and wear a 4" stiletto, and sometimes 5". I have given many presentations to prospective and current clients in a stiletto and on crutches and from the look on some of their faces feel that I have at least an edge over the competition.

• 3 months later...

I can't see that wearing heels has helped my career. I've pretty much always worn heels to work - there's a nice collection of them under my desk at the moment. But I don't see how that has done anything job wise. The main thing with me, because I'm not too tall, is they give me convidence more than anything, so that helps me. Part of my job is meeting people in and out of work and I'd never meet anyone for meetings like that without decent heels.