Female undertakers

Maryanne

Once again we see standards decline in favour of political correctness. Female funeral personnel here in Australia are kicking up a stink about wearing their uniforms. They state that wearing high heels is dangerous and have just pushed a case through the AWU to get their employer's policies banned. The next point on their agenda is to allow their female employees to wear pants instead of skirts. It seems that there is terrible pressure out there to androgenise what little femininity is left in the workplace. The article can be found here:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,5256322%255E2862,00.html

Speaking for myself, at the funerals I have been to in the last few years, the female staff have always been very well presented with nicely tailored clothes and neat, conservative hair and make-up. To contrast this, the average male funeral person is usually wearing a very cheap and nasty polyester suit, average personal hygiene and frequently looks more like a crim than someone in a decent, productive, respectful job. I think that if the female working at this funeral home don't wish to maintain a nice standard of presentation, they should be looking for jobs elsewhere. I wish my place of employment would set and maintain certain standards of presentation, because at the moment it has none, which is made quite evident by what some of my colleagues drag themselves into work in.

Maryanne. :smile:

I agree with the workers. If a woman is doing a traditionally man's job let them wear pants for the safety sake. I remember in the very early 60s a lady nurse lived next door and everymorning would walk past our house. She wore a starched nurses uniform dress with cap and stockings. That was before pantyhose. Later about 1970 they started wearing pantsuits which were pants with a tunic top. I remember my mom repeating over and over how ugly they were. I do not think my mom owned a pair of pants until almost 1975. Anyway... I can not imagine a female dental hygenist cleaning one's teeth in a dress or skirt. (Don't get angry yet!!!) "Vanessa, a White Lady funeral arranger/conductor who did not want to give her real name, said the dress policy was outdated. During burials, four female workers have to balance on a 7cm ledge as they lower a casket weighing up to 150kg over a grave up to three metres deep. " If they do that let them wear pants and lace up oxfords. I do not know exactly everything as in America the funerals are different. The casket is lowered after everyone leaves and a wench and crank/pulley system is used. There is definantly a double standard. I do not think females should be required to wear shoes/clothes that the men are not willing to. Besides I think it is safe to say generally corporations are run by males so therefore they set the rules. I used to have a friend who worked at a bank in the early 80s. Where I lived was in the deep south and summer lasts from March until December. She said they had to wear sleaves and stockings. On the other hand personally I wish they would let a male wear a skirt and heels to work. How many times have I seen a female who weighed 300 pounds wear something a bit too much at work and get away with it. I would always think... "That is not fair for her to get to wear that and I can not. Besides I would look better in it thn her". But that will never happen. Yes you are right the male undertakers often look very creepy... I say if they want the females to wear skirts and heels make the men also. " "What is fair for the goose is fair for the gander". It is baffeling though in another job why females wear these "menwear" suits wen they could wear a mid-calf slim skirt and high heel pums. I would if could. But then again I am a girl on the inside. Renée Yes, that is now my real name. YIPPEE!"

I think the female funeral workers should be allowed to wear flat shoes and trousers on the job. They could always wear heels in the office or arranging the funeral if they wanted and change into pratical footwear if they needed to carry a coffin or something. I don't see what the fuss is about. Let everyone wear what they want, when they want. Of course, certain standards of presentation and hygiene apply when working in a sensitive business like funerals, but that's a different matter.

There was a similar issue last year involving cocktail waitresses in Las Vegas in the U.S. The waitresses wanted to end a mandatory 2-inch heel dress code in favor of one-inch heels. I was only partly sympathetic to the cocktail waitresses, given that flash, image and sex appeal is what Las Vegas is selling, but I think the funeral workers in Australia have a point. If they are expected to perform genuine physical labor (and I would say lowering caskets into the ground qualifies as physical labor), then the safety and mobility of flat shoes is important. As was previously pointed out, most people wouldn't consider the shoes in the photograph to be high heels anyway, so why make a big deal about flats?

Not sure I should be here, but I agree that when it comes to safety, then both men and women should wear appropriate clothes. However, when it comes to office work, then both men and women should present themselves appropriately. As for what 'appropriately' is, well, that should be left to the individuals, under guidance from management. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I think that in situations where respect is important, such as funeral homes, hospitals, and so on, then it is more polite and more respectful to adopt a more conservative position on clothing. I agree with Maryanne that this needs to cut both ways. I work in IT, and I regularly see men who look absolutely terrible! They should also be taken aside and have appropriate dress explained to them!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

It is just pure common sense. If your job requires a lot of physical work like walking on uneven ground, flat shoes are definitely better for the job. Safety is always the top priority. Vanity have to second spot. Don't expect a female soldier to be wearing stilletto heels and charge up a hill with full combat gear. :smile:

Cheers,

Nata

I agree with that, but there are going to be a few guys at the very least who would love to see that.

There'll always be the fetish videos and the like around for those that do desire to see such images.