johnieheel

Height or style  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Height or style

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found that the higher the heel, the better the feeling, but only up to a point. 4" is the max height I like to wear and don't have to struggle at all in. I didn't vote though because there isn't an option for both. I wear high heeled boots for both the height and the style. Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

• 6 months later...

I just realized I never voted or commented here.

I love the height of heels. I wouldn't wear them if it wasn't for the heel height and I often find myself more attracted to the higher heeled models than the lower ones. Honestly I feel that in larger sizes a lower heel looks almost frumpy.

That said, I only buy heels for their style. Sure, sometimes the attraction is that the style is radical, crazy or a little beyond what most women would wear to a night club, but I still buy for style over heel height.

An option for 'both' might have covered my rambling a bit easier though...

Chris

• 1 month later...

I would like to say height but it is indeed style which I buy my shoes and boots. Average height for my styles is 4" with some at 3" and a few at 5". For some time now I fallen for wedges for my style, really like them the countryside living. That said I can say in the new year I am looking at some spikes again. Happy heeling for the holidays. Mtnsofheels

The higher the better. But if its clunky looking, forget it. Needs to be both high and stylish!

So are you saying it has to be high stilettos, on a guy, to be stylish?

Style, or appearing stylish does not include looking stupid... All things in proportion...

I dont get this endless fixation on sky high, wafer thin heels?

If your overall shape doesnt match it, it will look unbalanced, and definately NOT stylish!

Same goes for outfit, if the top half of you looks like a retired accountant and the lower half looks like a bingo playing granny, again, it looks unbalanced and poorly thought out and un-co-ordinated even. Some might even say "Done just for the sake of wearing the heels or a poor attempt at justifying them" (Saw a picture like that here recently)..

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

• 4 weeks later...

The higher the better. But if its clunky looking, forget it. Needs to be both high and stylish!

So are you saying it has to be high stilettos, on a guy, to be stylish?

Style, or appearing stylish does not include looking stupid... All things in proportion...

I dont get this endless fixation on sky high, wafer thin heels?

If your overall shape doesnt match it, it will look unbalanced, and definately NOT stylish!

Same goes for outfit, if the top half of you looks like a retired accountant and the lower half looks like a bingo playing granny, again, it looks unbalanced and poorly thought out and un-co-ordinated even. Some might even say "Done just for the sake of wearing the heels or a poor attempt at justifying them" (Saw a picture like that here recently)..

You are both right! And your comments do not conflict.

Gary considers that a 'clunky' [i would say 'clumpy'] heel is not stylish in his opinion, even if it is high. Tech assumes that this must equate style only to a high stiletto. Not so - I strongly suspect that all three of us would consider a straight 4 - 4.5" heel that was around 1- 1.5" in width to be high, stylish, not clumpy/clunky and perfectly suitable for male wear in public. (OK, we might differ in precise parameters but I hope you can see that there is ample middle ground.)

I agree with Tech on the overall look. And I'm certainly not emulating a bingo-playing granny and I promise not to show that I am (thankfully :smile:) a retired accountant (amongst other things).

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, style is the driving force that keeps my interest in wearing heels. However, most of the shoes in my size are designed for little old ladies at the nursing home. At least the ones, on the shelves in many stores. Online is usually my only avenue for my selection.

• 4 months later...

70's platforms are where its at. Shoes will never be made like these again. I have a pair of pedwin 3 inch plats. They are the best shoes i ever wore. i could wear them all day every day with no pain. I even wore them on a date. i got no negative feedback with them. The best places to buy heels is at vintage stores. Im toronto, they have the best vintage clothes in north america. I try to find vintage shoes that have never been worn before. A great place to shop is House of Vintage in Toronto. The selection is amazing. When you shop in this place everything is pretty much unisex. I got a pair of 3 inch womens heeled boots. Redish brown knee high with a side zip for $55.00 canadian dollars. The sales girl said they looked awesome. She even gave me a bag to carry home the boots i walked in with. Another good store is 69 vintage, which is across the street. Next time i go there i want to find a nice pair of frye boots for the winter time. half of my footwear is mens and half is womens. But there is no difference really. In the 70's everybody wore plats and bells. Just like today where both sexes wear skinny jeans. Back then you were ultra cool if you wore platforms.

70's platforms are where its at. Shoes will never be made like these again...

"Never" is a long time, and fashions come and go. The pendulum swings back and forth, and styles often repeat themselves (after the manufacturers are sure most people have discarded the old fashions). We not only might see heels for men again be popular, but it might be in our lifetimes, and it might even be better than the 70s. I wouldn't be surprised.

Steve

I love height, but syle is important too. Anything with a platform is a no go because its fake height. A 6" heel with a 2"platform is basically a 4" heeled shoe. Plus platforms just look plain ugly to me.

For me, ultimately it has to be style driven and fit in with my outfit (not that I get that right very often...). Height is important and can compensate to a certain extent for a lack of style, but a flat can be just as attractive. Also I'd suggest it's even more important for a guy than a girl to be able to walk in heels well; if you couldn't mix it with a cat-walk model then lose some inches!!! For me 6" isn't pretty, 5" maybe on a good day but 4" is fine.

Well, I think that style is the more important component. I recent bought a pair of shoes with a 1 1/2 wedge heel from Payless that, to me, looks mondo sharp.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...