Wearing girl jeans – a parallel to wearing heels?

Rob

I like the idea of getting some skinny (or at least narrow-legged) jeans to wear with my (male) pointed boots. I'm not sufficiently in touch with the UK fashion scene to know where best to buy either male or female versions. I normally wear a 34-36" waist and 32" inside leg - how would that translate to a UK woman's size? Can anyone suggest some user-friendly outlets (i.e. not wholly aimed at teenagers and preferably without piped music) where the prices are modest? (I'm not interested in labels and don't expect top quality.) One place with a big range that I have bought from in the past - Cromwell's Madhouse - told me that they don't sell skinny jeans. If they are fashionable, I wonder why not?

I like the idea of getting some skinny (or at least narrow-legged) jeans to wear with my (male) pointed boots. I'm not sufficiently in touch with the UK fashion scene to know where best to buy either male or female versions. I normally wear a 34-36" waist and 32" inside leg - how would that translate to a UK woman's size? Can anyone suggest some user-friendly outlets (i.e. not wholly aimed at teenagers and preferably without piped music) where the prices are modest? (I'm not interested in labels and don't expect top quality.)

One place with a big range that I have bought from in the past - Cromwell's Madhouse - told me that they don't sell skinny jeans. If they are fashionable, I wonder why not?

Give New Look a try. They have skinny jeans which fit tight and now they have them skintight fitting with the leg flared at the bottom 12". I like those!! You should alos have no trouble trying them on. Uniqlo also have a good range and they too are pretty cheap. £15 to £20 gets you a good pair these days. Let us know how you get on.

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

Give New Look a try. They have skinny jeans which fit tight and now they have them skintight fitting with the leg flared at the bottom 12". I like those!! You should alos have no trouble trying them on. Uniqlo also have a good range and they too are pretty cheap. £15 to £20 gets you a good pair these days. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks, loswabs. Are the New Look jeans men's or women's - I know some NL shops do sell men's clobber? If women's, what size do I try? I've never heard of Uniqlo - is it a brand, a shop chain or what? (Oh, I do miss C&A!)

Thanks, loswabs. Are the New Look jeans men's or women's - I know some NL shops do sell men's clobber? If women's, what size do I try? I've never heard of Uniqlo - is it a brand, a shop chain or what? (Oh, I do miss C&A!)

Hello puffer,

you could say the half of your normal size jeans rounded down minimum with two, that works for me....

E.G. I am a size 40 in male jeans, so I take half of that minus two gives me a size 18 and they fir perfect....

other example, a size 38 male, devided by two is 19 minus 2 is 17, I would say that a size 16female would work perfect....

Just try, and if they don't fit, you always can return them.... That's the nice thing of New look and Next...

Anyway, good luck

FoxyLady

Well, I Have at least 8 pairs of women's jeans - most at a regular length - 34/35" inseam and three pair in long lengths... I agree about the stitching and I also don't really care for the "destroyed" look that was popular last couple years (seems to be over now). I wear a 34 (sometime 33) womens waist size that works out to a size 14 for a low rise and a size 16 for a higher waist jean. Junior size 15 works well, also. My favorite store is the Buckle - where they have mens and womens jeans and I get great assistance there as well. The y say lots of men wear the ladies cut jeans. Silver Aiko, Tuesdays (very low rise), BKE Star, Culture, LuckyBrand Wonder. Mid priced ($75-$100) For those that want a bit cheaper - Alloy webstore or partner Delia have jeans up to 37" inseam, wide, mid and boot cut available...

Hello puffer,

you could say the half of your normal size jeans rounded down minimum with two, that works for me....

E.G. I am a size 40 in male jeans, so I take half of that minus two gives me a size 18 and they fir perfect....

other example, a size 38 male, devided by two is 19 minus 2 is 17, I would say that a size 16female would work perfect....

Just try, and if they don't fit, you always can return them.... That's the nice thing of New look and Next...

Anyway, good luck

Just wanted to offer my confirmation that this formula is pretty accurate, for me at least. Thanks for the information!

On another note, my love of women's jeans has got me into buying women's dress trousers as well. Any guys doing this also?

Style is built from the ground up!

Hi Puffer

I think New Look now do men's jeans but the section is pretty small. I suggest you try two labels - Disco, which are skinny jeans right down to the ankle, or Shimmy, which are really skintight down to just below the knee, at which point they flare out. They both in 3 lengths - 30, 32 and 34 inches. I'm a 30" waist and get into a size 8 which will be pretty tight, so you can go down a couple of sizes.

Uniqlo are a chain of shops which have a similar range, they're sizes are maybe a tad more generous as I've fitted into size 4 jeans and they still weren't quite tight enough!!

Still, have a nice day out shopping and let us know what you buy.

Hi Puffer

I think New Look now do men's jeans but the section is pretty small. I suggest you try two labels - Disco, which are skinny jeans right down to the ankle, or Shimmy, which are really skintight down to just below the knee, at which point they flare out. They both in 3 lengths - 30, 32 and 34 inches. I'm a 30" waist and get into a size 8 which will be pretty tight, so you can go down a couple of sizes.

Uniqlo are a chain of shops which have a similar range, they're sizes are maybe a tad more generous as I've fitted into size 4 jeans and they still weren't quite tight enough!!

Still, have a nice day out shopping and let us know what you buy.

Thanks loswabs, and others. I will investigate after Christmas when the true sales are on! :thumbsup:

I'm still a little confused about the ladies size conversions - correct me someone if I'm wrong but aren't the US and UK ladies sizes different, with US being smaller for the same number? (As with shoes!) One reference I found did suggest that a 36" waist was more like a UK18, but I suppose the answer is to try a 16 and 18 and hope that (unlike the hotel that didn't have facilities for dancing) there will be adequate ballroom! And I am wary about lengths - women's jeans seem to focus more on the outside leg rather than the inside - I need a 32" inside, which suggest I must go for what the tall ladies buy. (And I go for tall ladies too!)

I found Uniqlo on the web but there is no branch near me.

OK., jeans can be ordered with traditional US/Canada Sizing Size 0-20 where the formula meantioned earlier works, OK. Though also it depends a lot on the brand and even the style (low rise, ultra low, mid rise) of the jeans. I've order 16's that fit and are loose, same for 15's (junior - odd- sizes are for younger female figures (interpret that as less hip width - generally good for guys ) - in a Levis 513 low rise I wear 13 in the stretch fabric, 15 in non-stretch). Then there is the international sizing (which does not include most of asia... in this case take a mens waist size in inches and subtract 2 or 4 inches. A 34 waist in a buckle BKE Star womens jean fits my 36 inch mens jean hips and waist. watch out for higher waist jeans however as - unless you wear a corset - the waist will be too small for you. That is why I stick to women's jeans rated as low rise or super low rise.

Hi Puffer, Most girls/womans jeans also give a waist size on the label, so I go on that. However I take a 34" waist in mens, but have found that a 32" waist gives the best fit in lower rise girl jeans - probably because these jeans sit on the hips rather than the waist, and women have larger hips for the same waist size than men. But my size tends to be nearer the top end of sizes that most fashionable shops do, so you might find that if you are a 36" waist, you might not find anything in New Look, Top Shop or River Island. Oh, and I take a 32 inside leg (inseam to our US readers) in flat shoes. This is general a regular in girl jeans and again normally marked as 32. In my 2.5 inch heel Jonny Boots, I wear a 34 leg (long). To give you more of an idea of my size: I'm 6ft and 12st 5lbs. Regarding skinny jeans: My experience is that true skinny jeans just don't look right on men of our age! However womens straight leg jeans, which are tighter than mens straight leg jeans, give the cool, trendy, indie guitar band member look. With your avatar boots, like a less extreme Russel Brand. There used to be a Uniqlo in Brighton near the Clock Tower, but it closed down 6 or 7 years ago - I got some great bargains! The Nearest now are Croydon and Bromley, and there are several in central London. I can't believe how long this thread has run since I started it!

Regarding skinny jeans: My experience is that true skinny jeans just don't look right on men of our age! However womens straight leg jeans, which are tighter than mens straight leg jeans, give the cool, trendy, indie guitar band member look. With your avatar boots, like a less extreme Russel Brand.

Interesting that you raise this point. I tend to find women's skinny jeans fit me better than men's skinny jeans. I tried on a pair for both sexes in Uniqlo a few weeks ago and the women's fitted me perfectly while the means were incredibly tight and ill-fitting. It must be down to the simple fact that women's jeans have more room for the bottom (handy for my behind!) and contain lycra, whereas men's don't. Also, I think it boils down to where you get your jeans from. Each store and designer uses slightly different cuts.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

I am just over 6', and fit either snug in a 36" waist, or loose in a 38". I weigh, currently at 225lbs. Size misses 16's faily loose, 14's (especially in higher rise) tight. I have an awsome pair of Derrion (Beyonce's) jeans in size 14 (mid rise) and they are a tough too small...so I'll lose the extra 10lbs (I hope LOL). 32" inseam normally, also, so go long with the heels I want to cover. Go normal on heels I want to show (like Saturday night).

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

Interesting that you raise this point. I tend to find women's skinny jeans fit me better than men's skinny jeans. I tried on a pair for both sexes in Uniqlo a few weeks ago and the women's fitted me perfectly while the means were incredibly tight and ill-fitting. It must be down to the simple fact that women's jeans have more room for the bottom (handy for my behind!) and contain lycra, whereas men's don't. Also, I think it boils down to where you get your jeans from. Each store and designer uses slightly different cuts.

Oh they fit OK and yes, the lycra in the women's is better.

But I'm talking about how they look with an older face and some gray hairs.

From your avitar, you look young enough to get away with them, but in my 40's, with a slight belly, they just don't look right on me.

Regarding skinny jeans: My experience is that true skinny jeans just don't look right on men of our age!

Speak for yourself, John Alden! I love my skinny jeans (men's Levi's 511 or women's) and I think I look damn good in them at 56! So does my wife, daughter in law, etc. etc.!!

It's all about the heel!

Speak for yourself, John Alden! I love my skinny jeans (men's Levi's 511 or women's) and I think I look damn good in them at 56! So does my wife, daughter in law, etc. etc.!!

Hear, hear!!! I love my skintight skinny jeans and so does my wife!!!

... watch out for higher waist jeans however as - unless you wear a corset - the waist will be too small for you.

Thanks for the hint tallguyinheels :-)

I was just planning to buy a pair of women's jeans with higher waist soon.

(And I don't intend to wear a corset :thumbsup: )

I will definitively try them in the store before buying.

I currently wear boot cut 31" waist jeans that are a bit longer in the legs so they hide my heels. At 5'8.5" and 175 pounds, I am still working on dropping another 10 pounds or so. Considering I started at 238 pounds and a 46" waist, I feel really good about where I am now. The 31" jeans are actually getting a little loose. Just a tiny bit of tummy fat that bothers me but I have been working on that with exercise. I plan to try some women's jeans soon to see how they look as I love the way they compliment heels on women.

I currently wear boot cut 31" waist jeans that are a bit longer in the legs so they hide my heels. At 5'8.5" and 175 pounds, I am still working on dropping another 10 pounds or so. Considering I started at 238 pounds and a 46" waist, I feel really good about where I am now. The 31" jeans are actually getting a little loose. Just a tiny bit of tummy fat that bothers me but I have been working on that with exercise. I plan to try some women's jeans soon to see how they look as I love the way they compliment heels on women.

Congratulations on your weight loss! I lost from 260 to 180 a few years back and developed a love for jeans at that point. Over the years I have put about 35 pounds back on and need to shake it, and your experience provides me with some inspiration.

Besides, I would LOVE to have more options for jeans...

I suppose I should be grateful that, at 6' 1.5", I have been a steady 185 lbs (plus or minus around 5 lbs) for the last 40 years - but my waist has gone gradually from 32" to 35/36", so women's jeans are not quite so easy for me. But I shall carry out a field survey in due course and report any successful acquisition.

A result, of sorts, sooner than I expected. I was today browsing in a local charity shop and looked at the available jeans. Nothing suitable in men's but found a pair of skinny grey women's jeans in size 16. The helpful lady measured them and the waist was a good 35" and the leg almost 32". In good condition, at £3.90 they were worth a punt. They fit quite well but are very clingy, although the elastane content helps. They do sit low (as I suppose is intended) and have very shallow pockets (ditto - and useless when it comes to standing a round of drinks!) and the short fly is zipped on the ladies' side (blush!) but not too obvious. Whether I will wear them out is undecided; I do rather agree with the views of others that something a little less skinny might be better.

A result, of sorts, sooner than I expected. I was today browsing in a local charity shop and looked at the available jeans. Nothing suitable in men's but found a pair of skinny grey women's jeans in size 16. The helpful lady measured them and the waist was a good 35" and the leg almost 32". In good condition, at £3.90 they were worth a punt.

They fit quite well but are very clingy, although the elastane content helps. They do sit low (as I suppose is intended) and have very shallow pockets (ditto - and useless when it comes to standing a round of drinks!) and the short fly is zipped on the ladies' side (blush!) but not too obvious. Whether I will wear them out is undecided; I do rather agree with the views of others that something a little less skinny might be better.

Charity shops are a great resource for jeans and heels. I suspect the ladies who work in them have seen it all before, and they're always very helpful when I try stilettos.

If you're not confident going out in skinny jeans, try some tight boot cut ones. You still get the fit above the knee, but you'll be less self-conscious with a flare over your heels.

Charity shops are a great resource for jeans and heels. I suspect the ladies who work in them have seen it all before, and they're always very helpful when I try stilettos.

If you're not confident going out in skinny jeans, try some tight boot cut ones. You still get the fit above the knee, but you'll be less self-conscious with a flare over your heels.

Lucky you, loswabs, being able to find stilettos in a charity shop that fit you; not likely in my case (UK11)!

I'm still not sure what look and fit I'm really after in jeans. Probably a straight and narrowish (drainpipe?) leg but without being skintight all the way up and down. I don't need to hide my footwear as I'm wearing men's styles and indeed it was to compliment the boots in my avatar that I fancied something narrower. They can be normal length; the heels should remain uncovered.

As an ageing heel worshipper, I find girly jeans are great to enhance a super figure, but I get very upset when the jeans are so long that they touch the ground and hide what often sounds like a super heel show. If people want to wear jeans and heels, then please wear boots and tuck the jeans inside the boot. I often feel that girls hiding their heels with jeans or trousers love their heels but are afraid of what others might think and as such are afraid to show them off

I often feel that girls hiding their heels with jeans or trousers love their heels but are afraid of what others might think and as such are afraid to show them off

It's the style lampwort, not fear that causes women to "hide their heels beneath long trousers. I've never known a girl that didn't want the entire world to notice their shoes. It's almost like a beacon attracting attention and showing off a female's taste and style sense. (at least it is with my "3" favorite females. :thumbsup:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I just bought a pair of black low rise skinny jeans yesterday. I wore them to our New Years Eve party with a pair of gold strappy sandals and a sheer black top. These jeans are so snug they're like wearing panyhose with pockets. It's my first pair of women's pants and I think I will buy more.

Here's a picture oof me in a new pair of girlie skinny jeans, fairly tight, with some gorgeous Faith stilettos

I love those shoes!!!!

Very nice jeans and they are great with those pumps. Have you worn them out yet?