Why black...

stellah

Most of the footwear - including shoes and boots - are black in colour. Most shoelovers favor the colour black too... Black stockings, black dress - we consider it sexy... Any psychological background to it? Why we love black so much? :smile:

Posted Image

HH forever!

Most of the footwear - including shoes and boots - are black in colour. Most shoelovers favor the colour black too... Black stockings, black dress - we consider it sexy... Any psychological background to it? Why we love black so much? :smile:

Posted Image

I was told once that for white people, black underwear is attractive because it is a color with strong contrast. For black people, it is the other way around: white is the most commonly bought color. For shoes, that could be true too.

Another theory could be that floors, streets and pavements are usually of a dark greyish colour, and since attention should go to people's face, shoes should not attract attention, and basic black is a good unintruisive choice. Same goes for eg. cowboys in the dusty west: the original cowboy boot is brownish-yellow.

What's all the fuss about?

That?s a new one on me Bert! I'm white and have never owned any black underwear. Khaki is the only other color underwear I've ever had -- and it was issued when I was in the military. As far as black shoes go, I think it might have something to do with the tanning process and probably with making boots waterproof -- such as rubbing animal fat into the leather to keep moisture out.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I heard it was because it made people's women's feet look smaller. Thus black shoes, stockings and skirt make her look skinnier. I was also reading a book on colors. Each color has different meanings. Black froom what I remember is sort of mysterious and untouchable. Perhaps it creates more of a challange to a male when he sees a female in a bar? Where as red is passion and the "lady in red" syndrome would seem to exude sexuality. I am not saying this is all true, just some opiinions. Renée

Posted Image

I like black as it combines with mostly all clothes. and it doesnot show off

i wore camel boots recently and they were more noticed than black ones.

Have no black underwear though :grin:

GJ

small or big doesn't matter, wear your heels proud .... that is!

In victorian Britain black clothes were only for the well-off, so whether they became more popular as people tried to aspire to appear well off I'm not sure. Also possibly a throwback to Victorian mourning clothes after she died. Certainly it is still a very popular colour and shows no sign of losing its popularity. Certainly this season black is more popular than ever.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Personally I used to wear almost exclusively black clothes, and still do wear black jeans. I'm not sure why I do it, but it seems to be a 'smart' colour to me, although a friend once told me that she dressed all in black because it was an 'evil' colour :smile: Goth I guess, and I've been described as a 'jeans & t-shirt goth', but not my reasons as far as footwear goes, all my heels are are black, too *shrug* my £0.02

Actually, tanned leather can vary in colour between cream and dark brown but usually comes out a kind of beige. The variation depends on: the strength of the tanning, the length of time in the tanning vat, the type of skin and how it was prepared. The reason why black is so popular is for a couple of reasons. 1. It goes with anything. 2. You will find that black never clashes (unlike Green or Red). 3. It is quite flattering (black clothes have a slimming effect, black shoes make feet look smaller). Until about 1930, it would have been impossible to produce leather in a true black, it would have been either a very dark purple or an extremely dark brown. Sometimes the victorians overdyed green with red but unless this was done properly you would end up with either a reddish or greenish tint.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Until about 1930, it would have been impossible to produce leather in a true black, it would have been either a very dark purple or an extremely dark brown. Sometimes the victorians overdyed green with red but unless this was done properly you would end up with either a reddish or greenish tint.

Bring on the purple!

(Damn, there goes my secret identity!)

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Well, Bert, I'm African-American, and all my shoes are black, same for the bulk of my hosiery. Black, being a neutral color goes well with lots of other colors, and it doesn't stand out like lighter colors would, something fo a must for men who choose to wear heels in public. And, frankly speaking, black just looks plain sexy to me! :-)

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

When I used to work during the vacation, I tend to wear my black heels more often than my white heels. Probably it is because of the colour of my dresses, skirts and blouses. Besides, it is easier to match black heels with the rest of your attire as compared to white heels. As for any other colours, it is even more difficult.

Cheers,

Nata

Stellah, a question: How'd you get that gorgeous pic into the body of your message? I've been dying to do that but don't know how!

Did anyone mention black doesn't show the dirt? Well, it does show the dirt a bit, but not as much as white or beige. That's got to be a plus point. Jeff, to insert an image, look at the instructions above your reply posting box. For other uses of bulletin board code, consult the FAQ, or look at the tag buttton above your box.

.... I was also reading a book on colors. Each color has different meanings. Black froom what I remember is sort of mysterious and untouchable.

Just as Renee said earlier, colors do have certain meanings in many cultures. We all associate the color white with virginity and purity. That is why most wedding gowns are white. And the color yellow represents caution or cowardice. The color black not only represents mystery, but also something forbidden.

Black is also used to divert attention elsewhere. Yes, that is true. We have a natural tendency to notice and be attracted to lighter colors. I will wear dark clothing (either black or dark blue) when I don't want to stand out or attract attention. And that includes my high heels.

PJ

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

stellah; I have never seen a high heel shoe so shiney as in that picture you posted in here. It could pass a military inspection. PJ

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Stellah, a question: How'd you get that gorgeous pic into the body of your message? I've been dying to do that but don't know how!

JeffB;

Although I'm not stellah, I would like to help you. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here it goes.

Posted Image

One final point. If you don't like where the picture is located in your text, you can copy and paste the text anywhere in your message, or copy and paste the picture and place it anywhere in your message. To copy the picture, you need to select everything including the complete URL address and the IMG in front of it and the /IMG behind it.

Have fun.

PJ

Why Black? Because it embodies the best of everything! Goes with everything, can never violate the stocking rule (do not wear stockings that are darker than the shoes)...

Laurieheels,

You bring up a good point. Black shoes look great with any color of outfit. And I also prefer hosiery lighter color than my heels.

However, a few times, I have seen ladies wearing off-black hosiery with white high heels pumps. I find this attractive even though it breaks your rule.

PJ

Thanks for your help, PJ! I did get that to work! If you'll head over to the For the Guys section and click on "Reactions to your Heels", you can see the zipper pumps that got raves from my co-workers!

At present, all the heels that I wear in the office are black. I'm trying to branch out, at least to brown, but it's been hard so far because I like black so much. As for hosiery, I opt for off-black with my black and gray pants, and a dark tan with my olive and brown pants. Haven't brought myself to experiment with off-white. Perhaps next summer.

Black, especially matte, hides. People expect to see black shoes especially on men. Therefore, if you want to wear high-heels in the open, it SEEMS to be potentially less embarrassing, or you BELIEVE it will attract less attention. Whether this is actually true may be open to question, but in your inner psyche, you think it is, and that makes it easier to find the courage to try wearing heels in public. Also, traditionally, nearly everyone, even the wretchedly poor that might only be able to afford 1 or 2 pairs of shoes in a lifetime, had access to lampblack and lard, the original ingredients of "bootblack". It wasn't too difficult to impart a kingly blackish shine to a pair of roughout leather shoes, assuming some elbow grease was available, especially if you only wore them once a week to church.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I feel that it is the sensuality of the color black that drives the popularity of the color choice. Plus I think marketing has associated the color black in shoes, lingerie(stockings), and outer clothing (the miniskirt or dress, black leather) to be the choice of color for the "bad" girl and not the supposed color choice of the girl next door. I love being bad!

Black is definitely easier to hide things in, and for a man in heels, black wedges are quite subtle. So you'll often find me in black wedges. I'd love to wear some much spikier boots, and sometimes I do, but at the moment, it's black and only black. Plus I just love the look of black boots!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Black is certainly the easiest colour to carry off for everyday. But I have a great pair of 6" strappy sandals on 2" platforms in RED which generally get worn only for some of the more extreme clubbing. Looks fine with black or red especially if nail polish matches the shoes. Last worn to Torture Garden a couple of months back

Brown works just as well as black when they match the way you're dressed. I've never got much reaction from wearing my brown boots with 4½ blade heels with jeans or tan Dockers trousers.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Well, I've worn a lot of black patent at the office lately, i.e. my Payless "zipper pumps" and no one's batted an eyelash. If you haven't seen them, here's what they look like:

Posted Image

While black does present something of a low profile, black patent is an attention getter because of how shiny they are. It took a considerable amount of courage at first to wear patent shoes in public, now I do so at least twice a week because they're so, well----pretty! :-D

At present, I've decided to take a dare and give brown a try, just to see what it's like. And then perhaps, by next spring, I'm even get bolder and try white. Now THAT would be interesting!