Who has bought some new shoes

gj

Just ordered these heels today: http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/sale/women/pumps/72112749-waxler/22

They are the "Waxler" pump with a concealed platform by Aldo in the black leather, I cant wait to receive them! Has anyone else bought this shoe?

I've bought and sold maybe 5 pairs of Aldo's Atlantic City which look identical (proof attached). They run very small unless you have a few toes removed.

I just had to return a pair of Aldo's Fawson shoes. I bought a pair in size 40 really cheaply to give to my girlfriend on Valentines. I am either a 40 or 41 (girlfriend is a true 40) depending on which way the wind is blowing and they were pure agony. I got my girlfriend to try some on in the local Aldo shop and she found the sizing really strage. They were too big but really murdered her toes.

We both found the Atlantic Citys to be almost impossible to wear due to the pointy toes playing havoc with the sizing choice.

I agree they are a true classic style.

post-9545-133522900999_thumb.jpg

post-9545-133522901011_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info Benno it was very helpful! I had heard that the Atlantic City were an extra tight fit (always a problem with aldo shoes and boots) but that the Waxler were a bit "roomier". I guess i'll know soon enough but the size is a concern as you mentioned (i wear an 11US)...wish i had smaller feet - or they made shoes in a more standard/consistent sizing among all the makers.

... We both found the Atlantic Citys to be almost impossible to wear due to the pointy toes playing havoc with the sizing choice.

I agree they are a true classic style.

As a matter of interest, Benno, how do you define 'classic style'? This is not an issue of personal taste; I am simply curious as to your reasons for applying the 'classic' label to any particular style. (I do realise that you are too young to have seen stilettos, for example, when they first appeared.)

I find it difficult to accept any stiletto/platform combination as being 'classic' as it was rarely seen until the mid-1970s and has only become really popular in the last few years. Platform soles and stiletto heels were essentially separate fashion elements (and IMHO should remain so). A single-sole stilleto court shoe with a pointed toe is a true classic (mid 50s - mid 60s) and will never die, thank goodness!

These Lois courts from Schuh caught my eye the other day - a very elegant style in my view but not a true 'classic stiletto' because the 12cm heel is positioned too far to the rear (and so lacks a curved back) and the toe is not quite pointed enough. The shoe can be seen from all angles at http://www.schuh.co.uk/womens-black-schuh-lois-point-court-patent/1119087040/?cid=P700

post-1227-133522901013_thumb.jpg

As a matter of interest, Benno, how do you define 'classic style'? This is not an issue of personal taste; I am simply curious as to your reasons for applying the 'classic' label to any particular style. (I do realise that you are too young to have seen stilettos, for example, when they first appeared.)

Puffer thanks for the well thought out info on stiletto heels. I had never made the connection on the history of true stiletto heels before.The example in the pic you supplied is really nice (the same shoe sold in red by the web site is amazing).

Perhaps Benno's reference was to the shoe being an "instant" classic in the style for "concealed" platforms rather than as a pure "classic" example of a stiletto ?

Either way, both of you have been insightful and i appreciate the input very much. Thank you.

... Perhaps Benno's reference was to the shoe being an "instant" classic in the style for "concealed" platforms rather than as a pure "classic" example of a stiletto ? ...

Glad you found the comments of help. You may well be right in that the term 'classic' is often used to mean just 'important' or 'high quality' whereas it really carries the additional stamp of being traditionally accepted and long-established (i.e. not a new or recent development). The obvious question is then to determine how long something must be around before it can possibly become 'classic', whether a car, a piece of art or a shoe. But only Benno can tell us what was in his mind - and of course the shoe might be regarded as a true classic in years to come.

I have bought some new boots over the holidays and since I live in Canada they happen to be for winter. I needed some new winter boots for everyday walking that could take quite a beating and I found some at Victoria Secret. They are Sketchers size 10 with a 3 inch heel and a 1/4 inch platform. They are the most comfortable boots I have worn in quite sometime and are very warm and snow proof.:blinkbigeyes: Sorry just having hit send I relised I had forgot to add that I had just received a shipment from Zappos. I had ordered some Jessica Simpson Knee High boots with a 3 1/4" block heel. As my local grocery store is just accross the street from my condo I wore them to pick up a few things. They are beautiful and the clicking sound on the floor in the store is heaven. I love Jessica Simpson products and own quite a few as Zappos quite often has them on sale.

Glad you found the comments of help. You may well be right in that the term 'classic' is often used to mean just 'important' or 'high quality' whereas it really carries the additional stamp of being traditionally accepted and long-established (i.e. not a new or recent development). The obvious question is then to determine how long something must be around before it can possibly become 'classic', whether a car, a piece of art or a shoe. But only Benno can tell us what was in his mind - and of course the shoe might be regarded as a true classic in years to come.

Maybe I should have used 'future classic' to describe the pointy toe hidden platforms. I like that the toe looks like the bow of a ship. It adds something almost architectural to a humble shoe.

They have been around for quite a few years (Louboutin probably did it best) but only staggered onto the high street in the last couple. I still think that they will become a true classic as the style looks really good, adds height to the heel while still allowing movement and relative comfort. I do agree that the classic court, or pump, with a heel of at least 4 inches and an almond slightly pointed toe is deserving of the title of sexiest shoe ever. Thanks to Andre Perugia for elevating it to a deserving pedestal.

Thanks,

Ben

... I do agree that the classic court, or pump, with a heel of at least 4 inches and an almond slightly pointed toe is deserving of the title of sexiest shoe ever. Thanks to Andre Perugia for elevating it to a deserving pedestal.

Assuming a properly-shaped and positioned stiletto heel, I suspect that most here would agree with you, Benno - with the only point of contention being the degree of pointedness in the toe. The original mid/late 50s 'classic courts' were very much as you describe and the toes then got progressively more pointed from around 1959 - in my opinion a sexier-looking shoe but not necessarily as stylish as the (more wearable) almond toe and in no way diminishing the charm of the latter.

Regardless of any heel, the 'winklepicker' toe (on a male or female shoe) is another classic style in its own right; they were very widely seen in the 1959 - 65 period. But the most extreme pointed toes (as now sold by RoSa shoes), although having their own charm, were never that common (let alone universal) in the early 60s and could scarcely be regarded as 'classic', merely a variant.

They are Sketchers size 10 with a 3 inch heel and a 1/4 inch platform. They are the most comfortable boots I have worn in quite sometime and are very warm and snow proof.:blinkbigeyes:.

Greetings perry :-)

Would be nice if you could post a link or a picture ?

Certainly not the most reasonably priced boots, but i could not resist and ordered these on Sunday from an Ebay store in Italy named "helena-boutique"

http://cgi.ebay.de/HOT-BLACK-LADY-LEDER-EXTREME-STIEFEL-PUMPS-GR-44_W0QQitemZ370276964413QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKleidung_Accessoires_Schuhe_Damenschuhe?hash=item56363a183d

I usually prefer a more traditional covered heel on boots (dont care for the chrome metal finish typically used) but went for these anyways due to the black finish on the metal heels. Hopefully not too long for delivery from Italy. Contacted them today and delivery to the states is not a problem (at a "special" delivery rate). This store has some very beautiful Italian-made shoes and boots.Worth checking out their items just to see some really great designs.

PS: got the larger size 44 incase these run small like most italian made shoes.

Certainly not the most reasonably priced boots, but i could not resist and

ordered these on Sunday from an Ebay store in Italy named "helena-boutique"

Very nice boots indeed !

I see that you are OK spending the money for the boots you like.

The heels seems very high. Do you know how high they are ?

The heels seems very high. Do you know how high they are ?

danielp6406:

Yes they are 12 cm heels but i dont find that height too much to handle as most of my heels are around that or higher. The main issue with heels like these is the slenderness of the stiletto. If not solidly attached at the base they tend to send a "wobbily" sensation up the legs and kinda feel unstable- although i'm sure this maker has that issue under control or should for the ransom they are asking.

12cm translates to 4 3/4". Is it just me, or do the boots look much higher than that? If you haven't ordered them already, you might request the seller to retake the measurement, from the back of the heel of the boot to the ground. Definitely with the price of these boots, I don't think you want any surprises when they arrive.

12cm translates to 4 3/4". Is it just me, or do the boots look much higher than that? If you haven't ordered them already, you might request the seller to retake the measurement, from the back of the heel of the boot to the ground. Definitely with the price of these boots, I don't think you want any surprises when they arrive.

Good point , i emailed them this morning and the response was that they measure 12cm at the front of the stilettto (closer to the front not rear part of the heel). Moreover, they claim that the low camera angle used to photo the boots exagerates the actual height. Once again, i am not concerned about this height (even if they were 14cm) because i have become accustomed to walking in higher heels. To my eye, the beauty of these boots is really in the exquisite leather work and finish. thanks for the question though, got me thinking also.

Yes they are 12 cm heels...The main issue with heels like these is the slenderness of the stiletto.

If not solidly attached at the base they tend to send a "wobbily" sensation...

jsphcass :-)

Thanks for the heel height precision.

I guess such a slim and high heel must be made of steel (at least inside) in order not to "wobble".

Again, they are very nice boots. I hope you will let us know how they feel when you get them ?

(And you may want to attach some picture of you wearing them too !)

Happy heeling !

Wow from me too! Those are indeed awsome boots and the comments about heel height were well spotted. Just amazing. Now they are boots I could get into, but not at that price. When you are tired of them, !!!!!! let me know, I'll join the queue. Muddypaws

Wow from me too! Those are indeed awsome boots and the comments about heel height were well spotted. Just amazing. Now they are boots I could get into, but not at that price. When you are tired of them, !!!!!! let me know, I'll join the queue.

Muddypaws

Hi Muddypaws, i suspect i will be buried in these boots , so unless you have a good shovel....

Just ordered two pairs of Miami boots from Jean Gaborit today; one for my wife

and one for me. We had some e-mail exchanges about inlays and how to measure

and about colors and it all went very pleasantly. Ian is a very nice guy.

http://jean-gaborit.com/en/ARTICLE.ASP?ID='G0015'&POINTURE=00

Now the waiting starts....

Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.