Who has bought some new shoes

gj

21 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Fine with me. I have many, t-straps and slings too. Call me a femme shoe lover and wearer all you want, fine with me.

My comment was not a criticism of any man wearing shoes if an obviously feminine style - ankle strap or otherwise - and certainly not of you.   I was merely suggesting that an ankle strap is seemingly found only on feminine shoes, so marks them as such.   'High heels', slingbacks, t-straps etc are found on some styles (typically sandals) worn by or intended for men.   I would wear the latter, but not any ankle strap style.

Well I just got these eight inch beauties last month, every outing for the past few weeks has been in these. I didn’t think I could walk well in eight inch heels but it is a breeze! I get tons of compliments when I wear they, this one woman asked me multiple times if she could have lol. I swear wearing heels is so fun!

521C612A-5ECF-4AAB-9A45-1C85C6D342E6.jpeg

A3BDD9B2-DF62-4D66-8B91-390BF8FEB61C.jpeg

99E4E825-6DF2-4F76-A03C-88F6B46EF300.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6inchheel said:

Well I just got these eight inch beauties last month, every outing for the past few weeks has been in these. I didn’t think I could walk well in eight inch heels but it is a breeze! I get tons of compliments when I wear they, this one woman asked me multiple times if she could have lol. I swear wearing heels is so fun!

521C612A-5ECF-4AAB-9A45-1C85C6D342E6.jpeg

A3BDD9B2-DF62-4D66-8B91-390BF8FEB61C.jpeg

99E4E825-6DF2-4F76-A03C-88F6B46EF300.jpeg

Agree, it's fun. Not an 8 inch rise. Those look to be about 4 inch rise. Easy to walk in. Use plats like these to paint ceilings. Not a fan visually of thick platforms, just me though.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Agree, it's fun. Not an 8 inch rise. Those look to be about 4 inch rise. Easy to walk in. Use plats like these to paint ceilings. Not a fan visually of thick platforms, just me though.

These are definitely 8 inch rise on me. When I headed out I had to duck to avoid hitting my head on the door frame. That never happens even when I’m wearing 7inch heels. 

4 hours ago, 6inchheel said:

These are definitely 8 inch rise on me. When I headed out I had to duck to avoid hitting my head on the door frame. That never happens even when I’m wearing 7inch heels. 

You misunderstand.   The heel may be 8" but the (net) rise, after deducting the platform (4"?) is 4" or thereabouts.   
Sorry, but I don't like platforms and certainly feel that any platform of more than about 3/4" invariably makes any shoe look clumpy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 inch platforms are a little too much for me (unless I want to clean the top of my refrigerator), but I have plenty in the 2 inch range and a few higher. We all have different taste/styles and we are lucky that there is the variety for us out there.

And now to get most of the members here upset, I don't wear pumps.  😂

On another note, my new J LO OTK boots don't fit, so back they go. 🤨  And the search continues.

On 12/26/2022 at 11:41 AM, Puffer said:

You misunderstand.   The heel may be 8" but the (net) rise, after deducting the platform (4"?) is 4" or thereabouts.   
Sorry, but I don't like platforms and certainly feel that any platform of more than about 3/4" invariably makes any shoe look clumpy.

Okay, agree to disagree, platforms like these my not be for you but to me they are nice to wear. 

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Oh, good grief! This discussion has been going on since the Jenny days. And I'm sure well before the internet was a thing. We evidently are all true brothers here, because we seem to enjoy arguing a lot.

Agreed! We are on here because we enjoy wearing heels, whether they are 1 inch or 9 inch, platforms or no platforms, stilettos or wedges! Trying to knock the next person through condescending comments because of what they like is dumb 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 6inchheel said:

Okay, agree to disagree, platforms like these my not be for you but to me they are nice to wear. 

Agreed! We are on here because we enjoy wearing heels, whether they are 1 inch or 9 inch, platforms or no platforms, stilettos or wedges! Trying to knock the next person through condescending comments because of what they like is dumb 

I didn't get the idea that anybody was trying to knock you personally, but people do seem to have strong feelings about the platform thing, and always will.

Having said THAT, I could make a logical, unbiased, objective argument that extreme platforms kind of miss the point of wearing heels in the first place, at least aesthetically. All of the extra bulk sort of cancels out the visual lengthening of the legs. It's very difficult to walk normally in such shoes, and for some reason, they seem to be way more sensitive to small pebbles or twigs upon your literal path in life wanting to cause you to turn an ankle. That is what I think.

Evidently, there are a sizable number of people who either visualize the world completely differently from me, or use the qualities of thick platform shoes to advantages I didn't know they had. For example, it seems like every pole dancer who wears shoes (and many don't these days) has gone to a 4 inch platform with an 8 inch heel. I always wondered why, it seems like normal heels would be way more attractive. By the way, I'm talking about the competition/fitness kind of pole dancer, like you can see on Youtube or Instagram or such. After watching enough of these videos, I began to realize that the way in which they use these extreme shoes actually lengthens their line and actually provides mass at the end of a lever to accomplish a certain style of visual art. None of it really involves normal walking, though.

Another area is fitness competitions, or even body building competitions. Platforms everywhere. Not super extreme ones, but plats nonetheless. And finally, here's the kicker: Every beauty pageant contestant in pretty much the whole of southeast Asia wears sandals with enormous platforms. It's like a de facto uniform. And some of them seem to be able to walk quite well in them. So somebody, perhaps numbering in the millions of people, must think that this style of shoe somehow accentuates the positive. I am proven wrong that I can somehow be objective about my own feelings.

It still doesn't mean I have to be dishonest and say "Oh I love those shoes," because I don't. But I'm glad you like them, you're the one who bought them, you're the one who is wearing them. But do be careful walking through doorways!

• Like 2

Being of some advanced years I remember pole dancers, the kind you are thinking of, wore classic single sole pumps. I really miss those days, they looked so much better.

Back in what seems to be the mid 90's this changed to platforms. I asked one dancer once why. She told me the shoes were just sturdier and lasted longer. Shoes were expensive and money was tight so it made since. None of them wore their work shoes afterwards, some switched  to single sole pumps while most changed to sneakers.

Platforms at the time were considered stripper shoes until the 2000's just as 5 in single soled heels were in the 80's. If this were 1985 I would have 200 plus pair of stripper heels. These days I wear them publicly with no issues when in 1985 even women would have been ridiculed.

My visuals go back to the early Seventies when platforms were in vogue even in men’s shoes and while I never cared for platforms - I disliked the clumpy aesthetic - the fact they were available in the men’s department had a curious influence on my boyhood thinking. At the time I really fancied the white go-go boots that were all the rage amongst the girls in my class, particularly one who I fancied. Although I never saw any boys in white go-go boots, the fact that you could get quite flamboyant platforms in men’s styles and that gender lines seemed to be blurring, led me to imagine that I could realistically aspire to white go-go boots which, by comparison, seemed rather restrained and, to my eyes, elegant.

I nearly asked for a pair of go-go boots, but something tipped me off and I didn’t although I was mortified to think I’d been fancying girls boots. The fact that I could get these flamboyant but clumpy platforms, but not the more graceful go-go boots struck me as unfair and raised questions in my mind. I never did warm to platforms but happily I now have a nice collection of single-sole knee boots - which increased by one last week with the addition of a pair of very soft chocolate-brown knee boots with three-inch slender block heels

Ah - Yes

Haven't been around much lately, but the same debate lingers on. Single sole vs Platforms.

I like both. Most of my boots I wear out in public are single sole, but if I can, I like a bit of platform. 3/8" to 1/2" is good. Prefer not to feel every pebble I step on, and I step on a lot of them.

I usually have a platform at the house, especially in the kitchen. Wife is short, so I wear my "Elevators" to reach the items on the top shelf of the kitchen cabinets since they are taller than most cabinets. Beyond that, I usually find they are sturdier and often more stable.

Now - for the New Shoe's catagory - - After reading about how comfortable the Jessica Simpson Dany heels were, and I don't have a T-strap heel, I decided to splurge a bit and get a pair. Was going for the black leather model, but I'm a bit of a cheap scape and opted for the tan suede model on sale. I usually never oder heels, but I've had such good luck with fit that I opted to do so. Fit perfect although I don't have any mileage on them, but we will see.

41Qn-SQyleL._SS142_.jpg

Beyond that, I've been watching the thrift stores for Red Patent heels for a special event, and have only found a couple pairs of single sole. Guess and Jessica Simpson. Both brands have almost always fit well for me.

I believe that the heels we wear are likely very similar to the high heels that first drew our fascination. For me it was a pair of black patent pointy toe pumps with a high stiletto heel (towering to me at the time) and the had a delicate silk bow attached to the toe. They fit me perfectly but I only ever got to wear them once... I was hooked.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2022 at 12:23 PM, mlroseplant said:

Oh, good grief! This discussion has been going on since the Jenny days. And I'm sure well before the internet was a thing. We evidently are all true brothers here, because we seem to enjoy arguing a lot.

This is what geeks do, and I consider us high heel geeks in this regard. Who was the better captain, Kirk vs Picard (Kirk has won that handsomely now), who would win in a fight, the USS Enterprise vs. an Imperial Star Destroyer, the debates were endless. Geeks will endlessly split hair. Because we care and because we live to split hair on our favorite subjects. If we didn't then it would be a sign of us no longer giving a damn. So long may the endless single sole vs. platform debate continue! And yes, platforms look clunky and fugly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chorlini said:

who would win in a fight, the USS Enterprise vs. an Imperial Star Destroyer

OK, the geek is on.

For all its imagery, Star Wars was a joke. Every weapon is manually aimed like a world War 2 anti aircraft gun. Oh, don't get me started on laser guns that recoil or putting all your ships in a line and using broadside cannons. Or how about dropping racks bombs over a target in a gravity free environment. 

I would not say that style preferences - platforms vs single soles - is geeky at all, but a fairly broad style debate. This is after all a fashion website, and matters of style, colour, ornamentation are part of the discussion. 

Geeky, to my mind, is when you start doing things such as measuring the width of your heel to debate how many millimetres wide is a “true stiletto” instead of merely a high heel, and start splitting hairs and getting into verbal semantics. 

I’ve of late not been posting, mostly lurking and enjoying reading. But I gotta say - there seems to me to be ample geeks and geekiness around these boards! Takes one to know one - (retired) electrical engineer here 🙂

20 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I would not say that style preferences - platforms vs single soles - is geeky at all, but a fairly broad style debate. This is after all a fashion website, and matters of style, colour, ornamentation are part of the discussion. 

Geeky, to my mind, is when you start doing things such as measuring the width of your heel to debate how many millimetres wide is a “true stiletto” instead of merely a high heel, and start splitting hairs and getting into verbal semantics. 

Let's not forget the detail of "with a caliper."

23 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

OK, the geek is on.

For all its imagery, Star Wars was a joke. Every weapon is manually aimed like a world War 2 anti aircraft gun. Oh, don't get me started on laser guns that recoil or putting all your ships in a line and using broadside cannons. Or how about dropping racks bombs over a target in a gravity free environment. 

Well, Star Wars was after all WW2 in space. Star Trek on the other hand was Horatio Hornblower in space, with lone Starships duking it out at close range like 18th century sailing ships. And the great Star Wars vs. Star Trek debate was settled decades ago. When Episode 2 got released and with it came a little book called Incredible Cross Sections. Before geeks spent endless ages debating the range and power of weapons in both settings. ICS settled that debate once and for all when it stated that the output of a turbo laser gun was 200 gigaton. Game over for Star Trek. I was on the Spacebattles forum at that time. Before we used have endless debates about the subject, after ICS came out it trickled to almost nothing.

Ironically, since Disney discarded the book EU after the great Catastrophy, it buying Star Wars, I wonder if that means that ICS is now also out of the door. Not that it matters much, both fandoms have seriously declined due to shitty new content.

22 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Geekiness expesses itself in many ways. And in our particular geekdom single sole vs. platforms is the Great Debate. Great debates are rarely about splitting hairs like range of transporters or the Jefferies tube system of the Enterprise, they are Star Trek vs Star Wars.

Embrace your inner geek! I dare say high heel geek fits you better then some of the epitaphs people will give you.

On 12/26/2022 at 11:41 AM, Puffer said:

No I understand quite clearly, maybe what you stated only makes sense to you but i wore them and took one boot off, I took a ruler to the bottom foot that didn’t have a boot and what do you know a whole 8 inches off the ground. All that stuff about deducting the platform doesn’t make any sense but agree to disagree agree, we all on here with one thing in common, we like wearing heels. Whether they are 1 inch or 10 inches, platforms or single sole stilettos.

1 hour ago, 6inchheel said:

No I understand quite clearly, maybe what you stated only makes sense to you but i wore them and took one boot off, I took a ruler to the bottom foot that didn’t have a boot and what do you know a whole 8 inches off the ground. All that stuff about deducting the platform doesn’t make any sense but agree to disagree agree, we all on here with one thing in common, we like wearing heels. Whether they are 1 inch or 10 inches, platforms or single sole stilettos.

Yes, the boot raises you above the ground by 8".   We all accept that.   But the effect of your 'high heel' is a rise of around 4" only because of the platform sole.   If (with your boots on), you stood on a piece of wood 2" thick, you would now be 10" off the ground - but your heel rise would still only be a modest 4".

There is no need for further debate, let alone disharmony.   You like what you have - good.   But such an extreme platform style is not for everyone.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Puffer said:

Yes, the boot raises you above the ground by 8".   We all accept that.   But the effect of your 'high heel' is a rise of around 4" only because of the platform sole.   If (with your boots on), you stood on a piece of wood 2" thick, you would now be 10" off the ground - but your heel rise would still only be a modest 4".

There is no need for further debate, let alone disharmony.   You like what you have - good.   But such an extreme platform style is not for everyone.

While we're still on this, another way of saying it is "steepness." In other words, the angle of your foot when wearing the shoes. So, the angle of your foot when wearing 8" heels with a 4" platform is the same as if you were wearing  4" heels with no platform.

Fun fact--a 4" heel does not make you 4 inches taller, due to the dangle of the angle, and it depends upon individual foot measurements. However, a 4" platform gives you the full 4" of increase in height, no trigonometry necessary!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So my latest challenge to myself is to wear tight jeans with pumps, as I really like the look. Have previously worn a pair of black jeans and black 5" stiletto pumps, matt black non-leather, a combination I think looks fantastic. I also have a pair of 4" heels, which are leather, and they're super comfortable, but they have a small platform, and are more office-style than elegant. Been complimented when wearing either one! I've been on the lookout for some very elegant, **leather**, black pumps. But have so many heels that I didn't want to spend a lot...

Was at a department store a few days ago, just browsing around, lots of clearance stuff. Checked out the shoes, not expecting to find anything, as it's a pretty lame dept store otherwise. But my eyes caught one (and only one! how sad) shoe with ~4" heels. It was a very attractive looking pair of pumps, black, leather. These ones specifically:

https://www.stevemadden.ca/products/vala-black-leather

Not sure why that store sells shoes from all sorts of different brands, but whatever. Clearance, ~$90, plus 30% discount. Awesome! But only had like 2 sizes, nowhere near close to what I need. Disappointing.

The shoes looked so gorgeous, couldn't get them out of my mind, but didn't want to pay the full $125 (from the link above).

A few days later, visited another store from the same chain, hoping, maybe. Found the heels, but not in my size. :(  On my way home, drove by another store from that chain, and after some searching found the shoes, those shoes, and they had 1 pair in my size! Quickly tried them on, perfect fit, and bought them... Was ~$70 all in. Probably my most expensive purchase in a long time, but it's exactly what I was looking for. 4.5" heel, matt black leather, pumps. So am happy! Won't have a chance to try them outside for quite a while though.

Edited by hiddenheels
  • Like 2