Who has bought some new shoes

gj

My latest pair of sandals is somewhat unusual for me for a couple of reasons. Number one, they are not mules, which I usually prefer, and number two, I paid quite a bit more than I am usually willing to pay.

I regularly browse ebay, usually looking for certain things (like more mules or clogs), but every once in a while something just catches my eye. When I saw these Alaïa sandals, I knew I had to have them. Thick straps, just the right tan color, high but not too high wooden heel, and just a look of quality about them. However, I then noticed they were Alaïa, so I was afraid to look at the price. I think they initially wanted 175 USD for them. Not too bad, but after getting my Jimmy Choo pumps and being somewhat disappointed with them, I wasn't going to pay nearly 200 bucks with shipping for just a whimsical feeling. However, I did put them on my watch list, and there they sat for several months, being listed and re-listed without selling. Finally, they dropped the price down to 110 USD, and at that point I offered them 85. They let them go for 96 USD plus shipping, which as I recall was about 15.

I surely shouldn't have done that, but it was a months-long process, and I thought they could be a rather practical addition to my collection. And the fact is, I just really liked them. They spoke to me. A few days later, the reason why shipping was 15 smackers became obvious. They came in the bulkiest, fanciest shoebox that I've ever seen in my life. I don't know if the box is covered in actual leather (I think it's imitation), but the little belt that holds the thing shut is real leather. Affixed to the box is a tag that reads "Barneys New York, Size 8 1/2, $975.00." JESUS, I thought to myself, I've hit the Big Time here. And then, a second later, who the f*%& would pay a thousand dollars for a pair of sandals? And then not wear them?

Anyhow, on to the particulars: 4 1/2" heel, a sort of tiny platform, but it's not really a platform, just a very thick leather sole, of the thickness you'd find on a men's dress shoe. It's arranged in such a way that there is about 4 1/4" of effective difference between ball of foot and heel. The heel itself I have no idea what to call. It's not really a block heel, not a cone heel, just a tapering, wooden heel that slims down to about 7/8" by the time it reaches the ground. Super nice. Now for the bad news: They're a little tight. However, I still have hope because they are real, thick leather straps and they didn't even have any signs of toe prints on the insoles, and hardly a mark on the heels, just a little scuffing on the leather sole. They look like they were worn once or twice to some sort of special event. Therefore, I have every confidence that they will stretch a bit over time. I will not be using the Steve Method to stretch these (wearing them in the shower). I'll just have to be patient and disciplined and wear them for very short periods of time frequently.

Alaiaside.PNG

Alaiatop.PNG

Alaiabox.PNG

• Like 6

Nice sandals, once they are stretched enough you're going to love them. I like heels like that because I stand for 4 - 5 hours at a time, (see today heels). Get yourself some shoe stretchers (high heel type) and slowly stretch them.

They might have been a display model that they couldn't sell in a clearance.

Edited by Cali

Went shoe shopping yesterday to Marmi Shoes, my favorite shoe store.  This spring they came out with a style of sandal called Maysa, by VanEli that I really liked.  The shoes were a bit pricy (but excellent quality) so I held off on a purchase - even tho I was tempted!  This week they went on sale, so I put on my gals jeans, a pair of two inch heeled slip on sandals (an earlier Marmi purchase) and went shopping.  I have been at this Marmi store before and have been treated very well.   When I walked in the door I was greeted by two very nice ladies, one whom I had spoken with on the phone last week.  She went and got the sandals, I was not sure if I would be a size 11 or 12 - they had both - great.  The 12 fit perfectly, and I had to decide the color, black or brown.  I almost got the brown but stayed with "basic" black.  Three other female customers were also shopping in the store at the same time and did not seem to care.  One of the ladies did look at me and said "cute shoes."  

Really love the sandals, they are a slip on toe loop style with a 2, maybe 2 1/2 inch block heel that is very walkable and looks great.  The upper is soft leather that holds my foot securely, no flapping sounds.  The sole is leather too, for good traction.  

The Marmi staff is wonderful as well.  The lady assisting me was patient and helpful, offering sound advice.  I tried on several sizes and colors, she said she wanted me to be happy with my purchase.  I am.  

Here is a picture of the sandals, I will post a pic of me wearing them at a later time.....   have fun.....   sf  

PS  Marmi has most of their shoes up to size 13 in varying widths.  They have a nice variety and are well made.  Check them out.  

43059070000.jpg

• Like 6

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

On 6/25/2019 at 9:48 AM, SF said:

Really love the sandals, they are a slip on toe loop style with a 2, maybe 2 1/2 inch block heel that is very walkable and looks great.  The upper is soft leather that holds my foot securely, no flapping sounds. 

No flapping sounds? That's no good! I've rejected shoes because they don't make that sound. Actually, no, I haven't, just kidding. But it's always a bonus if a shoe sounds nice in addition to looking nice. With a soft soled shoe, I find the flapping sound neutral to annoying, but with heels? There is no happier sound on earth. Flap-click...flap-click...flap-click...!

Mlrose...  Well, maybe there is a little bit of flapping sound...  ha ha...   I have another similar pair of VanEli sandals (pic below) with a kitten heel that makes a LOT of noise, not so much of a flapping sound, but the heel clicks are very noticeable.  And I kinda like it...  smile....     have fun...  sf

IMG_6518.jpg

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

After some early grocery shopping this morning I stopped at a garage sale on the way home while wearing these older shoes.

IMG_0891.jpg

I then got lucky and bought three new to me heels shown. I expect the young 20's lady knew I was buying her shoes for myself. They all fit great.

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

• Like 6

On 6/29/2019 at 4:21 PM, Jkrenzer said:

After some early grocery shopping this morning I stopped at a garage sale on the way home while wearing these older shoes.

IMG_0891.jpg

I then got lucky and bought three new to me heels shown. I expect the young 20's lady knew I was buying her shoes for myself. They all fit great.

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

Some really nice shoes there mate and look really good on too 

My last pair I tried to purchase from Express sold out before I got them...waited too long.

But I just bought these Jessica Simpson Dany Platform Sandals. Should get them next week, I sure hope they fit. Went up to a size 11 since JS's tend to have a small toe box. I know too chunky for some of you - but these are heels I wear and wear and wear; 6 inch heel, 2 inch platform.

dany01HH.jpg

Edited by Cali
  • Like 5

Cali,

I thought of you when I saw the JS "Dany" sandals both on the Macys website as well as on the zappos website. This is a relaunch of the same shoe which sold so well back in 2012 and 2013 I believe. I managed to get the "Dany" in cognac. Despite the height that sandal really was comfortable. I have never experienced a small toebox with JS sandals. The ones in my avatar are JS sandals as well. I know you'll like them. HinH

I bought these of Ebay the other day. With the warmer weather I needed a pair of summer pumps! I was wearing them while watching TV when my wife first saw them. She loved them and was disappointed when she couldn't get a pair in her size!

summer heels.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/29/2019 at 10:21 AM, Jkrenzer said:

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

How fortunate to find nice heels in your size at a garage sale 

1 hour ago, Pumped said:

I bought these of Ebay the other day. With the warmer weather I needed a pair of summer pumps! I was wearing them while watching TV when my wife first saw them. She loved them and was disappointed when she couldn't get a pair in her size!

summer heels.jpg

Since your wife is THAT cool I would search the net for some really colourful pumps in her size so you could surprise her. I think you could find something in fairly fast order. You two will then have some real eye candy to watch tv during those famously long North Dakota winters. 8) HinH

22 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Since your wife is THAT cool I would search the net for some really colourful pumps in her size so you could surprise her. I think you could find something in fairly fast order. You two will then have some real eye candy to watch tv during those famously long North Dakota winters. 8) HinH

I buy her heels from time to time. She comments that she can't wear them like she used to so she tells me not to buy her heels any longer, but I still do.

Well my Jessica Simpson came in today and I had an adventure when I picked them up.

I'm normally a size 10 but I got a size 11 hoping I could get my toebox into them. I've tried JS's in store and thought their toebox was too small for me.

As you can see below I tried them on. They are gorgeous quality shoes, BUT they just don't fit. The left foot is fine but that stubborn right foot is just too wide for it.  They must go back !   ;(

You never really know until you try. Sometimes they fit - sometimes they don't, but one thing is certain, there are many more to try.

DanyOnH.JPG

• Like 1

Cali,

Since it's your right foot I have two questions BEFORE you return them. Could you have a callous on the side of your big toe which could be removed by soaking and giving your feet some treatment?  I can't remember if you go for regular pedicures or not. My other suggestion is to stretch them with a shoe stretcher. I bought one some years ago and can report they do work. You can stretch shoes a number of ways. 1- Simply insert the stretcher and let it stay inside the shoe vamp for about 12 hours or so. 2- Moisten the shoe vamp, insert the shoe stretcher and leave for 12-18 hours. 3- Moisten the shoe vamp, insert the shoe stretcher, and freeze it leaving the shoe overnight in the freezer. I've tried all three methods and all three worked for me. Shoe stretchers will NOT reduce the shoe a full size but have been shown to reduce by bout 1/2 size which is normally enough to make the difference. I chased this particular shoe style down a while before I found it so I'd rather see you try something before you return it. If you try method#1 it will show no signs of it if you had to return them. HappyinHeels