Gap between Heel and Shoe

johnieheel

I'm sorry. This isn't what I mean. I'm refering to shoes that do not fit properly.

I agree ! !

You often see this in advertisements. Obviously they could not find the correct size for the model.

Also what I don't like seeing are slingbacks, where the heel is hanging off the back of the shoe.

Find the Correct Size ! !

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

I agree ! !

You often see this in advertisements. Obviously they could not find the correct size for the model.

Also what I don't like seeing are slingbacks, where the heel is hanging off the back of the shoe.

How true. I think that looks discusting!

real men wear heels

• 1 month later...

Overhanging toes are disgusting for sure! A space between the back of the foot and the back of the shoe is only found in advertising pictures showing women models as nobody can walk decently with a high heel pump like this. I also find of extreme bad taste the feet that do not match the curvature of a high heel open sandal, letting a visible air space between the foot and the sole. I see a lot of women in this category in the streets. As to slingbacks, sometimes we have to accept a little "back overhanging" since this kind of women shoes, which can be found in maximum size 11 US in some shoestores (at least in Rio de Janeiro), are the only ones which can "fit" a male foot size 12 US.

Sometimes with sandals the gap at the back is accompanied by toes overhanging the front. This is because the foot is often too narrow (or the sandal too wide). One remedy that I often do is to use double sided tape on the heel to stop the foot sliding forward and you can use a insole too...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Dr. Shoe is right on. I have a very narrow heel and sometimes when the heels are high enough, I slide forward causing the toes to slip off the front. However, when this happens I "retire" those sandals because it simply is uncomfortable as well as distasteful. Also, the gap between the heel and the back of the shoe is unsightly. Again with narrow heels, if I do not choose the proper fit that gap will rub the worst blisters on my heel, which leads to band-aids, and so many other tacky things. Choosing the right fit is vital. This is why I do the opposite of what you are supposed to do when buying shoes. I do it early in the day before my feet have swollen. I they are a bit loose then I know when they swell after a few hours of walking, they will fit properly. Along these lines, I saw a very cute girl today wearing a pair of flat open-toe pumps. I have noticed her before in the same place and she often wear very stylish heels as well. She was setting with her legs crossed at the knees dangling a one shoe off her toes. I just thought she was being flirty or trying to be sexy or something. A couple of hours later I saw her walking across the parking lot and the shoes were so ill-fitting that the responded like flip-flops a she waked. My thought was 'what a shame poor fitting shoes ruined her casual, yet polished look.'

Style is built from the ground up!

Guest Loveshiheels

I do also dislike gaps between the heel and the back of the shoe. That one reason why I am selling these shoes in the photo. I Think I have wide feet so I think I need to buy a size larger but then my feet side down which makes that gap at the back bigger. I don,t know what size I sould be buying

There's one of the girls in my previous job who often used to wear a beautiful pair of black leather courts which appeared to be a good size too big. The other major turn off there was a lass who always wore boots that looked fit for the bin. We're talking ragged toes, missing heel tips with worn shanks and peeling leather, the lot. She used to dress quite nicely apart from the state of her shoes, and I remember thinking that if I was her boss I'd be quietly asking her if she thought they were fit to wear to work. She had a couple of pairs and they were both in a right state.

• 10 months later...

I personally love a big gap between the back of the heel and the shoe. I love high heels popping off feet when walking and for some reason I find it sexy to see a high heel a bit too big and loose when walking. I love slings slipping too. There are photos of numerous celebrities at events wearing pumps that are way too big for them. I love this and you can see them popping inand out of their heels but you do wonder why they wear heels that are too big seeing they are going to be photographed over and over again on the red carpet.

I personally love a big gap between the back of the heel and the shoe. I love high heels popping off feet when walking and for some reason I find it sexy to see a high heel a bit too big and loose when walking. I love slings slipping too. There are photos of numerous celebrities at events wearing pumps that are way too big for them. I love this and you can see them popping inand out of their heels but you do wonder why they wear heels that are too big seeing they are going to be photographed over and over again on the red carpet.

I feel much the same. I once bought an oversize pair of open-back clogs; just because I liked a little bit of open space back there.

I agree ! !

I agree with beoth of you but especially on the slingbacks. Watching the heel wobble back and forth across the back of the high heel is not a pleasent sight.

Bad fitting shoes just make the person look sloppy or careless. If you're going to go to that extra effort to wear high heels around, why not make sure they fit properly so you look your best? I was at a Toyota dealership just a few weeks ago. There were plenty of nicely dressed young ladies there, of course, most of whom were wearing classy flats or lower heels, 2 1/2" max. One girl, however, immediately got my attention. She had on a pair of 4" open-toed slingback black patent pumps, with a 1/2" or so platform. Even though she was in a business environment, she was really made these shoes work. Then she had to walk across a long room, and it was obvious they were at LEAST one size too big. The slingback didn't even touch her heel as she was walking, and it was just floating in mid air. To make matters worse, because shoe didn't have a snug fit, she had a little trouble walking in them, which made her look clumsy. She looked fantastic, but it all fell apart because the shoes were too big. I actually have two pairs of size 12 pointy-toed 4" stilettos that were a good price. It was at a time when I didn't try shoes on in the store, so I just bought them and took them home. Both pairs have that "gap" at the back... and I can hardly walk in these 4" heels because of that stupid gap. I plan on selling them here eventually, I'm sure someone can get some good use out of them. I think that experience was what led me to find out that I was a size 11 in most shoes (size 12 in Pleaser though, go figure).

I know what you mean about lookingt clumsy in them, however there are many women who can handle these heels really well and walk with that sexy strut even though their heels are popping off or the slingbacks slipping, this is so sexy. I love seeing women walking confidently in their heels that aren't staying on, and its a bit naughty as well which adds to the sexiness.

Slingfan - Perhaps some women can pull it off, but she was having a hard time walking in them and her stride was just clumsy looking. Nothing sexy about it. This was NOT a confident walk - it was clearly a "I'm walking because I chose to wear these shoes today and I have to walk in them because I didn't bring a back-up" kind of walk. Walking for necessity. I mean, maybe you would think think this was sexy, but I think that a woman that can handle her shoes is sexier than a woman who can't - it seems that we are on the same page regarding this matter. She couldn't handle her shoes, plain and simple. But, if seeing this girl would have made your boat float, so be it - to each their own.

Maybe it's just me, but high heels are the shoes that are made to be seen as they reposition the wearer's feet in a becoming pose. They're designed, styled, and made with materials that present the wearer with a pair of mobile pedestals. They must fit properly and look like they are the perfect extention to the wearer's outward appearance like any coordinated outfit. The heel of the foot should continue the contoured styling of the heels and one's toes should never extend any further over or out of the toebox area, whether in sandals or any open toed shoes. The wearer's feet have to look like they fully belong in that space and the feet can't look like they has been wedged or banded into the shoes either. As a matter of personal choice, I am most comfortable in pumps that fit snugly, but not tight. It drives me up a wall when the back of my court shoes are loose and flop off and on as I walk. This also tends to make me unsure of how the stilettoes are going to contact the surface that I am walking on. Falling is embarrassing on it's own, but to do it in heels is beyond the normal stage, especially for this social atmosphere.

It has been my experience that after purchasing a pair of heels you love but are ill fitting or floppy, in the case that they were out of the correct size but purchased anyway -- there is an easy solution. They sell an accessory that I believe is called grippers. They are strips that have a glue on the backside and are inserted on the inside of the heel. they grab the heel of the foot and effectively stop the shoe from flopping off. They are unseen but don't seem to leave a gap to the naked eye. They work well with all heights of pumps, but I have no bright ideas about slingbacks or open toed shoes. Hope this helps someone.

Good advice, especially considering those of us on this message board have to "settle" for sizes on occasion. I don't do it very often, but I'm still guilty. In my "Amazing Heel Buying Experience" post I mentioned a pair of 5.5" Pleaser heels. They're wonderful, because I can walk in them and they're very high without being ridiculously fetishy... but the right shee is just TOO tight, plain and simple. Any shoe where your toes are CRUSHED together is just not good. I take a 12 in Pleaser, yet I paid $35 for them because they were leather and awesome looking. I dunno, I might have to sell them. I also saw these inserts somewhere that look like gel or something... and they allow the arch of your foot to maintain contact with the shoe so you can wear heels longer and more comfortably. Why don't they just MAKE the damn shoes like this? It doesn't make any sense to have a gap between the ball of the foot and the heel, especially if you're putting extra pressure on the ball and toes due to ANY type of heel (even 2" heels put a large amount of pressure up there!) Anyway, I deviated just a little bit. Can someone chime in with the name of those arch inserts? I think they start with an "I".

I totally agree with all of the comments expressed here. I won't buy a pair of heeled shoes or boots that don't fit properly and passed many up through the years even though I dearly wanted them in the worst way. If fit properly I can, and have, worn heeled shoes or boots many times as long as 18 hours a day comfortably and didn't even want to take them off then except that I don't ever sleep in them. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!