Two Years In Public And Counting

JeffB

It was two years ago today that I told a bold, but fearful step into the unknown when I wore heels at the office for the very first time. I remember how incredibly nervous I had been when I showed up wearing a pair of Payless stack heeled loafers, wondering if I was a fool for doing something like that. It had been something I was anxious, and eager to do for quite some time, but hadn't gotten up the nerve to actually do it until that very morning. My mind spun all sorts of nightmarish scenarios once co-workers saw me in those shoes. I envisioned being laughed at, given looks of shock, or worse, revulsion, I even thought I could face some sort of censure for violating the office dress code. But, despite all those fears, both real and imagined, I went ahead and stayed the course. When my co-workers saw my shoes, much to my surprise, they all said they looked very nice, saying they looked stylish. My immediate supervisor asked if those were a new style of men's shoes. I just nodded, praise was the absolute LAST thing I expected, so I didn't quite know how to respond. But, over time, I can to appreciate the kind words I had gotten from co-workers. And so, my personal odyssey was launched that day. From there, I evolved from those loafers to boots, and finally, after a year when my confidence at being seen in public wearing women's shoes reached it's peak, I took the boldest step of all and began wearing pumps. By then, practically everyone in the office pretty much knew I was wearing women's shoes, so I suppose they probably expected to eventually see me in pumps. During that time, I also went from wearing plain old socks with my heels to knee high stockings, then, from there, full blown pantyhose which is now part of my daily attire. After two whole years, I've never heard one negative word from any of my co-workers regarding the shoes I choose to wear. if anything, I'm highly compilmented on my shoes as people tell me I show considerable style in my footwear. Since I started wearing heels, I also began dressing much better than I had as I wanted my clothes to look as stylish as the shoes I wear. In a way, that's gone to help me enjoy my work experience all the more. Since I've become part of this message board, folks here have called me an inspiration, a pioneer since I took the bold move to wearing high heels into an office environment. I don't know if I'm worthy of such praise, I'm just doing what feels right to me, what feels natural in my life. Still, I'm glad folks here took cues from me and gone forth in public in heels, safe and secure in the knowledge that someone like me had already blazed the trail which others have followed. Two years and counting. I'm having the time of my life, and can't wait to see what the future has in store for me.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Way to go, Jeff! There are probably lots of guys here who want to follow your footsteps. Can you describe your office environment? How many people are there and how much do you move around? How many female workers wear heels there?

HH forever!

JeffB; I admire your courage and attitude about this. Although you addressed the issue about people's comments, I would like to know if anyone treats you any differently as a result ? Also, has anyone admitted a secret desire to follow in your footsteps and only lack the courage to do so? PJ

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! I appreciate that greatly. As for the place where I work, it's a rather large office complex stretched out on four different floors employing close to say, 200 people, and, I'd say that 95 percent of the personnel there are female. Since we don't deal with the public directly (the function of our facility is to process resumes for people wanting to obtain federal jobs), the dress code isn't overly strict, meaning suits for the men and dresses for the women. Speaking of the women, not many bother to wear heels, I'd say, maybe 10 to 15 percent. During the course of the day, I do get around some, so a goodly number of people do see me in my heels, as to whether or not I've been treated differently since I started wearing heels, I honestly have to say that hasn't been the case, everyone still gets along with me, so my shoes hasn't been an issue, save for all the compliments I've gotten about same. Hopefully, folks here on the board will take a cue from my exploits and take their own bold steps out into public in heels as well! :-D

Yep! The first day at the office in pumps was indeed nerve wracking! The loafers and square toed boots didn't raise much in the way of eyebrows because of the mannish look to them, but the pumps were an entirely different story altogether! However, none of my co-workers were horrified, outraged or laughed me out of the building, they thought the shoes were cool and were amazed at how I could walk so easily in them. In nothing flat, the compliments started coming, and that made me feel so much better. Now I wear pumps at the office EVERY day, and no one so much as gives me a second look! Everyone has seen how I look in them, having paired my shoes with nice clothes and they saw I look nice from head to toe. And the adventure continues! :-D

Well done for taking the plunge. Don't know how well it would work in my situation - small company, one coffee room and everyone notices (nearly) everything. That said I have been wearing girls shoes for six months now, but I am cheating. They are a pair of Kangaroos lace wedges with a 2 inch heel and could have come from either "side" of the shop. My other pair is a pair of 2" boots with some buckle detail on that. Once everyone is acclimatised it will be time to move up - 3" next? I'm still at that anxious and eager stage so it won't be long now. Was going to do something outrageous for the Jeans4genes day but the atmosphere wasn't right... B-booted

That's not cheating. Besides, who cares. They're girls shoes, aren't they? That's the way it all begins. From Ann Taylor penny loafers with 2" heels on to Ankle Boots with 4½" blade heels. It is, as Jeff says, "one step at a time" :smile:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

We all have to start somewhere, folks, regardless of style or heel height. The important thing is to get out there and just do it. As long as you feel confident about yourself and what you're doing, you can pull it off. Not that I'm an expert in these matters, but I like to think I have enough experience in the realm of public heel wearing to know a little about this! :smile: