Do you play a musical instrument?

Renee

1.Now or in past (high school)? 2.If so what gear? (brand model etc...) 3.What style music? 4. What instrament whould like to learn to play? 1.I try guitar. 2. Les Paul and a Stratacaster and a couple of cheper guitars and a coupleof small tube amps. 3. Blues, Rock, Metal ("poodle rock" for Europeans and for American "hairbands" of 80s <Def Leppard>) 4. Celtic harp- more simple than what in America we call a "classical harp". Thanks, Renee "Yes that is my real legal name and I picked it out. YIPPIE!" Edit: Spelling in title, FF.

1) I play no instruments. But while I am playing quitar I am not SO BAD! :smile: . Not lead quitar. 2) One eletric quitar (Ibanez) and one over 30 years old acoustic quitar. I'd like to have 12 string acoustic quitar. 3) Easy to play music from Mike Oldfield to G&R and Bon Jovi, CCR, Metallica "nothing else matters" and finnish pop groups. Whatever is easy to play straight while listening cd's and radio broadcast. 4) definately Pipe organ but I honestly like to play better my quitars

I'm very a-musical. I just don't have what it takes. Fact based engineering brains often don't mix well with artistic expression capabilities. But we can't generalize of course. And, it must be said, there's a lot of great music being made in Finland, take it from a foreigner. Bert

What's all the fuss about?

Hi again, I used to play drums, I first began as a drummer in a corps, later I bought my first drumkit which was too big for that corps. Then I played in a band for weddings and parties which was famous in my own region (Gouda-Rotterdam). Then I was in a band which played at the "Great Price of the Netherlands" in 1986, there were 500 tapes send in, 128 bands were invited to play, out of those 128 bands 6 bands were chosen to play in the final and from that the winner was known ( I still say we were on a seventh place because we didn't play the final and the step 128 to 6 is too large :smile: ) My last band was 6 years ago and played country-rock music. That sounded great because we had three guitarists. I still have my drumkit. It is a Tama 5-piece set with Zildjian and Paiste cymbals. I've played a lot of styles, waltzes, rock, blues, country, latin, even orchestral music when I was with the corps. What I liked to learn to play is a piano, because drums are only rhythm, if you want to change a song you play in the band then you must know the chords and how to explain it to the other members

Guitar and Mandolin, only occasionally, mostly Joan Baez-style folk music. Always wanted to learn the Bagpipes (for my Campbell Scottish heritage) and the oboe, but never had opportunity, tho I did start to learn on a practice chanter once, B4 my son got ahold of it... :smile:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

• 1 month later...

1.Now or in past (high school)? I play now, not that much, both clarinet and piano, in high school though also played flute, trumpet, and sax....i was in the jazz band, marching band, and also pep band......and No I do not have any "One day at band camp" stories.....hehehe 2.If so what gear? (brand model etc...) I have a Rico clarinet, use a 3 1/2 reed, usually rico.....I do not have the money to spend on the good ones.....for piano I have a yamaha upright. 3.What style music? I play classical music. 4. What instrament whould like to learn to play? I would like to learn to play the violin.

• 1 month later...

I play bass guitar, all forms of other guitar, drums/percussion, piano/keyboards, blues harp, violin, cello, ukelele and banjo and I sing. I spend most of my time playing bass though, cuz its the most fun! I have a 1985 Status-Graphite Series 2 headless bass guitar which is my pride and joy. I run it thru a Trace Elliot 300W bass combo which sounds fantastic. I play in a tribute band to Level 42 (remember them?) as I can duplicate the bass playing of Mark King and I absolutely love their music! I would love to learn to play the sax but I can't play wind/brass instruments as my mouth is the wrong shape (!)...apparently! Hope that is enough info! Jay

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

Taught myself to play recorder, which gave me the music bug. Progressed to piano and then clarinet, which I played in the school band. Wanted to play the sax though as it is far more sexy. Got to 5th grade in piano and decided that going out was more fun than practising, which I regret to this day. Love all music but mostly rock as to me it is the real thing. Julietta xx

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

In high school, university, and after (still wish that I could have made a living playing) played woodwinds (clarinet, sax, oboe, bassoon and flute) in pit orchestras for musical comedies and operas, jazz/stage bands, symphonies, chamber ensembles, and wind bands. Was also briefly a high school band director.

Go gently through life.

1.Now or in past (high school)? Now, and for as long as I can remember. I have played lots of instruments over the years. Accordion, clarinet, saxophone, drums, piano, synthesizer, trumpet . . . My main instruments now are guitar, xaphoon and electronics. Playing music has become my main priority in life. Pity theres no money in it.

2.If so what gear? (brand model etc...) I won't bore you with this. I've got lots of stuff.

3.What style music? Free improvisation.

4. What instrament whould like to learn to play? Anything I can get my hands on!

I

I play in a tribute band to Level 42 (remember them?) as I can duplicate the bass playing of Mark King and I absolutely love their music!

Cool.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I can just about poke out "Doe A Deer" on a keyboard. But I can sing and have done so on a semi-professional basis for about ten years now.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 3 months later...

1. I started playing bass when I was 15. I stopped playing during graduate school, took it up again at 30, then stopped again at around 37. 2. My first instrument was a Fender Jazz which I played for about 6 months before switching to a Fender Precision which had a more concussive attack. I still own both. I don't remember what amplifier I used when I started playing. It may have been a used Vox amp since I had blown most of my money on the two basses (besides buying women's footwear, that is what I spent my allowance on). I have had a 100 W Acoustic 126 since 1977 which uses a single 15 inch speaker in a reflex cabinet. I've recently started playing again and I'm having a fretless instrument made for me by a custom builder. 3. In high school and college, similar to Hendrix, King Crimson, and the San Francisco hippie groups. 4. Oh, a Mellotron I suppose.

Michael

I play the guitar, bass and drums. I also sing to a pretty reasonable standard (I've never broken any windows (except those of Bill Gates, deliberately), or had people tell me I can't sing. I've had people tell me have a lovely voice though, so I can't be bad!) Guitar is an acoustic Lyon by Washburn, fitted with a Fishman active pickup and gauge 12 D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings. Bass is a Libery bass, small body, 4 strings, gold fixings, single pickup, active, very nice indeed! Bass amp (which I also use for my acoustic) is a Laney Hardcode Max 60W combo bass amp, very loud if tweaked right, and very small too... Damn heavy though! I have various pedals and effects units for my guitars. Drum kit (although not mine) is a Mapex M series with an additional Mapex Black Panther Picollo snare, standard set of Sabian Pro Sonix cymbals (12in Hi Hats, 14in Crash and a 20in Ride), and a rather crappy Pearl 10in Splash. Very nice indeed. Currently borrowing a classic Yamaha DX7 keyboard with a Korg X5DR MIDI sound module... the DX7 is acting purely as a controller, which is just as well, as I had the sounds it produces! I have lots more audio gear too... Unfortunately, my brother has more :wink: SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

• 3 weeks later...

1. I started playing piano at the age of 7, and are still playing (Now I'm 33 :wink: 2. Currently I hava a Roland RD500 El.piano, Roland SC88 sound module, Korg Trinity and various VST instruments (computerbased synthesizers) and a pre-production recording studio. 3. Performance: Mostly jazz. Composing: Rock/pop music 4. Bass and drums. (The basics in any band concepts, and what gives groove to it all....) Moda Stivali

• 9 months later...

In elementary, high school, and university, I played the piano and trumpet. Unlike Coolshoes, I did make a living with music. I taught for 32 years in the public schools. Like Dr. Shoes, I sang professionally. I also did some work with a major symphony orchestra, performed on TV, directed church choirs, wrote and directed plays and performances, and stage productions, and also made a few recordings and taught private lessons on piano and the band and orhestra instruments. The type of music I prefer most:---ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE, IT IS HERE TO STAY! :D Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

1.Now or in past (high school)?

Currently I play electric and acoustic guitar. In high school, I played the drums. Before high school, I played the accordian.

2.If so what gear? (brand model etc...)

My electic guitar is a Fender Stratocaster. My acoustic guitar is a Sigma Martin. My drums were Pearl. I don't remember the make of the accordian.

3.What style music?

Today, I'm into rock & roll and country.

4. What instrament would like to learn to play?

I wish I could play Piano with both hands. Also, I wish I could play lead guitar better.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

• 4 weeks later...

ive played lots of instruments. keyboards, piano, drums, some woodwind and brass. But my best was on the piano so ive stuck to that. For the questions: - 1.Now or in past (high school)? both 2.If so what gear? (brand model etc...) piano, digital roland ep-77 3.What style music? many styles, classical, pop, rock/roll 4. What instrament would like to learn to play? guitar

• 1 month later...

1. Couldn't get away with it in school though I'm going to give it a shot in the next couple of years. 2. Korg, Roland or Casio keyboards 3. Electrogoth style...or whatever my fingers hit in a random order/voice 4. Keyboard...definatly keyboard

We are what we are, let nothing stand in our way in what we do

• 2 months later...

I play the fiddle and treble and tenor viols. I've got five acoustic fiddles, my favourite is one I picked up in a street market in Luca for €250 after a bit of haggling. I've got a bridge electric fiddle that I play with a Pignose Hog 30. My treble viol is a Dolmetsch (sp?) circa 1972 and my tenor is a David Miles. I now play Enlish and Welsh and French traditional music on the fiddle, I did a stint of busking on the South Bank, under Blackfriars Bridge a couple of years ago, it was fun and helped me push the boundaries of what I can do. I was scared stiff at first, but got into the mindset that people were expecting to see a busker there so it might as well be me. Apart from that I play in pub sessions. On the viol I play English consort music, French baroquery is too difficult, despite the heels! I'm not sure I want to learn anything else, I haven't got the time to practice, I took up the viol about ten years ago and I found that a struggle.

• 2 months later...

Lets see, I have a Fender Strat that I'm learning how to play. I play the flute and I'm currently getting the rest of my Dj equipment so I can start that. I just ordered my cartridges. and yes the Turntable is consideres a percussion instrument because you have to count beats to mix.

It's all good. ~Arron.

I'm surprised Heelfan hasn't contributed to this thread yet as he has his own Big Band! I know he doesn't like to blow his own trumpet as he plays double bass (and he has four people doing that already along with trombonists, saxophonists, a very good drummer and a virtuoso pianist). Ruth and I went to see them play in Knightsbridge and I have to say they are probably one of the finest bands in the UK today.

Forborkenvv:-) Teaching your wife to play the violin isn't like teaching her to drive? You wouldn't want to put a bet on that would you? Been there, done that, and got the T-shirt, and I was a professional music person all of my life. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 1 month later...

I have a Squier P-Bass which I've been playing for about a year, also an Alesis SR-16 drum machine for when I just want to play along to drums. Want to get a MIDI sequencer to hook up to the drum machine at some point. I can play some AC/DC, Green Day, Iron Maiden, Coal Chamber, Rage Against The Machine, Manic Street Preachers, Judas Priest etc. songs. Anyone want a jam?

Guitars Owned: Epiphone Dot Semi-Hollow, Hohner fake Les Paul, Fender Acoustic. Been playing for eight years or so. I can also play bass a bit. I stick to rhythm guitar mainly. Oasis was a big influence. Coldplay has now inspired me and I've been taking piano lessons since. Got one of those Casio cheapo keyboards fer practice. Oh, and I sing. The voice is an instrument too, you know. And I play air drums. 'Jen'

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.