Strappy pumps at the office

stellah

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the nails. Reveals that she hasn't worked a day in an office in at least six months before taking that picture. When you do a lot of typing, handling paper, and other things, like trying to remove staples from something without your staple remover, nails tend to break. they chip, split, peel, and generally look awful. I cannot keep my nails long anymore because of work. It's too frustrating to get them looking nice, and then have something happen to one. Then the rest. Real women break nails and work for a living.

Laurie, you made a mention of wearing sandals barefoot rather than with stockings. On a personal note, I prefer the look of a nude nylon, as the stocking keeps the toes from splaying out (I know, not every woman has that problem) and it looks much neater and more polished. However, the "fashion experts" constantly say that wearing stockings with sandals or open toe shoes is a no-no. I'm curious when that became a "fashion rule". If one looks back in history, women always wore hosiery, regardless of the shoe style (I'm talking dress shoes now, not casual or beach wear). Through the 1960's at least, that was expected. Then all of a sudden, someone decides that no stockings is the way to go? I've been at dressy affairs such as weddings and the like, and many women are wearing very dressy clothes with open heels, but are bare legged. A black cocktail dress with bare legs just does not cut it! It makes for an unfinished look! Anyway, just a rant on part, I guess.

I hate sandals with stockings. It doesn't feel right, and I prefer my toes look natural. The reason for wearing any pair of sandals in general is to keep feet cooler during the warmer months. Stockings or nylons simply detract from this ability. I dislike the look because it mutes the appearance of the toes. Let's face it, seeing toes through nylon material may be exciting for some, but not all. I think the rule came about because of the one that asks men not to wear socks with sandals. It looks silly. In the interest of equality and cool feet, the same rule is thus applied to women. I think it may be some 80s fashion thing. I have seen pictures of people wearing strappy shoes with stockings, and it doesn't look bad, but I just do not prefer the feel. I've tried it, so don't get me wrong. Black, opaque stockings with a pair of black open toed mules with a three and a half inch silver heel. Just did not feel right, despite it being winter. And for those who like to show off well polished nails, the nylon material also detracts from that as well. Even nude can change the colour's appearance. Yes, they do make nylons without the toes, so the legs are covered but the toes are left exposed to wiggle free. I'll agree with the fashion experts. Open toed and peep toed shoes are to allow the toes to be seen. Anything that hides them in any way is detrimental to the effect.

• 3 months later...

Sandalslover: "Why female workers go always with closed pumps to the office? I can never see a nice pair of heeled sandals at any office here. Same thing worldwide?" Ahhh... I love sandals, too, both on the other gender as well as myself. The stigma is most closely association with this fascinating concept known as "promotion." It seems one (females only) can wear between 2" and 4" closed-toe pumps with an excellent chance of promotion. Cut away the 2.17 square inches of leather in the toe, however, and the chances of promotion drop by approximately 71.92%. If you cut away further geometric shapes, the probability of promotion actually rises again, but never to the same lofty heights as that experienced by the control group of your average 36-24-36, 5'7", 118-lb woman wearing a conservative business suit-skirt and closed-toe pumps. Why this phenomena actually persists on a worldwide basis is the subject of continued study. In fact, such a study was proposed to several national governments by leading scientists not long ago. The issue, replete with innumerable photographs supporting the initial research hypothesis, is still being consider by all governments but Brazil and Italy. Those two governments have officially stated "we've grown beyond this childish nonsense - as have our beautiful and beautifully high-heel-clad women."

Absolutely right Laurie. I weigh a bit more than your ideal, though not much. I don't think those nails and shoes in the pic are suitable for office work. I'm doing a lot of PR work at the moment. Wearing 3 to 4 inch heels is part of the job, but that kind of oufit shown would not last one day!

Laurieheels: "The 36-24-36 5'7" 118 lb woman is so rare that she should never be used as a basis for anything." My original comment: "If you cut away further geometric shapes, the probability of promotion actually rises again, but never to the same lofty heights as that experienced by the control group of your average 36-24-36, 5'7", 118-lb woman wearing a conservative business suit-skirt and closed-toe pumps." That particular morphological type is not an average, but rather, a theoretical "ideal" in the minds of most men - those that do the hiring. It was an expose' on the fact that most men, especially those in power positions (the ones who make promoting decisions), still think far more about the outside of the package than the inside. Hope this helps unveil the true intention of my post to poke fun at the ridiculously stupid sterotypes which still exert considerable influence over many of us. Some firms might promote men who wear heels to the office. Most would not. Your average firm is more interested in conservative closed-toe pumps on its employees than sexy, strappy sandals or open-toed pumps, too. Just facts of life..

You are right Gene about laughing at ones self. Why I found it amusing is that I had a maths teacher once who used to put a maths problem on the board then when we had finished doing it ask 5 or 6 students what their answer was, he would then average out the results if there was any differences and say "the exact answer is approximately" blah blah. He could never understand why we, the students, laughed at him, the maths teacher, using that choice of words. Jeff

I wouldn't wear either strappy sandals or large strap courts to the office or at functions. It's the same as wearing sleeveless blouses or skirts which are too short. They don't fit with my current job's image. Classic courts or high heeled boots with a trouser suit are more suitable. In my early career I was involved in more menial work. Typing, loading photocopiers, tearing up old accounts, handling paper, or post room duities. Try doing that work with long nails and tight skirts!! Much of this thread is just fantasy. Sorry about that guys, but enjoy anyway :( Now I do PR work or managerial duties. High heels are part of a smart image, but those will be respectable courts or boots 3 to 4 inches tall.

In my early career I was involved in more menial work. Typing, loading photocopiers, tearing up old accounts, handling paper, or post room duities. Try doing that work with long nails and tight skirts!! Much of this thread is just fantasy. Sorry about that guys, but enjoy anyway :( Now I do PR work or managerial duties. High heels are part of a smart image, but those will be respectable courts or boots 3 to 4 inches tall.

Oh, I don't know, Carolyn. I'm in and out of a large number of offices on a regular basis, and I see a fair number of executive assistants (aka secretaries who "type, load photocopiers, handle paper, work in the mailroom, etc.") wearing higher heels, tighter skirts, and longer nails.

But you're right - most don't, as it's not conducive to getting the job done safely, effectively, and with a minimum of bother.

You two think so practically. Part of the fun of being at work wearing something 'irrisposible' and more difficult is the challenge. Just what I think... that's all. I know what you mean though.

Yup - switching on the other part of my brain, I do know exactly what you mean! Some of them wear the highest and the sexiest - not because they're comfortable, but because they're not into comfort, but rather, other things...

• 6 years later...

I've had some Pleaser Teeze concealed platform shoes for a lttle while now and wear them into work regularly. They give me a bit of a lift, but the platform means that my foot is not held at too acute an angle, so they're confortable for extended wear and I can strut up and down the corridors and they don't slow me down.

post-24414-133522913335_thumb.jpg

I've had some Pleaser Teeze concealed platform shoes for a lttle while now and wear them into work regularly. They give me a bit of a lift, but the platform means that my foot is not held at too acute an angle, so they're confortable for extended wear and I can strut up and down the corridors and they don't slow me down.

How do you find the Teeze styles? What is the quality like in person? I've been lusting after them for ages, but haven't known anyone that has a pair to see them for myself and ask how they fit and feel. Any information would be appreciated! Also, do you have a picture of them on? I'm always nervous buying shoes offline without seeing a non-stock picture of them. Thanks!

I'd say go for it. Shop around a bit as the prices from online stores do vary somewhat. I'm afraid I haven't got a picture of me wearing them to hand, but I posted a picture in the thread a day or two ago, which is probably as good as I could take anyway. The build quality is pretty neat for a budget shoe - I can't see any mistakes with the stitching or gluing. Compared to other shoes of a similar height I've tried they're pretty easy on my feet and I don't get aches and pains after a day at work in them, as I do with my Bebe Liza platforms. They're comfortable on bare feet too, which is a big plus for me as I prefer not to wear hosiery. Obviously, everyone's experience will vary, but I'm a happy owner! Alexa

Alexa, thanks for the very helpful details! I'm very grateful and I think you've convinced me. One other thing, do they seem like stripper heels? This isn't remotely a bad thing, but it might be worth knowing. Glad you're so happy with them-they're adorable!

Ha ha – I don’t know much about what strippers wear, aside from catching the odd episode of The Sopranos. I tend to think of strippers wearing those slip on mules with clear plastic platform soles. A lot of the Pleaser and Demonia range, including these shoes, seem to be more to do with an Emo/Goth/Alternative style. I think the main thing to watch out for is, as people have noted on this board, there can be some inconsistency in the sizing with Pleaser, so check the returns policy. I had some of their “Stack” platform boots in shiny patent, which fitted perfectly, and then bought the same style and size in matte which were really tight.

Right, by the end of the week I want to hear that your feet are nice and snug in a pair of Teeze platforms, where they belong! :)

p.s. I don't have shares in the firm - honest!

• 4 weeks later...

Alexa, thanks for the very helpful details! I'm very grateful and I think you've convinced me. One other thing, do they seem like stripper heels? This isn't remotely a bad thing, but it might be worth knowing. Glad you're so happy with them-they're adorable!

Do strippers even wear shoes? I thought they just wore a bathrobe which they strip off LOL