"highheels" in various languages

stellah

I tried to make a list of our favourite word in all the languages I could. Can you supplement and check this list?

This is in picture format, for I don't know how to use non-latin letters here.

In alphabetical order:

Posted Image

I bet some of you can do it in Dutch, Danish, Italian, Portuguese, etc. :smile:

HH forever!

In Mandarin Chinese (the dialect I speak) they're called "gao1 gen1 xie2". = high heel shoe. For those that don't speak Mandarin and would like a quick lesson (such as what the heck do those numbers beside the words mean, and why is the word "shoe" not pluralized) I'd be happy to give one. easy language to learn, hard to master.

I tried to make a list of our favourite word in all the languages I could. Can you supplement and check this list?

This is in picture format, for I don't know how to use non-latin letters here.

In alphabetical order:

Posted Image

I bet some of you can do it in Dutch, Danish, Italian, Portuguese, etc. :smile:

In Finnish it is actually "korkeat korot". Korkea means high, without it would just refer to heels.

Bert

What's all the fuss about?

In french, the most common translation for "high heels" should be "talons hauts", so you have to suppress that extra "e" letter, that transform the adjective from male to female. Indeed, "talon" is a masculine word in french... I like that !!! :-)

• 4 months later...

Well - since we're into corrections here: Norwegian (bokmål): høye hæler Norwegian (nynorsk): høge hælar "høyhæls" (in one word) is used in other combinations, most likely a performance (like 'høyhælsdansing' - high heeled dancing - but it's an unusual combination.) High heeled shoes would translate into 'høyhælte skor/høghælte sko' (an that concludes the Norwegian lesson.) Oh, and Danish: høje hæler

• 1 year later...

In Lithuanian, high heels comes out, "aukšti kulnai", while heels would be, "kulnai". You could also use a diminutive version for heels, "kulniukai". I saw quite a few women wearing 4- and even 5-inch heels when I was there in 1998, including one of my cousins. Last year, I hardly saw anyone in pumps.

Black 5-inch stilettos - the only way to go!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll have to add my contribution in heberw:

In hebrew it's "Akevim Gvo-him" (plural) for high heels or "Akev Gavoha" in singular. Akev is heel and Gavoh is high. below you can see how it looks in Hebrew characters (which are read right to left...)

Posted Image

Or if I try to write directly in heberw:

עקבים גבוהים

(I wonder if your browser shows something similar to the graphic above)

Well, Lithuanian is a phonetic language, so what you see is what you get. The "au" double vowel sounds the same as "ow". The "š" sounds like "sh". The "i" at the end of "aukšti" is short, as in English. The "u" sounds the same as in "put". The "ai" double vowel is very similar to a long "i" in English. The consonants you see are pronounced the same as in English.

Black 5-inch stilettos - the only way to go!

.....high heels in Spanish = Tacones Altos .... :-

From what little spanish I know, I always thought it was "talones altos" .

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

I was amazed when I saw the first spanish traslate, tacones lejanos!! that's a movie from Almodovar... hehe ,but now you've got it right=tacones altos,southern americans (argentinian/chileans) call them tacos altos. US people who speak spanish refer them = zapatos altos :)

Just Love High Heels...