The most unnecessary FAQ on the board: "Where did you get those!?"

When people post about their new purchases...  

63 members have voted

1. 1. When people post about their new purchases...

• I would like to know where they got them.
    • I don't care, I just like to look at and read about them.

It seems to be the most Frequently Asked Question in all of the forums in this board: Where did you get/find/order/buy those?" What a waste. Why does this question constantly need to be asked? Most of the people who post here seem to like to wear these shoes and not just look at them, but too many of the people who show us their new purchases seem to expect us to just "Ooooh" and "Awww" at them, and perhaps even drool over them a bit. To be quite blunt, showing off your new pride-and-joys without telling your mates on the board where you got them, especially if there are more available, and especially by mail order and/or at a large chain store, strikes me as thoughtless at the very least, to downright rude.:wavey: Think about it-- you have the time and energy to photograph them and yourself posing in them, upload your photos to an image hosting service, write it all up in a post here where you have to insert the links so we can see them, but then omit a source where we can get them too? Puh-lease...:smile: Perhaps we need yet another courtesy-promoting policy on the board: we don't get to show off our "to die for" purchases without also posting our sources, sort-of the way we expect the author of an essay to cite some sources. Oh, by the way, if you are one of the ones here who regularly does share your sources, 1) thank you, 2) obviously, you are not who I am griping at.

Okay, I'll climb down off of my soap box, now...

cor have you gone into one! okay i'm not a pro mediator but think this..... 1/ some people love to b different and not have the same as others or get it first, like us 2/ in the same way as two women wearing them same dress at the same do, its well embarrassing to wear the same as 3/ others are pleased to share the info, as happened to me when i asked recently 4/ i'd say show your new ones off and wait 4 the admiring comments... one day i'll show mine off, not loads of, gotta suss how to upload pics, in the mean time try Aldo style Bignona 95 and ave a splff xx

cor have you gone into one!

One thing I've learned from years of hanging out with assertive, strong-minded women, I'm not bashful about saying how I feel!

okay i'm not a pro mediator but think this.....

That's cool, I appreciate your entering the discussion.

1/ some people love to b different and not have the same as others or get it first, like us

The very fact that we hang out here makes us different from the general population. The whole point of this board is the sharing of information and mutual support for our uphill trek, our swim against the tide, or whichever other metaphor comes to mind. Others apparently feel as I do-- I'm really not kidding when I write that the most frequently asked question on this board is "Where did you get them?" All I'm saying is, please think of supporting your mates on the board with useful information when you show off your new purchases.

I'm an information-oriented person. Information (in general) means freedom and empowerment because it gives people options. No one has to rush out and buy what gets pictured and described on this board but, if something takes your fancy, wouldn't you prefer that enough information came along with it that you stood a chance to have one for yourself before it is gone? See how this simile grabs you: posting pictures and descriptions of your latest purchase on this board without including some sort of source or identifying information is like publishing a mail-order catalogue that omits all ordering information.

2/ in the same way as two women wearing them same dress at the same do, its well embarrassing to wear the same as

What are the odds of two of us showing up at the same party in the same footwear, even at a heel meet? Each time we buy a "production" item (whether produced en masse or on a more limited scale), it is certain that someone else out there has another "copy" of it that is just like ours.

3/ others are pleased to share the info, as happened to me when i asked recently

Sometimes, they are. I've seen many other requests go unanswered. And this information is often time-sensitive, because styles come and go quickly. The last time I asked, there was indeed a reply, but far too late...:smile:

4/ i'd say show your new ones off and wait 4 the admiring comments...

I say again that if you go to the amount of effort required to do that on this board, please have the thoughtfulness to post some useful information along with it.

one day i'll show mine off, not loads of, gotta suss how to upload pics

You essentially have two options. One is you can ask the board mods to create a folder for you in the members' gallery. Unfortunately, though, we have little control over what we may post and delete (or have deleted for us) there. The other and more common option is to open an account with an image hosting service. You then upload your photos to your account on the service, and then link to them in your posts. Since these services exist to support boards like this one that permit image and URL links, they usually provide convenient bits of code that you can paste directly into your posts, which will do the job for you. These code snips usually place a thumbnail image in your post, which your viewers can click to see your full-sized image (along with lots of advertising, which supports these "free" services). Or, you can use your browser's features to discover the URL of the full-size image on your hosting service, and insert that link in your post.

in the mean time try Aldo style Bignona 95

That is actually more useful than posting a photo-- not only can I search that out to see the photo, but I can order it, too.

I said I didn't care, and I truly don't. But one thing I am puzzled about is: with the kind of worldwide participation that this site has, how can anyone reasonably expect to find the same shoes (unless, they're just down the street from where the footwear was procured). I think it altogether unreasonable to expect to find the same shops in London that we have here in America, or for Brazilians to have the same shops that are found in Russia. So apart from being just one more bit of information, what difference does it make? :smile:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I replied that, yes, I would like to know.

Perhaps I do live down the road, or across town. Or perhaps not.

Most online companies will ship worldwide now, and many smaller shops are happy to mail to you if you call them. About 7 years ago, I had an online friend show me a pair of heels he had found in a small shop in Canada. He gave me the name, I looked up the phone number. And 2 weeks later I had the same pair.

Plus it is nice to see what different styles are being sold around the world, and it is also interesting to know the selling price.

And perhaps on a differnent note: Most of us are looking for shoes in a size larger than 41, or US 10. So when a find is made, it helps us locate a larger size. Which then translates into another sale of a larger size, which (Hopefully) increases demand and lets the manufactured know larger sizes do sell.

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

Let's not forget that so many shoes are mass-produced and distributed worldwide in these times. A particular shoe that you find in a shop just around the corner may also be available on the other side of the globe.

Have a happy time!

• 2 weeks later...

I voted yes, but I'm sure I have been guilty of not saying where bought a pair of shoes I've posted a picture of. There was one occasion where I actually did by a pair of shoes (for Mrs. F) that a member posted a picture of. Unfortunately she didn't get on with them and after a couple of hours wearing at a party we hosted she had very nasty blisters - I didn't photograph those. Perhaps there's an element of psychology working here too, if you post a picture of yourself wearing your new pride and joy, you want a response from members - leaving out vital information might do the trick. If I'm interested I'll ask the question.

That is a question that I also ask frequently. I note that on http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/, for example, that if you don't credit your images they get deleted! That's going far too far for here, but it certainly isn't too much to ask people to at least add a style name, brand name, and a few little details to their posts.

>> with the kind of worldwide participation that this site has, how can anyone reasonably expect to find the same shoes <<

Er, ahem. Online Shopping.

To be quite blunt, showing off your new pride-and-joys without telling your mates on the board where you got them, especially if there are more available, and especially by mail order and/or at a large chain store, strikes me as thoughtless at the very least, to downright rude.:wavey: Think about it-- you have the time and energy to photograph them and yourself posing in them, upload your photos to an image hosting service, write it all up in a post here where you have to insert the links so we can see them, but then omit a source where we can get them too? Puh-lease...:smile:

Yeah, agreed. It's incredibly narcisistic to say, "Look at me! Woo!" without helping others find the shoes they're loking for.

Links to purchase whatever's shown should be first.

Okay, I'll climb down off of my soap box, now...

No, don't - you're on a roll.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

If I were to post a a pic of a new pair then i would be only too glad to say where I got them. I think most people feel the same way. Sometimes it's to give others the chance to get the same, sometimes it's to brag about the great deal I got. Most of my styles I get from Ebay so often they are ones of a kind.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I fully agree that we should give the proper information with the heels we sometimes put on display. But when I buy shoes from ebay, like Dr Shoe it is not always from a retailer, so one of a kind. Or now I buy quite a lot of shoes from Highestheel and Pleaser.... so when mentioning that it would be ok to find the websites by themself instead of inserting everytime a URL..... FL

FoxyLady

• 2 months later...

I want to thank everyone who replied to this thread. I have not posted any pictures...yet. I'm trying to get my scanner working. But it seems the concensus of those who replied is that they would like to know where they were purchased. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the information.;)

That is a question that I also ask frequently. I note that on http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/, for example, that if you don't credit your images they get deleted! That's going far too far for here, but it certainly isn't too much to ask people to at least add a style name, brand name, and a few little details to their posts.

>> with the kind of worldwide participation that this site has, how can anyone reasonably expect to find the same shoes <<

Er, ahem. Online Shopping.

I'm a bit of a hardliner on this one.......

On a photography forum, camera, lens, exposure setting, film type (if used) would be included as a matter of course. No-one expects the picture can only be taken with that camera, but the information is provided anyway. Call it a courtesy thing if you will. :cool1:

Same courtesy is paid to viewers on other equipment/product type forums. Why wouldn't anyone want to provide some basic product information? We're here to help and support each other. If I've found a source of shoes or boots that are comfortable, inexpensive and look good, why wouldn't I want to "share" the source?

If I lived in Brazil, that information may not (at first look anyway) be of much use to me here in the UK, but assumes I won't ever be going to Brazil. More pertinently, it assumes no-one from the UK will be going to Brazil, and even more pertinently, assumes no-one else in Brazil would be interested in the source. The "it's not useful information" point, is actually a pointless remark. None of us know, who reads this forum. [Richie might, but I doubt he will know who of the US/UK/European Guests and Members will be travelling to Brazil this or next year.]

If you accept my premise that 'source' information is a courtesy, then electing to omit that information might (or should) be seen as a dis-courtesy. Rather like posting a picture on a photography forum, and being reluctant to advise members how an image was created. "What difference does it make?"

The difference between you being a self-indulgent individualist, and being a helpful member of a community, is all.

Soap box moment over. ;)

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit of a hardliner on this one.......

On a photography forum, camera, lens, exposure setting, film type (if used) would be included as a matter of course. No-one expects the picture can only be taken with that camera, but the information is provided anyway. Call it a courtesy thing if you will. :o

Same courtesy is paid to viewers on other equipment/product type forums. Why wouldn't anyone want to provide some basic product information? We're here to help and support each other. If I've found a source of shoes or boots that are comfortable, inexpensive and look good, why wouldn't I want to "share" the source?

If I lived in Brazil, that information may not (at first look anyway) be of much use to me here in the UK, but assumes I won't ever be going to Brazil. More pertinently, it assumes no-one from the UK will be going to Brazil, and even more pertinently, assumes no-one else in Brazil would be interested in the source. The "it's not useful information" point, is actually a pointless remark. None of us know, who reads this forum. [Richie might, but I doubt he will know who of the US/UK/European Guests and Members will be travelling to Brazil this or next year.]

If you accept my premise that 'source' information is a courtesy, then electing to omit that information might (or should) be seen as a dis-courtesy. Rather like posting a picture on a photography forum, and being reluctant to advise members how an image was created. "What difference does it make?"

The difference between you being a self-indulgent individualist, and being a helpful member of a community, is all.

Soap box moment over. :roll:

Freddie...

You brought up some good points. Get on your soapbox anytime.

Guest Loveshiheels

I for one like to know where people have got the heels from and what make they are.

hi! in respect to the world popullation we are a drop inn the ocean!! yes it is nice to see where the shoes were bought, the store will usually display others on their site as well!! that is always nice to look at!! however, would not of made a isue of it, myself! we should accept each other on here as we are, and maybe not be so sensitive!! if someone does not mention where they bought it from,(maybe its a slip or imaterial to them, if I posted where I bough my heels it would be ZERO value to most on here!!) its easy to ask!! JMO!! and my 2c thanx :roll::o:smile: