medieval heels

stellah

• 1 year later...

The only reason heels were invented was with the introduction of the iron stirrup which would allow a heeless shoe to slip through. Up to that point, they were made of leather and were more like cups and were frequently made to compliment the wearer's shoes. The earliest recorded wearing of heels by a woman was when Lorraine Medici got married in 1570s.

• Like 1

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 4 years later...

I think that so fascinating... also the shoes beeing not even very high still having such an elegant form though absolutely not *our taste*... Do u know these miniatures? attached - *just the right shoe*? I usually do not like that kind of stuff but these are just gorgeous and giving a nice view with a lot of details of that shoewear.

post-2189-133522878858_thumb.jpg

post-2189-133522878862_thumb.jpg

post-2189-133522878867_thumb.jpg

they say those shoes were quite difficult to walk - heel beeing even 12 cm of height but in the middle of the feet, not under the heel so that it would be difficult to hold balance when walking (no idea if this is true!) But you are right, as to me, I like the nice form, if they would be affordable I would love to have a pair too.

• 4 months later...

Shucks all to heck, Dr. Shoe. If I had known that you really, really wanted a reply to that particular post a lot sooner, I would have been more than happy to comply with your wishes. TEE! HEE! A little American humor there. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

About time I got a response to that post... It has only taken almost 4.5 years!

Yes, I'm really surprised at the extraordinary amount of interest in the subject. ;)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.