Broken heel

Hi

I managed to break one of my stiletto heels today.:sad: The other heel is showing signs of wear as well. And these are expensive Italian stiletto boots (bought them at Silhouette)! It's absurd that the heel would break after only to outings. I only weigh about 130 pounds! :smile::wavey:

Here's what the damage looks like. (1, 2, 3, 4)

My question to you members of the forum is: What do I do?

Do shoe repair shops have a stock of replaceable heels? Would they be able to remove the existing heels and find similar ones that are built tougher? How much could it cost to replace heels?

Are there metal heels that are covered with some form of coating? I'm not a big fan of metal heels but apparently I need tough enduring ones.

Most shoe repair shops should be able to replace it. It might take a while because they may need to send away for the heels (they'll do both so that they match). It could be that they may have a similar heel in stock or that you may be able to find them on something you don't wear or don't fi you (they must be just one size bigger or smaller than your boots though). After they are done you may need to think about the way you walk in heels, you obvioously put your weight on the foot before your weight is directly above it as the break looks like a shear to me.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hmmm, I haven't thought of the way I walk in heels. I video taped the way I walk in them and it seemed as though I walk ok. I'll give it a try though, perhaps walk a little slower when wearing stilettos. Thanks for the info

some repair shop do have replacement-heels. they looke quite as yours, but you have to change both of them. have you ever tryed to contact the seller, or the manufacturer? i did, sometime ago on a greek shop (and manufacturer) and they sent me a pair of the original heels via express from greek to germany with no extra costs. as they arrived, i took the boots and the new heels to my repairshop, and they charged 20 euro for removing the old heels and putting the new ones on...

Most shoe repair shops should be able to replace it. It might take a while because they may need to send away for the heels (they'll do both so that they match). It could be that they may have a similar heel in stock...

After they are done you may need to think about the way you walk in heels, you obviously put your weight on the foot before your weight is directly above it as the break looks like a shear to me.

You have shear force trauma to that heel. This normally happens when you place your weight on the heel as the foot comes in contact with the pavement and before you put your weight on your foot (unless you got the heel caught on something). You need to consider carefully how you walk in heels. Perhaps you need to shorten your stride a bit.

You also ought to consider going to a thicker heel to help minimize this kind of break again.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

"You also ought to consider going to a thicker heel to help minimize this kind of break again." And stop wearing stiletto heels? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!:-) Maybe I'll replace the heels with metal ones or just walk more carefully in stilettos. I still think that the heels on these boots were crappy to begin with and a simple replacement of these heels to more durable stilettos would solve the problem.

"You also ought to consider going to a thicker heel to help minimize this kind of break again."

And stop wearing stiletto heels? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!:-)

Maybe I'll replace the heels with metal ones or just walk more carefully in stilettos. I still think that the heels on these boots were crappy to begin with and a simple replacement of these heels to more durable stilettos would solve the problem.

Well, life is full of choices. However, until you identify and correct the cause of that break, yer probably just going to be spending money. Don't forget that force is a thing that seeks the least resistance. Sure, you can reinforce the heels with custom made 440 stainless steel. But if you continue doing things the same way you will simply transfer the force that broke that heel to the next weakest part of the shoe - probably something a lot more expensive to repair.:smile:

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels