Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

I'm put off by the "contact" page. I don't think of myself as a "queer feminine man." Sorry. I'm a fashion forward guy who is happy in most respects being a guy, happily married, too. I just want a lot more latitude in clothing and shoe choices, the same as women get. Like others have commented, though, I don't care for their styles. Way too funky for me - a throwback to the 1970s. I'm not going there, and not at those prices. I realize they're serving a small niche market and won't get any economies of scale, but I don't predict a high level of success with those styles.

Steve

How interesting.  They also have an office at 110 Wall Street.  This is a WeWork Space.  Presumably this creates more Real Life advertising for their version men in heels

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I like their concept, i hope they make a go of it. They should definitely get their web presence up to best practices. 

I don't mind their designs at all. Other than the less edgy George, the Chad looks pretty good.

As to the queer term in their statement, i can understand how that rubs people the wrong way, but to much of the younger gender variant crowd, queer has a meaning that is not fully associated with sexual preference and means something along the lines of "no labels, everything is fluid, don't worry about it " . There was an article i read not long ago and I wish i could find that talked about how they were taking back the term queer and celebrating it.

On 5/2/2016 at 2:13 PM, Rockpup said:

Got an email from solestruck, there is a new brand marketing heels for men. http://shopsyro.com/

I might have to try the George model

Interesting for certain, but their offerings don't move the needle for me.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:13 AM, Rockpup said:

Got an email from solestruck, there is a new brand marketing heels for men. http://shopsyro.com/

I might have to try the George model

As others have said, their current style choices and prices don't do much for me.  They have potential, and good for them for taking a bold step in doing what they like and trying to market men's heels.  But clearly their site could use more professionalism, and of course expand their selection to be less focused on a narrow niche target.  The men's heels market is already a very narrow market as it is, and they seem to be focusing on an even smaller subset of that market.

4 hours ago, hhboots said:

The men's heels market is already a very narrow market as it is, and they seem to be focusing on an even smaller subset of that market.

Have to agree - - not much there to make me wonder if they will ever expand let alone buy.

10 hours ago, Heelster said:

Have to agree - - not much there to make me wonder if they will ever expand let alone buy.

I think they are selling to the Urban Millenial. The same target market the Buzz Feed article on Men in Heels appealed to.

No doubt this will have little appeal to the Rural Silent Gen, the rural Baby Boomer, or the Rural Gen X population here.

Did anyone here ever hear of Malcolm Gladwell?  He wrote about the Tipping Point (a moment of critical mass, the threshold, the boiling point) at which a paradigm shift occurs.  In the book the Tipping Point, Gladwell references the sale of Hush Puppy shoes.  How Hush Puppies went from being a lame brand sold only to the un-hip to a hugely successful national brand.  Thanks to a handful of downtown New York trendsetters (Urban Millenials at the time).  A group of "opinion makers" started wearing these shoes.  Others saw them and copied the style, with people even driving to out of the way places to stock up on Hush Puppies.  Then a few fashion designers used them on the runway and visibility reached a tipping point.  Hush Puppies experienced a renewal when company insiders were ready to quit.   

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 1

I think something similar occurred with Ugg boots. I remember them from my long ago days at Sydney University as cheap things students wore around the college, comfy study wear. In Melbourne people joked snobbishly about Uggs being 'Heidelberg Stilettos' - Heidelberg being a working class suburb where you would often see people wearing Uggs on the streets, in much the manner people wear sweatpants now.  The notion that they could one day be, and indeed now are, considered high fashion - and very expensive - still flabbergasts me.   

7 hours ago, kneehighs said:

I think they are selling to the Urban Millenial. The same target market the Buzz Feed article on Men in Heels appealed to.

No doubt this will have little appeal to the Rural Silent Gen, the rural Baby Boomer, or the Rural Gen X population here.

Did anyone here ever hear of Malcolm Gladwell?  He wrote about the Tipping Point (a moment of critical mass, the threshold, the boiling point) at which a paradigm shift occurs.  In the book the Tipping Point, Gladwell references the sale of Hush Puppy shoes.  How Hush Puppies went from being a lame brand sold only to the un-hip to a hugely successful national brand.  Thanks to a handful of downtown New York trendsetters (Urban Millenials at the time).  A group of "opinion makers" started wearing these shoes.  Others saw them and copied the style, with people even driving to out of the way places to stock up on Hush Puppies.  Then a few fashion designers used them on the runway and visibility reached a tipping point.  Hush Puppies experienced a renewal when company insiders were ready to quit.   

I can only say, with respect, that yet again you identify (and identify with?) a group or movement whose appearance and activity is about as far removed from most members' preferences as I am from the world of diplomacy.   These people are not going to influence the world markedly, thank goodness.   But maybe ... just maybe ... the world will be nudged slightly in the direction we would wish.

I agree with Kneehigh's thoughts. I'm not sure if Syro's trend has reached Gladwell's tipping point, but their offerings are indicative of a general direction. I find their products progressively fashion forward, which generally don't appeal to a wide audience, regardless of where they fall on a feminine/masculine spectrum. I think it's a nice trend in any case. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Puffer said:

I can only say, with respect, that yet again you identify (and identify with?) a group or movement whose appearance and activity is about as far removed from most members' preferences as I am from the world of diplomacy.   These people are not going to influence the world markedly, thank goodness.   But maybe ... just maybe ... the world will be nudged slightly in the direction we would wish.

That doesn't seem like an undiplomatic statement to me.  

2 hours ago, fashionablefun said:

I agree with Kneehigh's thoughts. I'm not sure if Syro's trend has reached Gladwell's tipping point, but their offerings are indicative of a general direction. I find their products progressively fashion forward, which generally don't appeal to a wide audience, regardless of where they fall on a feminine/masculine spectrum. I think it's a nice trend in any case. 

Yup.  If a Gladwell tipping point ever does occur, it will likely start with the Urban Millennials.  For instance, Prince was a Baby Boomer and had global rock star influence. David Bowie was another Baby Boomer.  Despite the immeasurable rock star influence of both these men, we don't see Baby Boomers running around wearing heels in critical mass. Caitlyn Jenner is another Baby Boomer giving permission to the masses through her celebrity to embrace gender non-comformity.  

The change everyone wants is occuring within the Urban Millenials.  The evidence is in the money.  BuzzFeed/25K/Media and Syro/Commerce

Edited by kneehighs

On 5/5/2016 at 7:46 AM, Puffer said:

People have always said this about the youth but i agree you in relationship to the members here. Our demographic is older. The feminine male movement in that age group is still very early and i agree it will likely change the culture in many ways. The gender variant movement is related to this as well. 

I encourage everyone to look at the trans and gender variant blogs at tumblr. The average age of those folks is probably something like 21 and it gives you a feeling on what is to come. 

Bring it on for a better world. I think companies like this represent revenue opportunity based on that trend.

• Like 1

On 5 mei 2016 at 9:36 AM, kneehighs said:

A bit off discussion, but Buzzfeed is quite awesome in my opinion. Always doing fun stuff and they don't shy away from thinking outside the box. 

Funny that a few replies below the article call #8 perfect. I'm more into the styles shown on #3, 9 and 24. :)

• Like 1

A post from the NZHerald.co.nz "Bay of Plenty Times" positively endorsing men in heels.

Rosie Dawson-Hewes: Heels are alive...with men

"Many great men have embraced high heels over the years - David Bowie and Prince spring to mind. I've said it before and I'll say it again - fashion is a fluid form of self-expression, one that should not be limited to gender or stereotypes or any other expectation society puts on us.   Fashion is freedom, to be whoever you want and say whatever you want through what you wear. For me, my heels are a key part of that freedom and expression. I love seeing others, regardless of gender, experience the same joy I get from a great pair of shoes.   If women can wear the pants and men can wear skirts, it's only fitting that everyone have the same opportunity to feel both the pain and flawlessness that a great high heel provides. After all, my brothers fished about in my mother's wardrobe, trying on her high heels, as much as I did."

To put this into perspective, "Bay of Plenty Times attracts a strong core of influential local industry leaders, with its readership being skewed to those employed in the top 3 occupation groups. They tend to be financially stable mortgage-free home owners who enjoy spending time together as a family." 44% of their readership is Baby Boomers and Silent Generation.  

A small media victory reaching outside the usual Urban Millenial,  but nonetheless noteworthy.

• Like 4

I certainly enjoyed reading that article. Very illuminating indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

Great photos from Buzzfeed indeed. These are the newest photos of "men in heels" I have seen but it is proof it can be done. Note how many of them don't even have shaved legs rather they are simply presenting as men. The basic point here is the world has to be accustomed to this new optic if men are ever going to be taken seriously as the women are. every one of these 25 are certainly confident so therefore they know where their organs are.  HappyinHeels

Thanks for posting that. Great pic. He has the slim figure for stilettos and looks great. If I wore that same outfit, you'd laugh yourself to tears!

:giggle:

Steve

Edited by Steve63130
  • Like 1

Looks like the DSquared2 show at Milan Fashion Week MENS showed men in heels.  

One can follow the instagram hashtag #Dsquared2 or visit Vogue.com later for images.  

EDIT: the amount of money all the instagram posts added together are worth is staggering.  Oversimplified, the average market rate corporations pay for an Instagram post is roughly 1 US cent per 1 genuine follower.  I don't have time to calculate the monetized press value, but it's certainly good since it's FREE :)

D Squared 2 show Milan Mens.png

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 1

Good find! Interesting pics on the Vogue site. While I'm not personally willing to risk my ankles wearing such high platforms, I'm glad to see examples of guys in heels getting such publicity. That's positive exposure and good for our future, I believe!

Steve

On 6/17/2016 at 9:17 PM, kneehighs said:

Looks like the DSquared2 show at Milan Fashion Week MENS showed men in heels.  

One can follow the instagram hashtag #Dsquared2 or visit Vogue.com later for images.  

EDIT: the amount of money all the instagram posts added together are worth is staggering.  Oversimplified, the average market rate corporations pay for an Instagram post is roughly 1 US cent per 1 genuine follower.  I don't have time to calculate the monetized press value, but it's certainly good since it's FREE :)

D Squared 2 show Milan Mens.png

18 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

Good find! Interesting pics on the Vogue site. While I'm not personally willing to risk my ankles wearing such high platforms, I'm glad to see examples of guys in heels getting such publicity. That's positive exposure and good for our future, I believe!

Steve

This throwback to the absurd glam-rock fashions of the 1970s does heel-wearing men no real favours.   Anyone wearing sparkly platform boots will likely be ridiculed in anything other than a narrow club environment.   And the Vogue quote '“This is also a celebration of our homosexuality,” said the designers.' will surely add ammunition to those who equate heels on men with a gay lifestyle.   

• Like 3

It is the same whenever heels or tall boots appear on men in fashion shows - always with absurdist androgynous styles that would repel the vast majority of guys, or else in some tacky over-the-top campy way that most gays would avoid. Same as when a guy, for whatever reason, experimentally wears heels in the press - it's nearly always lipstick red stiletto pumps, to draw attention to the freak show.  I do not believe I have ever seen guys in heels, or tall boots, presented in the media in any normal attire, dressed as normal man-on-the-street guys would dress, so that one would would have to look twice to notice the footwear.  

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

This throwback to the absurd glam-rock fashions of the 1970s does heel-wearing men no real favours.   Anyone wearing sparkly platform boots will likely be ridiculed in anything other than a narrow club environment.   And the Vogue quote '“This is also a celebration of our homosexuality,” said the designers.' will surely add ammunition to those who equate heels on men with a gay lifestyle.   

Totally agree. That comment does no favors to heterosexual men who happen to enjoy wearing heels. If anything, that reinforces an old and tiresome stereotype that needs to be eliminated.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Puffer said:

This comment completely ignores all the good Instagram engagement.  There's hundreds of positive comments and thousands of likes. None of them have anything to do with homosexuality.  Further, Millenials represent the segment of the population where SCALED acceptance of men in heels is growing.  They are more influenced through Instagram than Vogue.com.

The phrase, "This is also a celebration of our homosexuality" was included in the context of the Orlando shootings (see final paragraph).   Coming out as a gay for many is now a new PR move to support the Orlando victims.  This is what the DSquared designers did.  The DSquared designers may not have intended for men in heels to be associated with homosexuality.  I'd say Leitch made a mistake by accidentally creating a false association, so good point.  One can tweet to Leitch at @LukeLeitchUK.

Good instagram engagement etc reflects an appeal to a certain specific demographic. While that demographic seems large and all encompassing to those who are within it - it's their whole world, after all - it represents a only tiny portion of the world at large. To the world at large these images and contexts serve only to deepen, harden and perpetuate already stronly held stereotypes.