Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

Photos found on Instagram account @lifeaschad

Photos by @artistJessicaRae

I like the "French Vogue" style photography.  Enough nudity to be tasteful, not too much to be "Terry Richardson" style photography.

Would've replaced the guys heels with some Louboutin Pigalle's and taken the cell phone out of the girls hand.  

Still interesting though.

12317408_1661066117481702_1970624760_n.jpg

11881813_131891540486922_1437383907_n.jpg

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 3 weeks later...

Jaden Smith (Will Smiths boy, rapper, actor) is now the star face of the new controversial SS16 Louis Vuitton Womenswear Campaign.  He often wears dresses.  He likes to wear clothes marketed to women.  But he likes to appear as a man.  

http://mic.com/articles/131687/jaden-smith-shows-style-has-no-gender-as-louis-vuitton-s-newest-women-s-wear-model?utm_source=policymicFB&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=social#.BtrvA0u1q

A quick facebook search will reveal a multitude of comments.  The public feedback is mixed.  Some comments are good.  Some are bad.  It's interesting to read.

Hmm... interesting. I looked at the twitter postings of Nicolas Ghesquiere (the current designer behind Louis Vuitton) - already a few days ago - and now again due to Jaden Smith being his new model. I read through some of the "love Jade" / "hate Jade" postings and realized... I have passed that "discussion" point so much that I don't even enjoy reading through these comments anymore.

To be honest: I would prefer if designers like Ghesquiere would rather design stuff for men that doesn't have bust darts, stuff that is running in larger sizes than XS, and stuff that is cut long enough to not look on me (an average male at age 40) like I did wash it at boiling temperature in my washing machine.

If designers like Ghesquiere seriously wanted men to wear some more things that are cut a bit more tailored / female, they would be bold enough to bring out some menswear pieces that come in sizes for men. Dear male freestylers of hhplace: If you wanna have fun, go to one of the Louis Vuitton stores in spring and ask for that biker jacket Jaden Smith is wearing in YOUR size.. :lol:

Jaden Smith is still a typical teenager, who fits to the size of a typical (constantly starving) model. It's not bold of Ghesquiere to use Jaden as a model, he is just following the latest fad, e.g. male models in their late teens / early 20s without breasts wearing cocktail dresses for women. As much as I am pro fashion freestyling, this I just don't get purely from a body-doesn't-fit-the-garment-type of perspective.

Today I just received my new trenchcoat from Burberry. The color and fitted shape was only available in their women's collection. I bought it because I like the colour and the more fitted shape. Stil... due to the bust darts I will have to take it to my tailor to (hopefully) get it altered so the bust area is taken in and I can wear it as a guy. I have dozens of clothes that I had to get altered that come from the women's department, that's why I personally am not very fond of men modeling female attire while the designer in reality doesn't really care about moving forward with fashion for men.

On the other hand: When I was at a Gucci store a few weeks ago (bought a belt) and asked about the new collection (which is e.g. pussy bow blouses for men), the salesman looked at me like this ( :shocked: ) and told me calmly: "Don't worry sir, we only have ordered the normal collection that are wearable for men."

It seems that even if the designer is moving forward, the whole organization still has a learning curve ahead of them...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, freestyle75 said:

On the other hand: When I was at a Gucci store a few weeks ago (bought a belt) and asked about the new collection (which is e.g. pussy bow blouses for men), the salesman looked at me like this ( :shocked: ) and told me calmly: "Don't worry sir, we only have ordered the normal collection that are wearable for men.

I think he just told you there aren't many women out there that will fit the "modeled" clothes so they will stock what they can sell and bollemic women are not very common. 

On 1/4/2016 at 5:40 PM, freestyle75 said:

Hmm... interesting. I looked at the twitter postings of Nicolas Ghesquiere (the current designer behind Louis Vuitton) - already a few days ago - and now again due to Jaden Smith being his new model. I read through some of the "love Jade" / "hate Jade" postings and realized... I have passed that "discussion" point so much that I don't even enjoy reading through these comments anymore.

To be honest: I would prefer if designers like Ghesquiere would rather design stuff for men that doesn't have bust darts, stuff that is running in larger sizes than XS, and stuff that is cut long enough to not look on me (an average male at age 40) like I did wash it at boiling temperature in my washing machine.

If designers like Ghesquiere seriously wanted men to wear some more things that are cut a bit more tailored / female, they would be bold enough to bring out some menswear pieces that come in sizes for men. Dear male freestylers of hhplace: If you wanna have fun, go to one of the Louis Vuitton stores in spring and ask for that biker jacket Jaden Smith is wearing in YOUR size.. :lol:

Jaden Smith is still a typical teenager, who fits to the size of a typical (constantly starving) model. It's not bold of Ghesquiere to use Jaden as a model, he is just following the latest fad, e.g. male models in their late teens / early 20s without breasts wearing cocktail dresses for women. As much as I am pro fashion freestyling, this I just don't get purely from a body-doesn't-fit-the-garment-type of perspective.

Today I just received my new trenchcoat from Burberry. The color and fitted shape was only available in their women's collection. I bought it because I like the colour and the more fitted shape. Stil... due to the bust darts I will have to take it to my tailor to (hopefully) get it altered so the bust area is taken in and I can wear it as a guy. I have dozens of clothes that I had to get altered that come from the women's department, that's why I personally am not very fond of men modeling female attire while the designer in reality doesn't really care about moving forward with fashion for men.

On the other hand: When I was at a Gucci store a few weeks ago (bought a belt) and asked about the new collection (which is e.g. pussy bow blouses for men), the salesman looked at me like this ( :shocked: ) and told me calmly: "Don't worry sir, we only have ordered the normal collection that are wearable for men."

It seems that even if the designer is moving forward, the whole organization still has a learning curve ahead of them...

I agree it would be nice if designers would make female clothing styles in menswear sizes.  The market demand for that sizing in the luxury market is niche though, and ultimately not scalable or profitable.

I think LV made a brilliant PR decision though.  Imagine the monetary value of the free press LV received as a result.  

5 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

There's sure an awful lot of hate in that article and in the comments. The boots don't even look like the heels are 2" let alone higher.

Steve

No, but remember how the media reacted to Sarcozy's "heels" ? They were even lower.

On 1/8/2016 at 1:18 PM, Pumps said:

I always wondered how a heeled man in politics would go down...

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/06/marco-rubio-high-heeled-cute-boots-mocked

I had to Laugh Out Loud when I read this article.  Turns out the heel is 1.75".  They are Dukes from Florsheim.

"A vote for Marco Rubio is a vote for men’s high-heeled booties" Senator Rand Paul “Cute new boots!” and Carly Fiorina's challenge, "Yeah, Marco, but can you rock these?” she told Independent Journal, with an accompanying picture of her 3.5-inch heels."

Sounds like people are just having fun with it.

Is it me or just impossible to find a quality nubuck leather lace up stiletto platform ankle bootie in a larger size such as 11US or 41Euro?

Most booties i'm seeing are faux leather or patent leather or plain design without stylist laces. Find either the booties i find look to formal like ice skates without the laces or sold out of my size. 

Reading reviews of booties almost always ladies comment complaining about never finding the prefered trendy bootie they are looking for. Often brands are too cheap in quality or designer prices listed in the thousands for what they are want.

Understand the frustration cheap brands copy designer brands and trends often fit or comfort is terrible, falling apart breaking or blistering your feet. Worst feeling knowing you bought cheap brand heels and the heel snaps off in public...

Nice booties below type of style i'm looking for could live with the matte leather then suede or nubuck but the price per outing is ridiculous to consider. If i was accepted more for wearing heels day to day i wouldn't hesitate buying these lovely heels.

Comparable to Dune Nino booties but the style ain't the same.

eqzoom85 (1).jpeg

41il56OZMWL._AC_UL320_SR242,320_.jpg

On 1/9/2016 at 5:21 PM, Steve63130 said:

There's sure an awful lot of hate in that article and in the comments. The boots don't even look like the heels are 2" let alone higher.

Steve

Yeah i think anything to dig at that sort of politician. Those are clearly not women's boots.

Thanks for your comment, Robbie.

In another matter, here's what happened to me last night. We live in a cottage in a retirement community and the dining room is in the main building, about 300 meters away. Last night I wore my black Clark's "Ruby Sparkle" boots (photo attached) and my wife and I stopped in the fitness center to work out. I changed into a pair of rubber clogs (like crocs but high quality) for the workout (stepper and bike, no treadmill last night) and kept them on to go to dinner. After dinner, we came back with a neighbor who wanted to walk back with us. She was afraid of slipping on ice so she wanted our company for safety. No problem. We stopped in the fitness center and I put the heeled boots back on in front of her, (over my jeans, TBG, in case you're curious) and she watched and commented that she ought to get a pair of boots with a zipper as they're easier to get on and off. But she didn't comment at all on the fact that they were clearly women's boots or had a 3" stacked heel! I was really amazed by what she didn't say! I guess people here are so used to my being in women's heels that they expect it now and would probably question me only if I WEREN'T in my usual footwear! LOL Is that acceptance or what?

Stevemsg-4071-0-95611200-1425501135_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

On 13/1/2016 at 10:38 PM, Steve63130 said:

... she watched and commented that she ought to get a pair of boots with a zipper as they're easier to get on and off. But she didn't comment at all on the fact that they were clearly women's boots

I tend to do this also: when confronted to something I find strange (e.g. a person I meet wears a neon pink hat with lamps), I will avoid my brain a direct confrontation with how strange the whole thing is, but rather try a diversion by referencing to either my own experience ("my helmet is yellow, I think yours looks better, especially with the lamps") or on small details (e.g. "your lamps are nice to prevent your head from hitting the ceiling"). This helps to keep my self control. Once the person leaves, I will LOL alone or with my mates.

I assume this reaction is due to modern times, because I don't remember doing this earlier.

Regards

kneehhighs,

I thin it was a little bit of good-natured humor. As to the whole US election cycle I'm sure it is good press in other countries if only most people knew the precarious position the US is actually in right now. I'm not sure anyone can fix it, not even Trump. $104 trillion in unfunded obligations exceeds the entire global economy! Let Marco enjoy his boots.

HappyinHeels

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

kneehhighs,

I thin it was a little bit of good-natured humor. As to the whole US election cycle I'm sure it is good press in other countries if only most people knew the precarious position the US is actually in right now. I'm not sure anyone can fix it, not even Trump. $104 trillion in unfunded obligations exceeds the entire global economy! Let Marco enjoy his boots.

HappyinHeels

Totally "good-natured humor".  

Regarding the US DEBT, I agree.  Perception of US power given "$104 trillion in unfunded obligations" exceeds it's actual power.  Perceptual vs. Actual Value.

Steve63130,

Come on now you can confess what is really going on. You are now living in a high heel club with  a retirement community sign out front. Keeps the rest of us guessing! I imagine Granville not seeing your copper-hued nails and Clarks heels would be like northern Kentucky not seeing TBG out and about in his trademark thigh-high boots. It would be a veritable heel hell. Not a place any of us want to stumble into. :shocked:  HappyinHeels  

Life is really good when you can wear what you want almost all the time. The only downside is downsizing! I don't have anywhere near the amount of storage space I had for heels in the former residence. So I now store the summer sandals in plastic tubs under the bed and keep the winter clogs, boots, loafers and pumps on the closet shelves (which hold about 70 pairs). When warm weather gets here, I'll switch them and make the sandals more accessible. It works!

The high heel club actually consists of me and two gal pals in the marketing department! We do have fun talking about our choice of heels when I visit them several times a week!

Steve

Steve63130,

We'll all downsize in time. The plastic tub thing works if the space under the bed allows such a tub to slide under. Perhaps you can hang a shoe rack on the back of another door or build a small cabinet in the garage. If that doesn't work I have a 40' X 28' (12.1 X 8.5 m) pole barn which could store a few heels :cool:. Seriously though you made a proactive move going into such a community where nearly every need is taken care of. You're a wise man in a cool clog.  HappyinHeels

• Like 1

Music shapes culture.

Martin Scorsese teamed up with Mick Jagger to create this series VINYL.  

So we have Louis Vuitton and Martin Scorsese with Mick Jagger on HBO supporting the same principles that encourage men to wear heels.

And who said our culture needs to catch up again? 

vinyl-hbo.jpg

Not sure where to put this comment, but I didn't want to start a new thread and this looked like a reasonable spot so here goes nothing ...

Today, I had a really surprising and almost scary moment while out shopping.  I had on some pretty basic looking 4.5" chunky leather boots with black straight leg women's polyester stretch pants that leave most of the heel exposed underneath.  Not like the usual jeans I wear, and they are very form fitting, much tighter pants than I normally wear, so they are pretty easy to tell they were made for women.  Anyway, I was going through a large hardware store, and pass by a couple of 20-something aged, rather tough looking hispanic guys, wearing typical clothing that a construction worker might wear (faded overalls covered in paint stains and other similar debris, you know...) 

The first time I passed them, they both did a double take and had huge grins on their faces, I know they were talking to each other about me, but they on kept on going.  I figure, well that's nothing too bad, a fairly typical reaction for what I was wearing today.  A couple of minutes pass I am coming around the next aisle and they are both walking toward me and were both taking a much closer look, the first one passes, we nod at each other and he has a smirk on his face as he stares at me with a sort of intimidating look... by this time, I was thinking, oh great.  As the second guy passes, he looks directly at me, I can tell he is determined to say something, I am starting to get a bit nervous... and he eventually says, "hey man, I just had to tell you, you have some big balls bro", I stuck my hand out and said "right on", then he shook my hand, nodded his head with a look of approval, said "later bro", and they kept on going. 

I've only had a couple of incidents where I felt a little intimidated, and I am not sure why I felt nervous at that moment, but honestly, that was not at all how I expected that exchange to go at that moment, but was a nice little confidence booster for me if I am in a similar situation again. :)

I know it's not as exciting as some of the other stories told here, but I usually try to make myself practically invisible while out heeling, and typically don't have very much to say about my adventures out.  But, it was a different experience for me, so had to share... thanks for listening if you got this far.  lol

• Like 2