Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

I found this online today.  At least it was an honest attempt rather than some silly, giggly thing that we see all too often.  The issue I have is that the guy started out immediately in quite high heels (that I'm not sure were a good fit either), and the material looked quite stiff as well.  Not the best choice for a first time in heels.  Wish he would have chosen something more manageable for a first time trial.  Most of us, and most women, don't immediately go buy a pair of 4"+ heels as their first pair, and then wear them for a whole day with a bunch of walking to boot.  Not a real fair appraisal of what it's like to wear heels, but at least it was done in good taste.

http://www.etonline.com/news/166879_this_guy_wore_high_heels_for_a_day_to_understand_why_women_complain_so_much/

I found this online today.  At least it was an honest attempt rather than some silly, giggly thing that we see all too often.  The issue I have is that the guy started out immediately in quite high heels (that I'm not sure were a good fit either), and the material looked quite stiff as well.  Not the best choice for a first time in heels.  Wish he would have chosen something more manageable for a first time trial.  Most of us, and most women, don't immediately go buy a pair of 4"+ heels as their first pair, and then wear them for a whole day with a bunch of walking to boot.  Not a real fair appraisal of what it's like to wear heels, but at least it was done in good taste.

http://www.etonline.com/news/166879_this_guy_wore_high_heels_for_a_day_to_understand_why_women_complain_so_much/

I agree, RonC. That outing went south in so many ways, it wasn't funny. Instead of those outlandish sandals, I would've gone with a three inch heeled pump which would've offered much more in the way of stability and comfort for lengthy periods of time. Perhaps wearing outlandish shoes with sky high heels was part of his plan from jump street to demonstrate the so-called impracticality of wearing heels.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Dude would have had the same problem if he jumped into a pair of steel toe metatarsal work boots and walked around a steel mill all day.

Bad planning and execution from the looks of it.

Thanks for the read!

He failed, but I appreciate the effort he put in I suppose.

I wish he would have taken it more seriously. Better outfit, better heels (I guarantee he found those on clearance ) and more effort into that walk would benefit us all more.

Too much drama.  As many of us know here, high heels can be worn quite successfully (and pleasantly) with out such drama.  This was just an attention grab by the filmmakers.  

However, it is nice to see at least some publicity that guys do wear heels….   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

https://www.facebook.com/LizzyTheLezzy/posts/10152953918386863:0

Whilst there is a few haters in there scrolling through the comments it's good to see there are quite a lot of women who like the idea of men in heels and a lot saying "if you can walk in in them go for it I can't walk in them myself can you guys teach me!" And it's surprising the amount of guys posting in there too even some photos!!

https://www.facebook.com/LizzyTheLezzy/posts/10152953918386863:0

Whilst there is a few haters in there scrolling through the comments it's good to see there are quite a lot of women who like the idea of men in heels and a lot saying "if you can walk in in them go for it I can't walk in them myself can you guys teach me!" And it's surprising the amount of guys posting in there too even some photos!!

Was rather surprising. good read though

• 1 month later...

I feel like I don't even really care anymore about guys wearing heels, yet the news over the years just keeps growing more and more in public favor of men wearing heels.

In terms of internet publicity, a BUZZFEED article is the best.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/augustafalletta/strap-on-your-stilettos#.ovRYO83y7

August 18, 2015.

Done, for men in heels.  

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Yes, all good. But there are a lot of guys here, newbies in particular, who are insecure and need your coaching and inspiration, so while you might not have more to gain from being here, you can be of great assistance to many others who are in awe of your confidence and experience. Don't abandon us. Visit often, contribute often, and stick around. We need people like you here.

Steve

I feel like I don't even really care anymore about guys wearing heels, yet the news over the years just keeps growing more and more in public favor of men wearing heels.

In terms of internet publicity, a BUZZFEED article is the best.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/augustafalletta/strap-on-your-stilettos#.ovRYO83y7

August 18, 2015.

Done, for men in heels.  

If the article showed normal men going about normal activity and the comments came from a true cross-section of the public, I would agree with you.   It doesn't and I don't.  

Nearly all of those pics are damaging to the cause if what they show is intended to be a true representation of what men do (or should do) in public. 

If the article showed normal men going about normal activity and the comments came from a true cross-section of the public, I would agree with you.   It doesn't and I don't.  

Nearly all of those pics are damaging to the cause if what they show is intended to be a true representation of what men do (or should do) in public. 

If your opinion represented normal men going about normal activity and was a true representation of an intergenerational global public, I would agree with it.

Puffer, I would expect Kent, England to become a global leader in cultural change before you agreed with me to be honest.  

Steve--life!  evolution....more valuable ways in my life to spend my time.  But thanks for the exhortation though!

I believe it simply means he liked your comments. I agree and like them too.

Thank you; appreciated.   If your supposition about dww's post is correct, it shows the danger of a response not clearly linked to a previous post - a common problem here!   And at least three of us here seem to have a proper handle on reality.

By the way, I have no pretensions about Kent becoming a global leader in anything (if it isn't already).   Indeed, neither I nor my county have any pretensions beyond those of rational and balanced thought and conduct.   (Oh - I forgot to add 'modesty'.)

I agree with you. I looked at those pictures and saw nothing there that struck me as remotely out of real life or people with whom I could possibly identify. They were models, striking poses and in fairly preposterous ways. It is like when one sees photos of men wearing business suits and lipstick red stilettos, images supposedly normalising the wearing of heels. All they do is call attention to its out-of-the-ordinariness and crete a sense of confrontation and the bizarre. Would anyone seriously wear lipstick red brogues to an office unless you were deliberately being provocative and wanting to call attention to yourself and your footwear. So why would one do it with shoes that would already been different, especially if you seriously wanted to make the new style acceptable.

The same goes for the images of androgynous models and clothing that usually accompanies stories about radical changes in men's fashions. All that sort of look does is make most guys want to run the other way,

Yes Mr Puffer I did agree 100% with your comments, as for the Like bit please do keep up.

I'm quite sure it was not the "like" part that was somewhat confusing, but rather the "Miss Amanda" part.

I agree with you. I looked at those pictures and saw nothing there that struck me as remotely out of real life or people with whom I could possibly identify. They were models, striking poses and in fairly preposterous ways. It is like when one sees photos of men wearing business suits and lipstick red stilettos, images supposedly normalising the wearing of heels. All they do is call attention to its out-of-the-ordinariness and crete a sense of confrontation and the bizarre. Would anyone seriously wear lipstick red brogues to an office unless you were deliberately being provocative and wanting to call attention to yourself and your footwear. So why would one do it with shoes that would already been different, especially if you seriously wanted to make the new style acceptable.

The same goes for the images of androgynous models and clothing that usually accompanies stories about radical changes in men's fashions. All that sort of look does is make most guys want to run the other way,

You'll get no argument from me, either. I'm used to seeing guys in heels (well, pictures of them, anyway), and 90% of those pictures made me cringe. In fact, most of them are so outrageous that I'm not at all sure that the title of the "article" was not intended to be sarcastic. Possibly No. 10, I might attempt, but if I wore that same outfit.  .  . nah, never mind, I wouldn't attempt it.

I'm quite sure it was not the "like" part that was somewhat confusing, but rather the "Miss Amanda" part.

No, it was the 'like' comment as it was unclear which earlier post was being 'liked'.   That is why a quote or link is helpful.

You'll get no argument from me, either. I'm used to seeing guys in heels (well, pictures of them, anyway), and 90% of those pictures made me cringe. In fact, most of them are so outrageous that I'm not at all sure that the title of the "article" was not intended to be sarcastic. Possibly No. 10, I might attempt, but if I wore that same outfit.  .  . nah, never mind, I wouldn't attempt it.

I totally agree with everything said here and in posts #443/444.   Imho,  No.10 was almost the only note of sanity in the whole collection - by itself it would not merit criticism, especially as the wearer was obviously having a bit of mild fun.

Guys this is what's happening here:

We have a tendency to emphasize one half of the truth at the expense of the other half, and we can do that in either of the following ways.  For instance, we emphasize conservative style at the expense of creative and experimental style; or we emphasize what is acceptable in rural areas at the expense of what is acceptable in urban areas or what is acceptable free styling for Gen X at the expense of what is acceptable and even laudable free styling for Gen Z.  

Many diverse things are good; that good is plural. Even for the same person, there are often two or more choices that are both good style choices.  Good style is kaleidoscopic. Many roads are right. The road to the Chanel Store is right and the road to the Forever 21 store is also right.  Syle is multicolored.

Also for what it's worth, I attached a screen shot of an email with the author August Falletta.  It was a serious piece designed with the target market demographic in mind.

I've also attached an Advertising Analysis of BuzzFeed for brands prospectively seeking to advertise on Buzz Feed.  Not only will we see that that 56% of the readers are aged 18-34.  We read that one post will typically cost between $20,000-$25,000 US.

Since I don't see anyone here pulling out their check book to write a check for $20-$25K, the concept of heels for men arguably just scored a handsome free victory. Granted, it's among Gen Y, Gen Z, and Millenials;  yet it was still a positive piece I'm grateful for.

Now since no one is writing me checks for spending my time here, it's time for me to fly.  There's a time to plant and a time to uproot.

See you guys next year.

<ADMIN>Abusive content removed.</ADMIN>

Let me try to translate the post of kneehighs: Although it surely wasn't a post that shows men in everyday situations wearing heels, it is an article that is quite positive about men in heels in general. If you, e.g. as a business, wanted to place a posting on buzzfeed being positive about heels in order to make men wear heels, it would probably cost between 20-25K for that article to appear in buzzfeed. So... simply put: it is a "free victory" for men in heels, as this article appeared on buzzfeed without anyone paying for it.

So much for the translation. Personally, I think that if someone spent 25K to make that post with these type of pictures in order to increase his men's heels sales, it would have been a waste of money. If you want to make men wear heels, show regular, straight men in an everyday situation, who are serious about what they do and are not captured in a sort of "joking" situation. Out of 100 pictures I see on the net with men wearing heels, most of them are lack these attributes unfortunately.

Then again... hardly anyone here is probably a model, so it's sort of an adverse self-selection on which pictures appear on the net...

Guys this is what's happening here:

We have a tendency to emphasize one half of the truth at the expense of the other half, and we can do that in either of the following ways.  For instance, we emphasize conservative style at the expense of creative and experimental style; or we emphasize what is acceptable in rural areas at the expense of what is acceptable in urban areas or what is acceptable free styling for Gen X at the expense of what is acceptable and even laudable free styling for Gen Z.  

Very well said. Wear what you want and let others do the same :)

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Heelster said:

Now that is interesting, and he looks like he can handle them to.

This gives a better perspective:   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3354344/Burly-banker-seen-five-inch-heels-trading-floor-Kate-says-children-want-m-Celebrity-admits-gone-bit-far-risqu-homemade-hotpants.html

If you're referring to Halligan, his shoes are clearly too large for him, and an earlier report made it clear that he found walking in them difficult.   

The whole stunt was obviously enjoyed by all concerned, including Kate and William.