Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

From Zero to Hero:

http://youtu.be/hRXc_-c_9Xc

While this video touches on crossdressing, there are still men appearing as men wearing heels towards the end.

The plot line touches upon the universal human desire to feel heroic.

It's a great that the MUSIC industry is taking action to culturally assimilate minority sections of the population.

You seem, as usual, to find some deep and meaningful comment buried in a superficial and seemingly irrelevant work.   It was nicely produced but I didn't find that it enriched my life or added anything to my fund of knowledge.   And the barely visible heels were hardly exciting either.

You seem, as usual, to find some deep and meaningful comment buried in a superficial and seemingly irrelevant work.   It was nicely produced but I didn't find that it enriched my life or added anything to my fund of knowledge.   And the barely visible heels were hardly exciting either.

Exactly! The average joe or jane isn't going to get it.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I actually disagree with both of you guys, so it's just one of those "agree to disagree" moments.  The comments on You Tube are equally sided.

The title is "We Exist" as whatever we want to exist as.  We chose our identity for ourselves.  Those who dare to do that in a world where everyone is trying to define who we are, wind up being the true heroes in life.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

It's a great that the MUSIC industry is taking action to culturally assimilate minority sections of the population.

Umm.. Honestly.. not really. Its more ' shock rock ' or a band taking a direction thats not mainstream. This happened a lot with " Captain Fantastic ", , The Sex Pistols and many other non conformists. Need I mention Marilyn Manson?

Arcade Fire has been around for a while. I saw them in a club in Quebec in 2001 ( 2002? ) when they were first starting out/fading out. They were NOTHING like they are today or what was in the video you posted.

I know they are in some way associated with David Bowie and I fee they are trying to bring similarity of his stage showing to gain/further their notoriety. 

Most of the bands I have spoken with in the local circuits in all different flavors are as they have always been. Theres no assimilations of ' minority cultures ' as you have mentioned. Theres just been a lot more shock-rock and glam-rock making it to the stages as of recent. 80's ' hair metal ' is starting to make a comeback ( sad, I know ).

Its a circle that rotates every 2-3 decades.

No, they will see exactly whats presented for what it is. ' shock rock '. Most seeing the video wont listen to the lyrics. They will see the images being presented and thats what they will take from it. Its a genre of music that has never taken the forefront in all of its revolving times. Its always been ' just behind ' and sometimes very popular. Its seldom understood in quantity ( of the masses ) though.

MTV really screwed the pooch with it.

I actually disagree with both of you guys, so it's just one of those "agree to disagree" moments.  The comments on You Tube are equally sided.

The title is "We Exist" as whatever we want to exist as.  We chose our identity for ourselves.  Those who dare to do that in a world where everyone is trying to define who we are, wind up being the true heroes in life.

As you stated, the comments were of a 50/50 nature. If one takes away the stage show and just tries to hear the content of their songs, what will they come away with? They would probably come away with a more insightful sense of what the song is about. They would probably absorb the lyrics or ' message ' better as they are able to concentrate on less sensory input. This is why the group of people I work with dont do videos or allow them to be filmed. We do make cd's and mp3's that are for distribution as we want people to hear what we have to say in a clear message, not some fashion show. There are some videos out there, but we feel they take away from the content of the music itself ( as the video you posted demonstrated ).

Without the stage show, how well would the song in question be known? " Kiss " wasnt that great musically, yet their make-up and blood/fire breathing, spinning drumsets, smoking guitars.. it made them popular/famous.

The true heros are all in Arlington bro. I know a couple of them. :(

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Come to think of it, I remember the imagery from viewing this yesterday, but I don't remember the music. 

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Come to think of it, I remember the imagery from viewing this yesterday, but I don't remember the music. 

Exactly. People will remember the guys wearing the outfits.. What was the song about again? 

KneeHighs is onto something though but there are problems with the notion of it.

Kneehighs is quite to the point on the messaging of music but that message is lost very quickly. The 60's and 70's had a very strong political point to it. ' Rocking in the free world ', ' Signs ', Even the Beatles ' Revolution ' are songs remembered ( along with their messages ) when no MTV or video catalogue ( Youtube ) was even considered to have a chance of existing. The message of the video above will go as far as the whole ' Seattle Grunge ' scene did in the 90s and its dead and gone before it ever really gets started.

Thats how culture just ' is '. People will see ' Men in heels ' as a fad and nothing more even *IF* half the male population started to wear heels regularly in the next decade. Why? because its not wanted by anyone outside of those of us whom do in fact wear them. 

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

• 2 weeks later...

The 60's and 70's had a very strong political point to it. ' Rocking in the free world ', ' Signs ', Even the Beatles ' Revolution ' are songs remembered ( along with their messages ) when no MTV or video catalogue ( Youtube ) was even considered to have a chance of existing. 

eh!?!

"Rockin' in the Free World" is a song by Neil Young, released on his 1989 album Freedom.

Always High-Heel Responsibly

• 3 months later...

Selfridges in London is creating THREE floors of Unisex Fashion.

Dubbing it "AGender".

Breaking news via TheTimesCo.uk which states "No more will there be separate departments for women's clothes and men's clothes, usually on separate floors.  Instead, unisex shopping is in.  The Oxford Street department store has announced that it is making spaces on three of it's floor "gender neutral".

'We want to take our customers on a journey where they can shop and dress without limitations or stereotypes,' the store told The Times. 'A space where clothing is no longer imbued with directive gender values, enabling fashion to exist as a purer expression of 'self.'' 

Selfridges in London is creating THREE floors of Unisex Fashion.

Dubbing it "AGender".

Breaking news via TheTimesCo.uk which states "No more will there be separate departments for women's clothes and men's clothes, usually on separate floors.  Instead, unisex shopping is in.  The Oxford Street department store has announced that it is making spaces on three of it's floor "gender neutral".

Displaying clothes for both sexes on the same side of the aisle is not the same as displaying or promoting clothes as being truly unisex.   OK, there are likely to be items (such as jumpers, shirts and some trousers) which could be regarded by many customers as unisex (and might be promoted as such) but that is a long way from Selfridges suggesting that much if not all of its stock (including shoes and skirts) can be worn by both (all?) sexes.  

At best, I think this will be a neutral display, largely for the convenience of the store rather than its customers, but no doubt some members will visit and report here and we shall see ... 

Displaying clothes for both sexes on the same side of the aisle is not the same as displaying or promoting clothes as being truly unisex.   OK, there are likely to be items (such as jumpers, shirts and some trousers) which could be regarded by many customers as unisex (and might be promoted as such) but that is a long way from Selfridges suggesting that much if not all of its stock (including shoes and skirts) can be worn by both (all?) sexes.  

At best, I think this will be a neutral display, largely for the convenience of the store rather than its customers, but no doubt some members will visit and report here and we shall see ... 

Who stated anyone was expecting a complete overnight inversion of male/female style as a result of this?  That the norm of the world would now be 3 piece suits for women and sequined backless dresses for men, all as a result of Selfridges' decision?  Pragmatically, the real world responds to steps and this is inarguably a step in the right direction.  

Who stated anyone was expecting a complete overnight inversion of male/female style as a result of this?  That the norm of the world would now be 3 piece suits for women and sequined backless dresses for men, all as a result of Selfridges' decision?  Pragmatically, the real world responds to steps and this is inarguably a step in the right direction.  

Re-read your original posting and you will see that you referred to 'unisex' fashion, hence my comments.   And I did not suggest that there would be any 'inversion'.   As usual, Kneehighs, you have read more into both a press report and a considered response to your apparent reaction than is justified by the facts - presumably to suit your own ideals.   Yes, the change at Selfridges might prove a useful step in the right direction - but that is all.

Re-read your original posting and you will see that you referred to 'unisex' fashion, hence my comments.   And I did not suggest that there would be any 'inversion'.   As usual, Kneehighs, you have read more into both a press report and a considered response to your apparent reaction than is justified by the facts - presumably to suit your own ideals.   Yes, the change at Selfridges might prove a useful step in the right direction - but that is all.

Way to rain on the parade Puffer.  All over one minute word choice.  

No one implied the stepped change by Selfridges would create more, so your glass is half full viewpoint is just that, a pessimistic trapping of your own world and really the wrong place and wrong time to exhibit such a killy joy attitude.

Thanks for flagging the story kneehighs, I had no idea this was happening.

For me reading "No more will there be separate departments for women's clothes and men's clothes, usually on separate floors. Instead, unisex shopping is in" only implied that the department is unisex and not necessarily the clothes.

I couldn't get the Times article to load, but reading similar articles from other online newspapers, apparently:

• it's a temporary thing (for six weeks starting from March 12 at Oxford Street, Birmingham and Manchester stores and online)
  • the focus is actually very much on unisex and gender-neutral clothing, although it is largely driven by "a huge surge in women buying menswear" (but also "men have also been picking up women's knitwear for themselves").

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/28/selfridges-is-introducing-a-unisex-shopping-concept-5039128/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2924474/Selfridges-goes-unisex-Oxford-Street-department-store-stock-gender-neutral-fashion-ranges-men-women.html

I agree it's a step in the right direction, and while I suspect the predominant public opinion will be dismissive and cling desperately to conditioned stereotypes, the fact that the open-minded people are now seen as significant enough to be commercially viable, albeit still a minority, is still a positive reflection of changes for the better in social attitudes.

My only reservation is that all this gender-neutral clothing is predominantly a masculinized reflection of society's stigma towards femininity, so while I'll still be shopping in women's departments, guys who are hoping for pretty styles in larger sizes may well be disappointed.

If you like it, wear it.

Sorry if you felt that I was being negative, Kneehighs.   We had both read the brief comments in The Times and, on that basis, there was scarcely a 'parade' (even though you were blowing your trumpet).   But SleekHeels has found some helpful detail which does suggest some more truly unisex offerings.   The peculiar thing, though, is that this appears to be a short-lived experiment - too short perhaps for any meaningful conclusions to be drawn by either the store or its customers.  

Whilst the 300+ comments to date in the Daily Mail are nearly all condemnatory (or at best sarcastic) and not to be taken too seriously, they are scarcely good news for the store.   As I said before, the proof will be in the view of those (members or otherwise) who will visit the store; I doubt that I'll bother.

My only reservation is that all this gender-neutral clothing is predominantly a masculinized reflection of society's stigma towards femininity, so while I'll still be shopping in women's departments, guys who are hoping for pretty styles in larger sizes may well be disappointed.

This is something i've seen a fair amount too when it comes to androgynous clothes, unisex etc. However, i prefer to think that any steps in the right direction are good. I am beginning to see more and more info online about more feminine wear for men.

Interesting quote from Kesha as found on IMDB:

I am so not a proper, good female. I can't dance in high heels and I'm just so not girly, but then I see these men with these banging bodies, dancing in heels, singing, and having so much fun with so much make-up on. That makes me honestly want to be a better woman.

I must be getting old. Never even heard of this person. Will say to some regard I am glad I am not growing up to the "music" of today. Sounds familiar though as my parents had no appreciation of Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin when I was young.

I must be getting old. Never even heard of this person. Will say to some regard I am glad I am not growing up to the "music" of today. Sounds familiar though as my parents had no appreciation of Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin when I was young.

I must be getting even older. Never knowingly listened to either of these. I am glad I am not growing up to the "music" of today - or yesterday. Sounds familiar though as my parents had no appreciation of Buddy Holly or Alma Cogan when I was young.  :cool: 

the fashion world towards straight males in heels is bad, its like your not part of the sterotype, they are arrogant people, with no creative thinking, well thats what us heel wearing men must put up with, double standards

I agree, the typical male has no fashion sense, or just does not care. Truthfully, most women are not very far behind. Most people dressing up is a new pair of blue jeans and a t-shirt and some sort of tennis shoe.

I came across this: http://www.onepiecetravel.com/NEWS/Does-the-man-can-pull-on-the-high-heel-shoe-_1114.html

It is obviously translated (sort of!) from Chinese and the lengthy opinion is just about understandable and vaguely amusing, if not always crystal clear.   You can decide for yourselves whether it makes sense, especially one of the conclusions: 'Yes, the man can wear the high-heel shoe just as the man in British wear the shirt'.   I'm 'in British' and generally wear a shirt (although not on my feet), so that's OK then.

Well with the pictures they choose to display, I don't even take a single read.

There is so many other pictures featuring guys wearing heels as guys and not looking flamboyant (from newmalefashion to lookbook through blogspot and even aliexpress' or ebay's dedicated stores).

You find anything on internet, and always what you want to support one's opinion.

I came across this: http://www.onepiecetravel.com/NEWS/Does-the-man-can-pull-on-the-high-heel-shoe-_1114.html

It is obviously translated (sort of!) from Chinese and the lengthy opinion is just about understandable and vaguely amusing, if not always crystal clear.   You can decide for yourselves whether it makes sense, especially one of the conclusions: 'Yes, the man can wear the high-heel shoe just as the man in British wear the shirt'.   I'm 'in British' and generally wear a shirt (although not on my feet), so that's OK then.

• 1 month later...