kneehighs

Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

769 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, kneehighs said:

This article with the SEO friendly ULR "Men in Heels: Harry Styles, Justin Bieber, Kanye West" title has been on the Vogue Landing Page above the fold for 3 consecutive days now:

http://www.vogue.com/article/men-in-heels-harry-styles-justin-bieber-kanye-west

The attached video came from an instagram story that ran Saturday 4.22.  I downloaded it b/c Instagram stories are only live for 24 hours. 

@cristalserranoo.mp4

AmericanVogue Screen Shot.png

I am glad to see that there is coverage mentioning men in heels that depicts them in a positive light. The only problem is, none of those boots are what I'd call heels. At all. There are plenty of guys who wear logging boots on a construction site that have higher heels than those shown here. What, exactly, is there to say here? If at least one of them had been wearing something closer to 3 inches, I could see it, but I can't even figure out why this is an article. Must have been a slow day.

A very slow day indeed. 

If the notion of a man wearing incrementally higher heels than those found on bog-standard brogues can really be such big news, the societal straight jacket must be on tighter than one imagines. 

Edited by Shyheels

I have been mixing men's and women's clothing for many years.  I usually wear about 60%+  female clothing.  I like some styles that aren't available in men's (like sleeveless turtlenecks), I like the expanded colors, and fit - I not into the baggy look. Yes, this is cross dressing, but the look I get is male, a well dressed male with high heels. I wear with confidence and have no issues with "my look". No dresses or skirts, just not my style.

When Rubio's heels was brought up in the presidential race some of my friends pointed this out and jokingly asked if I was his fashion consultant. I told them that I was at the forefront of fashion and Rubio was just following my lead (tongue in cheek).

I found it astounding that Rubio's very modest chunky heel should have caused such an uproar. I truly would not have thought it worth mentioning, if I noticed it at all. America must be a deeply conservative place.

Part of it was Trump's method of distracting people from his complete lack of detail plans and outright lies while at the same time trying to marginalize his rivals. Unfortunately it worked and fooled enough people.

Edited by Cali
1 person likes this

I do remember reading how Obama was taken to task for wearing a light tan suit - apparently that was seen as drifting too far off the comfortable median and into radical territory. 

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I found it astounding that Rubio's very modest chunky heel should have caused such an uproar. I truly would not have thought it worth mentioning, if I noticed it at all. America must be a deeply conservative place.

Not the whole country, but pretty much everything between the coasts. Those simple little heels cost him a lot of votes.

7 hours ago, Heelster said:

Not the whole country, but pretty much everything between the coasts. Those simple little heels cost him a lot of votes.

If so, I begin to despair of attitudes and values in what passes for an enlightened and tolerant society.   Still, the same degree of prejudice in the UK will surely add a further nail to the Corbyn coffin.

Jeremy Corbyn polls so badly he might even be helped by wearing heels!

Edited by Shyheels

On 4/23/2017 at 10:44 AM, Shyheels said:

I don't believe it was that big of a deal. Other than the mention in the news I never heard anyone comment on his choice of footwear. 

8 minutes ago, Pumped said:

I don't believe it was that big of a deal. Other than the mention in the news I never heard anyone comment on his choice of footwear. 

Perhaps it was the press over here that made more of a deal about it. I certainly read plenty about it in our papers and the reports suggested that it was a big deal in America.

A quick check on Google (Rubio+heels) shows it was quite a lively topic in America in January 2016 - New York Times, Breibart, US New and World Report, GQ, Vanity Fair, Elle, Fox News, NY Daily News, NY Magazine, Mashable, MSNBC, Time Magazine, Washington Post, NBC News...etc. etc. etc.

Trump used it as a way to marginalize Rubio.  Just like the false statements Trump said about Cruz's father "was with Lee Harvey Oswald" before the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.  Once the rumor was out there Rupert Murdoch and his fake news service took off with it, thus marginalizing another one of Trump's rivals. It was his campaign strategy. Very effective.

6 hours ago, Cali said:

Trump used it as a way to marginalize Rubio.  Just like the false statements Trump said about Cruz's father "was with Lee Harvey Oswald" before the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.  Once the rumor was out there Rupert Murdoch and his fake news service took off with it, thus marginalizing another one of Trump's rivals. It was his campaign strategy. Very effective.

It wasn't just Trump. Had many a local call him a closet stalker, pro LGBT (a no no for a true conservative) and flat out F-in weird. 

I not saying Cruz was a saint, all I am saying is that Trump has a history of using unreliable sources (in Cruz case the National Enquirer) to marginalize his rivals. This was just another example.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/trump-defends-oswald-claim/

Now if we can only get WikiLeaks to find (if they haven't already) and release Trumps tax returns......

Edited by Cali

11 minutes ago, Cali said:

Now if we can only get WikiLeaks to find (if they haven't already) and release Trumps tax returns......

Cali, President Trump has released his tax returns.  You can find them under President Obama's Birth Certificate and college transcripts.

Come now, Donald Trump was not the reason for Rubio's getting such a hard time about wearing heeled boots. Trump may have made some smirking, snide comments but that was nothing his competitors weren't doing as well, nor the mainstream media for that matter. The Washington Post and New York Times are hardly Trump mouthpieces. Rubio's heels were seen as a matter for mirth by a conservative and censorious American public.

I am no fan of Trump's but, geez, you can't blame him for everything.

Edited by Shyheels
1 person likes this

My point is other than the news, I never heard anyone in a personal discussion mention it. I think various news companies were trying to make something of it, but it really did not go anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Pumped said:

My point is other than the news, I never heard anyone in a personal discussion mention it. I think various news companies were trying to make something of it, but it really did not go anywhere.

Neither did Rubio