Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

THat's how they make snakes and crocodiles look ridiculously huge in those tabloid photos: Get a reasonably large snake or croc, have a guy stand in the background, holding up the tail then get down low, in front of the head, with a 16mm lens and you can make it look thirty feet long.

Edited by Shyheels
  • Haha 1

On 11/27/2022 at 4:12 PM, Mr. X said:

Unfortunately, Men in Heels is not going to gain any steam or traction, until we see plenty of regular joe's wearing regular heels in places like Home Depot.

Exactly

On 12/7/2022 at 12:54 PM, LondnBootMan said:

Those asos boots look great, would love to try a pair someday

On 8/17/2022 at 5:54 AM, mlroseplant said:

Oh I don't know, I think it all depends on the person. Personally, if for some reason I couldn't wear heels anymore, I wouldn't even bother with the mental energy it takes to be a bit different. I actually bought some gals' flat sandals a few months ago. I haven't worn them once. I have no idea why I bought them. I'm kind of a big believer in the "high heel gene." Either you have it, or you don't.

I have often wondered about this indeed!  Is my love of high heel boots something I was born/hardwired with, or something I "learned" over time.  I still remember being drawn to my sister's red go go boots when I was just a little kid, wore them every chance I got when home alone.  Oh well, guess it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

I fancied a pair of white go-go boots as a child, envying the ones I saw being worn by a pretty red haired girl in my class. I liked the styling - as simple as that. Oddly enough at the time, I was at first unaware that such boots were not meant for me - and although I was mortified once I found out, to realise that I’d been wanting a pair of girls boots, I was also resentful that such a useless and arbitrary taboo existed.

Im sure the fact that wearing tall boots and heels is taboo adds something to the appeal, or provides some other level of satisfaction, the big draw for me as always been the aesthetic, the cavalier styling.

• Like 2

It just so happens that a member who was formerly quite active on this forum gifted me a pair of low heeled knee high boots. I have never worn them. I suppose I ought to try them, just to see if they get public reactions in the way that my high heeled boots get. It would obviously be a very unscientific test, and probably not a very informative one, but it might be fun!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I fancied a pair of white go-go boots as a child, envying the ones I saw being worn by a pretty red haired girl in my class. I liked the styling - as simple as that. Oddly enough at the time, I was at first unaware that such boots were not meant for me - and although I was mortified once I found out, to realise that I’d been wanting a pair of girls boots, I was also resentful that such a useless and arbitrary taboo existed.

Im sure the fact that wearing tall boots and heels is taboo adds something to the appeal, or provides some other level of satisfaction, the big draw for me as always been the aesthetic, the cavalier styling.

Same here, I remember "Pia", a fourth grade classmate, and her amazing black boots.  Our teacher also had a great pair of black knee high boots.  

• Like 2

It was Lori in my case. Seventh grade. Very pretty. I liked her and envied her boots. Wanted a pair myself and actually didn’t grasp that I couldn’t or wasn’t supposed to have such boots. My confusion is more understandable when you realise that this was about 1970 when fashion gender boundaries were blurring and guys were wearing platforms so tall white go go boots didn’t seem that out of bounds - or so I thought. I was mortified to discover I’d been wanting girl boots and relieved that I’d cottoned on in time 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

It was Lori in my case. Seventh grade. Very pretty. I liked her and envied her boots. Wanted a pair myself and actually didn’t grasp that I couldn’t or wasn’t supposed to have such boots. My confusion is more understandable when you realise that this was about 1970 when fashion gender boundaries were blurring and guys were wearing platforms so tall white go go boots didn’t seem that out of bounds - or so I thought. I was mortified to discover I’d been wanting girl boots and relieved that I’d cottoned on in time 

I had the same desires indeed, but kept all this bottled up inside for far too many years, until I found this place!

• Like 2

My liking of tall boots was about fashion and aesthetics and nothing else but such is the strength of the taboo about heels that I was far too self conscious to dare buy a pair. What a waste. Now I quite happily have a dozen pair and wear them routinely 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 1:12 PM, Mr. X said:

Unfortunately, Men in Heels is not going to gain any steam or traction, until we see plenty of regular joe's wearing regular heels in places like Home Depot.

I can only do my part. I've carried 2 by 4's to the cash register in stilettos, but when it comes to heavy bags (concrete, stucco, ...) I prefer block heels.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cali said:

I can only do my part. I've carried 2 by 4's to the cash register in stilettos, but when it comes to heavy bags (concrete, stucco, ...) I prefer block heels.

You are doing more than your part indeed.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

It just so happens that a member who was formerly quite active on this forum gifted me a pair of low heeled knee high boots. I have never worn them. I suppose I ought to try them, just to see if they get public reactions in the way that my high heeled boots get. It would obviously be a very unscientific test, and probably not a very informative one, but it might be fun!

Wear them on the outside of your pants and see what happens.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Cali said:

Wear them on the outside of your pants and see what happens.

17 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Yes, definitely on the outside of your jeans 

I guess I did not specify that is what I meant. I have noticed that as of late, it also seems to be acceptable to wear ankle and half calf boots on the outside of your pants now. Done wrong, it looks rather silly, but I've seen it. Much as skinny jeans and stretch pants seem to keep making those lists of fashion items that "need to go," I do not see the skinny jean disappearing anytime soon. I own very few pairs of pants where it would even be possible to get the legs over knee highs.

• Like 2

Skinny and super skinny jeans ain’t going nowhere. It’s a poor trend, happily my calf muscles are now slim enough I can fit into them. Alas, I feel restricted and constrained in them. I’m happy with slim or taper jeans and heels under them. Looks classier and more masculine.

I can report back that recently, when out and about for the Christmas season, there have been a few men out and about in low 1-2 inch Chelsea Boots. The amount of women out and about in heels is increasing here. Maybe not the high 4 inch plus there’s a few of them, but 2.5-3.5 inch range is decently pleasing. All mostly block heels, not many stiletto heels. Lots of boots, not many sandals or pumps though.

Cant wait to get out into the New Year sales in some heels. I hope 2023 is the year I get to wear my heels more often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VirginHeels said:

I can report back that recently, when out and about for the Christmas season, there have been a few men out and about in low 1-2 inch Chelsea Boots.

What's unusual about that?   1" heels are effectively FLAT, and 2" by no means 'high'.

The Business Of Fashion is basically the Wall Street Journal of the fashion industry.  Regardless of how compromised it's journalistic integrity is by donors, this article I think holds enough truth to be shared.

"The Year Ahead: Gender-Fluid Fashion Hits the High Street.  Gender-fluid fashion will gain greater traction in mainstream markets as brands and retailers reflect changing consumer attitudes towards gender, propelled by Gen-Z. Shifts will materialise in product design and marketing along with in-store and online shopping."

According to research conducted by fintech company Klarna, around 50 percent of Gen-Z globally have purchased fashion outside of their gender identity, and around 70 percent of consumers say they are interested in buying gender-fluid fashion in the future, with younger generations leading the way.

Another survey found that Gen-Z respondents under 20 years of age are more likely to buy products that were not designed specifically for their gender, with 56 percent of the cohort stating they buy clothing that is not classified by gender at all. This viewpoint will likely become more prominent in the market given that Gen-Z will soon become the largest cohort of consumers globally. (In the US, Millennials outnumbered Baby Boomers in 2019; Gen-Z consumers are expected to surpass Millennials in 2036.)

In fashion capitals, some labels have explored gendered expectations in their recent casting and styling of runway shows: Raf Simons styled male models in dresses and nail polish, while Maison Margiela sent male and female models down the Paris runway in skirts and high-cut boots. Meanwhile in New York, emerging labels like Private Policy and Eckhaus Latta present gender-fluid collections each season with a diverse cast of models. The shift can also be seen in footwear: Christian Louboutin has released a capsule collection featuring high-heeled boots in men’s sizes.

https://archive.ph/iqvFM

Link to Christian Louboutin "Yoz the Lips" 70mm high heel boot for men.  Only $1895, lol.

Edited by kneehighs

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I see what you, and they, are saying and there is certainly truth in it. There is a far greater degree of awareness of - and tolerance of - gender fluidity today than there was even just a few years ago. But much of the gender fluid fashions are aimed specifically at those in the Alphabet spectrum. While the younger generations may be quite tolerant of gender fluidity, and the endless permutations that people identify with these day, the Alphabet folk are still not a group they - as a whole - personally identify with.

Where gender fluid fashion isn’t aimed at the Alphabet folks, it is all too often drearily neutral, studiously avoiding anything that could pin it to either side of the fence. It tends to be neither fish nor fowl, but rather uniform and uninteresting.

The opportunities for the Alphabet folk are there, undoubtedly. And that’s great - for them. But the marketers and fashion writers need to be aware of the broader market and make a point of telling regular guys that these new gender fluid fashions are for them too. That means presenting them in ways that will seem accessible. Nearly all the fashion articles one reads in mainstream media wax lyrical about the new openness and tolerance for the LGBTQ+ folks without ever mentioning the vast bulk of men who are paralysed by tradition and unlikely to budge without some clever salesmanship. And that is utterly lacking.

Doesn't matter who it's aimed at. GenZ is buying. And the % is far greater than if it was just LGBTQ.  I don't think GenZ and Millennials care as much about association with the LGBTQ population as GenX or Boomers do. 

According to research conducted by fintech company Klarna, around 50 percent of Gen-Z globally have purchased fashion outside of their gender identity, and around 70 percent of consumers say they are interested in buying gender-fluid fashion in the future, with younger generations leading the way.

Another survey found that Gen-Z respondents under 20 years of age are more likely to buy products that were not designed specifically for their gender, with 56 percent of the cohort stating they buy clothing that is not classified by gender at all. This viewpoint will likely become more prominent in the market given that Gen-Z will soon become the largest cohort of consumers globally. (In the US, Millennials outnumbered Baby Boomers in 2019; Gen-Z consumers are expected to surpass Millennials in 2036.)

6 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Link to Christian Louboutin "Yoz the Lips" 70mm high heel boot for men.  Only $1895, lol.

I need to go and buy these for only $1895 before they are sold out. (NOT)

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Where gender fluid fashion isn’t aimed at the Alphabet folks, it is all too often drearily neutral, studiously avoiding anything that could pin it to either side of the fence. It tends to be neither fish nor fowl, but rather uniform and uninteresting.

The opportunities for the Alphabet folk are there, undoubtedly. And that’s great - for them. But the marketers and fashion writers need to be aware of the broader market and make a point of telling regular guys that these new gender fluid fashions are for them too. That means presenting them in ways that will seem accessible. Nearly all the fashion articles one reads in mainstream media wax lyrical about the new openness and tolerance for the LGBTQ+ folks without ever mentioning the vast bulk of men who are paralysed by tradition and unlikely to budge without some clever salesmanship. And that is utterly lacking.

If you want it to be come more mainstream, then you have to be part of the movement.  You need to have the courage to be a leader in the change; early adapter?  You can't sit on the sideline and wait.

I have purchased many non-conforming items (other than heels) and have been surprised by the men that have asked me where I got the item because they want one too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure tou have purchased many non-conformist items over the years, and I've got a collection of knee and OTK boots in my wardrobe, and its all very well to say that you have to be the change you want to see - there's truth in that - but it is equally true that any efforts you or I or any of us make to change the status quo is undermined by the marketers and fashion columnists who continually reinforce the idea that the new gender fluidity in fashion is only for a particular narrow segment of society.

Sure, guys may secretlywish they had more freedom - or wish that they dared to exercise the freedom they already have - but having somebody compliment you on your daring and imply they wish they could do it too, is never going to anount to much unless there is a  broad sense that it is okay to do so. You or I might make a great example of a guy who dares to wear knee boots or heels, but we're always going to be outlyers in the minds of the vast majority to whose opinions are ultimately shaped by the media in their lioves.   

8 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Doesn't matter who it's aimed at. GenZ is buying. And the % is far greater than if it was just LGBTQ.  I don't think GenZ and Millennials care as much about association with the LGBTQ population as GenX or Boomers do. 

I think those members of GenZ who are following fashion trends and fashion influencers on IG and Tik-Tok are a fairly self-selected group and are not indicative of the broader population who are born within those bracketed dates.

13 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Maybe I can find someone well-versed in cryptography who can decode all this into something that makes sense to someone who is from GenOldGit.

More seriously, all these labelled factions merely demonstrate to me that the world has become increasily divided - and divisive.   I'm not sure where I belong to it any more - if anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My observations here in Middle America, while not at all scientific, are that yes, change is happening, but it's not any sort of hard line like Millenial vs. Gen Zed. What I have noticed as of late, and again this is merely anecdotal, is that girls in the age range of 14-21 seem not to be shy about approaching me, a relative old man, and engaging me about my fashion choices. This is something new, and it's happened too many times to be random chance. Not so much with the boys. Then again, boys in general don't care much about fashion and such nonsense. I know I didn't at that age. I might have cared a lot more if I'd been allowed to wear heels!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

My observations here in Middle America, while not at all scientific, are that yes, change is happening, but it's not any sort of hard line like Millenial vs. Gen Zed. What I have noticed as of late, and again this is merely anecdotal, is that girls in the age range of 14-21 seem not to be shy about approaching me, a relative old man, and engaging me about my fashion choices. This is something new, and it's happened too many times to be random chance. Not so much with the boys. Then again, boys in general don't care much about fashion and such nonsense. I know I didn't at that age. I might have cared a lot more if I'd been allowed to wear heels!

Age range of 14-21 is GenZ.  😀

PewResearchGENERATIONS.jpg

1 hour ago, kneehighs said:

After rereading my post, it does seem rather self-contradictory. It wasn't meant to be. What I really meant to say is that all age groups seem more accepting than they did 10 years ago, including the dreaded Boomers, I don't see a hard generational line there. On the other side of the fence,  the Gen Zed folks include those who have asked my 13 year old why his dad wears "booty" shorts and heels in a somewhat derisive manner. My point is, Gen Zed it not at all a homogeneous group, any more than any other age group is. In my own defense, wouldn't I have to actually have a booty in order to call them booty shorts? Mine fell off a long time ago.

I meant it to be a completely separate thought and observation that it has been my personal experience in the last few months to have been approached by total strangers who happen to be younger girls.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

After rereading my post, it does seem rather self-contradictory. It wasn't meant to be. What I really meant to say is that all age groups seem more accepting than they did 10 years ago, including the dreaded Boomers, I don't see a hard generational line there. On the other side of the fence,  the Gen Zed folks include those who have asked my 13 year old why his dad wears "booty" shorts and heels in a somewhat derisive manner. My point is, Gen Zed it not at all a homogeneous group, any more than any other age group is. In my own defense, wouldn't I have to actually have a booty in order to call them booty shorts? Mine fell off a long time ago.

I meant it to be a completely separate thought and observation that it has been my personal experience in the last few months to have been approached by total strangers who happen to be younger girls.

Agreed. And thanks for the clarification.