Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

On 11/25/2022 at 4:37 PM, Shyheels said:

Mainstream media is not promoting men in heels.

Men in heels is either clickbait - with the most bizarre examples being put forth - or else the storylines associated with these articles are praising this new-found supposed gender fluidioty for those in the Alphabet spectrum. They specifically do not include the average guy in the street. It's not an assumption on my part, it is often explicity stated in the articles, extolling how wonderful it is than trans people and the LBGTQ+ crowd are now being able to express themselves. And so it is, but like it or not the average man on the street does not identify with that crowd and the relentless asociation of heels and LBGTQ+ crowd makes it much less likely that the rank-and-file are going to be open to wearing heels themselves.

....snip...

Agreed, mainstream media as a general rule isn't promoting straight men in heels.  Social media, however, is promoting men in heels.  Whether geared towards the alphabet spectrum or not, I believe is irrelevant.  Gen-Z and millennials experience association with the alphabet spectrum much differently than Silent, Baby Boomer, or Gen-X even.  The social stigma, or loss of status is minimized. 

Further, whether one labels it propaganda, fake news,  or story telling, it doesn't matter.  Social media is a profoundly influential experience for Gen-Z and Millennials.  Social Media influences human behavior on a profound level--think Donald Trump. 

I agree with all your other points. 

• Like 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

This back and forth between tradition and 'progressive' is exactly my biggest issue. I am not playing a game, and I really don't want to be seen as a proponent of either worldview, and when I see models, actors, musical artists and 'influencers' playing the gender-bender game, I become even more wary of the future, and a little disappointed, as I don't think that world is doing a single bit of good for people who just want to live. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bambam said:

This back and forth between tradition and 'progressive' is exactly my biggest issue. I am not playing a game, and I really don't want to be seen as a proponent of either worldview, and when I see models, actors, musical artists and 'influencers' playing the gender-bender game, I become even more wary of the future, and a little disappointed, as I don't think that world is doing a single bit of good for people who just want to live. 

Well said but just two sentences?

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

I’m a writer. I prefer short sentences. But there are times when the flow of a longer supposedly run-on sentence just works better

I quite agree; there are many occasions where the thrust is lost if interrupted by a re-start.   And the semi-colon [see previous sentence] deserves greater use to allow connected thoughts to flow as one.

That said, I can think of two eminent men whose preference for short, sharp sentences was very effective in getting their points across:   Field Marshal Montgomery (particularly when addressing his troops before a battle), and Lord Denning (in his judgments).

The ultimate for brevity in communications goes to General Sir Charles Napier who was ordered to keep away the Indian province of Sind during the wars in the 1840s on the grounds that it would be too risky to try to capture it. He believed otherwise, disobeyed his orders and captured the province easily. He wired his superiors a one word telegram: Peccavi.

it was a witty pun in Latin. Peccavi, you see, means “I have sinned” 

or also, in his case, I have Sind. Geddit?

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 4:12 PM, Mr. X said:

Unfortunately, Men in Heels is not going to gain any steam or traction, until we see plenty of regular joe's wearing regular heels in places like Home Depot.

you are so right.....

Did anyone see Lenny Kravitz on last night's rock and roll hall of fame show?  Lenny does a great job promoting regular guys wearing heels, and he looked great.  Even Lionel Richie was rocking some ankle boots with mild heels.

pictures of lenny kravitz at rock and roll hall of fame induction - Google Search

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, pebblesf said:

you are so right.....

Did anyone see Lenny Kravitz on last night's rock and roll hall of fame show?  Lenny does a great job promoting regular guys wearing heels, and he looked great.  Even Lionel Richie was rocking some ankle boots with mild heels.

pictures of lenny kravitz at rock and roll hall of fame induction - Google Search

I'm not sure what you mean by 'regular' here.   (In the UK, someone who is 'regular' has predictable bowel movements!)   From what I can see of Lenny Kravitz, his overall appearance is far from conventional/normal/regular and the inclusion of heels merely strengthens the prejudice against men wearing them.   I cringed when I saw his outfit.

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'regular' here.   (In the UK, someone who is 'regular' has predictable bowel movements!)   From what I can see of Lenny Kravitz, his overall appearance is far from conventional/normal/regular and the inclusion of heels merely strengthens the prejudice against men wearing them.   I cringed when I saw his outfit.

Oh well, didn't quite know what the outfit was.  But, he was not trying to hide/disguise his masculinity and was in great boots.  I guess what I meant was that when "regular guys" see LK wearing boots, it helps normalize boots for guys in general.  The boots were not outrageous, and Lenny is a rock star that many guys can relate to/appreciate.  

• Thanks 1

If you said someone was “a regular guy” over here it would be understood to mean exactly what it does in the US - an everyday, rank and file sort of person.

“Regularity” is a term used to describe the frequency of bowl movements - and us a term used on both sides of the Atlantic.

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

If you said someone was “a regular guy” over here it would be understood to mean exactly what it does in the US - an everyday, rank and file sort of person.

“Regularity” is a term used to describe the frequency of bowl movements - and us a term used on both sides of the Atlantic.

The US use of 'regular' to mean ordinary, standard etc may be understood by many in the UK but it is not in common use, at least outside McDonalds etc (when purchasing a drink) or for some clothing sizes.   

And I think (hope) you mean 'bowel', not 'bowl'!   Some years ago, the local newspaper reporting a flower show said that a prize winner was awarded the 'Ethel Snooks Memorial Bowel' as a trophy.   It conjured up the image of something unpleasant preserved in a jar of formaldehyde!   And I also recall that Kelloggs Corn Flakes was advertised on TV by showing a London bus driver wolfing down a full bowl (not bowel!) before going on duty.   London Transport was asked by one viewer if it would feed his local drivers on All Bran instead to make the service 'more regular'.

• Like 1

Haven't posted on here for a while - interesting conversation so far. Tend to agree with both sides in a way.

Now regarding views expressed by ASOS range my opinion is that at least a mainstream retailer has started to feature men’s heeled boots. This must be positive. There are other outlets but it can be very, very hard to find them and as others said very expensive as its a niche but growing market.

Regarding the types of heels, I hear the views expressed, and there are some which I don't like but I do have a couple of real leather ankle boots which are perfect and very happy with. I've had many comments from both men and women that they like my ASOS boots.  (And especially my leather knee and crotch highs that were custom made as I've got wide feet).

Speaking again personally I like block heels and all my heels are blocks but again there are people here who much prefer a stiletto heel. I'm not promoting or endorsing ASOS here but merely as an individual ASOS did have one single pair of mens stiletto ankle boots https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-heeled-boots-in-black-stretchy-leather/prd/202004069?clr=black&colourWayId=202004084&cid=5774 . I'm not endorsing the product but merely from observations this product has sold well as all the bigger sizes associated with men’s have sold out and the current listing is a restock and again they have almost sold out. ASOS could do better by listing articles better for example men’s knee high comes up with one chunky boot but there is a sole knee high listed under heeled. I do think they should have a unisex section as shoes are shoes.

There is a 'growing' market for heels but as @Shyheels mentioned above the overall market still would be small for men’s heels but atleast it is growing in traction. I do agree that the media will focus on some celebrity and make a mockery but we are laying the foundations for the next generation. Take for example body piercings. I got my nose pierced (and others above the waist) years and years ago when it was hipster for the brave because I really liked it and still wear them today but now far more (younger) men have their noses pierced and nobody says anything adverse as its now considered normal. Heels will take more time to become standard kit for men but I do think they will break through. I love wearing my heels in London and when travelling around other parts of the UK and never got any adverse reaction but only positive comments.

• Like 3

On 12/4/2022 at 7:06 PM, Shyheels said:

I was watching the Blues Brothers the other day and noticed that John Lee Hooker was wearing what appeared to be three inch heels while playing Boom Boom outside Aretha Franklins diner

• Like 2

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

!Nevertheless, Lenny Kravitz is not a regular guy, any more than David Bowie was, or Prince was.

True, I meant that he might appeal or be appreciated by "regular guys".   Sorry for stirring up so much controversy!

3 hours ago, LondnBootMan said:

Now regarding views expressed by ASOS range my opinion is that at least a mainstream retailer has started to feature men’s heeled boots. This must be positive. There are other outlets but it can be very, very hard to find them and as others said very expensive as its a niche but growing market.

Regarding the types of heels, I hear the views expressed, and there are some which I don't like but I do have a couple of real leather ankle boots which are perfect and very happy with. I've had many comments from both men and women that they like my ASOS boots.  (And especially my leather knee and crotch highs that were custom made as I've got wide feet).

I got my nose pierced (and others above the waist) years and years ago when it was hipster for the brave because I really liked it and still wear them today but now far more (younger) men have their noses pierced and nobody says anything adverse as its now considered normal. Heels will take more time to become standard kit for men but I do think they will break through. I love wearing my heels in London and when travelling around other parts of the UK and never got any adverse reaction but only positive comments.

I agree with nearly everything you say.   But I would differ regarding certain elements of appearance such as piercings and tattoos.   They may well be 'normal' (i.e. unexceptional, commonplace even) for men nowadays but that does not make them automatically considered attractive or accepted by the world at large.   I do agree with your implication that 'heels for men' will become more mainstream and more acceptable - and of course they are not permanent 'fixtures', unlike the body adornments that some find unattractive.

As a matter of interest, which ASOS boots do you have?   And what is your shoe size?

1 hour ago, pebblesf said:

True, I meant that he might appeal or be appreciated by "regular guys".   Sorry for stirring up so much controversy!

No apology needed.   Your clarification is appreciated - as are your invariably positive and constructive posts.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 3:17 PM, Puffer said:

As a matter of interest, which ASOS boots do you have?   And what is your shoe size?

My shoe size varies but normally is 10 (euro 44).

These are the two ASOS boots I have:

https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-heeled-chelsea-boots-with-pointed-toe-in-black-leather/prd/202294042?clr=black&colourWayId=202294043&cid=5774

https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-heeled-chelsea-boot-with-angled-heel-in-black-leather-with-natural-sole/prd/202829769?clr=black&colourWayId=202829770&cid=5774

The heels on both are a very comfortable 3inch and can wear them all day long with no issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Both nice looking boots, very presentable, altough the photography is a bit weird - someone's used a wide angle lens making them look very large in comparison with the legs of the person modelling them. The second one looks like it ought to be a size 17...

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Both nice looking boots, very presentable, altough the photography is a bit weird - someone's used a wide angle lens making them look very large in comparison with the legs of the person modelling them. The second one looks like it ought to be a size 17...

So that's how you do that! I'll have to try it sometime. Oh yeah, I forgot. I don't have a real camera anymore. :penitent: