Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

On 1/6/2020 at 3:11 PM, Cali said:

From last night's Golden Globes, Bill Porter on the red carpet...nice boots.

Billy Porter was on Good Morning America, last Friday. He was definitely wearing heels. Red patent 2-3" block heels. Even though he was seated at the desk you could see his heels under it. Any one else catch the show?

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

On 1/11/2020 at 6:56 PM, Bubba136 said:

“nzfreestyler

Thanks Bubba. I think it's two different people.  If he's a member here, his posts are probably full of valuable content.

Former head designer of Yves Saint Laurent, Italian fashion designer Stefano Pilate started his line RANDOM IDENTITIES through Instagram.  Here's Vogue.com's coverage of his recent release at the Pitti Uomo menswear shows.   All looks had heels.

https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/stefano-pilati-random-identities-pitti-uomo

• Like 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

12 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Thanks Bubba. I think it's two different people.  If he's a member here, his posts are probably full of valuable content.

Former head designer of Yves Saint Laurent, Italian fashion designer Stefano Pilate started his line RANDOM IDENTITIES through Instagram.  Here's Vogue.com's coverage of his recent release at the Pitti Uomo menswear shows.   All looks had heels.

https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/stefano-pilati-random-identities-pitti-uomo

This is good stuff, and really appeals to things I like!  Belted blazers, coats, boots, etc.

• Like 1

You sure about that?  To me it doesn't look like they are the same people.

Oops. I missed a few replies here.  I don't thing that is nzfreestyler

Edited by RonC

4 hours ago, Pumped said:

Definitely two different people. I talk to Mark fairly often on another group. He loves heels and id an avid, full time skirt wearer.

https://www.pinterest.com/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/

Maybe invite him over here for an Ask Me Anything (AMA)?  He could contribute value without necessarily committing to a long term membership.  I'm sure people here could learn from his experiences....

For those interested, ETRO had a few New England style prep menswear looks with knee high riding boots

https://nowfashion.com/etro-menswear-fall-winter-2020-milan-29003

Knee high riding boots were also on Dolce and Gabbana

https://nowfashion.com/dolce-gabbana-menswear-fall-winter-2020-milan-28973/shots/1404065

• Like 1

I just don’t get why they would put shoes or boots out on males.  I know absolutely no one male or female who would wear those or even where you would wear those.  With fashion shows showing crap like that we males will never get any acceptance. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kneehighs said:

For those interested, ETRO had a few New England style prep menswear looks with knee high riding boots

https://nowfashion.com/etro-menswear-fall-winter-2020-milan-29003

Knee high riding boots were also on Dolce and Gabbana

https://nowfashion.com/dolce-gabbana-menswear-fall-winter-2020-milan-28973/shots/1404065

I like the knee-high riding boots. I've got 4-5, if I could just get around to shooting photos. 

• Like 2

Rick is pretty avant-garde, but in those circles so many people really wear Rick Owens pieces that people have started getting tired of it lol.  Given the kind of cult following Rick has in designer male fashion, I think this hints that broader acceptance of men in heels is trending.  

I like Dries Van Noten’s FW20 Collection too - belted blazers, tall lace-up boots, furs, broaches, evening gloves - seems like men’s fashion is finally beginning to not be so afraid of feminine association.  
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2020-menswear/dries-van-noten/slideshow/collection#3

Edited by p1ng74

Jared Leto in heels at the Gucci show for Milan Men's Fashion Week.  Check out his brooch!

People might not like his style which was specific for the Gucci show.  But check out Gucci's financial performance relative to the fashion industry.  It makes heels for men sustainable.

Article courtesy of Christian Allaire for Vogue.com

https://www.vogue.com/vogueworld/article/jared-leto-gucci-front-row-milan-fashion-week-heels

Gucci's designer, who has worked for Gucci for 5 years now and symbolizes Gucci's financial ascent, remarked, "Childhood means romanticism and this is missing in today's aggressive phallocratic society. If every one of us would free his feminine side everything would be easier and happier." source

GettyImages-1199468959.jpg

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Rick is pretty avant-garde, but in those circles so many people really wear Rick Owens pieces that people have started getting tired of it lol.  Given the kind of cult following Rick has in designer male fashion, I think this hints that broader acceptance of men in heels is trending.  

I like Dries Van Noten’s FW20 Collection too - belted blazers, tall lace-up boots, furs, broaches, evening gloves - seems like men’s fashion is finally beginning to not be so afraid of feminine association.  
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2020-menswear/dries-van-noten/slideshow/collection#3

Van Noten showing a lot of platform boots as well. 

• Like 1

Not seeing much I like, though the Jared Leto boots were pretty decent.  The huge clunky platform stuff is just that - huge and clunky - and not appealing on most any level.  And the knee high riding boots leave me cold.  If they had a heel of some substance I could see it, but otherwise I personally see no appeal.  Just my take on things.  

Edited by RonC

36 minutes ago, RonC said:

Not seeing much I like, though the Jared Leto boots were pretty decent.  The huge clunky platform stuff is just that - huge and clunky - and not appealing on most any level.  And the knee high riding boots leave me cold.  If they had a heel of some substance I could see it, but otherwise I personally see no appeal.  Just my take on things.  

There might not be much to like about the overall looks. And certainly much has been taken from women's causal looks with the cross-cross,  "slashes", and one shoulder styles.  But with so many designers showing heels and boots this might catch on.  Showing styles with  boots outside pants, no matter how high the heels is, makes it more "mainstream" for me to wear my Jessica Simpson stiletto boots outside my skinny jeans.

I like to think of it as the fashion industry is following my lead.  When will they catch up to the 4 inch stiletto look? :giggle:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cali said:

There might not be much to like about the overall looks. And certainly much has been taken from women's causal looks with the cross-cross,  "slashes", and one shoulder styles.  But with so many designers showing heels and boots this might catch on.  Showing styles with  boots outside pants, no matter how high the heels is, makes it more "mainstream" for me to wear my Jessica Simpson stiletto boots outside my skinny jeans.

I like to think of it as the fashion industry is following my lead.  When will they catch up to the 4 inch stiletto look? :giggle:

Exactly!  I see this on the runway

_ALE0108.jpg

and think... belted blazer, aviator cap, this is what I've already been wearing the whole time!

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, kneehighs said:

Shout out to the designer Laurentin Cosmos, who actually has "skin in the game".  

http://90c515c419.testurl.ws/laurentin/

You are so right, this man has done a lot to help men wearing heels in the direction of "mainstream"....  Sure wish I could pull it off so well....

23 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Exactly!  I see this on the runway

_ALE0108.jpg

and think... belted blazer, aviator cap, this is what I've already been wearing the whole time!

Love the black jeans and great Paul Bonds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@p1ng74 Just browsed through r/malefashion

The number of pics of men in heels is remarkable.  

It's more widespread than my previous biases assumed.

Wow.

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, kneehighs said:

@p1ng74 Just browsed through r/malefashion

The number of pics of men in heels is remarkable.  

It's more widespread than my previous biases assumed.

Wow.

Boy, he looks great....A regular guy, being a guy, in great heels!

• Like 1

Wow, I'm as bullish on heels for men and gender fluid expression as I am on margined longs on bitcoin.  Reversals are always possible. 

Some words from Vogue.com's Sarah Mower's review of the Dior Menswear show (necklace from Dior show on pic below).  She's widely regarded as an authority on fashion, "What if the 2020s are a time when it becomes completely anachronistic to think of clothes and fabrics being assigned by gender? There’s a creative generation now in power at the very top of fashion that sees none of those old boundaries.

_ALE0165.jpg

Then I stumbled upon Emily Farra's article in Vogue titled, "Will These Boundary-Pushing Men’s Looks End Up on the Oscars Red Carpet?"  In it she states, "It’s the first time the major men’s collections have merited words like beautiful, lush, and even feminine, to the degree that calling it “menswear” feels kind of regressive"

Then I read Christian Allaire's article, "Valentino Continues the Bold Men’s Beauty Movement" (photo below).  Guido Palau, one of the most influential hair stylists in the world designed the looks.  Allaire commented, "The dainty addition of flora in the hair—more of a hint versus a full-on Coachella flower crown—proved to be refreshingly unexpected for a men’s show, which tends to veer towards neat hair and clean complexions. The creative spirit falls in line with the bold beauty movement that men in Hollywood have been embracing on the red carpet lately; stars such as Ansel Elgort and Ezra Miller have been pushing boundaries and experimenting with high-octane makeup on the step and repeat, while musicians Lil Nas X and Harry Styles have favored statement manicures."

80831652_560327991188536_101088956725176

Then I looked up Vetements.  How could I forget them?  Thigh high boots worn outside pants for many men.

_FIO0021.jpg

I don't know if all the collective activity above are enough to create a Tipping Point of mass adoption (probably not).  But the cumulative effects will build.  Given 15-19 years ago we all dreamed of a society like we have now I'm super grateful for all this change.  Let's see what will happen next!

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 3