Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

31 minutes ago, HappyinHeels said:

Mexican-made shoes are something of a rarity in the USA. These shoes are better quality than the stuff in China and and seem to fit well. 

I think there is an exception to this - cowboy boots.  A majority of mid-range boots and even substantial high end boots are made in Mexico, as they are known for exceptional craftsmanship and materials but lower cost than domestic.  The junk from China can’t hold a candle to Mexican made boots. 

• Like 1

Several of my Steve Madden and FreeBird heels come from Mexico or Spain. I wish Cathy Jean was still around, their South American (Argentina) made shoes feature real materials, always had great services at their store.

• Like 2

You're right. I simply overlooked this as I have never bought or even looked for cowboy boots from Mexico. I was even in Leon, Guanajuato two years ago which is the centre of that industry. I should be kicked...with a cowboy boot for the omission. :cheeky: HinH

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Found this guy Patrick Mason last night on my Instagram explorer "feed": (still boggles my mind how well Instagram co-opted the vocabulary of a drug addict to describe it's basic functions: insta (hit), gram (cocaine), feed (heroine) etc

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 4

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

American Vogue, the most powerful name in global luxury fashion, once again takes a decisively pro heels for men position.

"One of the most exhilarating menswear trends of the moment is all about securing those extra few inches..."

Written by Christian Allaire.   "finding a label with a wide range of sizes of men’s heels continues to be challenging—Smith himself even admitted to the struggle—but the market is slowly expanding. Maybe one day, as the singer suggested, we will finally see more men wearing them to the shops, thanks to more availability and options—and what a glorious day that will be."

https://twitter.com/voguemagazine/status/1144862214236643328

We have our evangelist at Vogue!

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cali said:

Next all we need to do is get Vogue to write a feature article about an everyday man in an everyday situation wearing his heels.

Would you sell White Castle to someone who buys Kobe Beef?  Would be nice if Vogue would write that, but audience wouldn't be into it.   

It does sound like an article The New York Times wrote in 2011. 

A Tall Tale, but True: Men in Heels By TRICIA ROMANO OCT. 14, 2011

33 minutes ago, Cali said:

Next all we need to do is get Vogue to write a feature article about an everyday man in an everyday situation wearing his heels.

This community here as HHP doesn’t NEED any help from Vogue it seems.  You all have been wearing heels years before Vogue even thought it was a good idea.  And you all already have your sources for procuring them.  The rest of the world, including fashion enthusiasts, are just finally getting on board.  And for those here that are still being shy about wearing heels still, now is the time to catch the wave it seems.  

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, kneehighs said:

Found this guy Patrick Mason last night on my Instagram explorer "feed": (still boggles my mind how well Instagram co-opted the vocabulary of a drug addict to describe it's basic functions: insta (hit), gram (cocaine), feed (heroine) etc

Masculine, powerful, and alluring, a great look indeed

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 7:06 AM, kneehighs said:

Found this guy Patrick Mason last night on my Instagram explorer "feed"

Thanks for putting the info on here. I am always on the lookout for guys in heels on there.

I wish I had those pink boots for the pride parade I am going to be in today!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Maybe it's just me, but I guess it seems to be a requirement that a shoe have a giant, thick heel, whether high or low, to be considered masculine. And the shoe had probably better be a boot.

I believe there are a few contributing factors to this.  First, there are still a lot of men who think the ideal masculine look involves baggy, rectangular clothes and big goose feet.  Second, boots are trending up anyway, and seem to be a vehicle for men to explore something different.  Chelsea boots are starting to bring in cowboy boot design features to people who would never buy real cowboy boots.  Seems to be just part of slow evolution of style.  Third, big chunky heels are a relatively “safe” unoriginal choice as it has a vintage-retro reference to the glam rock look.  

Most men play it very safe and are followers, not creators, when it comes to what they wear.  There are many here at HHP that are well beyond that.  

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, kneehighs said:

We have our evangelist at Vogue!

Christian Allaire is the freelance author of two pro heels for men articles that ran in Vogue US:

Men In Heels? I Put the Tricky Trend to the Test Feb. 26th 2019

Sam Smith Has Found the Perfect Brand for Men Who Rock Heels June 19th, 2019

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Maybe it's just me, but I guess it seems to be a requirement that a shoe have a giant, thick heel, whether high or low, to be considered masculine. And the shoe had probably better be a boot.

Stereotypes again.  Thin, skinny, dainty, vulnerable = stereotypes that apply to genetic females.  

6 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

5 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Christian Allaire is the freelance author of two pro heels for men articles that ran in Vogue US:

Men In Heels? I Put the Tricky Trend to the Test Feb. 26th 2019

Sam Smith Has Found the Perfect Brand for Men Who Rock Heels June 19th, 2019

Stereotypes again.  Thin, skinny, dainty, vulnerable = stereotypes that apply to genetic females.  

I don't understand it.   Sam Smith looks almost normal above the ankles - so where is the Frankenstein outfit that goes with those boots?   Do we really see footwear like that as the way to go; surely also a stereotype?

• Like 1

The only way to stop the stereotype is to break it. I wear chunky wooden heels, wedges, thin heels, thin block heels, ... Be a show case to show other men they too can wear heels of their liking, even if they are kitten heels.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I believe there are a few contributing factors to this.  First, there are still a lot of men who think the ideal masculine look involves baggy, rectangular clothes and big goose feet.  Second, boots are trending up anyway, and seem to be a vehicle for men to explore something different.  Chelsea boots are starting to bring in cowboy boot design features to people who would never buy real cowboy boots.  Seems to be just part of slow evolution of style.  Third, big chunky heels are a relatively “safe” unoriginal choice as it has a vintage-retro reference to the glam rock look.  

Most men play it very safe and are followers, not creators, when it comes to what they wear.  There are many here at HHP that are well beyond that.  

While I agree that those styles are seen as more masculine, I would be super-happy if it became more popular to wear chunky high heel boots, cowboy boots, or whatever, as it's still a step closer to high heel stilettos. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Puffer said:

I don't understand it.   Sam Smith looks almost normal above the ankles - so where is the Frankenstein outfit that goes with those boots?   Do we really see footwear like that as the way to go; surely also a stereotype?

Indeed. And a hideous stereotype.  Is it simply beyond the creative imagination of these people to think that men could wear heels, even high ones, subtly and with class? Or must it be grotesque overstatement? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hiddenheels said:

While I agree that those styles are seen as more masculine, I would be super-happy if it became more popular to wear chunky high heel boots, cowboy boots, or whatever, as it's still a step closer to high heel stilettos. 

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Indeed. And a hideous stereotype.  Is it simply beyond the creative imagination of these people to think that men could wear heels, even high ones, subtly and with class? Or must it be grotesque overstatement? 

Forget the heels for a moment.   What I find objectionable is clunky, ugly footwear of any type worn by anyone of any sex.   OK, thick platforms and heavy toe-boxes appeal to some - but they are rarely elegant.   

It may be wishful thinking that strappy stiletto sandals will be accepted as menswear any time soon, but orthopaedic boots are not the way ahead either.   If we look at what some of our more discerning members (such as p1ng74) favour, I see a glimmer of hope that wearable, good-looking heeled footwear will become more acceptable for men in an everyday context.

I certainly agree with you on the clunky, chunky ugly footwear worn by either sex. Everyone has their own tastes, but confining the notion of men in heels to the outer margins of fashion and idiosyncratic taste, forcing them to be some sort of confrontational, in-your-face declaration of gender bending, doesn't seem to me to be very productive - at least not if the goal is the acceptance that men can wear heels as a tasteful style choice, just as women do. Yes, I get the idea of smashing barriers and challenging assumptions and tearing down stereotypes,  but this doesn't need to be done from the rooftops. Often the best way forward is simply to forget the confrontation - just assume the style, wear it with panache and carry the day. That's what women did with trousers. They didn't go for zoot suits and clown wear, they wore what men were wearing and wore it well. And carried the day.  Men should do likewise

Edited by Shyheels

On 6/26/2019 at 3:13 AM, JeffB said:

I'm curious. Why did "men's heels" in that link equate to ridiculous platform "eff me" heels, none of which I would wear even in private, never mind in public? Where are the more sedate and tasteful shoes that don't look like junk strippers or streetwalkers would parade around in? Perhaps this is just me, but I see that as a cynical stereotype that doesn't help our small heeling community.

Umm, never see women wearing these, outside of a stripper bar? 

I see women wearing similar shoes fairly often, with a tasteful dress. My wife has similar shes she will wear out on a date, and she is a 58 year old mom. Your comment seems narrow minded.

I think his comment was perfectly reasonable and apt. I don’t know what part of town you live in but I seldom see women wearing anything like that. And if I was going to compile a list of narrow minded people, Jeff B’s would not exactly be the first name that would pop into mind...

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

I have to agree with @Pumped I see women in heels like that often. And @Jessika

just post a picture.  There are fetish heels, punishment heels, etc. but I would put those heels into that category. 

Edited by Cali

The heels Sam Smith is wearing, whilst not to my immediate liking, nevertheless are the latest evidence of an evolution in our world. We have, over the years, been exposed to and society has become used to, seeing tattoos on women, becoming informed and aware of the GLBTQ community worldwide, watched as greater freedoms have come to different races than ever before including the freedom to marry whom you want. Any one of these was controversial at the time, some more so than others and some more so in certain countries. But we all watched and listened and learned as our world evolved. There is still, I believe, a tendency to wait for some magic moment when someone somewhere will just declare "Okay, from this moment forward it is now "mainstream for men to wear high heels just like the women do." No legislature will ever undertake this and no proclamation will ever come. That Someone Somewhere is YOU looking back at you in the mirror. It's the voice inside you saying "you know what you need to do". Members like JeffB and Cali and kneehighs and so many others do not need a declaration or need to wait on anyone one as they have taken their cues from their own minds. They looked in the mirror and liked what they saw and moved forward from there. Look at what I have posted here. Really girly stuff worn with a variety of outfits but it pleases me greatly just like those boots on Sam Smith really please him. Both of us enjoying our lives and nobody gets hurt in the process. Members reading this may not choose Sam's style or my style but they cannot deny the world around us is evolving in ways where more people are being accepted for who they are in more places than ever before. The catalyst for this is what I call the rocket fuel inside us: CONFIDENCE. Find it, develop it, and use it to propel yourself toward the objective of enjoying your life and the opportunities it presents. HappyinHeels

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HappyinHeels said:

The heels Sam Smith is wearing, whilst not to my immediate liking, nevertheless are the latest evidence of an evolution in our world. We have, over the years, been exposed to and society has become used to, seeing tattoos on women, becoming informed and aware of the GLBTQ community worldwide, watched as greater freedoms have come to different races than ever before including the freedom to marry whom you want. Any one of these was controversial at the time, some more so than others and some more so in certain countries. But we all watched and listened and learned as our world evolved. There is still, I believe, a tendency to wait for some magic moment when someone somewhere will just declare "Okay, from this moment forward it is now "mainstream for men to wear high heels just like the women do." No legislature will ever undertake this and no proclamation will ever come. That Someone Somewhere is YOU looking back at you in the mirror. It's the voice inside you saying "you know what you need to do". Members like JeffB and Cali and kneehighs and so many others do not need a declaration or need to wait on anyone one as they have taken their cues from their own minds. They looked in the mirror and liked what they saw and moved forward from there. Look at what I have posted here. Really girly stuff worn with a variety of outfits but it pleases me greatly just like those boots on Sam Smith really please him. Both of us enjoying our lives and nobody gets hurt in the process. Members reading this may not choose Sam's style or my style but they cannot deny the world around us is evolving in ways where more people are being accepted for who they are in more places than ever before. The catalyst for this is what I call the rocket fuel inside us: CONFIDENCE. Find it, develop it, and use it to propel yourself toward the objective of enjoying your life and the opportunities it presents. HappyinHeels

You have the most encouraging posts of anyone in this forum!  Instead of Super Stiletto under your username, I feel it should read "Tony Robbins".  I mean that in a good way :)

Edited by kneehighs

1 hour ago, HappyinHeels said:

Members reading this may not choose Sam's style or my style but they cannot deny the world around us is evolving in ways where more people are being accepted for who they are in more places than ever before.

Where is the evidence of 'acceptance'?   I don't condone intolerance of or antagonism towards those who are 'different' in appearance or lifestyle but that is not to say that they are truly 'accepted' or welcomed by the population generally.   The whole issue is clouded by the restrictions (legal and otherwise) on what may be said or done that is allegedly of a discriminatory nature.   Silence does not amount to acquiescence.   We can scarcely expect freedom of dress when we increasingly restrict freedom of expression in other forms.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

Where is the evidence of 'acceptance'?   I don't condone intolerance of or antagonism towards those who are 'different' in appearance or lifestyle but that is not to say that they are truly 'accepted' or welcomed by the population generally.   The whole issue is clouded by the restrictions (legal and otherwise) on what may be said or done that is allegedly of a discriminatory nature.   Silence does not amount to acquiescence.   We can scarcely expect freedom of dress when we increasingly restrict freedom of expression in other forms.   

There is no question that many changes have taken place over the last decade, and many of those changes have resulted in better conditions and better lives for several groups of people, most notably the LGBT community (god, I hate using the word "community," but it's used frequently and it's expedient, so there it is). To address something that directly affects my personal life on a daily basis, I know there is no way in hell I could have worn what I wear as recently as 20 years ago without serious and frequent harassment, even here in polite Iowa. There is indeed greater acceptance of some things, even if begrudging.

This shift in attitude does come with "restrictions," as you say, but there was, at least in the United States, a sort of tipping point where attitudes shifted, not because of any laws, but for other, more powerful reasons. This has taken place rapidly, and I have no explanation for it. Obviously, there is still a great deal of controversy over anything involving sex or gender or reproduction. My church denomination may wind of splitting up because of it. However, that doesn't minimize the progress we've made as a society in general. We just have a lot more work to do still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be honest with everybody  lessons in queer people as it was then known, I grew up in the 50's and sixties. and I grew up with not knowing about queer people as I was taught to live life as it was, and I do not agree with it being taught in schools, as I grew up I was told about queer people, but that did not bother me and still does not, I was once chatted up by a gay person on a train when I was about 15, had to move about 3 carrigies to avoid him, but that is about it. I agree with gay pride movements but that is up to them, I do not agree with it being forced down your head day and night, at the end of the day live and let live, just don't force it on me or my family. I am slowly changing my grandkids but it is rammed down their heads in school.

a gay day means more to me than it used to.

• Like 1

life is not a rehearsal