Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

@p1ng74 seems to have happened at Palais de Tokyo, not too far from where I work. Didn't know in advance though, would be nice to watch, Rick Owens is always a step ahead (pun fully intended).

• Like 2

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:57 AM, p1ng74 said:

Looking around r/malefashion I discovered that Saint Laurent makes 60mm heels available on their Wyatt boots, and people are warming up to them:

https://www.ysl.com/es/shop-product/men/shoes-boots-classic-wyatt-60-harness-boot-in-black-leather_cod11059817cc.html

Platform heels, were a big part of the Rick Owens show in Paris today:  

https://nowfashion.com/rick-owens-menswear-spring-summer-2020-paris-27804/shots/1340994

MDMyNjA1LmpwZw.thumb.jpg.e2e390d0a8e1e7b4e7ab99366b9c9325.jpg

Saint Laurent has manufactured heels for men for many collections/years now.  There must be some sort of financial justification for this.  Not sure it's profit, but they certainly keep making heels for men.  The reddit community, which I assume is representative of the broader world outside of hhplace, seems quite open to the concept of men in heels.  Great feedback.

25 minutes ago, flavio said:

@p1ng74 seems to have happened at Palais de Tokyo, not too far from where I work. Didn't know in advance though, would be nice to watch, Rick Owens is always a step ahead (pun fully intended).

http://www.modemonline.com/

Has most of the fashion/art/design schedules for the world published.  This assumes the address for the Rick Owens show would be published there.  Often Paris Fashion Week show locations aren't published.

• Like 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

5 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Saint Laurent has manufactured heels for men for many collections/years now.  There must be some sort of financial justification for this.  Not sure it's profit, but they certainly keep making heels for men.  The reddit community, which I assume is representative of the broader world outside of hhplace, seems quite open to the concept of men in heels.  Great feedback.

Their current offering in 60mm are "Finn" boots, which have a nice overall silhouette with the tapered heel:

https://www.ysl.com/us/shop-product/men/shoes-boots-finn-boots-in-lacquered-ayers_cod11594665fa.html#dept=men_shoes_boots

At those prices, they are making money for sure.  

While the malefashion sub has 158k subscribers, it is being curated as the enthusiast, avant-garde side of male fashion, which is still the only reason heels have not been thrown out.  It's interesting listening to the controversy and fashion nerds' opinions on the different contexts where they feel heels are appropriate vs not.  Meanwhile, there is still quite a lot of progress to be made before the broader world (at least the way I define it) starts to have even general awareness and thought of the concept of men in heels.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

While the malefashion sub has 158k subscribers, it is being curated as the enthusiast, avant-garde side of male fashion, which is still the only reason heels have not been thrown out.  It's interesting listening to the controversy and fashion nerds' opinions on the different contexts where they feel heels are appropriate vs not.  Meanwhile, there is still quite a lot of progress to be made before the broader world (at least the way I define it) starts to have even general awareness and thought of the concept of men in heels.  

There is a context where heels are not appropriate? :o Seriously, I don't really have beater heels anymore, I've quit wearing heels in situations where I might really mess up my shoes. I really want to wear very high heels to Disneyland/World someday, which most would consider inappropriate. The problem is, I don't really want to ever visit Disneyland as it exists today, and I certainly don't want to pay their asking price for that "privilege."

I also agree with you that outside the "fashion nerds' " world, there is very little awareness that maybe men could wear heels. In the construction world, I hear a lot of the opposite opinion. Then again, I wouldn't want to see 90% of those guys in heels, either. That would look terrible! Maybe a couple three inches of chunky heeled boot might be ok, but certainly not the sort of thing I wear on a daily basis.

• Like 2

I am in the construction world and I would agree with you.   I would not want to see most of them in heels either.  They certainly would not look like us!!(or this)

B9565D80-67B5-41FA-87BB-F0FB995C76E3.thumb.jpeg.62b5464c397a6f10a71437b082647da3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's kinda ironic that I've been less about heels of late. Rare are the times these days when I wear anything higher than three or four inches while I've come to love lower heights and even flats. For me, it's all about the complete outfit, and what I wear doesn't always require or need high heels, the shoes are no longer the be all and end all, just an accessory that finishes an outfit, and that's perfectly fine by me.

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

2 hours ago, JeffB said:

It's kinda ironic that I've been less about heels of late. Rare are the times these days when I wear anything higher than three or four inches while I've come to love lower heights and even flats. For me, it's all about the complete outfit, and what I wear doesn't always require or need high heels, the shoes are no longer the be all and end all, just an accessory that finishes an outfit, and that's perfectly fine by me.

I think it is good that everyone has his own different interests, and one's tastes are bound to change over a period of time. I know that your tastes have changed, not only with heel height, but with shoe style as well, and then later getting away from caring about heels so much compared to total outfits.  There are a lot of guys on here who only like to wear boots year round. Can't for the life of me really understand that one, but I get it. I'm sure that many people can't understand why I like to wear mules whenever possible, even in the dead of winter.

The larger point is, it would be nice if we males were afforded a broader range of clothing choices without feeling like the local freak. I think p1ng74 is trying to find a glimmer of hope that things may be changing, and there's no doubt that they are. I still haven't met another guy in heels randomly, but on the other hand, I haven't been mocked in public for a very long time now, and the last time that happened was in the mountains of northern Georgia, so it doesn't hardly count, does it? However, it is difficult to see that our mode of dress will be considered normal in my lifetime. Not in the way that male earrings and heavy tattooing on both sexes have more or less become standard fare.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

The larger point is, it would be nice if we males were afforded a broader range of clothing choices without feeling like the local freak.

Sometimes you need to stop waiting and take control.  Be a leader. It's scary at times but very rewarding. I'm surprise by how many men I know who will now get pedicures and have occasional (rare)  toe nail polish. I like to think that I had something to do with that by seeing me wear nail polish like it is normal thing to do. My heels are now just normal and I get questioned when I'm not in heels.

• Like 4

In all honesty, I dress for myself and not for others.  I do recognize the risks that come with that when wearing heels.  Risk of social disapproval, risk of social isolation, risk of social rejection as a possible long term romantic suitor (short term girls don't care).  

The pleasures though, far outweigh the fleeting risks of the above possible pain points.  

If I choose to be extroverted, I am engaged in some sort of social value exchange when I wear heels.  The value I create for myself wearing heels ought to be stronger  than the lack of value others perceive.  Then I can bring them into my reality.  It's the backbone to sales really.   

That's if social assimilation is important to me.  Which it isn't.

• Like 3

Did quick Google search for "heels for men".  The first page brought up the Zappos link.  The second photo is the corresponding Zappos page.

First page Google %22heels for men%22.png

Zappos.jpg

Edited by kneehighs

Hey Guys , this is what i was saying in another post alittle while ago , the amount of mens heels for sale on ebay ( in Australia) is quite amazing , never thought i'd see the day , well the days are here      cheers   Malinheels :wavey:

I think some of that may have to do with what tag lines one puts into links. Surely one way to find more "mens heels" is to add such a tag line to links and websites. Very few companies actually provide a male-female size conversion chart outside of the usual internet-only shoe sites. Within the United States I know of only one mainstream shoe store chain (ShiekhShoes of California) which has such a conversion chart. Yet many companies are fully aware of the number of men buying womens styles. Companies like Macys, Nordstrom, and Steve Madden all know this yet none of them take the extra step and put in writing on their site. People selling on eBay are a bit more forward-thinking in this regard and besides they don't have to answer to a CEO or a board. Ultimately it is about connecting the seller to the buyer, isn't it?  HappyinHeels

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Did quick Google search for "heels for men".  The first page brought up the Zappos link.  The second photo is the corresponding Zappos page.

Zappos.jpg

I'm curious. Why did "men's heels" in that link equate to ridiculous platform "eff me" heels, none of which I would wear even in private, never mind in public? Where are the more sedate and tasteful shoes that don't look like junk strippers or streetwalkers would parade around in? Perhaps this is just me, but I see that as a cynical stereotype that doesn't help our small heeling community.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

I'm curious. Why did "men's heels" in that link equate to ridiculous platform "eff me" heels, none of which I would wear even in private, never mind in public? Where are the more sedate and tasteful shoes that don't look like junk strippers or streetwalkers would parade around in? Perhaps this is just me, but I see that as a cynical stereotype that doesn't help our small heeling community.

I feel like I'm not saying anything new, but perhaps I'm remembering something I never said. It seems I am forgetting stuff I did say a lot more often these days, so I don't see why it couldn't work the other way. :confused:

We here at HHP seem to believe that there is a secret, substantial portion of the male population who either wear heels privately or would like to wear heels. It is my contention that this belief is probably correct, but not in the way that most of us would wish. I think that a majority of the secret heel wearers/wishers out there fetish people, not people who wish to incorporate elevated heel footwear into their daily wardrobe as males. I think this because there are quite a number of websites out there selling.  .  . I'll call them rather extreme styles. Some of them I would actually wear out and about, but many of them are not meant to ever touch concrete.

It makes one ask himself, "Why are there so many websites selling extreme shoes in large sizes, and in some cases even labeling them as 'men's shoes' ?" There can be but one answer: Because somebody is buying them. Shoes with 3 inch heels may be mainstream and practical, but they aren't very exciting. There's nothing wrong with having a thing for extreme shoes, but like you say, it's probably not particularly helpful for those of us who are just trying to fit into our families and communities while standing a few inches taller.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pleaser has been selling to the male fetish market successfully for many years, so yah i expect the vast majority of male customers are not interested in every day heels. That said there are about 20% of their styles i do wear.

Perhaps I’m an outlier, but I’ve never been at all interested in the fetish angle when it comes to high heels. Perhaps I’m kidding myself in that regard since I own thigh high boots which could be seen as, well, kinky to some, but that’s as far as I go, otherwise, I’m perfectly content with wearing boring, sedate, low heels. As I’ve stated elsewhere, I’m all about the complete outfit which I wear n public, and that doesn’t call for fetish heels.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Some members here love that type of  large platform high heel pumps that @kneehighs found on the Zappos link and have shown 30 plus pairs in their albums. If these are what you like -- great, enjoy them. I have seen women wear these as well. I can't wear pumps however I do wear heel with platforms, sometimes substantial  (see tomorrows heels for example). But I too am not interested in fetish type heels. I have made high heels for me normal in my world -- aka Cali World.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JeffB said:

Perhaps I’m an outlier, but I’ve never been at all interested in the fetish angle when it comes to high heels. Perhaps I’m kidding myself in that regard since I own thigh high boots which could be seen as, well, kinky to some, but that’s as far as I go, otherwise, I’m perfectly content with wearing boring, sedate, low heels. As I’ve stated elsewhere, I’m all about the complete outfit which I wear n public, and that doesn’t call for fetish heels.

I totally agree. That whole aspect of it is utterly alien to me. I own a couple of pair of OTK boots but they are not at all fetishy - low heels, suede, comfortable, just nice classy boots. I dislike and resent the assumption that a guy must have some sort of fetish to like tall boots. I certainly don’t, and wear my OTK boots rather unexceptionally with jeans and a jumper simply because I like the style. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I totally agree. That whole aspect of it is utterly alien to me. I own a couple of pair of OTK boots but they are not at all fetishy - low heels, suede, comfortable, just nice classy boots. I dislike and resent the assumption that a guy must have some sort of fetish to like tall boots. I certainly don’t, and wear my OTK boots rather unexceptionally with jeans and a jumper simply because I like the style. 

I have had many conversations with people about my boots now and no one has ever brought up an association with a fetish.  Who knows how many think and don’t say anything, but there is no point dwelling too much on those uncertainties.

• Like 3

On 6/26/2019 at 4:43 AM, kneehighs said:

This is just automation, not real products.

For example you search "rear light bulb support plate for my car" and there are a number of car parts resale site showing up. Click on them, they show a page displaying standard products, entitled "'rear light support plate for my car", with images of approaching products. But they don't have any. This product is sold as a complete light block.

They just redirected the search to their own search engine and show approaching products.

In other words, the site displays what you want to read.

Or you could say more positively, it tries to accept several wordings for the same product.

• Like 2

While trying this out I got different results but after a few pages I found this, they seem interesting and especially marketed for men while being very feminine. And very very expensive but like a few of them. 

https://www.allenvers.com

Edited by heelguypa
Main url instead of specific url

Even with a phone number, I still would never order something so significant from an online business without a listed physical address.  Personally, none of their styles interest me.  But if it is legit, I feel like the prices are reasonable for good custom, European, hand made craftsmanship. 

Edited by p1ng74

Me neither but I think that is besides the point of the discussion. And if is a scam the fact that they are scamming men with high heels shows a trend that it is something people want and there is a market for high heels for men and more are wearing them. 

Not necessarily. In fact, quite the opposite. There has always been cross dressers and scamming people who are likely to want to keep their predilections to themselves is a pretty safe bet as they will be less likely to go to the authorities with any complaint.   

I'd agree with Shyheels. As there have always been cross dressers or other people doing things in private who'd rather keep those activities private there have always been scammers or at least those who capitalise on certain groups of people by making them pay more just because they can. Take, for example, men looking for women's fashions but in larger sizes. I have seen a trend toward stores trying to cater to men buying women's fashion charging more because they perceive those same men don't have many choices. Some larger men may have fewer choices but many can just buy women's fashions, including shoes, at regular stores and pay the same price the women do. This trend extends to other divergent products as makeup for African-Americans and all sorts of items made for left-handed people. Once a company perceives their customers have limited choices there is a tendency to inflate their prices just out of greed. 

As for the shoes on the zappos.com site I took a second look and noticed this was something I knew about. All the shoes shown are the Vice-Versa brand and 100% made in Mexico. Mexican-made shoes are something of a rarity in the USA. These shoes are better quality than the stuff in China and and seem to fit well. They are apparently made especially for men. I have a pair of suede pumps and the ankle boots both in mens size 10. They are NOT Pleaser type fetish shoes rather they are the type of style one would wear on a night out. Not mainstream lower styles but not exactly Pleaser fetish either. My shoe friend Gary started selling them at his store in Chicago around the spring of 2018. HappyinHeels

Edited by HappyinHeels
spelling
  • Like 1