Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

20 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Styles was styled by stylist Harry Lambert for the Met Gala.  Lambert, who has a portfolio full of gender fluid styling, has been styling Styles for years now.

That whole ensemble is just a disaster! I don't know where to begin, but I think I will begin with pants whose waistband comes up practically to his nipples. Who thinks this looks attractive? Speaking of nipples, are those badly misaligned pasties, or are they electrode pads for an AED? Not even the shoes save anything. Oddly shaped heels and those witch toes. All of this combined with his posture and expression on his face equals a look I hope I never come within 40 feet of. I wonder what my little Asian gals think of him now that he (and they) are all grown up? I suppose I should ask them.

Compared to the guy dressed in the pink running suit, a man dressed as a man ,wearing high heel would look more nearly normal than the guy wearing the pink outfit.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I don't know if this was posted here before. This guy knows how to freestyle:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO0muvdjTyb/

Essentially artistic pictures but I read an interview of him and he's all about freedom of expression. His followers seem to be supportive on his ideas.

Maybe his a member here and I didn't knew, sorry if it's the case.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

High Snobiety ran an article titled, "Op-Ed | Maximalist Fashion Has Let Guys Embrace Their Camp Side… Good."

"The chunky sneakers that once seemed so shocking now feel pretty humdrum. Emboldened by the trends of the last few years, guys want something more outrageous, and they’re not scared to mix things up.  That could mean Tabi boots or something else with a high heel."

One street style photo of a man in heels is included in the above article.

The reference to the Tabi boots article is a reference to an article published in Feb. 2019, "Are You Ready To Take Your Footwear The Extra Inch?"

This has multiples references to heels for men.  Most photos link to e-commerce sites.

One of those e-commerce sites includes,  Stefano Pilati’s newest project, Random Identities.  It's "a collection of ready-to-wear primed for our digitized era." 

https://www.ssense.com/en-us/men/designers/random-identities

Kate Moss wearing men's heels from Random Identities

SSense.jpg

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Kind of surprised we didn't get more discussion on Stefano Pilati's Random Identities Worker Boots.  Kate Moss even wears the Worker Boot.  They're sold out on e-commerce (probably from low supply runs).  Stefano Pilati, one of the most influential fashion designers (with his network of support) in luxury fashion in the world, is behind it.    It's a block heel too.

*crickets

Its a nice boot and I have many similar boots. They kinda look like a pair of my old BareTraps. But if they help with men wearing heels I'm all for it.  

While I have some heels that retailed around $300 (I paid less), I rather purchase a Freebird boot in a fun color.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Kate Moss even wears the Worker Boot.

I don't know if it's only me, I hate to see female models used to advertise heels for men, even if the intentions are good, it seems that they need girls to say that those shoes are for real. I'm sure women will quickly buy most of the production run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

'The Sun' on 9 May ran a feature about one of its reporters dressing to emulate the 'Harry Styles' look; see here:   https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/9033421/man-tries-harry-styles-met-look-london/   For those who can't see the article, I attach one pic below

He doesn't look too bad imho, although the mismatched nail varnish does him few favours.   The boots have quite a modest cuban heel and look perfectly good for male street wear.   The overall reaction (if any) from onlookers as he went around in London seemed generally positive. 

image.thumb.png.39acdcf710d9ce979f2cf8d90f0a84c7.png

• Like 2

On 5/14/2019 at 4:48 AM, Cali said:

Its a nice boot and I have many similar boots. They kinda look like a pair of my old BareTraps. But if they help with men wearing heels I'm all for it.  

While I have some heels that retailed around $300 (I paid less), I rather purchase a Freebird boot in a fun color.

Thanks for sharing your sentiments.  I share the same views, "If they help with men wearing heels I'm all for it."  Never heard of Freebird till you mentioned it.  Visited the site.  First thing I thought to myself was "these are very California." ....

On 5/14/2019 at 3:40 PM, flavio said:

I don't know if it's only me, I hate to see female models used to advertise heels for men, even if the intentions are good, it seems that they need girls to say that those shoes are for real. I'm sure women will quickly buy most of the production run.

I can understand how you feel about women marketing heels made for men.  From my end, it's sexy that Kate Moss would wear what I wear.  For me, when a girl gushes about my heels and wants to wear what I wear, it's a secondary source of validation.  (primary is my own self validation).  

On 5/14/2019 at 11:10 PM, Puffer said:

'The Sun' on 9 May ran a feature about one of its reporters dressing to emulate the 'Harry Styles' look; see here:   https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/9033421/man-tries-harry-styles-met-look-london/   For those who can't see the article, I attach one pic below

He doesn't look too bad imho, although the mismatched nail varnish does him few favours.   The boots have quite a modest cuban heel and look perfectly good for male street wear.   The overall reaction (if any) from onlookers as he went around in London seemed generally positive.

Thanks for sharing.  I read it as a light hearted fun article. 

Edited by Tech
Do not quote the actual images themselves.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Never heard of Freebird till you mentioned it.  Visited the site.  First thing I thought to myself was "these are very California." ....

Freebird is the high end of Steve Madden Line: madden girl, Steve Madden, Steven, Freebird. They are Colorado headquartered with very few Freebird shoes in California. I will most likely get a boot (all leather) in a purple croc look later this year, maybe visit a store when I ski Colorado next. I'm expanding pass the blacks and browns, have blue and chestnut, ....

On 5/14/2019 at 11:10 PM, Puffer said:

That was a cool article, and a nice look, even if that guy was wearing the darker version of Seinfeld's legendary pirate shirt!  :giggle:

Edited by Tech
  • Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

7 hours ago, Cali said:

Freebird is the high end of Steve Madden Line: madden girl, Steve Madden, Steven, Freebird. They are Colorado headquartered with very few Freebird shoes in California. I will most likely get a boot (all leather) in a purple croc look later this year, maybe visit a store when I ski Colorado next. I'm expanding pass the blacks and browns, have blue and chestnut, ....

Blue and Chestnut sounds like a fun expansion.  I did figure out it's association to Steve Madden.  I understand it's HQ is in CO and there aren't any stores in CA.  From my end though, the photograph selection from both Instagram and their site depicts a CA desert aesthetic (Coachella, Palm Springs/stereotypical South West American image).  

With that said, I'd be tempted to get the Scarlett.  A nice balance of rugged with feminine, in a flat for summer.  Buckles and distressed style doesn’t fit my classic style aesthetic though.

Edited by kneehighs

I think the Freebird Scarlett is brilliant.  Take the strappy boot with lots of buckles and open up the vamp.  It looks sandal-y enough to wear to the beach, with the ruggedness of a closed toe boot.  Make the buckles functional, ditch the zipper, and add a 3.5” heel and I would be all over this.  I might have to show this to a cobbler and make it happen.  

2 hours ago, bambam said:

Dated a girl who perfected that desert aesthetic. Got so tired of being asked to buy a pickup truck to go with it.

haha!

2 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I think the Freebird Scarlett is brilliant.  Take the strappy boot with lots of buckles and open up the vamp.  It looks sandal-y enough to wear to the beach, with the ruggedness of a closed toe boot.  Make the buckles functional, ditch the zipper, and add a 3.5” heel and I would be all over this.  I might have to show this to a cobbler and make it happen.  

I think so too!  It's def ankle boot enough to pull off with menswear.  Regarding the straps, they are functional.  I'll have to stick to my INGA Racquel shoes (as seen below) for strap action until a good flat w/o western/desert influence comes along.

Edited by kneehighs

From the world of luxury fashion, I think we're in an era ripe for men to wear heels.  Luxury fashion is embracing  Non Binary/Gender Fluid expression. 

Case in point: Gucci.

Right now Gucci is one of the hottest fashion brands in the world, not just from editorial/aspirational value Point Of View (POV), but financially too.  

Aspirationally, the mule loafers that all the girls are wear now (attached)?  That Steve Madden copied?  Those are Gucci.  

Financially, Gucci sales amounted to 8 Billion in 2018.  According to Kering CEO François-Henri Pinault, millennials made up 62% of those sales. 

Alessandro Michelle, Gucci's Creative Director wears heels.  He had Harry Stiles wear heels at the Met Gala.  The Gucci show at Milan Fashion Week MENS was a show about Gender Fluidity: https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/gucci-wraps-up-milan-fashion-week-performance-gender-fluidity-1202963183/

Gucci's aspirational value + it's financial success has created for luxury fashion an era highly tolerant to men in heels.  

Now combine that with Stefano Pilati's Worker Boot for Random Identities (referenced just a few posts up)....and from a cultural anthropological angle, times in luxury fashion seem ripe to support men wearing heels.

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 1.33.19 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 1.36.56 AM.jpg

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 1

Hmm! Interesting. While Gucci is WELL above what I can afford, I'm glad the company has taken such a bold step.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kneehighs said:

From the world of luxury fashion, I think we're in an era ripe for men to wear heels. 

Strike while the iron is hot!  It seems men who already have experience heeling didn’t need a fashion show to be inspired to do so, but it would be neat to see the runway inspire new people to give it a go!  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Strike while the iron is hot!  It seems men who already have experience heeling didn’t need a fashion show to be inspired to do so, but it would be neat to see the runway inspire new people to give it a go!  

Agreed.  Those who are fortunate enough to overcome their own self imposed fears (risks of disconnection with others while wearing heels, risks of feeling exposed, risks etc) won't need any external inspiration.

To me it's noteworthy how profitable Gucci is as a result of risking a Non Binary brand identity.  It's a whole financial picture that goes beyond the runway show (expensive).  Check out the patent heel on Gucci's e-commerce site.

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 10.46.39 AM.jpg

• Like 1

This is what was featured at the entrance to the men’s side of Nordstrom tonight:

E905B3B8-D75B-4C0E-88C5-20E692908CD7.thumb.jpeg.c04af58ba6c3ed400dd893e8e93b72ad.jpeg

I realize these aren’t exactly high heels, but that is more of a heel than what just about every man wears these days.  If I even see one man wearing these boots on the street, I would say there might be a possible trend towards more men in heels.

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

This is what was featured at the entrance to the men’s side of Nordstrom tonight:

I realize these aren’t exactly high heels, but that is more of a heel than what just about every man wears these days.  If I even see one man wearing these boots on the street, I would say there might be a possible trend towards more men in heels.

Small steps to be sure, but those steps are being made I feel.

Edited by Tech
  • Like 1

The trick is actually spotting a man in heels. The enormity of people moving in all manner of directions and your eyes trained on one narrow slice of it make the odds small. Your odds get better if you sit somewhere with a view of a busy sidewalk and sit in a mall where you can watch many people pass your vantage point. Back in 2012 before the Steve Madden in Milwaukee closed the staff there had told me they saw men in heels walk by their store every single day from their vantage point. The vantage point one has seems to make all the difference it seems. I'll keep wearing what I like and maybe I'll run into another dude wearing wedges just like me. :fine: HinH

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

Never happened to me! 

The only one I have ever spotted was myself in a mirror or a store window. Sad. 

Me too!!!!!  

I've met a few at gigs and parties here in LA, and definitely at the Abbey, but they are usually playing a little, it isn't part of their daily dress, unlike me, who loves to wear heels to the post office.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I made a point that Social Media content that promotes men in heels would drive heels for men awareness and buying behavior.  I got a lot of push back from people who didn't believe in Gen-Z, Millennials, or Social Media as driving consumer buying behavior.

Today's IPO of Revolve (RVLV) is another example of how social media influences purchasing behavior.  How influencer marketing is a legitimate influencer of consumer buying behavior.

CEO of Revolve, "We've created this global fan base and it's been through influencer marketing."

https://fashionista.com/2019/06/revolve-clothing-ipo-marketing-strategy

Edited by kneehighs
  • Like 1