Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

Kneehighs,

I think you've been a valuable contributor to HHP and a useful resource in posting articles and interesting reading. If people don't like it, don't worry about it. You're never going to please everybody all the time. Please continue doing what you've been doing and those of us who care will appreciate it.

Steve

On 8/25/2018 at 11:23 AM, hoborob said:

The only way that men in heels will become an accepted idea in society is that those that do wear heels to get out there and be seen. Being seen and being reasonable about it will over the long haul encourage other men to do so and it will grow, but you have to plant the seeds by first being seen by your local community even if it creates a stir. After a while you will either be a leader or "the crazy guy that wears heels". In the end it's up to you and getting over your own fears which will give you the freedom to wear what you want when you want.

I agree with you completely (but then I usually do!). I have found that by wearing heels nearly every day (and ballet flats or mary janes when I'm not in heels), people do get used to it. I'm sure some notice and are too polite to say anything. Here at the retirement community in which I have lived for almost 4 years, only one person, a new female resident, has said anything to me, and that was a compliment. I am not only completely accepted, but appreciated as a caring and helpful member of the community. What I wear on my feet doesn't matter.

Steve

Saw another guy in gals shoes - first time ever !!!!  

Well it wasn't high heels, but sure looked like gals shoes.  Yesterday, I was working the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, a very "posh" high end car show where cars sell for millions.  Many of the folks were dressed very nicely, and many of the ladies were wearing very attractive heels.  Then I saw the guy - if fact two guys, at two different times.  One was wearing flat, very strappy gladiator style of sandals that to me at least, looked "unisex" but most likely from the gals side of the shoe store.  The other guy was in business casual attire and wearing a flat shoe with some metallic decoration on the top.  They looked like a gals shoe to me.  

Since I was "working" I did not have the opportunity to speak with either guy, but I would have liked to.  As I have said before, I have never seen another guy in high heels and that observation still stands.  However, I am 99% positive that I did see two guys in gals shoes at a very public event, and that's a good thing.  

Have fun....   sf

• Like 2

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

On 8/11/2018 at 4:48 AM, Puffer said:

Encouraging men 'to wear heels as men' is fine, and is obviously a cornerstone of this board.   But constantly assailing us with a barrage of pseudo-babble in the form of obtuse marketing-speak and economic or psychological 'facts' does you few favours and is a complete turn-off for those of us who inhabit the real world, however dull and unprogressive it may appear to you to be.

I cannot identify with your lifestyle but am not criticising you for your sincerely-held views or suggesting that nothing you preach has merit.   But, even if you are singing from the right hymn-sheet, the lyrics are in a language foreign to most of your audience here and the music is rarely uplifting. 

For years now,  your real world has whined about my "marketing-speak" and not resulted in any change whatsoever to my use of "pseudo-babble".  Doesn't seem like a pragmatic real world grounded in executing action based on cause/effect laws at all.  

No thanks to that world!

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/05/16/world/science-health-world/high-heels-men-average-legs-turn-womens-heads-study-finds/#.W4QhAS2ZNZo

No real substance in body of article about men wearing heels.  But touches on one of my 4 points that make men wearing heels more attractive:

1. Taller = more attractive 
  2. Good posture from heels = more attractive
  3. Longer legs = more attractive
  4. More fluid/artistic walk = more attractive
Edited by kneehighs

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

5 hours ago, kneehighs said:

For years now,  your real world has whined about my "marketing-speak" and not resulted in any change whatsoever to my use of "pseudo-babble".  Doesn't seem like a pragmatic real world grounded in executing action based on cause/effect laws at all.  

No thanks to that world!

If I knew what you were attempting to say, I might even agree with you!   But, as you seem to prefer obscure language, I will leave you with this thought:   ex turpi causa non oritur actio.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:48 AM, Puffer said:

Encouraging men 'to wear heels as men' is fine, and is obviously a cornerstone of this board.   But constantly assailing us with a barrage of pseudo-babble in the form of obtuse marketing-speak and economic or psychological 'facts' does you few favours and is a complete turn-off for those of us who inhabit the real world, however dull and unprogressive it may appear to you to be.

I cannot identify with your lifestyle but am not criticising you for your sincerely-held views or suggesting that nothing you preach has merit.   But, even if you are singing from the right hymn-sheet, the lyrics are in a language foreign to most of your audience here and the music is rarely uplifting. 

Hi Puffer,
Seeing men in heels in the real world means, unfortunately, heels marketed to men by shoe stores, magazines, TV shows, runways, VPC catalogues, in addition to by the guys of this board.

I mean, yeah, in spite of the recent studies finding that Gen Z and Millenials men are slightly chosing their attire regardless of to whom it is marketed (that was for KH), humans are still behaving like sheeps. Even the tough alpha males have "followed" another one.

That means the shoe store owner invests in a pallet of heels in mens sizes, AND he has a good idea on how many are actually going to be sold.

Shoe retails are big companies in the real world. The store manager does not choose, he/she receives automatically the shoes, and only have to present them. Sales managers choose the models. They go to shoe trade fairs, they meet the suppliers sales officers, they sometimes attend conferences on fair trade and environment.

And they look at charts, power point presentations with bullet points keywords etc. They invest a lot, and sell shoes at 100$

In the fairy world, shoe retails are small companies, such as Cross Swords for example. Owners are good willing people that bet on their intuition. And they sell the same shoes at 500$.

Welcome to the real world.

G.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jeffrey Marsh seems to be somewhat of a public figure advocating for gender fluid fashion.  Just learned of him today.  

https://www.amazon.com/How-Be-You-Trying-Someone-ebook/dp/B0191X34QS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536705512&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+be+you#customerReviews

That's link to his book, "How to Be You".  Looks like interesting reading.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Good Morning All,

I've read enough of this thread to see the gist and feel the occasional prickly edges of it which I suppose is normal for human interaction given the distance and array of ages and walks of life here. I believe the salient point here is not how the market works in the world of shoes. I think you'll find much of what we use and consume is what is marketed via print media, billboards, radio, tv, social media, etc. Advertising has a limited amount of time and space to get your attention focused on a product and how that product will enhance your life. If you buy the product, and enough other people follow suit, then the investment was worth it. Rather the most important takeaway from this conversation is something I've spoke of before which is the absolute need to enjoy the time you have on this Earth on your terms and not those dictated by others. By the time most of us reach 50 we realize all the time we had in front of us is actually more limited than we thought because we are not managing it properly. I would submit by this age time is often more difficult to manage than money. When one dresses the way they want and wears the footwear of their choice that person is exercising their sense of freedom from others and our members are no different. The longer one hides in the shadows and denies themselves simple enjoyment like wearing heels then the lower the quality of life one will enjoy and the less effective their time is managed. Successful people manage their time well and prioritize daily what they need to get done which allows them to enjoy more of life has to offer. Sure, any meaningful change takes time. Waiting for general change is silly. Take those desires and turn them into action by becoming your best advocate. The world does not actually care if another one of us wears heels or not. But it matters enormously to the individual and actions taken by enough individuals does get the world's attention just like all those advertisers. Remember, the only actual obstacle most people have to achieving their goal is whatever mental barrier they have erected inside their own head. Doing anything you have always longed to do involves planning and the confidence to pull it off. Confidence is only built by doing and not by imagining you are doing.   Either sit back, waste time, and watch the world go by OR get involved, plan your adventures, and as Gandhi said "become the change you most want to see in the world." This positive change may add years to your life. HappyinHeels

Edited by HappyinHeels
missing word
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I sort of listened the first time then played it again to read the French subtitles. I've always thought a fair percentage of male designers of female clothing had to be enjoying what they were designing. It would seem almost inevitable. Refreshing and honest piece. HappyinHeels

• Like 1

Kinda “girly” looking, aren’t they?  I would think if a company is making high heel pumps for men, they might make some styles that would look more masculine rather than heels that would look more appropriate when wearing a dress or fancy frock.  It appears to me that they are appealing to the drag crowd rather than ordinary business men market.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

The difference would be if they are making them for a man's shape foot, rectangular, for a woman's shape foot, pear shape.  I agree that they a very girly looking, but there is a market for that, just ask Pleaser. Niche markets.

On 9/22/2018 at 11:14 PM, Bubba136 said:

Kinda “girly” looking, aren’t they?  I would think if a company is making high heel pumps for men, they might make some styles that would look more masculine rather than heels that would look more appropriate when wearing a dress or fancy frock.  It appears to me that they are appealing to the drag crowd rather than ordinary business men market.

Definitely. 

3 hours ago, Gudulitooo said:

Indeed "for men and women".

https://www.buffalo-boots.com/delicacy-men-pumps-patent-leather-black-1350001.html

Interestingly, they do not appear in the "view all" page https://www.buffalo-boots.com/buffalo-london/view-all/

Nor in the mens section of shoes.

They don’t seem to have many sizes left either. 

• Like 1

After looking through, I notice less than half in heels.

Looking at some of the "fashions" worn also reminds me of the I Love Lucy episode about the Paris fashion week. (Burlap dresses.)

Oh, I'm I showing my age?

• Haha 1

I always considered myself fortunate that I can easily wear ladies shoes in size 11 or 12.  I have worn gals shoes all my life (since a teen) and back then, in the 70’s, finding gals shoes in sizes bigger than a 10 was almost impossible - I could wear a 10 back then.  Fortunately I stopped growing!!  

It is very nice that some manufacturers are now making gals shoes in larger sizes 11-12, but I feel for those who need larger sizes that are not readily available.  Have fun.....   sf

• Like 1

Too bad that the article's general theme is that if a guy wears high heels he must be gay, homosexual, bi, transgender, a cross dresser or whatever.  That's all fine, but what about us straight guys who just enjoy wearing gals shoes - like me????   Hmmmm...???  

Things are so confusing these days......    Have fun, I do....  sf

P.S. Spent most of the day today out in heels - had a blast !!!!!!

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, SF said:

Too bad that the article's general theme is that if a guy wears high heels he must be gay, homosexual, bi, transgender, a cross dresser or whatever.  That's all fine, but what about us straight guys who just enjoy wearing gals shoes - like me????   Hmmmm...???  

Things are so confusing these days......    Have fun, I do....  sf

P.S. Spent most of the day today out in heels - had a blast !!!!!!

agree but overall I really think the article was pretty well done.

• Like 2