Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

Slyheels reply to your post ^ is exactly right.

Anyway if you really do consider yourself to be a "super fashion guru" how is it that you failed to submit a photo of your legs and heels in my thread? ; 

3 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Did anybody catch this guy in the link above?  Also, the CEO of the CFDA posted this on his Instagram: 

Which lead to this post from Mic https://mic.com/articles/187849/new-york-fashion-week-calendar-adds-category-for-unisex-and-nonbinary-fashion#.3eUsYnDXe

The gender non-conforming movement (non binary fashion) is officially upon us from the most influential ranks of the fashion world.  

I assume this will add to a favorable cultural climate for men who wear heels/stilettos/women's footwear.

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Quite possibly it will - at the cocktail parties, fashion shows and launches attended by a particular social set who, through fame and fortune and cultured notoriety, will be immune from the slings and arrows of society at large. And since these events will be well attended by photographers - with paparazzi waiting outside - and glossy magazines will publish breathless accounts of the proceedings and who is wearing who, there will be an illusion created in the minds of some that heels for men is now the dernier cri 

And that may be true - for a time - among the very small circle of fashionistas described above. But they are not, and never will be, a critical mass.

O.K.! and Hello and Vogue and Vanity Fair - or fashion calendars, for that matter - do not enjoy a great following among rank-and-file blokes; that is not their demographic. And while such as The Daily Mail may carry in their fashion/celebrity columns tales of daring new looks being exhibited at the launch of such-and-such, blokes will be reading the footy pages. They won't be looking for fashion advice and the look they ought to wear down to the pub or the footy match or the betting agency.  Won't happen.

And the risk-averse companies who produce the millions of shoes and boots that are actually worn by the masses will know this, and continue to invest and produce accordingly, and conservatively.  

It will take a profound cultural/societal change - of some sort, and what that would be I can't imagine - for men to be able to wear heels or enjoy any of the fashion freedoms or theatricality in dress that women take for granted. Whatever the profound cultural change might be, if it ever comes it won't be something that is led by a fashion house.     

I agree wholeheartedly with everything Shyheels said. The big time paradigm shift when it comes to men wearing heels publicly won't come from a fashion house or magazine, neither of which the ordinary male heeler bothers with, or, in some cases, probably isn't even aware exists. That shift will come from said ordinary male heeler being out there, being seen wearing what he likes and wearing heels proudly.

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

On 11/02/2018 at 4:29 AM, Shyheels said:

O.K.! and Hello and Vogue and Vanity Fair - or fashion calendars, for that matter - do not enjoy a great following among rank-and-file blokes; that is not their demographic. And while such as The Daily Mail may carry in their fashion/celebrity columns tales of daring new looks being exhibited at the launch of such-and-such, blokes will be reading the footy pages. They won't be looking for fashion advice and the look they ought to wear down to the pub or the footy match or the betting agency.  Won't happen.

Yep. Except there, the only place where I see high fashion is in the ads for fragrances during the mi-temps.

21 hours ago, Cali said:

If we want change we have to be part of it. I'm doing my part, are you?

At least high fashion does also its part.

There is no reason to expect from it, but there is no reason do deny it.
Do you except from Shyheels' part ?

• Like 1

We all have our reasons for wearing high heels in public, and that's fine.  I am not out to change the world.  For me, wearing high heels brings me enjoyment and the shoes do look nice.  

Continue to have fun all....  sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

when a guy wears stiletto type heels at 5 inches. females view this as competition, and in there minds its I can't wear up to 6 inches. but there is a huge amount of jealousy and insecurity from young girls. women in there 30s and 40s are very impressed with it but young girls in there late teens and early 20s seem to throw a jealous fit when they see us. its a long road for us and you all agree that the light is at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you want a great place to do some public heeling?  If you're in London anytime between Feb. 3-June 2, 2018, you now have your chance:

http://www.huckmagazine.com/art-and-culture/photography-2/secret-history-cross-dressing-photos/

I know this forum isn't about wearing heels to look like a woman, but the challenge to overcome socially constructed gender stereotypes is the same.  And this exhibit in London artfully questions culturally constructed gender norms of clothes.

Edited by kneehighs
know to now

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I have read a review of the exhibition, and it looks interesting, although I can't see how wearing heels to it - specifically making a point of wearing heels to it - would do anything other than perpetuate the idea the heel-wearing men were somehow different, belonging to a twilight world, and emerging for this exhibition; isn't the idea to make it seem normal?

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I have read a review of the exhibition, and it looks interesting, although I can't see how wearing heels to it - specifically making a point of wearing heels to it - would do anything other than perpetuate the idea the heel-wearing men were somehow different, belonging to a twilight world, and emerging for this exhibition; isn't the idea to make it seem normal?

You are totally correct - - - 

For some, this would be a great chance to finally step out into the world, and nobody would think it out of place.

Most of us here realize that the concept of men wearing high heels being normal may not come about in our lifetime. Doesn't mean we can't push the envelope, have some fun, and in my case, freak out a few folks on the way.

• Like 2

James,

Thanks for the article & video link. You ought to make contact with him and meet him over coffee or beer. Sounds like an interesting chap.

Introduce him to this site, too! Maybe he'll participate. He's inspiring, like a lot of people here. I think he'd fit right in.

Steve

I think it's great what he is doing!  SImply wearing heels because he likes them and feels empowered in them.  I do have to say, though, they are not 6" heels!  Four max, which is plenty!

I think it is "normal" that some gay people (as Ashley, btw isn't it a female name ?) are getting out of the closet with heels.

After all, when someone or some attitude is called "gay", it is often because it relates with "displaying one's emotions", which is not acceptable for "straight" men, only for women.  So if it a man displaying his emotions, he should be "gay" isn't it ? There is nothing sexual about it.

6 hours ago, Gudulitooo said:

I think it is "normal" that some gay people (as Ashley, btw isn't it a female name ?) are getting out of the closet with heels.

After all, when someone or some attitude is called "gay", it is often because it relates with "displaying one's emotions", which is not acceptable for "straight" men, only for women.  So if it a man displaying his emotions, he should be "gay" isn't it ? There is nothing sexual about it.

In England, Ashley is quite common as a man's name, probably more common for men than women; women traditionally spell it 'Ashleigh'.   The meaning is 'ash meadow'.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gudulitooo said:

I know a guy who's name is Ashley - - - He won't answer to it. He goes by Ash.

In my neck of the woods, If you are gay as you described - - No - - Your full blown gay. You could be married to the hottest bombshell blonde in town, and the locals will still avoid you like the plague.

= = = = and that's why I don't wear heels locally.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gudulitooo said:

What are they afraid of ?

Not so sure it's something they are afraid of - it's more toward "it isn't right".

I see you and @shyheel are from Europe, and I'm sure you have been watching and reading the news regarding all the goings on here in the states. A vast majority of all this news is only on the East Coast, and the West Coast. A large majority of the rest of the country considers the two coasts as "Liberal Snowflakes". We are not seeing school kids protesting, there are no gender issues, they don't have a gun problem, they are tired of reviving repeat drug addicts,  Climate change is bullshit, and Trump is their savior.

When liberal snowflake mentality drifts into their territory, they tend to get a bit pissy.

On 26/02/2018 at 10:06 AM, Shyheels said:

Interesting story. 

The comments are predictable, of course, from 'good for him' to 'how dare he'! One particularly vociferous idiot also shows crass ignorance of fashion and history.

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

So I've been thinking about this a lot, and the world seems to be pretty clear about how it feels about this. Men's clothing must be functional only. Anybody who says a suit can be stylish, obviously doesn't understand what the suit is for. It is a derivation of a military uniform, and the point is, don't look different, focus on your work, and get the job done. This is as true in a board room as it is in a machine shop or battle field. Despite the fact that women have a huge wardrobe socially speaking, and can further take anything they want from the mens section (I consistently see websites with sections called 'Stolen From the Boys'), if men do anything for themselves or step outside the norm in any way, they are instantly thought of as non team players, and outcasts. Personally, that has been my biggest problem being ok with wearing high heels, I feel that I am not living up to my responsibility as defined by culture to play the game properly. My argument against that is that women regularly go against the grain now, and do what they feel is right. I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to live by that ethos, but if he can, regardless of who he is attracted to, he's a god. Literally. 

• Like 3

The aussie being gay and shunned by the community is amusing. Replies to him asking, "Why are you wearing heels? "that's disgusting your a man." While hetero guys like myself and others on the forum have difficult time being accepted wearing heels or feminine clothes. Having a  prejudice to get passed people's perceptions and stereotypes exists using labels onto me.

This news video of him wearing heels to the office while announcing to his superiors as he will wearing heels not for approval but a statement was smart. We know people don't like something will lie and say no way dress wearing your loafers.  Suppose his co-workers or boss wouldn't hire him if they known his high heeling style would be brought to the office.  Yet dismissing his job or duties maybe not to far around the corner. Let's face it clever people hate some co-workers for whatever reason often superiors will find a way to vacate  his job and push them out one way or another.

Jobs are to obey superiors and be a team player and if you go on your own path or beat of your own drum in his case heels, different from the norm, then he is no longer has value to the company or workplace. 

See how long he will last before the boss and employees get fed up and make him no longer valuable asset to keep.  Walking on eggshells superiors need excuse around his heeling desires to banish him for good. Would not surprise me if we hear from him again about a lawsuit towards his employers after they dispose of his job. 

Wonder if there will be dress code implemented at his workplace stating gender specific attire must be required to be worn by employees. Until they make a high heel court shoe labeling it men's shoe from specific brand rather him picking them up in the ladies section you can't wear them heels anymore. Hope i'm wrong but doubt he will survive the prejudice people have in the workplace. We all know boss will befriend him stating his compliment before he stabs him the back and gets rid of him. The poor aussie will feel that his job was eliminated not because his boss dislikes his heels but simple business move.  Only way to wear heels in office is advance yourself to be the boss and even then board members might vote you out because your detrimental to the image of the company is trying to have. 

Only place i can think of you can wear heels is own your private company or work for italian designer shoe company such as Stuart Weitzman then again if the owner dislikes your wearing heels because his customers woman are appalled or disgusted then he will make you accountable losing business.  Funny because Weitzman made an advertisement degrading women. While i heard woman owning his heels threw them in the trash vowing never to own his pair ever again.  Sexism and labels will always exist but bottom line do your job brilliantly then you have value and stay off the radar and you keep working and making an income. 

Screenshot_2016-06-17_11.31.54.png?14661

Edited by MackyHeels
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bambam said:

So I've been thinking about this a lot, and the world seems to be pretty clear about how it feels about this. Men's clothing must be functional only. Anybody who says a suit can be stylish, obviously doesn't understand what the suit is for. It is a derivation of a military uniform, and the point is, don't look different, focus on your work, and get the job done. This is as true in a board room as it is in a machine shop or battle field. Despite the fact that women have a huge wardrobe socially speaking, and can further take anything they want from the mens section (I consistently see websites with sections called 'Stolen From the Boys'), if men do anything for themselves or step outside the norm in any way, they are instantly thought of as non team players, and outcasts. Personally, that has been my biggest problem being ok with wearing high heels, I feel that I am not living up to my responsibility as defined by culture to play the game properly. My argument against that is that women regularly go against the grain now, and do what they feel is right. I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to live by that ethos, but if he can, regardless of who he is attracted to, he's a god. Literally. 

It goes back to what fashion historians refer to as The Great Male Renunciation in the 18th century. As part of the evolving culture of the Age of Enlightenment, it became de rigueur for men to renounce beauty and adornment, bright colours and fripperies such as heels, and adopt a more sober practical intellectual look. Earth tones were 'in', being a peacock at court was very much 'out'. Bright colours and heels were fine for women who were seen as emotional creatures not really clever enough for more intellectual pursuits. Women of course were never content to stay put and were - and remain - happy to borrow whatever they like from the male wardrobe, and had the moral strength to do so even in the face of strong social condemnation - as in the case of women adopting trousers in the 20th century. They persisted and won.

Men have never had that collective courage, and our fashion drivers remain firmly rooted in the 18th century - uniformity, sobriety, practicality, dark shades, simple colours. Theatricality in dress is not allowed. It is seen as unsound. Does not belong with the herd. 

How that changes, I do not know - unless the collective boredom simply becomes too much. 

6 hours ago, MackyHeels said:

The aussie being gay and shunned by the community is amusing. Replies to him asking, "Why are you wearing heels? "that's disgusting your a man." While hetero guys like myself and others on the forum have difficult time being accepted wearing heels or feminine clothes. Having a  prejudice to get passed people's perceptions and stereotypes exists using labels onto me.

This news video of him wearing heels to the office while announcing to his superiors as he will wearing heels not for approval but a statement was smart. We know people don't like something will lie and say no way dress wearing your loafers.  Suppose his co-workers or boss wouldn't hire him if they known his high heeling style would be brought to the office.  Yet dismissing his job or duties maybe not to far around the corner. Let's face it clever people hate some co-workers for whatever reason often superiors will find a way to vacate  his job and push them out one way or another.

Jobs are to obey superiors and be a team player and if you go on your own path or beat of your own drum in his case heels, different from the norm, then he is no longer has value to the company or workplace. 

See how long he will last before the boss and employees get fed up and make him no longer valuable asset to keep.  Walking on eggshells superiors need excuse around his heeling desires to banish him for good. Would not surprise me if we hear from him again about a lawsuit towards his employers after they dispose of his job. 

Wonder if there will be dress code implemented at his workplace stating gender specific attire must be required to be worn by employees. Until they make a high heel court shoe labeling it men's shoe from specific brand rather him picking them up in the ladies section you can't wear them heels anymore. Hope i'm wrong but doubt he will survive the prejudice people have in the workplace. We all know boss will befriend him stating his compliment before he stabs him the back and gets rid of him. The poor aussie will feel that his job was eliminated not because his boss dislikes his heels but simple business move.  Only way to wear heels in office is advance yourself to be the boss and even then board members might vote you out because your detrimental to the image of the company is trying to have. 

Only place i can think of you can wear heels is own your private company or work for italian designer shoe company such as Stuart Weitzman then again if the owner dislikes your wearing heels because his customers woman are appalled or disgusted then he will make you accountable losing business.  Funny because Weitzman made an advertisement degrading women. While i heard woman owning his heels threw them in the trash vowing never to own his pair ever again.  Sexism and labels will always exist but bottom line do your job brilliantly then you have value and stay off the radar and you keep working and making an income. 

Screenshot_2016-06-17_11.31.54.png?14661

The guy works at a bank. Meeting clients. If his boss wasn't happy with it, or had doubts, he/she would tell him so. Maybe they do things differently in Canada but Australians are fairly plainly spoken - we're not shy, we speak our minds.