Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

Interesting article.  You will notice the subtle difference in point of view from a guy that wore heels for a day because of an assignment, and what we might say about wearing heels all day because we wanted to.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Beyond the considerably less than flattering outfit (a dressier shirt and slacks would've worked better and looked better) and pairing pointy toed blue shoes with dark socks, a definite no-no, I thought he undertook the assignment in good humor and gave it an honest effort. Like TBG, I agree that there is quite a difference between wearing women's shoes as a novelty and guys like us who derive great pleasure from the practice.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I've tried Seronos and the fit is terrible. 20 minutes is all anyone could take in such ill-fitting shoes. He completely missed the power and thrill of heels.
i don't agree. I recently bougth these on my trip to the US and I think they're very comfy.

This link didn't connect directly for me; I eventually found the article at: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/sex-and-relationships/man-in-heels-experiment

I can't say I was impressed with anything the wearer said or did.   He displayed all the usual prejudices and seemed very awkward - just look at the video of him walking (as if he has messed his trousers!).   A retrograde step in both senses.

This link didn't connect directly for me; I eventually found the article at: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/sex-and-relationships/man-in-heels-experiment

I can't say I was impressed with anything the wearer said or did.   He displayed all the usual prejudices and seemed very awkward - just look at the video of him walking (as if he has messed his trousers!).   A retrograde step in both senses.

I think the obejctive was clear from the start. To deter women from wearing heels.

Thank you, Pumps and Puffer, for the article and the correct link.

I found it interesting, and the pictures taken outside looks better than the others, maybe because his jeans falls better on the shoes, when standing. It would look even better with a slim fitting pant.

I read the story. As Steve noted above it was written as entertainment, with a heavy emphasis on cute. I am a journalist myself, rather old school perhaps - been in the game a long time - and were I the guy's editor I would have expected him to have sought comment from women who love heels and wear them all the time. Not about how he looked or walked, but about how one learns to wear heels and why they like them. Perhaps advice on the best heel height to start with. I would also suggest he mention at least in passing that heels were originally menswear - a fact that is available with even the most rudimentary research. And he should make the point that this was a one day experiment, with no prior experience and that experts say much practice is required.

And yes, a little less of the belaboured humour. He could still write a witty, engaging, entertaining feature - easily - and still have it be a worthwhile piece of journalism without all the self-absorbed, self conscious attempts to be funny. I have never had an assignment like that, but I have had many where I was obliged to step out of myself - ignoring risk or exposure or being different. It is part of the game.

He doesnt make the best case for "men in heels" though in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it's cool what he does but the shorts and the way he talks doesn't make it very masculine. :P
I think the point is to be loud and "epic" and not to introduce new fashion, but think it's positive to have men in heels in the mainsteam.

I think the point is to be loud and "epic" and not to introduce new fashion, but think it's positive to have men in heels in the mainsteam.

And to have the hosts so excited about it.

Clearly he's been rocking heels for years amongst friends and makes no apology for it. That seems pretty slick to me.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

True and the exposure is good and it could be a good thing. The other side of doing it like this; (i'm not saying he's doing something wrong, not saying that at all! :) I found it quite cool he enjoys himself so much and does what he does.) might be that it could enhance the stereotype that you must be gay if you wear heels as a man. But I guess that will always be one of the 'struggles'. :)

And to have the hosts so excited about it.

The hosts act like that over everything that appears on the show.

They are daytime TV presenters. I.e. sycophants & "celebrity" worshipers of the highest order.

Always High-Heel Responsibly

the problem their is that, hetrosexual men are shamed by people, that think you can't wear anything you want because your a man,I mean females think men have no right to think for himself, or wear what he wants, for personal choice of footwear, the media are very sexist towards men who wear what women wear, if eddie izzard is called a transvestite, then if a famous hetrosexual young man with skinny jeans, wearing louboutin pumps, is a crossdresser, thats how dumb the media are, they brainwash people into thinking that men like us are like that advert, in truth that I love wearing heels because of personal choice, and love the style, everyone on the forum has the same reason, i mean I don't like womens dresses, or make up, painting my nails, or skirts, but they find another dumb reason to say that your not like anyone else,

I've been to the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto. It's an excellent museum, and I encourage everyone to visit. This should be a good exhibit. I hope I can get a chance to see it. The trouble with it, in my opinion, is that it will probably explore only heels made for men, and ignore men like us who have adapted women's heels as part of our fashion. Oh, well.

Steve

I've been to the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto. It's an excellent museum, and I encourage everyone to visit. This should be a good exhibit. I hope I can get a chance to see it. The trouble with it, in my opinion, is that it will probably explore only heels made for men, and ignore men like us who have adapted women's heels as part of our fashion. Oh, well.

Steve

Agreed on all counts!   No doubt some members will visit before long and can give us a report on what is included.

Steve

Not so sure, they mentioned rockers in heels, many of the 80's bands and even Prince for some time after clearly wore women's heels in their stage attire. If they go there you may see some sexier styles on display with photos of the original wearer, can only hope of course.

• 4 weeks later...

Not so sure, they mentioned rockers in heels, many of the 80's bands and even Prince for some time after clearly wore women's heels in their stage attire. If they go there you may see some sexier styles on display with photos of the original wearer, can only hope of course.

I wonder about Prince and his shoe collection. If you look over pictures of him you will see that he most often wore the same style of heel but different colors, with a slight variation in the style of the shoe itself. I wonder if he did not have his heels made to order. 

• 4 weeks later...

STANDING TALL: A CURIOUS HISTORY OF MEN IN HEELS, Opening May 8th

BATA SHOE MUSEUM

Toronto, Canada

http://www.batashoemuseum.ca/coming-soon-standing-tall/

This would be the ultimate place to wear heels!

Still no discussion of the Bata Shoe Museum exhibition of Men In Heels here?

http://qz.com/409254/why-did-men-stop-wearing-high-heels-anyway/

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Good article, kneehighs! Thanks for posting.

I visited that museum a couple of summers ago and wore heels. Every guy should! I don't know if I'll be able to get to this exhibition. We'll see.

Steve

STANDING TALL: A CURIOUS HISTORY OF MEN IN HEELS, Opening May 8th

BATA SHOE MUSEUM

Toronto, Canada

http://www.batashoemuseum.ca/coming-soon-standing-tall/

This would be the ultimate place to wear heels!

Hi Kneehighs, the event would be awesome to see, but timing is hard to make this spring, so I don't think I could make it happen. The whole museum is a must see at some point. Thanks for posting the link to it, its on the list, maybe this fall.

Cheers!