Master Resource: General Public Discussions of men in heels

kneehighs

Nice articles. I find with those Yahoo! Answers that some of the responses, no matter what the topic, are normally negative. Say for the topic of heels, even if the article is geared to women, 1 thread is positive while the other 9 are negative. Nevertheless, it is still nice to see some positive comments.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is it my imagination or have there been more articles highlighting men "borrowing" items of women's clothing appearing in fashion magazines lately? It seems like there is at least one reference every month or so relating how some feminine apparel is appearing on male models in major market fashion shows. One explanation could be the availability of information is much greater and articles can be located by just searching the Internet. Another is that the male fashion industry is begining to realize that some of the "girls stuff" looks just as nice on boys. While there are quite a few members of this forum that are "in tune" with changing fashion trends, I cannot help but think it is through worldwide forums like this that is partially responsible for the trend toward gender neutral clothing/accessories. Changes are taking place.....albeit slowly -- perhaps the movement will gain momentum and change will come more quickly than we imagin.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Supposedly that blog post is going to appear in the Print Edition of the Times too. We'll have to see. I know that as my influence in the fashion industry grows I'll carefully use it to cultivate the artistic appreciation of men wearing stereotypically feminine clothing.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

While there are quite a few members of this forum that are "in tune" with changing fashion trends, I cannot help but think it is through worldwide forums like this that is partially responsible for the trend toward gender neutral clothing/accessories.

Changes are taking place.....albeit slowly -- perhaps the movement will gain momentum and change will come more quickly than we imagin.

I couldn't agree more. As mindsets about the association of gender and clothing are starting to loosen up to where other option present themselves to men regarding what they can wear from the women's side of the aisle, I can see where that neutrality you mention might become a reality in our time. By the way, I did read the article and found it absolutely fascinating!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Supposedly that blog post is going to appear in the Print Edition of the Times too. We'll have to see.

I know that as my influence in the fashion industry grows I'll carefully use it to cultivate the artistic appreciation of men wearing stereotypically feminine clothing.

That I am looking forward to. ;-)

(just think, we'll be able to say....."I knew him when......"LOL)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Its about time. More items need to be unisex and for both genders and will aid our cause more quickly to come about. Heels and other items on men is growing and not just here on the HH Place either. Its about time that the manufacturers woke up to what people want. Now if only we could get the automobile manufacturers to give us exactly what we want then we all would start to buy cars again. Thats the way to get the economy rolling. Give the people what they want and need in their lives. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's with the black leather? When will these people learn heels for men do not require all these additional trappings, and that a simple pair of jeans works fine? For many of us, it's not a fetish! No need for fetishistic trappings - heels for men will sell a lot better when you simply market them with everyday wear.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

I am growing increasingly weary of the way designers are portraying men wearing heels. While I applaud the efforts of people like Jean Paul-Paula, with his comment, "I think men tend to buy some items that are originally made for women because they can’t find them made for men," the picture at the top just screams "I want to be a girl." The clothes are only partly responsible, with everything, including the accessories, having a feminine bent. But it's also the body language of the models. Just looking at it conjures up the next frame, where they both break out in overexaggerated feminine gestures/mannerisms and lisps in a parody of sterotypical gay males.

That's fashion advancement?

I've seen far more appealing fashion pics of guys successfully wearing heels here on this forum, and without all the additional, but unnecessary trappings.

The Elle news blog was a bit more mainstream: "The most buzzed about look on the runway? Men in heels." along with: "Hourani created the boots with himself in mind-- he'd been looking for a modern pair of man-friendly heels for years that weren't cowboy boots."

I'm willing to be he's not alone!

And finally: "What do you think of the idea of unisex fashion?"

I think it's terrific! And since I think it's so terrific, I shake my head in bewilderment when designers are unable to portray men wearing heels without turning the rest of their ensemble into very feminine attire, as well.

One of these days, I'd like very much to walk into my favorite coffee, donut, and breakfast store along the route to Deckers, CO, wearing a blue plaid flannel shirt, jeans with a normal western belt buckle, a ball cap I have from an aviation museum, wearing a pair of small diameter, but thick stainless hoop earings, and a pair of boots like these.

I won't be carrying a clutch, though, nor wearing Elton John eyewear. No lace, fetish latex, or shimmery fabric like designers appear to be unable to keep themselves from throwing on top of the heels, as if all those trappings somehow justify a man wearing heels.

They don't! They diminish the reality that some men simply enjoy heels! As men. Wearing whatever other clothing we heel-wearing males normally wear.

Like blue jeans.

And flannel shirts...

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

One of these days, I'd like very much to walk into my favorite coffee, donut, and breakfast store along the route to Deckers, CO, wearing a blue plaid flannel shirt, jeans with a normal western belt buckle, a ball cap I have from an aviation museum, wearing a pair of small diameter, but thick stainless hoop earings, and a pair of boots like these.

Why can't you? The only unusual item that you would be wearing that would be obvious would be the hoop earings. Deep six the earings and no one would ever give you a second glance no matter how high the heels on your boots are. :winkiss:

• 2 months later...

The designers should tap into this forum, view all of the pics of the heel wearing men, and they could come up with a wealth of ideas for the runway and future sales. It isn't rocket science. And I bet it would fly in the department stores also. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to give it to lolla, a banned member of hhplace.

He's got the best blog on men in heels going and he just keeps chugging away, month after month. Now he has people submitting photos of themselves to him and is slowly gaining the attention of the blogosphere.

Cheers to a great job at

highheelspassion.blogspot.com

You keep going lolla.

Keep going!

;)

I totally agree! At first, it was not updated alot and seem to just be repeats of things that we've normally saw when searching "men in heels" on google. Now it's filled with finds that you have never saw. Quite an enjoyable read!

....snip....

The Elle news blog was a bit more mainstream: "The most buzzed about look on the runway? Men in heels." along with: "Hourani created the boots with himself in mind-- he'd been looking for a modern pair of man-friendly heels for years that weren't cowboy boots."

I'm willing to be he's not alone!

snip....

On Saturday night in NYC I went to a loft party in the heart of Wall Street (of all places, Wall Street is completely DEAD on the weekends). Anyhow, the owner of the condo is a pretty big fashion influencer in New York City as he is the Editorial Director for a major fashion site with vast influence in the fashion community. Models were also there as were stylists and a few other editors.

Then the topic of men in heels came up. It wasn't me who brought it up either. It turns out this guy is friends with Rad Hourani. So when the topic came up, he disappeared to his bedroom and came out with a pair of Rad Hourani heels that the designer had given him as gift.

He appeared as if he had never worn the heels before, acted surprised that heels made him arch his back more upright, and said that he would never leave the house with them on. Funny how he left them on for at least an hour though at the encouragement of everyone in the room. I could tell he enjoyed wearing them and what was holding him back was the social stigma of being a man in heels.

I think designers are making an effort to make heels for men and a small effort is being made to market them to men (Rad's heels for men are the exact same as the heels for women, but sell at 500 euros as opposed to 1000 according to my source). This price difference isn't very encouraging though as it tells me that even the high fashion circles aren't buying heels for men in large quantities, and if the designers in high fashion aren't getting the positive economic feedback they need to continue designing heels for men, there is little chance that commercial shoe manufacturers will follow suit.

Nice info KH, However, the key thing is price. It made my eyes water to purchase two pairs of YSL Johnnys at £400 a pop, but I did. Then again there was a great motivation to own them. Understandably, these are just too pricey for the majority. So unless the price comes down, they are going to remain exactly where they are right now - Niche. What a shame. I suspect from the way you have written your post, the host had worn his heels often, but even in the right environment, he was still "inhibited" and needed to pretend. If the male Rads are 500 euro, I wouldn't mind adding a pair to my collection. Just where to find them in London - Clue? Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Interesting report, KH. This discussion has been going on since there were men wearing high heels...and as long as this forum has been on line. While almost all of our male heel wearing members have been eager for some kind of "breakthrough" in the "men in high heels" department, and envisioned that when enough men appeared in public wearing their heels, it would move the general public toward acceptance. I don't know if "we" realized it or not, but over the years that we've been following this strategy, progress has been made -- tiny, itty bitty gains. Also if it weren't for the "politically correct" crowd, along with the "whatever floats your boat" attitude, what progress that has been achieved wouldn't have been noticable. Kneehighs has a "direct view" into the core/heart of the fashion world." The people that he is acquainted with are far more influencetial on what is and is not fashionable. And, it is the attitude of this group of fashion leaders that can have a tremendous impact upon the world's entire view and attitude to men wearing high heels. While the Internet is a great influence, and sites like this one do have an positive impact upon attitudes at just slightly faster than a snail's pace, the word spreads at hyperspeed when publicity is given through the hundreds of fashion publications, blogs, websites, etc., that are populated by "friends of kneehighs." They are the ones that can start trends that influense the mainstream population in the civilized world. If this group becomes supportive, and broadcasts their excitement over men wearing high heels as mainstream, attitudes of the general public will do a 180º change in just a couple of years. As to KH's host at last Saturday's party, I would suggest that he was a big high heel fan that chose to act "unfamiliar" with wering high heels to "cover" the stigma presently associated with men wearing women's style shoes. I believe this because why else would a well known shoe designer give him a pair of red high heels, to begin with if he didn's show an interest in woman's shoes? And, why do you suppose he chose this particular time to appear in high heels in the presence of such an influencial group of fashion setters if he didn't want to "make a statement?" I might be way off base in my analysis. However, whatever the reason he chose to wear them during this party, he has my sincere thanks for "moving" the attitude towards the acceptance of "men in heels."

Nice info KH,

However, the key thing is price. It made my eyes water to purchase two pairs of YSL Johnnys at £400 a pop, but I did. Then again there was a great motivation to own them. Understandably, these are just too pricey for the majority.

So unless the price comes down, they are going to remain exactly where they are right now - Niche. What a shame.

I suspect from the way you have written your post, the host had worn his heels often, but even in the right environment, he was still "inhibited" and needed to pretend.

If the male Rads are 500 euro, I wouldn't mind adding a pair to my collection. Just where to find them in London - Clue?

Simon.

Hmm, I think if even if the price went down, they wouldn't sell. The perceived stigma of a man wearing high heels still outweighs the advantage of low price to most potential consumers.

The Rad Hourani's are manufactured out a place in Montreal that will supposedly custom make any given shoe for anyone. I'll get back with you on this as I don't know if the mens version is being sold in London.

Interesting report, KH. This discussion has been going on since there were men wearing high heels...and as long as this forum has been on line.

While almost all of our male heel wearing members have been eager for some kind of "breakthrough" in the "men in high heels" department, and envisioned that when enough men appeared in public wearing their heels, it would move the general public toward acceptance.

I don't know if "we" realized it or not, but over the years that we've been following this strategy, progress has been made -- tiny, itty bitty gains. Also if it weren't for the "politically correct" crowd, along with the "whatever floats your boat" attitude, what progress that has been achieved wouldn't have been noticable.

Kneehighs has a "direct view" into the core/heart of the fashion world." The people that he is acquainted with are far more influencetial on what is and is not fashionable. And, it is the attitude of this group of fashion leaders that can have a tremendous impact upon the world's entire view and attitude to men wearing high heels.

While the Internet is a great influence, and sites like this one do have an positive impact upon attitudes at just slightly faster than a snail's pace, the word spreads at hyperspeed when publicity is given through the hundreds of fashion publications, blogs, websites, etc., that are populated by "friends of kneehighs." They are the ones that can start trends that influense the mainstream population in the civilized world. If this group becomes supportive, and broadcasts their excitement over men wearing high heels as mainstream, attitudes of the general public will do a 180º change in just a couple of years.

As to KH's host at last Saturday's party, I would suggest that he was a big high heel fan that chose to act "unfamiliar" with wering high heels to "cover" the stigma presently associated with men wearing women's style shoes. I believe this because why else would a well known shoe designer give him a pair of red high heels, to begin with if he didn's show an interest in woman's shoes? And, why do you suppose he chose this particular time to appear in high heels in the presence of such an influencial group of fashion setters if he didn't want to "make a statement?"

I might be way off base in my analysis. However, whatever the reason he chose to wear them during this party, he has my sincere thanks for "moving" the attitude towards the acceptance of "men in heels."

That's exactly right! When he was zipping up the boots in front of everyone, it was like a deja vu. There was a feeling that something was awkward. Back to a time when I first started secretly slipping heels on in the privacy of my own room (the pre-hhplace.org Adelphi Forums days).