Relieving back pain??

whynotheels

Question

I think someone here once said he wears heels to relieve his back pain. Could I please get more details? My wife is having back pain and might be at the point of trying anything including heels. Thanks, --WhyNotHeels

22 answers to this question

I think someone here once said he wears heels to relieve his back pain. Could I please get more details? My wife is having back pain and might be at the point of trying anything including heels.

Thanks,

--WhyNotHeels

Try lower back extensions and crunches. The stronger the stomach, the stronger the back. Exercise is the best answer. Big bellies cause lower back problems as it puts way to much stress on the lower spine.

real men wear heels

Back pain is not a reason to try to get someone to start wearing heels. Period. I have had back problems and wearing heels didn’t help, but it didn’t seem to hurt things either. The one thing I did notice was that I had better posture when wearing heels. I tend to keep my shoulders back and stand straighter because the heels demand better balance. But the better posture didn’t fix the back problem. Back pain is serious. If she is lucky, its just strained muscles (which better posture might aggravate) but it can me a lot of other much more serious conditions. Heels are not the answer. See a doctor.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Thanks for the info. I'm not trying to get my wife to wear heels. She's been to the chiropractor with limited success and is approaching the "try anything" point. I really wanted to know if they'd help so that I could say "hey it helped this guy" so it wouldn't look like I was just trying to get her into heels. Actually it's better when she doesn't wear heels because it keeps my mind from thinking about how much I want to wear heels.

Thanks for the info. I'm not trying to get my wife to wear heels. She's been to the chiropractor with limited success and is approaching the "try anything" point. I really wanted to know if they'd help so that I could say "hey it helped this guy" so it wouldn't look like I was just trying to get her into heels. Actually it's better when she doesn't wear heels because it keeps my mind from thinking about how much I want to wear heels.

Sounds like you have more problems than your wife's lower back pain. Why don't you just except the fact that you like wearing heels and wear them.

real men wear heels

Lower back pain is a serious problem that needs to be addressed.;) Many chiropractors offer a booklet about healthy backs. The booklet describes various exercises that will help to strenghten the back. I have found it quite useful. But one word of caution: even with the exercises, it may take several weeks, if not months, to build the back muscles up enough to eliminate the pain. So don't expect instant results.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

Back pain can also be caused by medications. Nexium and the like are notorious for causing back pain. Watch out for those purple pills - you may get more than you bargained for! GWL

Back pain can also be caused by medications. Nexium and the like are notorious for causing back pain. Watch out for those purple pills - you may get more than you bargained for!

GWL

Some meds for pain control pain but do contribute to long-term degeneration. Don't take it if you're not dying is my mantra.

Hi, I find the standing in heels makes a difference to any back ache I have after a long day in flat shoes. It is just about using different muscles for a while, it helps me. Just the same as taking a pair of heels off after a long day, but the other way around. nigel.

The angels have the phonebox.

Hi There, Heels do wonders for my lower back pain. I have tried everything else and nothing helps as well as heels. Even my chiropractor agreed that they would help with my back problem. I think it depends on the individual back complaint. I have one leg shorter than the other and have had back pain for years. I read something on the net a few years ago that mentioned heels help with some types of back problems. My back pain was getting worse at that stage even though I was doing all sorts of exercises. So I thought I would give heels a go. Being a man this was a very scary but after walking around in them for only a few minutes I felt pain relief so I decided to start wearing them as much as possible. I have worn them all day, most days now for the last few years.

Hi There,

Heels do wonders for my lower back pain. I have tried everything else and nothing helps as well as heels. Even my chiropractor agreed that they would help with my back problem. I think it depends on the individual back complaint. I have one leg shorter than the other and have had back pain for years. I read something on the net a few years ago that mentioned heels help with some types of back problems. My back pain was getting worse at that stage even though I was doing all sorts of exercises. So I thought I would give heels a go. Being a man this was a very scary but after walking around in them for only a few minutes I felt pain relief so I decided to start wearing them as much as possible. I have worn them all day, most days now for the last few years.

Never thought too much about it but now that you mention it, my back feels better too, if I have been out in heels, and I do it a lot; primarily my Kohl's "Bongo" clogs.

After years of putting up with back pain not going to the doctors etc

(its a man thing) I finally have been told I have Ankylosing Spondylitus (would not wish it on anyone) check www.nass.co.uk, only advice I have is if you have back problems go to a Doctor. There is no cure for me, only time will tell, but I can say wearing heels does help.

life is not a rehearsal

I agree with you sendra45. I wear low heels all day and can't wait to get home and wear my high heels it feels so much better and the pain I normally get in my calves during the day are gone after a few steps in them. Just wish I could wear them all day.

Hi,

I find the standing in heels makes a difference to any back ache I have after a long day in flat shoes.

It is just about using different muscles for a while, it helps me.

Just the same as taking a pair of heels off after a long day, but the other way around.

sendra45.

As someone who's on concrete floors in flat athletic shoes all day, I've found this to be true for myself as well..

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

This is only advice because the back is nothing to ignore as i did for 15 years Dr always saying muscell spasms or strain till it crippled me for a week and an MRI revealed a ruptured disk and followed by surgery too remove acouple pieces of disk so please becareful

This is only advice because the back is nothing to ignore as i did for 15 years Dr always saying muscell spasms or strain till it crippled me for a week and an MRI revealed a ruptured disk and followed by surgery too remove acouple pieces of disk so please becareful

I feel for you, Fred. I had a similar problem for most of 2007 - displaced disk with sciatica. Two weeks in significant pain and using crutches was quite enough. Fortunately, the disk went back of its own accord and the only legacy is intermittent pins and needles in one foot and leg cramps. Walking is good therapy and wearing modest heels or exercise sandals certainly helps.

When I (eventually) saw a consultant (National Health Service) to discuss the prognosis, the problem had already subsided but he made the telling comment that, if this had been the US, he would still have recommended surgery. He simply smiled when I suggested to him that this was because the US surgeon would be well paid for the op in comparison with one in the UK! However, he made it clear that I could have an op if the problem recurred; no bridges were being burned by leaving well alone meanwhile.

Hi All, Just want to express some thoughts about the subject here.. In many cases back aches are caused by a "dislocated" skeletum. Mostly this is caused because of a foot problem which causes the pelvis to be "out of line". However, the same can happen when you have a "lazy eye", which causes the brain to believe your not standing straight and therefore provokes a corrective action ( the brain thinks your standing straight up but in fact the opposit is happening) An other reason can be a cheek that is not straight, causes the same action. The good news.., all of this can in most cases be solved by visiting an optemetrist, dentist or podolog. Changing from flat to high heels has an effect on the muscles and can therefore release or increase discomfort but the only real action for solving the aches should be to correct the pose of the skeletum which has to be followed up with alligning the muscles (manual therapy).

I injured my back many years ago. After many ultra-sound treatments that only temporarily helped, the doctor told me that traction or surgery might be the only options. He did recommend a series of numerous stretching exercises daily before I made a decision on on some extreme action. After a week of much stretching, my back was fine and I have continued the excises without any back problems. And the injury occurred over thirty years ago.

My back is quite arched, and I have much less problems/ache with it since I wear heels. Wearing flat shoes when I must walk for a long distance or stay on my feet for a long time leads to backache everytime, and even heel pain most of the time. Whenever I wear moderate heels from 3 to 7 cms (1.5" to 3"), I never feel pain. Whenever I wear high heels, I feel sometimes pain but only in the front part of the feet. So the worst for my body seems to be wearing flat shoes.

I personally did not wear high heels to cure mild lower back pain. But it was a pleasent side effect. My lower back hasn't given me grief in ages.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

OK, he doesn't know he did me a favour but once a day few years ago my orthopaedist said 'Hmm, if you were a woman I'll advice you to wear high heels to lower your back pain.'. I'm tall - about 201 cm - and not quite muscular. My backbone is formed like a doubled questionmark. Since I wear high heels (12 cm or higher) I've got much less pain.

Don't know why but I thought I'd posted in this thread previously, now it seems not, maybe there is a parallel thread elsewhere? I "carry" a broken and fused neck injury C5/C6 due to a big car accident. In the cold my neck stiffens and the left shoulder and neck muscles tighten, sudden major shocks, adverse stretches and excess computer use effects it. Pain killers are virtually ineffective I need so many I stop rattling. I saw a locum (stand in doc at my medical centre) asking for recommendations couple of years back, she looked me over told me to "stand up, up on tiptoe ok sit down" then preceded to tell me she had several female patents with not dissimilar problems, for them she had advised wear heels to change the posture, "I could suggest the same but your a man". She almost fell of the chair when I said "I do and it works but I'd like some recommendation for when I can't" We discussed some likes/dislikes and medication options and apart from very strong PKs which have too many bad effects (let alone the side issues) so I continue as I am and hit the sweetie jar/heat pad when it's BAD. Yes sometimes it's down to posture and heels do heal. Al

Whenever I wear high heels and I am walking for a considerable time while wearing high heels, I stand up straight, pull my stomach in, and it is very comfortable walking like that. And my back and stomach feel fine then and at the end of the day. So I would have to agree that there is something to high heels helping with back pain.