Motorbikes and Riding

Otherwise, I'm going to have to stick to my cage. But I'm one of the rare drivers who can see motorcyclists, and treat them with courtesy. It's quite astonishing how much more polite bikers are than your normal road users. One helpful signal, like "I know you're there, feel free to overtake" almost always gets a friendly wave.

It's one of the first things you learn as a professional driver. When I'm in the A13 carpark trying to get to Tower Hill, I always put my nearside wheels either on the line or up to the kerb so that bikes can just zip down my offside.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

With the goal being a 1000 bike (realistically, 988cc and up) I like the option of taking the courses, getting the license, and then moving to a 500cc to perfect the skills. After that, time for a super bike of epic proportions. Why? Because it's cool! Yes, I am a victim to the image that would be created.

OK, I admit it, sometimes I would like to get a bike. But, being the kind of person I am, I'd either have a Ducati or a Harley. I'm not a speed freak, so I'd rather arrive in style. I had a lift on a Harley a little while ago, and it took three hours to get the smile off my face.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Ducati makes a nice sport bike as well, most European racers use them, at least in the races they are showing here... As for women on bikes, I think it would be better if the woman rode it, not just sat on the back looking pretty, helpless, and owned. Riding is supposed to be freedom. It's better to be in control of that freedom, I think. One day they'll be an interesting picture posted here, that's for sure...

Ducati makes a nice sport bike as well, most European racers use them, at least in the races they are showing here...

YES they do. I went to the World superbikes in Assen last Sunday, screaming bikes all day long. I had a great time. Not so good for wearing heels, frontally I wore only 2.5" ones.

As for women on bikes, I think it would be better if the woman rode it, not just sat on the back looking pretty, helpless, and owned.

Well if you are sitting on the back, you can wear heels more easily, if I had to sit on the back of a bike I could do it in 4" heels, but no driving in 4"

Riding is supposed to be freedom. It's better to be in control of that freedom, I think.

It really takes all your attention so all my troubles wither away when riding

One day they'll be an interesting picture posted here, that's for sure...

Can't wait for them :smile:

You went to the race in Assen? Wow, cool. I hope they show it here on the weekend.. or sooner! I'm hooked, what can I say. As for letting troubles wither away when riding, this is what I need ni life, exactly what I am looking for, and exactly what the people I know who do ride try to tell me. Spring better get here soon...

You went to the race in Assen? Wow, cool. I hope they show it here on the weekend.. or sooner!

Well this was the first time I went to superbikes, realy nice.

But The TT from assen I have been there about 7 years, That's the best. We go in thursday in the evening and stay till race day. It's the best camping trip of the year. lots of :drinking: and crazy people

Terayon, um, I don't find bodily wate products to be particularly fun and enjoyable, so I take issue with your choice of words. It's nice you have such toys at your tender age, but, there have to be better ways to describe the level of enjoyment. Crude means and expressions lead to a crude life. Besides, "sweet ride" is generally the term used by anyone and everyone I know. :smile:

• 3 months later...

I don't know anyone who has had a bike for some time that hasen't fallen off and hurt them selves and maybe a loved one bad. Never the less nothing sounds as good as a Harley with pipes--well maybe a V8 stang with stright shots.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an R6 and the best I've done for riding it wearing heels would be a pair of 2.5" chunky heeled boots I used to own. Wasn't too bad to control, the brake was easy but the shifter knob was slightly too far forward for comfort, but thats not just a heel problem, I've got size 7 feet and I think it was sized for someone with 10's...

Stability wasnt a problem.. I could plant my feet easier at a light, and the notch hooked in well when I decided to ride past a friend in a wheelie :lol:

Although these may be a bit overdoing it, and may hamper riding safty..

Posted Image

Have fun everyone

Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

Dr Shoe sez "I wonder if a bike could be designed that you would have to wear ballets to ride it? " Well.. as far as standing and waiting in traffic or lights, I do know my dirtbike is a wee bit high to put both feet on the ground.. not even sure if ballet heels would work. I'm considering trading my sportbike in for a dual-sport, and I think the added height might make some mod's possible.. I'd just need to re-position the gear shifter and rear brake to work when pointing down vs flat footed... Might make for an interesting look, I do enjoy alternative uses for moto-cross gear :lol: It may not work great, but might be fun for a thrill.. give the red-necks something to get confused over. Have a good one everyone Jim

Ok, sounds like a chalange. I dug out my honda CR-250 and poped the motor apart to get it running again. Next step will be to fabricate a brake pedal, gear shifter, and find more heel friendly footpegs. Standing on my toes I can keep weight off the seat.. so this just might work with ballet boots :lol: Kickstarting it might be a bastard though... hehe Jim

Ok, sounds like a chalange. I dug out my honda CR-250 and poped the motor apart to get it running again. Next step will be to fabricate a brake pedal, gear shifter, and find more heel friendly footpegs. Standing on my toes I can keep weight off the seat.. so this just might work with ballet boots :lol:

Kickstarting it might be a bastard though... hehe

Jim

Get an electric starter then! :(

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 10 months later...

I have 2: a Yamaha V-Max and a old, restored Vincent. When I wanna scare myself I take the V-Max out. The Vincent is for shows only & is currently on loan to a collection. I came to own it when a friend who needed $$$ had to sell it. No-I don't wear my stilettos while I'm driving them.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to ride a race-prepped RD400. Loved it! Although I once went out on the back of my ex-gf's bike wearing her stiletto thigh boots, I wouldn't do it again. I personally would never ride in anything less than a full set of proper bike leathers, gloves, bike boots and full-face lid. I got knocked off going at about 50mph when an XR3i ran into me from behind. According to the paramedics I slid about 40 feet down the tarmac. My bike, leathers, boots and helmet were all a write-off, but I got away with torn back muscles and severe bruising from the impact. Very painful, but not permanent. Looking at the damage done to my boot and leather jeans the medics were of the opinion that had I not been wearing them I'd probably have lost my right leg at the knee. I'm not trying to put you off, bikes are possibly the best fun you can have with your clothes on, but you really need to be properly dressed. As for wearing heels on a bike, I'd say it was a big no-no. It's just not worth the risk if you come off. One of the girls I used to work with rode a GSXR 750. Very nice bike.