ST: TOS, ST:TNG, ST:DS9, ST:VOY, or ST:ENT...which one is be

Since Francis and I like Star Trek, I thought it would be fun to pose this question.... Which of the five Star Trek series' do you enjoy the most, and why? For me, it's Voyager since it has a strong female captain, and they have used more imagination when making the storylines. It's a nice break away from the "close to home" feel that the others have.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I love them all, but I agree about Voyager, it was a refreshing change to see some strong female charachters and they were more free with the storylines. I think I will enjoy Enterprise, it look's like there will be a lot of humour in it, it's been a chuckle all ready :smile:

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

BTW, on this side of the pond, Enterprise is only into it's third week :smile:

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

For me the best was season 4 of Deep Space Nine. Things got better when Worf arrived. But for a whole series, I agree that Voyager is best. Which reminds me, I still have to finish that Voyager model for the local sci-fi shop! :smile:

I liked the TNG best. Original was too 60's and corny forced unfunny humour, Janeway or whoever was just an annoying character, DS9 did not have the plot depth and situation, and I don't even know what the other one is. I've never even seen it. They should lay this series to rest now. After 4 or 5 of them, it's just a case of cashing in for all they can get. BTW, Francis has got a great Klingon outfit!

For me the answer is obvious, Next Generation blows them all away. That series was pure genius on the part of Gene Roddenberry. Voyager and the Original series are fairly equal in my mind, both are very good indeed.... but I'd give the slight edge to the original series. ST: Enterprise is decent, but it just doesnt seem as faithful to the ST legacy in my mind. I watch it and enjoy it, but it simply can't compare to Voyager, the Original, or Next Generation. I despise DS9... IMHO it absolutely stunk. It was an abhorridly bad show, and just an insult to everything ST is. I prefer to not even associate DS9 with Star Trek. Worf, and occasionally O'Brien are the only remotely bright spots in the entire series.

For me, the best one was TNG. If it weren't for that, I don't think DS9 and V'Ger would exsist. Although I do like the concept of 'Enterprise'. I have this wierd feeling that in the final epiode of this show, Capt. Archer and/or crew is going to meet up with a young Kirk or Spock to tie up the lose ends.

we can only hope but they'll probably end up doing some computerised stand in or a bit of transplanting in the same manner of the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribblations" where the Defiant went back in time and the timeline coincides with TOS episode "Trouble with Tribbles". It would be great if they tie the loose ends together to try and make the Star Trek universe run almost seamlessly.

Hi Francis, I remember that particular episode of DS9 very well. If I remember right, Terry Farrell looked very hot in the Orignal Series uniform. Wow! In my earlier post, I mentioned a possiblity of seeing a young Kirk or Spock on the final epsiode of 'Enterprise'. I realized in the final episodes of TNG and V'Ger, it had the going back in time or bouncing back and forth different timelines. This is another possibility with a final epsiode of 'Enterprise', meeting up with a Picard or Janeway. My mind wanders again :smile:

I think enterprise is going to take a couple of seasons to get of the ground, bit like tng did in the late 80's It looks very good though and I hope they do try to tie all the loose ends together

I had to look to see what this is all about. Oh well, so now I know :smile: The older Star Trek is much better than the newer stuff, but I'm not really into this trekky stuff so I'll go and post in one of the other forums. Debbie

This is a platform free shoe zone!

Having already seen around half the first series of enterprise (inspite of being in the UK, and not even having Sky), I reckon enterprise is great. It's interesting to see the way they've taken things back a step... no longer taking things like the transporter and universal translator for granted - it's nice to see that they actually deal with some of these mysteries as part of the plot in enterprise that they never approached in the other series'. Personally, my favourite stands at DS9. I think Voyager and Enterprise come a joint 2nd, and TNG 3rd. As for TOS, it's just poor beyond belief........ nuff said. SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

I'm in 100% agreement with Rand. In addition, TOS was certainly less refined as the later series, but so was I as a teenager. TNG plots were a quantam leap (pun intended seeing Scott Bakula is the star in "Enterprise") ahead of those of TOS, but both TOS and TNG certainly mirrored the issues of their respective times. All in all, how can anybody not like TOS episode where Kirk fights that lizard dude!? Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

• 3 weeks later...

I just don't like TOS, period. The sets, costumes, special effects, and story lines were all awful. I don't recall ever seeing an episode that doesn't end in Kirk having a fist fight. Cmon.. you know it sucks! It's nice to see that Enterprise is turning out really well... it's a very enjoyable series! SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

But then, Gene Roddenberry had his hand forced with ST:TOS, the studios wanted a wagon train to the stars and Gene originally gave them something far more "Cerebral", ultimately I think Gene won, but it took TNG to really make Star Trek take off, for this I think each series has it's merits

• 2 weeks later...

I think that as technically brilliant that ST9, TNG and Voyager are (I haven't seen Enterprise yet), I think that the whole lot is just moralistic crap! Don't get me wrong I watch them when I can, even TOS and I even know all the jargon look, but every episode tries too hard to send a "message". Have you noticed that only the aliens or "nasty humans" ever show the parts of humanity that make us such a bad species. Only the Romulans are arrogant, the Ferengi greedy, Klingons aggressive and violent (though now they're friends they have a rich culture!), The Dominian is Imperialistic, the Cardassians are sly and manipulative, etc. Why can't they show humans as they are like in Babylon 5 as selfish, aggressive and sneaky species we really are? Did anyone see Andromeda the other night? Is it me or is it Hercules in space?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

On 2002-03-12 02:55, ShockQueen wrote:

It's not "Hercules in space" - Kevin Sorbo acts a LOT better in Andromeda than he ever did in Hercules.

Agreed, but in Hurcules he was employing a type of acting called "Personality" where the actor generally play themselves. ie. Michael Caine, Roger Moore.

In Andromeda, he plays a character. Famous Charater actors include Richard Attenborough, David Jason.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.