Newbie - Loves Victorian era footwear

Hello again everyone,

I've been busy with school for the past month and am in my final week, so I will be able to post more after this week (exams) is over. :smile:

I watched the movie Moulin Rouge again today and realized what I want to do for Halloween this year! I am going to spend the summer learning how use a sewing machine and then I want to make this (or at least something that resembles it, if I have to really simplify it to make it easier to do):

Posted Image

This is the walking suit that Nicole Kidman's character (Satine) wears nearer the end of the movie. As the movie is set in 1899, the corset is imperative and the skirt has a very wide hemline. The main part of the outfit (sleeves, skirt, and upper bodice) is grey wool, and the accents (hat, collar, lower bodice, gloves, and edging) are black velvet. A veil of netting that drapes down from the hat covers the face.

Here is Satine in Moulin Rouge in the walking suit:

Posted Image

This is mostly wishful thinking, because there is only a small chance I will have become skilled enough to attempt that suit after the summer is over. I have looked, though, and have found numerous patterns for 1890s skirts that would be fairly easy for a beginner, but the jacket will be more difficult. However, I could find a pre-existing pattern for a period jacket and modify it to fit me and to look more like the film costume.

I also want to get a corset, because the suit won't look very authentic without one (the shape will be wrong). I'm keeping my eye open for an affordable corset; the off-the-peg ones from Romantasy.com are looking like good choices.

Edit: I'll post more later, including what boots I'm hoping to get.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Thanks,

EdwardianEra

If you want to learn to sew I suggest that you start with a simple straight skirt. The jacket on this outfit would be difficult to make even for an experienced dress maker and the flared skirt looks as if it has got at least 10 panels to it. Its not so much sewing it together, but fitting it to you will be the problem. Back in the seventies I used to make fifties style calf-length straight skirts as it was impossible to buy them at the time. Although they are simple to make, consisting of a small pleat, a back zip and 3 panels joined onto a waistband, it took me a long time to master the skills to make a good job of them. To make that outfit will take months, not only will you need a sewing machine, you will also need an Iron, a good pair of sharp scissors and a host of other things, not to mention a place to keep it all ! If you still want to make something I suggest that you go to your local library and borrow a book on sewing for beginners. If you want any more advice about sewing you can PM me

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

Hi Skirted-UK :wavey:

I agree that the jacket will prove extremely difficult to do. I think I'll save that for once I am much more advanced in sewing, or even have a seamstress make it. Considering my lack of female anatomy the chest area would be difficult to alter from a pattern, at least for a beginner like me.

As for the skirt, from what I can see in the movie I'm guessing it is at least a 7-9 gore design; you are probably closer with your estimate of 10. I'll try a few straight skirts and see how much difficulty I have with them before attempting a simple Victorian design.

I took your advice and got about ten books out of the library today on basic sewing and historical costuming. They are proving very interesting and will help immensely when I begin hands-on learning.

Today was my last day of school; I can hopefully pull down my mother's sewing machine out of the hall closet this weekend or next week and start practicing.

I really appreciate your input and advice, and I'll definitely PM you when the need arises (and I'm sure it will more than once). :smile:

Oh, I emailed Ann from Romantasy corsetry. She has no corsets in stock that will fit but I can have a standard one made (not a custom) for roughly $250. That is actually a good price, considering how well Romantasy makes their corsets. Now it's time to find that summer job to pay for it....

And I can't forget the footwear! What outfit would be complete without heels?

If I can gather enough money I might order these 1901 five-strap shoes from a friend I have in the reproduction shoe business, in black leather (sorry for the small picture):

Posted Image

If I can't, the Oak Tree Farms boots below can be found for $100 or less on eBay (I missed an auction that went for only $45; I'm still kicking myself for that).

Posted Image

The boots would be more period-correct for wear with a 1899 walking suit, but our Halloweens in Michigan are typically warm, humid nights, and I'd rather have a pair of low shoes that would let my feet breathe more. However, the shoes cost about $200, as they are custom made with choice of materials (leather, suede, satin, etc.), colours, and heel types and heights. So, unfortunately, the boots would be more economical.

Well, it's about time I retire for the night.

Thanks for your advice, Skirted-UK.

-EdwardianEra