Birmingham Fetish Fair, 20 October 2002

Yamyam

I've moved this to a new topic, as it was under London Fetish Fair. Basically, who's up for a trip to sunny Birmingnam, for the Birmingham Bizarre Bazaar? We plan to go on the 20th of October.

The dress code is 'whatever', so, as FireFox says, it's a great time to wear those 'bedroom only' heels. In fact, wear anything (or nothing :grin:)

There's a bar, at least one retailer of shoes (like we'd want anything else), plus a lot of... uh, 'other stuff' :smile:

More details, including map at http://www.brumbazaar.co.uk/main.htm

FF also suggested shopping in Birmingham on the Saturday - I'll organise a trip to Oasis, which is one of the more bohemian parts of Brum, where I've had a couple of good shopping experiences. I can't be free until early afternoon, but we can continue from there!

If you're interested, let me know as and when. PM me or mail me at yamyam848@hotmail.com, and I'll organise things. I don't want to post my mobile phone number here, but I'll PM it to a registered user of the board.

Hope to see you there!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

well, as I have already said "I'm there, dudes", I'm there ! Brum is a straight run from me along the A14 and onto the M6! Sorted! :smile: If anyone wants to come along, but can only make it as far as Kettering or a point along the way (Rugby, Coventry) then I have a car that comfortably seats 4 (with a covered back for any kinky stuff you might want to hide until we get there, or back!) :grin: Shout me on 07884135072 and we'll sort it !

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else feel like popping along? Not that I'm complaining about only having one person to talk to or anything, but it'd be nice to have a Midlands meet, as well as London ones. (Blimey - listen to me! I've only been in the Midlands for a few years and I'm complaining about everything happening in London :smile: )

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

You can count me in as well. I'm at a convention in Bristol on Saturday and should be home about 9pm. I have a settee and spare bed if anybody would like to sleep over on the Saturday night, they are more than welcome. Just give me a shout, I expect Xaphod will be stopping over.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

I'm up for that. Can we fit in Brum city centre as well on Sat? Plus go to the pubs round those canals in the evening. Just a suggestion.

I can only be free from about 2pm, but yeah, it'd be nice to be around the town for a change. I don't go to Brum that often, even though I live quite near it. As for an evening beer monstering, yes, most definitely.

FireFox asked me about this last night or so (in London, forgot phone charger!) New Street platform 1 is okay with me. As for 2pm Sat, I'll see, but I should be okay for that.

Perhaps we should bring our anoraks and the latest copy of Locoshed so we can recognise each other, or maybe the boots will be enough!

I assume "Locoshed" is a newspaper or magazine. But, what's an "anorak"?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

This is another example of british eccentricity (and taking the p*** out of each other) We have this hobby of trainspotting, which involves trying to see (spot) every different locomotive on the railways. These numbers are marked into the Locoshed book, which lists every locomotive and its home depot where it is maintained. As for anoraks, this describes a coat, just below waist length which became linked to trainspotting (everybody wore them). The term anorak then became used to describe anybody who has an in-depth knowledge of a subject. Yes we're all heel anoraks :smile: Yet another example of trans-atlantic differences. And yes you have trainspotting in the USA as well, but you call it railfanning, but it is much harder trying to spot every locomotive in the USA (the place is so much bigger, so people tend just to watch the trains or photograph them. Thats enough from this mine of useless information (who still has his locoshed book filled in from years of trainspotting)

Calv

I can't believe there are American trainspotters! I remember being in Germany a few years ago, trying to convince fellow Europeans that there was such a thing as a trainspotter!

I can't believe there are American trainspotters! I remember being in Germany a few years ago, trying to convince fellow Europeans that there was such a thing as a trainspotter!

Some US towns with a railway line passing through (Rochelle Illinois for one) have actually built platforms by the line so people can go and watch the trains pass by. Theres even a webcam at Rochelle so you can see the trains here!

Theres also a bunch of people who are trying to keep track of US locos which involves checking the builders number and underframe number of each locomotive. Sad people or dedicated historians - I prefer the latter as without their dedication details will be lost.

Strange how the Birmingham fetish fair thread has moved onto train spotting perhaps we should omit the fair and watch the trains instead :smile:

Calv

Strange how the Birmingham fetish fair thread has moved onto train spotting perhaps we should omit the fair and watch the trains instead :smile:

Noooooo! I had to go and see Thomas the Tank Engine the other week - that's me all trained out until 2003!

It is odd, though, how a bunch of British people get on to trainspotting!

I wouldn't mind the fetish fair, but no way would you find me on New Street. It's too much of a busman's holiday, working in RT control as I do. :smile: (and yes, I used to be a crank, sorry 47 basher many years ago).

I wouldn't mind the fetish fair, but no way would you find me on New Street. It's too much of a busman's holiday, working in RT control as I do. :smile: (and yes, I used to be a crank, sorry 47 basher many years ago).

I was also a basher many years ago, had all the 47's except the ones they crashed early on. Off to Germany next week for some steam cranking.

Perhaps we need to translate this into English!

Calv